Hot Seat Coaches

AU64

7 hours ago, keesler said:

All due respect AU64, but Gus put himself in a situation where he is coaching for his job.  Over the last 2-3 yrs the fans, PTB, big money Boosters, and quite obviously the Administration have grown tired of the what they've seen from the coaching staff .

Poor player development, poor roster management, inept play calling, questionable player/recruit evaluation, head scratching in-game decisions, unwillingness to adjust/evolve schemes, etc., etc,. etc........When folks in high places at AU have to dress down the HC and literally pull the clip board out of his hand to force their agenda, then things are not good.

But, winning cures everything and CGM has a huge opportunity in front of him.  Get it done in Baton Rouge ~  WDE!

This. The thoughts of many. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

This. The thoughts of many. 

But not all of us I guess....but the final comment is definitely true....winning solves a lot of problems.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

But not all of us I guess....but the final comment is definitely true....

And that is okay. You know what they say about opinions. ;D

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

And that is okay. You know what they say about opinions. ;D

Yep....even A**H*** have them ....or is that the other way around.....I forget....:)

I must say, and this is directed at no one, if this board is a microcosm of the pressure on Gus, then I don’t know how he’s able to function, four million or not.  I read a comment about his playing not to lose. Understandable with the play by play microscope he’s under.  I Know many will say it’s deserved but that type of pressure leads to micro managing.   Just a thought.

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I must say, and this is directed at no one, if this board is a microcosm of the pressure on Gus, then I don’t know how he’s able to function, four million or not.  I read a comment about his playing not to lose. Understandable with the play by play microscope he’s under.  I Know many will say it’s deserved but that type of pressure leads to micro managing.   Just a thought.

If there is pressure on Gus its coming from boosters and alumni who are tired of average football not people on a message board.  If our head coach is reading message boards or listening to fans he is in over his head worse than we thought.  He can cure all by winning, more specifically by actually beating teams that matter and not just the Mississippi schools and Mizzou.  

13 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

If there is pressure on Gus its coming from boosters and alumni who are tired of average football not people on a message board.  If our head coach is reading message boards or listening to fans he is in over his head worse than we thought.  He can cure all by winning, more specifically by actually beating teams that matter and not just the Mississippi schools and Mizzou.  

Sorry...my microcosm comment was meant to infer similar pressure coming from more important people like boosters and alumni than those on a message board. I sincerely hope he does not even read message boards.

Well, getting off the Auburn subject for a minute, I would have bet good money on Sumlin being the one sure to go this year and depending on how they finish he may still but now it seems BB is the sure thing at Arky.  I really thought he would survive because really how much better can Arky do?  But that loss to SC was baaaaad and he is probably about to take two more beatings the next two weeks.  If they do keep him it will be because they can't find anyone else....or because they like his wife...

Jen "The Pole Dancer" Bielima's looks can only take BB so far......the unrest within the fan base right now is at a fever pitch.  They are down right sick of his bumbling, fumbling mess.  He has brought in the highest ranked recruiting classes (in the 20's) they've ever seen, their players have primarily stayed out of trouble and in good academic standing. 

There really is no excuse for the lack of development of those players.  BB has a nice group of 4*'s on that team, they're just poorly developed and it's reflected in the fact that he's starting a freshman walk-on while he has 2-4*'s at the same position that have been in the system sitting the bench.

On the hot seat and playing Alabama and then Auburn back to back that can't end well for anyone especially after a demoralizing lose to USCe.  

13 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

You're right, Gus has to beat bama and uga. But if he had lost to Mizzou or either one or both of the Mississippi schools his fate would already be decided.

8 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

You're right, Gus has to beat bama and uga. But if he had lost to Mizzou or either one or both of the Mississippi schools his fate would already be decided.

What about if we lose to LSU? Do you think that is the same category as those three schools now?

We are 3-0 SEC and playing very well with room to improve and a very talented roster. I know...Let's fire our Coach!!! ......I am gonna take some aspirin and  get a nap. Being an AU man did not used to be this difficult. (Go ahead.  Attack if you must. )?

4 hours ago, WarTim said:

We are 3-0 SEC and playing very well with room to improve and a very talented roster. I know...Let's fire our Coach!!! ......I am gonna take some aspirin and  get a nap. Being an AU man did not used to be this difficult. (Go ahead.  Attack if you must. )?

Not an attack, just a sober reminder to look at who is in the "W" column.  I have significantly changed my perspective more on the progression of the offense and not how many or how big the wins.  Offensive line is getting more consistent, but the run game still lacks creativity and consistency.  Wide receivers are light years better, competing for balls and blocking in the run game.  We've got to get the TE involved and where is the wheel route that has always been good for a half dozen TD's a year?  The difficult thing, and prepare yourself, is if we soundly beat LSU (I'm convinced we will) there will still be truth in the idea that we  haven't played a really good team since Clemson.  Same will be said after victories over Arkansas and aTm.  

I agree. But instead of waiting for a "good" win, I think I will enjoy any and all wins. JMHO

18 hours ago, eibua12 said:

On the hot seat and playing Alabama and then Auburn back to back that can't end well for anyone especially after a demoralizing lose to USCe.  

The fact that we can be lumped in to this group should be enough to give this board a wait and see approach at the very least. We have dominated 3 SEC teams in a row and it seems the critics have just doubled down in their search for trouble. I personally wanted Gus gone last year but he is here this year, so maybe, just maybe we try just a little support for a change?  Strange idea I know but it may just work :wareagle:

On 10/9/2017 at 10:26 AM, OnthePlains said:

At some point Auburn will have to decide what it wants to be in football.

