Hot Seat Coaches

AU64

Hmmm...only asking for a couple 10 win seasons and a run at the playoffs every 3-4 years....seems I remember 4 years ago we were there and 3 years before that we won it all and this year looks possible ......pretty much defines the 3-4 years thing doesn't it :dunno:  

Im guessing the real expectation is for those great seasons every few years and pretty much every other season to have 10 wins. Not out of the question and yes the last couple years have been a bit of a disappointment, but seeing as we are currently in the top 10 and undefeated in SEC play with the best D we've seen in years and an offense that looks potentially top 3 of our conference, I'm taking a wait and see attitude.  Even if we end up 9-3 this year, if our losses are nail biters instead of the disasters we've seen before and with a lot of the team returning next year, Id only expect improvement next year.  Changing coaches in that situation, especially with the likely unreal amount of potential teams in the SEC alone this year competing for coaches, just doesn't seem the best potential outcome to me. If we end up a respectable 9-3 team I'd be fine with Gus returning and building on the progress made this year. 8-4 with an ugly loss and I'd bet he may be gone and we hope and pray the next guy is better (because he may not be...just ask TN, Arky, LSU, USCe, Mizzou, Vandy and on and on and on) JMO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* Nick Saban, Alabama – 11th season (2007)

* Dan Mullen, Mississippi State – 9th season (2009)

* Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M – 6th season (2012)

* Bret Bielema, Arkansas – 5th season (2013)

* Gus Malzahn, Auburn – 5th season (2013)

* Butch Jones, Tennessee – 5th season (2013)

* Mark Stoops, Kentucky – 5th season (2013)

* Derek Mason, Vanderbilt – 4th season (2014)

* Jim McElwain, Florida – 3rd season (2015)

* Kirby Smart, Georgia – 2nd season (2016)

* Barry Odom, Missouri – 2nd season (2016)

* Will Muschamp, South Carolina – 2nd season (2016)

* Ed Orgeron, LSU - 2nd Season (2016 Interim to Permanent) 

*Matt Luke, Ole Miss - 1st season (2017)

On 10/10/2017 at 11:07 AM, keesler said:

Jen "The Pole Dancer" Bielima's looks can only take BB so far......the unrest within the fan base right now is at a fever pitch.  They are down right sick of his bumbling, fumbling mess.  He has brought in the highest ranked recruiting classes (in the 20's) they've ever seen, their players have primarily stayed out of trouble and in good academic standing. 

There really is no excuse for the lack of development of those players.  BB has a nice group of 4*'s on that team, they're just poorly developed and it's reflected in the fact that he's starting a freshman walk-on while he has 2-4*'s at the same position that have been in the system sitting the bench.

Turns out his buyout is "only" $6 million and not the reported $15 million...after this came out in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette this morning I think he's done.

Bielema’s actual buyout is determined by a formula included within the language of his original deal, which was made effective Dec. 4, 2012, and signed the next August. 

It uses the $15.4 million figure as a numerator and divides that by the total number of months (97) in the full term of his contract. That figure of $158,762.88, called the “monthly value of the total guaranty payment,” would then be multiplied by the remaining number of months on the contract, which runs through Dec. 31, 2020. 

Based on that equation, Arkansas would owe Bielema about $5.874 million to terminate his contract after the season concludes Nov. 24, plus a prorated amount for any partial months of employment.

2 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Turns out his buyout is "only" $6 million and not the reported $15 million...after this came out in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette this morning I think he's done.

Well now he may really be in trouble if its $6 million. I could see happen if it continues to go south. How do the hog fans feel about BB?

Power...did  you intend to leave out Orgeron...or do you consider that he is already gone? 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Well now he may really be in trouble if its $6 million. I could see happen if it continues to go south. How do the hog fans feel about BB?

Like him as a person, hate him as a coach. With Nutt people were 50/50 about wanting him gone, I'd say 90% of our fans agree that it's time for Bielema to move on. Pretty telling.

16 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Like him as a person, hate him as a coach. With Nutt people were 50/50 about wanting him gone, I'd say 90% of our fans agree that it's time for Bielema to move on. Pretty telling.

Do you guys have a replacement in mind? 

11 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Probably the typical list from an SEC school looking for a coach.

Belichick

Gruden

Chip Kelly

Gary Patterson

Petersen

And they will end up with the guy from Troy U.  or  South Dakota

Just now, AU64 said:

Probably the typical list from an SEC school looking for a coach.

Belichick

Gruden

Chip Kelly

Gary Patterson

Petersen

And they will end up with the guy from Troy U.  or  South Dakota

Neal Brown may have cooled off a little with that pitiful performance from Troy on Weds. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Neal Brown may have cooled off a little with that pitiful performance from Troy on Weds. 

True...his chances for the upcoming LSU job definitely dropped ....but there is always Arky out there for him.

Just now, AU64 said:

True...his chances for the upcoming LSU job definitely dropped ....but there is always Arky out there for him.

I like Coach Brown but I'm not sure he is ready for an SEC job.  I'm cooling on the whole coaching change thing if for no other reason that it seems there is a real shortage of talented head coaching prospects out there.  Arky might be wise to give BB a year or two more.  If they end up in the same market with A&M and UT thats not good for them. 

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Power...did  you intend to leave out Orgeron...or do you consider that he is already gone? 

No, I can't imagine they would fire him after a year and a half (or so).  They're crazy, but not nuts, are they?  I just simply left him out, good catch.

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

No, I can't imagine they would fire him after a year and a half (or so).  They're crazy, but not nuts, are they?  I just simply left him out, good catch.

Shoot, I though they might fire him after the Troy game....and did not take USCw long to figure out he was not their guy.   

Hoping AU can help shorten his HC career tomorrow night. :)

Just because Auburn is 5-1 as I write this message, we have a long ways to go. Gus could end either 11-1 or 6-6. However, even if we end up 8-4 again, Gus will still be on the hot seat and he could get his walking papers.

8 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

If Long is making the hire it will probably come out of nowhere like Bielema did.

The hogville fans seem to want leach. Mike Norvell might be a good fit since he has Arkansas connections. Justin Fuente is probably a pipe dream and can't see him leaving VT, but he is from Tulsa so he'd be close to home here.

Not really sure but I wouldn't be surprised if we hired a spread coach with more connections to the south this time. Jeff Brohm is another that's popular with fans with him being a Petrino disciple.

8 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

If Long is making the hire it will probably come out of nowhere like Bielema did.

The hogville fans seem to want leach. Mike Norvell might be a good fit since he has Arkansas connections. Justin Fuente is probably a pipe dream and can't see him leaving VT, but he is from Tulsa so he'd be close to home here.

Not really sure but I wouldn't be surprised if we hired a spread coach with more connections to the south this time. Jeff Brohm is another that's popular with fans with him being a Petrino disciple.

Does Brohm own a motorcycle and like blondes?

• 1 month later...

Archived