Defensive Ends

lala

These are the best combo we've have in a long time.   I have a man crush on Davidson, not sure if it is because his hustle or his smile, enjoyment of the game, but they are both killing it.   Back-ups are extremely active as well.   

Davidson and Holland best combo in league and Coe is not far off from either of them. Holland is out producing what Carl did any year he was here thus far. Maybe not stat wise cause I'm not sure how many he has but he disrupts the play  so much.

26 minutes ago, lala said:

These are the best combo we've have in a long time.   I have a man crush on Davidson, not sure if it is because his hustle or his smile, enjoyment of the game, but they are both killing it.   Back-ups are extremely active as well.   

They are really coming into their own.  I like the edge guys right now.

Davidson is as good of a run stopping/pass rushing combo DE as there comes. And Holland is in the QBs face almost every single pass — more productive than Carl or Dee so far. Couple that with inside guys like Russell and Williams who are elite run stoppers and bat passes down. We have the most productive DL right now.

There is swagger and then there is a nastiness that is often referred to as "flipping the switch" (not dirty play).  We have had some great talent without much of that component on defense in the last decade or more.  This group is developing some nasty and Jeff Holland has all the makings of more than just a really good edge rusher.

Rodney has done a great job with those guys.  I was worried about him when we were having all the problems with the defense a few years ago but the whole group has really come on and I think they have been the key to the turnaround.  

They play with good technique. We look  much different on the DL than we did in 2013 and 2014. Even the third teamers were playing with their hands. Good to see that. 

8 minutes ago, kd4au said:

The entire D is really playing good, not much to find fault with  on that side of the team.

Agree.  We hear a lot about our guys not performing to their star rating but these guys surely are.   

Can't say enough good things about Davidson, Coe and Holland. One of the things I really like about Holland is when he gets to the QB he closes the deal. You don't see him whiff very often. On the inside keep your eye on that Truesdell kid, the true Freshman. Strong as an ox, big and he can move. 

From a scheme/technique standpoint, anybody have any wisdom into why our Bucks are 240-250lbs and not lighter for pass rushing? Holland is killing it, but there is a drop off after that. Is this just a current talent gap? TD got int he game but was sluggish and could not disengage with the OL. @bigbird 

58 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

From a scheme/technique standpoint, anybody have any wisdom into why our Bucks are 240-250lbs and not lighter for pass rushing? Holland is killing it, but there is a drop off after that. Is this just a current talent gap? TD got int he game but was sluggish and could not disengage with the OL. @bigbird 

I would guess that any sluggishness on TD's part is due to his brain and not his body. Holland is far quicker this season than in seasons past and I theorize it's because he knows what he's doing now. Instant reaction versus even the slightest indecision. TD will get there, too. 250 lbs is nothing for a rush end. I think Dee Ford and Corey Lemonier both played at 245+. Lawson, too. 

On 9/24/2017 at 0:44 PM, weagl1 said:

Rodney has done a great job with those guys.  I was worried about him when we were having all the problems with the defense a few years ago but the whole group has really come on and I think they have been the key to the turnaround.  

The way Garner has come on post-Muschamp is one of the more incredible stories of the last however many years. Not saying he suddenly learned how to recruit or coach, but he singlehandedly saved that recruiting class and has since turned our DL into a team-defining group, and one of the two best in the country. (Clemson will own the draft this year. It will be ours next year.) Anyway, if we actually do take advantage of this window we've got, Rodney Garner will be as instrumental to it as anyone. 

On 9/24/2017 at 0:09 PM, austudnt23 said:

Davidson and Holland best combo in league and Coe is not far off from either of them. Holland is out producing what Carl did any year he was here thus far. Maybe not stat wise cause I'm not sure how many he has but he disrupts the play  so much.

I'm going to be pretty obnoxious about this, but...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw Coe and Davidson on the ends with Holland at middle linebacker on a few non-passing downs Saturday. Was i seeing things? 

How many DL are we playing in the depth chart?  It seems we are close on depth to last season and bods well for the rest of season.

On 9/25/2017 at 0:48 PM, creed said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I saw Coe and Davidson on the ends with Holland at middle linebacker on a few non-passing downs Saturday. Was i seeing things? 

You are correct. Noticed also

The core group is Holland, Davidson, Coe, and James at DE/Buck with Russell, Brown, and Williams at DT. Then, we're working Truesdell at DT, Moultry at Buck, and Bryant at DE into the rotation over time. Gary Walker is also working at DT but seems to be behind Truesdell.

That's seven guys in the core with three young guys getting more and more reps as the season goes on and another experienced guy for depth. We're playing 9-11 guys every game.

Want the coolest news? There is not a single Senior in that rotation. They could all return next year if they choose. Plus, you'd add Dequan Newkirk.

Archived