Hot Seat Coaches

AU64

Just wondering after this weekend how the coaching situation looks at schools other than AU.

1. Is Odom going to make it at Mizz ?....he gave a hot post game talk detailing the problems and history.  Just wondering how long it could take him...or anyone to save that program....and notice the stadium was maybe 60%-70 full for an SEC game at the start and less than half at halftime..

2.   KS and BB....did either one of them help himself with that game?   Fun game to watch but for fans of both schools it had to be frustrating.  Jerry Jones was there of course ...so what does he do? 

3. Butch.....sneaked by UMass.......so how much longer does he have?

4.  Ed O....how long will it take LSU to realize what a big mistake they made? 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Sumlin has to get to 9 wins however that road goes.  That was a huge win for him Saturday.  He is going to lose to UA for sure and I feel like he loses to Auburn as well so that gives him 3 losses. I think he needs to run the table on the rest and if I'm not mistaken he has to play UF this year.  Tough road. 

I get the sense that the Arky follks really like BB and want him to stay and succeed.  I think he has a typical BB year with 7 wins and he sticks around but he will be under big time pressure next year. 

Jones has to be done at UT.  That was pitiful Saturday and he has had plenty of time to turn that thing around.  The way they lost to UF last week to me is inexcusable.  You cannot have a WR get behind your D in that situation.  UT is a proud program that has been average to below average for a decade.  They need to go and back up a truck to someone who can get that thing straight. 

I know they wouldn't want to but if the wheels come off at LSU and I think they could, then O may be a one year coach. 

Sumlin will probably be gone unless he wins out.  Isn't going to happen

Butthead at Arky I think will stay.  Like I said in another thread, Arkansas is geographically challenged when it comes to recruiting and unless things go into the toilet in four other schools they'll never recruit well. 

Coach O?  If he can instill some discipline in his team he may have a chance.  A small chance.  

Not sure about Odom.  His successor won't have much luck either as it's going to take a few years to get the wheels back on the entire university.  

Butch?  He's going to be coaching high school this time next year unless he wins a natty.  Every Tennessee fan I know hates the guy.  

On 9/24/2017 at 9:18 AM, AUFlyer99 said:

Butthead at Arky I think will stay.  Like I said in another thread, Arkansas is geographically challenged when it comes to recruiting and unless things go into the toilet in four other schools they'll never recruit well.   

This is true but he's lost games to Toledo, Texas Tech, Missouri, Virginia Tech and TCU (not even counting his first year which wasn't really his fault). We recruit better than all of those teams.

Nutt and Petrino either won the west or won 10 games by their 5th year.

2 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

This is true but he's lost games to Toledo, Texas Tech, Missouri, Virginia Tech and TCU (not even counting his first year which wasn't really his fault). We recruit better than all of those teams.

I'm just wondering what Jerry Jones thinks....or how much he might influence the decision but he could not have been very happy at the game Saturday...

3 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

I'm not sure I'd hold year 2 against him either after the Petrino fire than John L. Smith threw dynamite on.  

Nutt coached in a different era.  Any time before Coach Garden Gnome got to UAT is a different era. 

30 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

I'm not sure I'd hold year 2 against him either after the Petrino fire than John L. Smith threw dynamite on.  

There was a massive improvement that year though. The thing that really hurts him is not winning more than 7-8 games in 2014 and 2015. We were like top 5 in the SEC in players drafted those two years so there was quite a bit of talent on those teams, we just lost more close games than maybe any team in the country. Hard to imagine how you can lose to Toledo and Texas Tech and then go 5-3 in the SEC and finish 3rd in the west. Just win those games and boom, you have a 10 win season and there's probably no hot seat talk.

That's probably as good as it's going to get for him here. I don't think Arkansas fans expect anything more than 8 wins most years but you have to have one season where you win more than that eventually.

Right now I would have to guess Sumlin is on the hottest seat of all SEC coaches but Jones is getting to the point where he can ask is it warm in here or is it me? I have never seen what the big to-do is about Jones.

26 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Right now I would have to guess Sumlin is on the hottest seat of all SEC coaches but Jones is getting to the point where he can ask is it warm in here or is it me? I have never seen what the big to-do is about Jones.

Tennessee is about like all of the other schools where there are coaching questions....they have no assurance of being able to do any better if/when they make a change.   He did well at Cincinnati and in the MAC and guess that's where UT would  have to go again for his successor.

In my view, the thing that most "hot seat' coaches have going for them is the absence of solid candidates who can replace them...

Gus is not 100% off his out seat. After Miss. State and Ole Miss, we still have to play at  LSU, at Arkansas, at Texas A&M before we close out with 3 straight home games. Georgia, Louisiana-Monroe and Alabama.

We will have a much better idea in the next 3 weeks.

IMO Butch is gone. He will probably get smoked by UGA and his next games are USCe and Alabama. Unless he beats alabama he is done.

Sumlin has the second hottest seat and he must win 9-10 games, but he might actually survive IF he beats AU and LSU. I think he would have to beat both. 

ARK coach BB will probably survive. There is a good chance that they will looks to alabama, AU, and MS St but they also have 4 guaranteed wins left on the schedule. Plus they have LSU on the road and I am not sure about that team yet.

LSU's O is the biggest mystery to me. First of all they can't fire him because of his buyout. Supposedly it is $12 mil which is insane. But LSU so far has looked terrible. Not great on D, suspect on O, and they have tough games left. The AU game is going to be big for them. They have not lost at home to us in 18 years. 

