Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Mizzou).....

JMR

I would like to ask a question of the group about something I saw last night. After several of the series that Malik Willis was in, he was shown talking to an Auburn staffer of the sidelines.  Anyone know who that staffer was?

• Like 3

Holland looks way quicker coming off the line than he has in years past. And I agree 100%  on Matthews he is playing like fans hoped he would after transferring to AU. I'm still not sold offensively but this defense is legit.

• Like 1

Malik is quick.  I mean real quick.  And it appears that he is going to give us that true dual threat QB position that so many have said that CGM offenses needs to be successful.

However, he seemed to be a little too quick to pull the ball and run last night.  I'm going to chalk it up to being nervous and wanting to impress but against better defenses, he will need to slow it down a bit to make the right read and let the plays develop.  Nonetheless, I think we got a good one in Malik Willis.  Looking forward to watching him play more.

And, I like your assessment of McBryde.  He was one of my favorite LB targets and I was excited to see him sign with Auburn.  I too thought he looked very good last night and played well.  We finally have quality depth at the LB position so I'm afraid we won't get to see much more of McBryde but he looked like a baller in the Mizzou game.

• Like 1

The fact that Stidham made plays with his feet is big going forward. He's not Nick Marshall but more athletic that I thought. Defenses will have to respect that and it should open the playbook for CL  a little more.

• Like 2

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
3 hours ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

I would like to ask a question of the group about something I saw last night. After several of the series that Malik Willis was in, he was shown talking to an Auburn staffer of the sidelines.  Anyone know who that staffer was?

Cole weeks offensive GA is the young man with the headset talking to both Stidham and Willis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great job as always coach! It was nice to be able to relax and enjoy the game in the second half for a change!

• Like 2

Your posts after the game is something I really look forward to every week. You are fair and balanced In your observations unlike a lot of posters....myself included.'tis a treat indeed and you help make the aufam experience fun. Thanks for taking the time for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw more inability for Auburn to execute a successful screen pass, running back or wide out. I do not understand why Auburn has such difficulty with screens. Can anyone provide insight?

5 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Darrell Williams played well and Atkinson caused a fumble while making some big Tackles. Broussard is the DB who made most mistakes imo, the others looked good. Did Dean play? Never saw his name.

Dean started in place of Javaris Davis at corner, who was held out with Tre Williams. 

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The fact that Stidham made plays with his feet is big going forward. He's not Nick Marshall but more athletic that I thought. Defenses will have to respect that and it should open the playbook for CL  a little more.

I thought he took a couple hits I wish he didn't.  One close to the sideline and near the goal line looked like he was a little groggy 

id like for him to learn to take a hit better.  He doesn't appear to be the type to dole hits out

6 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Cole weeks offensive GA is the young man with the headset talking to both Stidham and Willis.

Looked to me like he was mostly relaying info from Chip Lyndsey in the box. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Dean started in place of Javaris Davis at corner, who was held out with Tre Williams. 

Thought so, just couldn't remember his name being called... Probably because he shut his guy down all night... Dinson is gonna be a shut down DB, future is so bright. I'd like to see Broussard add weight 205-210lbs and play Safety or like the role Threzie played. 

I so appreciate these posts, Coach.

My big worry all along has been run blocking and receivers getting open. Well, we got receivers open. But the run blocking still leaves me thinking we have some tough matchups ahead. What do y'all think?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Thought so, just couldn't remember his name being called... Probably because he shut his guy down all night... Dinson is gonna be a shut down DB, future is so bright. I'd like to see Broussard add weight 205-210lbs and play Safety or like the role Threzie played. 

Other than that 1 PI call, I thought Broussard did a good job in man coverage.

19 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I so appreciate these posts, Coach.

My big worry all along has been run blocking and receivers getting open. Well, we got receivers open. But the run blocking still leaves me thinking we have some tough matchups ahead. What do y'all think?

Absolutely we have to get better with our run blocking, although I thought it was better this week than it has been. To be fair, a lot of our runs so far have been inside zones against a 3-3 box. That defensive alignment is tough on the inside zone, with 5 offensive linemen to block 6 defenders. We've accounted for the sixth guy some using Chandler Cox as a lead blocker, but still, 6 vs 6 is NOT a numerical advantage, which is something you strive for as an OC. This week, we ran a LOT more perimeter stuff, which puts a lot of pressure on "overhang" defenders (kind of half-in and half-out of the box), which have been making a ton of tackles in our first three games. But, other than Braden Smith, none of our offensive linemen have been consistently "overpowering". Work to be done, for sure, but I do like the combination of Dunn at center and Golson at right tackle. We'll find out this week whether we can handle a fairly physical defensive front.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yeah he looked good but I was nervous as crap every time he ran, especially when he got hit out of bounds. 

Did I hear one of the announcers say the Willis has 4.35 forty speed? That is insane fast and can eat up some defenses that think they can match up with him. I hope he gets more and more reps to spell JS when needed.