I think lots of AU people know what they at want .....just the getting there that is the problem since we are in a conference with a bunch of other schools the same want..  .  

Clemson struck gold with Dabo and they happen to be in a conference of mostly non-football schools.   But if we look all around us we see other schools who have a problem getting where they want to be.....the most prominent recent examples include Tennessee, Texas, LSU, Notre Dame and Nebraska just to mention a few schools with a rich football history who can't find the magic these days despite the money they are spending to try.  Even Michigan without a conference championship in more than 10 years. 

Just now, AU64 said:

I think lots of AU people know what they at want .....just the getting there that is the problem since we are in a conference with a bunch of other schools the same want..  .  

Clemson struck gold with Dabo and they happen to be in a conference of mostly non-football schools.   But if we look all around us we see other schools who have a problem getting where they want to be.....the most prominent recent examples include Tennessee, Texas, LSU, Notre Dame and Nebraska just to mention a few schools with a rich football history who can't find the magic these days despite the money they are spending to try.  Even Michigan without a conference championship in more than 10 years. 

I agree but does that mean we just settle?  I'm not asking for the world here and I don't think most reasonable Auburn people are.  I would just like to see a couple of 10 plus win seasons, make a run at the playoff every 3 or 4 years, go .500 against uga and bama over a 6 year span and compete most years for the West.  I really don't think that should be unrealistic for Auburn.  Especially considering that LSU is probably about to experience a down turn, the rest of the West is back to being mediocre outside of bama, and sooner or later Saban will leave and bama will dip back down.  The mighty SEC is not that mighty right now so it shouldn't be that difficult to just be a little better than average.  We've seen what this program can do when its up, I just can't figure out why we can't stay up more than down?  Admittedly its not just a Gus problem, its an Auburn problem.  We have lost 11 of 15 to UGA but we have a natty and a second SEC Title and they haven't won anything in what like 10 years or more?  We obviously are on a major losing stretch to bama but most schools are.  I would just like more consistency in between the magical years like 04, 10 and 13. 

5 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

The mighty SEC is not that mighty right now so it shouldn't be that difficult to just be a little better than average. 

Agree...the thing is, most of the SEC problems are self inflicted wounds by schools trying to match NS these past few years.  Georgia might have broken even on the coaching swap (a bit early to tell) but most of the conference is trending down it seems....or treading water at best.   

Just hoping we don't suffer the same fate as some of the other traditional strong SEC teams. ....."the perfect is the enemy of the good"  .....something a number of them have learned the hard way.

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree...the thing is, most of the SEC problems are self inflicted wounds by schools trying to match NS these past few years.  Georgia might have broken even on the coaching swap (a bit early to tell) but most of the conference is trending down it seems....or treading water at best.   

Just hoping we don't suffer the same fate as some of the other traditional strong SEC teams. ....."the perfect is the enemy of the good"  .....something a number of them have learned the hard way.

Man you are not really reading what I'm saying.  I am not asking for perfection or to match what Saban is doing.   A couple of 10 win seasons and contending every 3 or 4 years for a title is not unreasonable.  And it would be hard to suffer that fate when we are not exactly on top the last decade.  We have had 2 good seasons and 8 average ones.  What are we risking???  And again, I'm not even necessarily advocating for a change yet but to dismiss the notion of a coaching change because we're scared of what the next coach would be???  Again, what are we risking?  Giving up our 7 or 8 win seasons and Birmingham Bowl title?  I swear I'm not trying to argue with you or anyone else I just fail to see why all the loyalty to a coach who has accomplished exactly zilch since his first year.  

I would also add that, as I have several times before, Alabama and their crooked machine is the reason that teams like Auburn and Georgia and Florida and LSU... etc. have as much pressure as they do to win championships year-in and year out.

I agree that Auburn should be be in that position to win consistently but not 10 years ago 8-9 wins and another victory over UAT was good job security. Compare that to the toothless cousins who, for as long as I can remember, have expected "nashnul champyunships" every year. 

Personally I think we're primed to be in a good position. As much as it pains me that Malzahn's growth as a head coach has been slow, he has been showing growth regardless. We have excellent recruiting that will only get better as the rest of the SEC undergoes the HC shuffle and Auburn showing consistency. Stay strong fam. In 10 years when Saban and Emmert are out of college sports someone will blow the whistle and expose Bama for what they've done and we'll be on the right side of history.

3 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Man you are not really reading what I'm saying.  I am not asking for perfection or to match what Saban is doing.   A couple of 10 win seasons and contending every 3 or 4 years for a title is not unreasonable.  And it would be hard to suffer that fate when we are not exactly on top the last decade.  We have had 2 good seasons and 8 average ones.  What are we risking???  And again, I'm not even necessarily advocating for a change yet but to dismiss the notion of a coaching change because we're scared of what the next coach would be???  Again, what are we risking?  Giving up our 7 or 8 win seasons and Birmingham Bowl title?  I swear I'm not trying to argue with you or anyone else I just fail to see why all the loyalty to a coach who has accomplished exactly zilch since his first year.  

We are not that far apart.....so let's see what happens this year and continue this in December perhaps..:)

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We are not that far apart.....so let's see what happens this year and continue this in December perhaps..:)

Sounds good to me 64. Thanks for the discussion.

Archived