As crazy as this sounds, I think TAM's and LSU's season ride on the AU game. They lose at home and their fans will be irate. They win and it will be their biggest win this season (because they are not beating alabama). 

On 9/25/2017 at 6:12 PM, AU64 said:

Tennessee is about like all of the other schools where there are coaching questions....they have no assurance of being able to do any better if/when they make a change.   He did well at Cincinnati and in the MAC and guess that's where UT would  have to go again for his successor.

In my view, the thing that most "hot seat' coaches have going for them is the absence of solid candidates who can replace them...

I hope there are coaches with better decision making skills than Butch Jones. If not, the pool of good coaches is greatly diminished. 

I do think that Butch will be around for another year as long as he can get 8 wins. Remember, UT went through a serious drought before Butch and I think he has another year left get a 10 win season.'

Sumlin will be gone at the end of the season unless he goes 5-3 minimum on the SEC.

BB will get another year unless he winds up 5-7 or worse.

Gus.......he has got to go no worse than 5-3 and one of those has to be either Uga or the turds.

Coach O gets one more year unless he loses out. I just think Lsu does not want to go through another coaching search so soon without giving coach O a chance to prove himself.

Odom at Mizzou is just a bad fit and he will be gone at seasons end.

So with the following potential teams looking for a new coach after this year (or possibly during):
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Auburn
Missouri

It's going to be a new coaches dream, basically getting to pick where you want to go.  Now, I don't think all 6 teams end up looking for a new coach but I could see probably 3.  Just some thought, what if all 6 teams end up firing their coach.  If we wait long enough we might end up with someone that's not our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th choice.  I'm not saying fire Gus today, but if we continue to struggle with the same things and we are considering firing him might be best to do it sooner rather then after the season and bowl games.  As there is a good possibility we would be battling a couple of different schools for a coach.

Or lets just win out and then we don't have a concern. :) 

A few thoughts.

If Louisville's AD is fired (currently only suspended w/pay), Petrino's buyout is cut in half, down to $4.25M.

Despite that, the Louisville MBB toxicity may taint Petrino, who still has a reputation to overcome.

At AU, with the issues with Softball and Title IX, and now MBB, and the very real prospect of an AD change, can we really deal with another drama? I think as long as Gus doesn't totally crater, he probably continues into next season.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, AU64 said:

Just wondering after this weekend how the coaching situation looks at schools other than AU.

1. Is Odom going to make it at Mizz ?....he gave a hot post game talk detailing the problems and history.  Just wondering how long it could take him...or anyone to save that program....and notice the stadium was maybe 60%-70 full for an SEC game at the start and less than half at halftime..

2.   KS and BB....did either one of them help himself with that game?   Fun game to watch but for fans of both schools it had to be frustrating.  Jerry Jones was there of course ...so what does he do? 

1. Odom , I think will not survive.
2. KS better pull a rabbit out of his hat, BB might survive if he can win 7  games maybe even 6.
3. I don't see anyway for Butch Jones to avoid getting fired. As disappointed as I am with the loss to Clemson and with the way the offense started the year again with Gus as head coach. I would rather have Gus .
4. If coach O can some how beat the truds he will not be fired, even though I don't think he should have been hired to begin with.

On 9/24/2017 at 6:41 AM, AU64 said:

Coach O isn't on the hot seat. He needs bad loses and the rest of the year before they put on him on the hot seat. That Uf loss was ridiculous though. He practically just started it seems. I would Not compare him to the others. 

Gus is on the hot seat for sure! 

5. Jim Mora

6. Mike Riley

7. Todd Graham

8. Rich Rodriguez

20 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Coach O isn't on the hot seat. He needs bad loses and the rest of the year before they put on him on the hot seat. That Uf loss was ridiculous though. He practically just started it seems. I would Not compare him to the others. 

Gus is on the hot seat for sure! 

5. Jim Mora

6. Mike Riley

7. Todd Graham

8. Rich Rodriguez

R_The Troy loss would be a bad one for Coach O. I feel Troy turning on the heat. 

Butch Jones is dead in the water at this point.

There's probably a lot of Cajuns digging in their pockets to pitch in for the $12 Million buyout. That said, it's only his first full year. He has some slack.

Bielema is a toss-up. They'll beat Ole' Miss, Coastal Carolina, and most likely LSU... and should win either MSU or Mizzou. Will Arkansas pull the trigger if he goes 6-6/7-5? I'm not sure.

I agree with AUFlyer99, Mizzou has more issues than football which IMO caused the downward trend for Mizzou. Odom and Mizzou could still go 6-6 with wins against Idaho, UConn, Tennessee and tougher wins against Kentucky, Vandy, and Arkansas. IF they can squeeze out 6-6 then Odom ought to have a chance to build the program his way.

Sumlin as of right now stays in my opinion. No way they beat Bama next week (fingers crossed I'm wrong) and I think we should beat them. Florida is a toss-up but the November stretch is very manageable. At best they finish strong at season's end at 9-3 at worst 7-5. 9-3 lets Sumlin keep his job.

Can't really speak for the non-SEC schools

As noted, Odom has more problems than football....just thinking that with his passion for Mizz, if he can't get it done, I'm not sure there are any hired guns who could deal with the politics and social issues affecting the school and coach a football team too.  The school is in a bad way.....just wondering if that carries over to their basketball program which for years was pretty solid.  

Otherwise....the real Ed O showed up even sooner than I expected.   The guy can't help it but he's just a coordinator and recruiter and should stick to that. ...nothing wrong with that and making a good living before he signed up as the HC....and with the buy-out he's set for life.

Archived