Chuck Person

AUApostle

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JBiGGiE said:

So how bad is it? Is there ANYTHING that can be salvaged from this?

The best thing for us right now would be for this to blow up across multiple blue blood programs.

This is a big deal, but it's kind of an open secret how dirty CBB recruiting is.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am not discounting what has been reported.  I just want to see everything first, like for instance the press conference at noon.  What I don't want to happen is like with the softball issue where everyone automatically assumed the Auburn athletic department was covering it up and knew about it when in fact we learned later the second Auburn's AD found out, they fired (or told people retire) people on the spot.  I just wanted as much info as possible before I came to judgement, that's all.

Whether the AD knew or not might only matter in the depth of the NCAA penalties against AU. AU has now been proven to have played ineligible players and will forfeit all wins from the previous 2 (maybe just 1) seasons. They will certainly incur scholarship losses, and will likely lose interest from any of the top recruits. I don't see AU escaping this in any way. Going to be VERY difficult for AU to pay off that arena now.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am not discounting what has been reported.  I just want to see everything first, like for instance the press conference at noon.  What I don't want to happen is like with the softball issue where everyone automatically assumed the Auburn athletic department was covering it up and knew about it when in fact we learned later the second Auburn's AD found out, they fired (or told people retire) people on the spot.  I just wanted as much info as possible before I came to judgement, that's all.

I was told right away the AD did its job and stated so.  On this issue, not gonna hear a word, I have been told as of now, different ball game.  

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

So how bad is it? Is there ANYTHING that can be salvaged from this?

Those Under Armour AU basketball shorts I really like are going to be on sale for cheap now.

They said other teams will be named soon. This isn't a 4 school deal. 

It also said that these guys did these deals in ways to cover them up from the ncaa and their schools. 

An FBI criminal charge is about as bad as it gets. It triggers a wider NCAA investigation just to find out how deep (basketball) and wide (other sports) this may go. This is unbelievable.   

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Tell me how that would work? 

I was told that we had the best compliance staff.  You tell me.

So as I understand this, Person was not using this money to entice players to sign with Auburn but was using the money to direct players already on the team to an agent. And keeping some of the money for himself. 

tenor.gif

5 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

An FBI criminal charge is about as bad as it gets. It triggers a wider NCAA investigation just to find out how deep (basketball) and wide (other sports) this may go. This is unbelievable.   

If there are more schools coming, we may get lost in the shuffle. I would be wound up tight had we not already been named.

This is disturbing and right now I'm more angry at Chuck than anything.  He put his career, his family's well being and his university in jeopardy for a few bucks.  Sad what money does to folks.  

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Well it was fun being relevant in basketball the whole 9 seconds it lasted. SMFH. 

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

So as I understand this, Person was not using this money to entice players to sign with Auburn but was using the money to direct players already on the team to an agent. And keeping some of the money for himself. 

That's how I read it. The financial advisor/apparel executive bribed the coach's to influence/coerce/bribe the player to use said finacial advisor when he becomes a multi-millionaire in the NBA.  The recruit/player gets paid to come to bribed coach's school so the coach can  direct him to the financial advisor after he signs the NBA contract. I think and hope AU is in the clear. We'll learn more at the press conference.

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You think they have magical powers. You tell me.

No. You tell me what they are they for if not to ensure the compliance of all our coaches. 

18 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I want to hear all of the details first before I make an opinion on this Person debacle.  I want to know what players were involved, coaches, who knew, etc.  Just like I did not want to rush to judgement on the softball case.

I doubt anyone knew about this. They would have probably been pulled in if they were. My concern is that this happened represents a lack of institutional control. Chuck Person's fear of causing harm to the AU MBB program was less than his desire for the cash. That what happened around the Softball program represents a lack of institutional control. Corey Meyers fear of causing harm to the AU Softball program was less than his desire for ... whatever his creepy butt wanted.

JJ needs to step aside, at least temporarily, and a temporary caretaker AD from the outside needs to be appointed. Somebody squeaky clean, preferably a lawyer type.

An aggressive internal investigation needs to be started, and I would consider polygraphs. Hook Bruce Pearl and the rest of the AU MBB staff to a polygraph and get statements on the specifics of the federal case. If they refuse, they are gone.

Pearl is at risk of becoming toxic. He has a need to save his reputation.

We need to appear to be squeaky clean, and this needs to appear to be isolated to a rogue assistant. If we cannot do that, we will be tainted from now, until the end of the NCAA investigation.

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

If there are more schools coming, we may get lost in the shuffle. I would be wound up tight had we not already been named.

Let us hope and keep our fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I mean no one cares about Auburn involved in this on a national scale since Arizona and Louisville are involved in this.  2 blue bloodish big time national programs who go deep in the ncaa tourney every year. Yes that is correct. But Down here though the noise will be very loud since we are the only sec program named so far.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No. You tell me what they are they for if not to ensure the compliance of all our coaches. 

They aren't bodyguards. Propose a theory of how to do that if you have one.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean no one cares about Auburn involved in this on a national scale since Arizona and Louisville are involved in this.  2 blue bloodish big time national programs who go deep in the ncaa tourney every year. Yes that is correct. But Down here though the noise will be very loud since we are the only sec program named so far.

A former coach at USCe is implicated for stuff he did while coaching there. He's at Okie Light now. 

We’re gonna get put on probation. This is a big deal let’s not try and sugarcoat it. *removed player names - rumor until there's confirmation*

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

They aren't bodyguards. Propose a theory of how to do that if you have one.

Who said anything about bodyguards or physical security? 

You tell me

Archived