Stop subsidizing NFL

WDG

1 hour ago, cptau said:

Suppose you had a service contract with a local business for maintenance and repairs around your house.  The repairman appears at your home in a company truck with an objectionable bumper sticker placed by the repairman.   Then the repairman who you are paying for by the hour decides to spend 10 minutes expercising his freedom of speech by protesting about his working conditions and his life in general before accomplishing any work.   You write it off the first time, but he continues doing it the next maintenance visit.  Perhaps his complaints are even valid to some extent.  

How long do you continue paying to watch and listen to complaining?

I do all my own maintenance. But i'll play......no actually i can't that is the most reaching example of..... can you seriously not do any better than that? 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, alexava said:

I do all my own maintenance. But i'll play......no actually i can't that is the most reaching example of..... can you seriously not do any better than that? 

Perhaps you’ll need help one day and you’ll just happily listen.   Some other customer will have the repair guy disciplined or fired by his boss.   The joy of customer contact jobs.    

The NFL players can’t do any better either.   They’ve got a union and could strike or picket outside the stadium like any other union, but they wouldn’t get paid for that.  

44 minutes ago, cptau said:

Perhaps you’ll need help one day and you’ll just happily listen.   Some other customer will have the repair guy disciplined or fired by his boss.   The joy of customer contact jobs.    

The NFL players can’t do any better either.   They’ve got a union and could strike or picket outside the stadium like any other union, but they wouldn’t get paid for that.  

This kneeling isn't costing anyone a penny. Except the owners who have a s*** situation on their hands. The owners don't give two sh**s about patriotism or oppression. They care about the bottom line. The players could stick together and have total control. The whole thing sucks because both "sides " of this s*** storm actually have almost exactly the same ideas of what's right and wrong. They are just so busy being head strong they won't listen and compromise. Actually one side has compromised and it fell on deaf ears. 

14 hours ago, alexava said:

This kneeling isn't costing anyone a penny. Except the owners who have a s*** situation on their hands. The owners don't give two sh**s about patriotism or oppression. They care about the bottom line. The players could stick together and have total control. The whole thing sucks because both "sides " of this s*** storm actually have almost exactly the same ideas of what's right and wrong. They are just so busy being head strong they won't listen and compromise. Actually one side has compromised and it fell on deaf ears. 

Actually the kneeling will cost the advertisers, networks, and eventually these players and non protesting players money.  TV Ratings are down as is attendance.  The TV networks have already backed away from live coverage of this  and thus censored them. 

Employees have no right of protest or free speech while working or in their employers workplace     They need to picket on public property or rent a auditorium to state their position and not wear clothing belonging to their employers.    Of course they won’t get paid while doing any of that.   

The NFL team owners are all about making a profit and surviving just as any other private business.  The simple solution is to leave all players  in the locker rooms as college teams do for the anthem.   Watching the owners squirm and try to manage this is more entertaining than the not really football NFL.  

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/10/15/colin-kaepernick-is-taking-on-nfl-owners-with-collusion-fight/amp/

Kaepernick is setting his sights on becoming a martyr apparently. He is now filing a grievance against the NFL owners alleging collusion. 

On 10/15/2017 at 6:39 PM, aujeff11 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/10/15/colin-kaepernick-is-taking-on-nfl-owners-with-collusion-fight/amp/

Kaepernick is setting his sights on becoming a martyr apparently. He is now filing a grievance against the NFL owners alleging collusion. 

What proof does he have. 

11 hours ago, alexava said:

What proof does he have. 

More than likely he has zero evidence. He would need some damning evidence showing where the owners conspired to not sign Kaepernick. The cards are stacked against him probably.

32 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

More than likely he has zero evidence. He would need some damning evidence showing where the owners conspired to not sign Kaepernick. The cards are stacked against him probably.

His numbers are not going to help. 

On 10/17/2017 at 12:02 PM, alexava said:

His numbers are not going to help. 

Certainly won’t. He was benched against the horrible Bears last year after all.

