Chuck Person

AUApostle

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

This is what I saw in the indictment that made me think the same. Wiley's done with Auburn. At this point we need to hope that he's all there is from a player standpoint.

1 minute ago, Charleston Tiger said:

This is what I saw in the indictment that made me think the same. Wiley's done with Auburn. At this point we need to hope that he's all there is from a player standpoint.

How does Matt Stevens know that Wiley is the subject of this?  Is his name listed anywhere?

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

How does Matt Stevens know that Wiley is the subject of this?  Is his name listed anywhere?

The dates detailed are a dead giveaway. 

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Doesn't matter if he did it alone.  He paid players currently on the team. 

He paid them for his individual financial gain, not the university.  This isn't the same as a booster paying a prospect $10k to come to Auburn.  Person was interested in kickbacks for himself and he kept it under wraps from the university, his family, and the public.  I'm not sure what the NCCA is going to do since Auburn University didn't know about his personal decisions.  I'm sure they'll investigate, but the trail of money leads to Chuck Person's bank account.  I view it as the same as a rogue player or coach receiving kickbacks for a point-shaving scheme... its an isolated event, hence the reason several schools are involved.  

It also seems that the investigation is done from a Federal standpoint. The charges levied and warrants issued. That may be it from that standpoint. No telling what, if anything, the NCAA will decide to do about it. Seems rather cut and dry that those involved were interested in lining their pockets, not the schools for which they worked. 

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

He paid them for his individual financial gain, not the university.  This isn't the same as a booster paying a prospect $10k to come to Auburn.  Person was interested in kickbacks for himself and he kept it under wraps from the university, his family, and the public.  I'm not sure what the NCCA is going to do since Auburn University didn't know about his personal decisions.  I'm sure they'll investigate, but the trail of money leads to Chuck Person's bank account.  I view it as the same as a rogue player or coach receiving kickbacks for a point-shaving scheme... its an isolated event, hence the reason several schools are involved.  

But if the NCAA pulls out the "You should have known what you didn't know" card then AU basketball/Pearl could receive penalties

57 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Did we miss the memo where our supposedly great compliance department moved on from Auburn?  

Whats the compliance department good for these days? 

They can't stop a corrupt coach from being himself.

There is always one financial advisor that makes the rest of us look bad.  It gets tougher everyday when you try to do the right thing for your client and then find out someone else tried to take advantage of the system so now you have more rules to follow.  The majority of athletes/celebrities don't even make good clients anyways.  Their financial lives are extremely short and their egos are really big in that short time so you can't do what needs to be done to protect their assets for long term success.  That is why my company does not work with them.

I want to hear all of the details first before I make an opinion on this Person debacle.  I want to know what players were involved, coaches, who knew, etc.  Just like I did not want to rush to judgement on the softball case.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

There is always one financial advisor that makes the rest of us look bad.  It gets tougher everyday when you try to do the right thing for your client and then find out someone else tried to take advantage of the system so now you have more rules to follow.  The majority of athletes/celebrities don't even make good clients anyways.  Their financial lives are extremely short and their egos are really big in that short time so you can't do what needs to be done to protect their assets for long term success.  That is why my company does not work with them.

I want to hear all of the details first before I make an opinion on this Person debacle.  I want to know what players were involved, coaches, who knew, etc.  Just like I did not want to rush to judgement on the softball case.

Fine, but you have a heckuva lot of info that's more sound than most you'll ever see.

1 minute ago, auburnandjagsfan said:

But if the NCAA pulls out the "You should have known what you didn't know" card then AU basketball/Pearl could receive penalties

I don't know how that would work here. He's a college coach, a professional; is Auburn University supposed to audit his personal bank accounts? I'm sure the NCAA will investigate all schools in which a coach was indicted, however on the surface it doesn't look like Auburn was the instigator for Chuck Person's actions. 

1) It's says the investigation goes as far back as 2015. So was he dealing with the Wiley's while he was still in High school. Or is that a reference to the OK St people

2) The FBI has done all NCAA's work for them, so it won't take them long to decide on any charges.

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

They can't stop a corrupt coach from being himself.

What can they do then?  What’s a compliance staff useful for if they can’t stop rogue coaches from paying for players? That compliance staff was my sole reason for my confidence in hiring Pearl.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Fine, but you have a heckuva lot of info that's more sound than most you'll ever see.

I am not discounting what has been reported.  I just want to see everything first, like for instance the press conference at noon.  What I don't want to happen is like with the softball issue where everyone automatically assumed the Auburn athletic department was covering it up and knew about it when in fact we learned later the second Auburn's AD found out, they fired (or told people retire) people on the spot.  I just wanted as much info as possible before I came to judgement, that's all.

This makes me absolutely sick. It seems like we can't enjoy any level of success at any sport before we mess the whole thing up.

And we better hope and pray that the other sports are clean. They now have the keys to our house looking at one sport, but if they "uncover" any improprieties in other sports, look out.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What can they do then?  What’s a compliance staff useful for if they can’t stop rogue coaches from paying for players? That compliance staff was my sole reason for my confidence in hiring Pearl.

Tell me how that would work? 

Archived