BUT ALAS, this fake protest is taking another twist and turn. Michael Bennett (the same player that lied about the racist Las Vegas arrest ) said that negotiations with owners need to cease until somebody signs Kaepernick. So, in essence, getting a bum QB to sign with a team, is more important than working together trying to improve race relations between the players and the owners. Apparently, now the mission of the protest is solely to get Kaepernick his job back.

And that’s not all.

Then he compares the NFL athletes to Dred freaking Scott because the big bad plantation- driving boss, Jerry Jones, huffed and puffed and told his team to stand for the anthem. Remember Dred Scott was a runaway slave that was ruled to be property so he had to be returned to his slave-owner in the late 1850’s I believe. If Bennett didn’t want to feel like property, he shouldn’t have ate what his coaches told him to eat, he shouldn’t have trained when the coaches told him to train, he shouldn’t have agreed to million dollar contracts and standard conduct codes, and he shouldn’t have made himself an employee of the NFL. Because they own his ass. They give him dress codes, they tell him what supplements he can take and what he can’t take, and they tell him what behavior is acceptable and what isn’t. If he has no problem cashing those checks, he should have no problem serving as the subordinate to his employer. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21069553/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-says-job-colin-kaepernick-first-step-moving-ahead-owners

On 9/24/2017 at 3:47 PM, HVAU said:

There is the notion that professional sports teams greatly benefit the economies of the municipalities in which they are located.  I am in favor of subsidizing venues for sports events only in cases where a quantifiable and significant benefit can be demonstrated.

On the kneeling thing... Just a group of athletes exercising their free speech.  If I came from an area I felt was under some sort of institutional duress, and I had the opportunity to bring public attention to that notion, I'd probably be doing the same thing.  They're doing it peacefully, so it doesn't affect me.

(I know you weren't specifically addressing the issue of whether or not players should be reprimanded for kneeling - but i think its important to also keep in mind)

Those players are in the course and scope of their employment when they're on that field on Sundays. Is kneeling a crime - no. BUT, an employer can restrict the actions of its employees. 

They're free to kneel if they'd like - but they can't complain if they're sanctioned for doing so. 

They're free to kneel if they'd like - but they can't complain if they're sanctioned for doing so. 

Agree.  There's always a risk of reprimand for exercising free speech.

The NFL is in a tough spot though, because they would like to appear both patriotic and sympathetic to the cause the players are drawing attention to.  It's my opinion that drawing attention to that cause isn't unpatriotic, so I don't have an issue.

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

It's my opinion that drawing attention to that cause isn't unpatriotic, so I don't have an issue.

Drawing attention to an honorable cause is patriotic, sitting on the bench during the Anthem isn’t.  If Marshawn Lynch wants to talk the 75% African American illegitimacy rates, disproportionate number of African American babies aborted every year per their population size, or the sky high African America’violent crime rates, then he can explain his views. Sitting just to be sitting on the bench during the anthem isn’t patriotic at all. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Drawing attention to an honorable cause is patriotic, sitting on the bench during the Anthem isn’t.  If Marshawn Lynch wants to talk the 75% African American illegitimacy rates, disproportionate number of African American babies aborted every year per their population size, or the sky high African America’violent crime rates, then he can explain his views. Sitting just to be sitting on the bench during the anthem isn’t patriotic at all. 

Most are not sitting. they are taking a knee because a veteran asked them to, for respect. they did, they compromised but the other side won't see it. it isn't about the flag or anthem, to either side.

6 hours ago, alexava said:

Most are not sitting. they are taking a knee because a veteran asked them to, for respect. they did, they compromised but the other side won't see it. it isn't about the flag or anthem, to either side.

Well plenty of them do sit. I don’t care about what one single veteran supposedly asked Kaep to do. It’s his perspective, nothing more. You’re missing the point. It’s not about the vehicle of delivery, it’s the hollow claims that they are protesting for. Trump could make all the police departments 100% minority and these protesters would still be out there. 

Archived