Chuck Person

AUApostle

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in Guatemala so I don't have access to the press conference. I would ask that y'all keep me updated on here but I am sure that won't be an issue.

I will never understand why players who are guaranteed to make millions take chances like this. Just no reason what so ever to do this. You'll get your money kid be patient!

45 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

We’re gonna get put on probation. This is a big deal let’s not try and sugarcoat it. 

Best case scenario is vacating all of our wins since they've been on campus. 

If this is as big as I think it might be, just about every big time recruit will be implicated. Pretty much everything recruiting goes through the filter of the apparel companies these days. CBB is dirty as hell. Everyone knows it. 

To many schools are involved. With the evidence presented the schools would not have known about the transgressions. I'm not sure what the NCAA will be able to do. They aren't going to be able to punish every school mentioned. 

31 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I don't know how that would work here. He's a college coach, a professional; is Auburn University supposed to audit his personal bank accounts? I'm sure the NCAA will investigate all schools in which a coach was indicted, however on the surface it doesn't look like Auburn was the instigator for Chuck Person's actions. 

Auburn University definitely was not an instigator, but an Auburn employee and representative of Auburn basketball was the instigator, facilitator, and he basically coached a player, and his mother on how to break NCAA rules.  The player/mother willingly chose to participate in the scheme, the received the $$ and would still be cranking right along if the Feds hadn't stepped up and made the charges/arrests.

At the end of the day, a former Auburn player turned Auburn coach (An Auburn Man) went rogue, recruited a player by offering benefits to him and his mother who willingly accepted for her son to be sold to an agent.

This looks like a head of snake to snake pit type of investigation.  FBI caught wind of an upstream (apparel, money providers,) went to the top and started back filling from there.  Would our compliance known? Nope or they'd be indicted too.  The suggestion that they were in the know of the investigation is absurd.  In all likelihood they were investigated too.  FBI is pretty patient in getting their indictments fully populated.  Just wow.  

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am not discounting what has been reported.  I just want to see everything first, like for instance the press conference at noon.  What I don't want to happen is like with the softball issue where everyone automatically assumed the Auburn athletic department was covering it up and knew about it when in fact we learned later the second Auburn's AD found out, they fired (or told people retire) people on the spot.  I just wanted as much info as possible before I came to judgement, that's all.

You don't honestly believe that do you?  Are you aware that they knew Corey hooked up with a gymnast back in October when he first "resigned" and then they allowed him back since it was not a softball player?  The fact that he was attempting to hook up with any student should have ended his career at AU immediately.   

15 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

So, is Chuck looking at possible jail time?

Bribery Sentencing Guidelines (https://www.federalcharges.com/bribery-laws-charges/)

The fine attached to the charge of bribery is generally understood to be related to the amount of the bribe. In most cases, including federal cases, the fine will not exceed the value of the bribe. In addition to this fine, 18 USCS § 201(b) allows for up to fifteen years of imprisonment as well as disqualification from holding public office. Federal judges and grand juries may use their discretion to the maximum extent permitted by law in order to determine whether those involved in bribery should be disqualified from office-holding in the future.

Corruption Punishment (https://www.federalcharges.com/corruption-laws-charges/)

Corruption punishment generally includes both a prison sentence and a fine commensurate with the value of the money, goods, or services that was fraudulently obtained. Federal corruption proceedings are notorious for long prison sentences, which may exceed two decades. Individuals convicted of corruption may lose the ability to run for any public office.

Right, wrong or justified.  The fact that Bruce Pearl is our HC is going to make us "higher" profile in this case than we should be compared to basketball schools like UL and Arizona.  Bruce's past with the NCAA is not going to help AU in any way here.

wde

Every single school involved will get in trouble. C’mon y’all wake up. Just because we haven’t been really good doesn’t mean we won’t get in trouble. We gotta deal with the freaking FBI first before the NCAA even gets involved. 

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I will never understand why players like Wiley who are guaranteed to make millions take chances like this. Just no reason what so ever to do this. You'll get your money kid be patient!

And along those lines ,Chuck should be set financially from his NBA days.

What in the world?!?

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

What in the world?!?

"Should be" are the key words.  He could have squandered that all away.

I believe it might be worse for schools that have apparel licensing agreements with Adidas. An exec paid 100,000 to a five star recruit to attend Louisville and then sign with Adidas after school. 

Just now, auburnphan said:

Agent on recruiting scandal: "This has been going on for 30 years. It's not like anyone came up with this. It's a systemic issue."

I am sure this is true.  

wde

Just now, AUDevil said:

My guess is that our AD hired Bruce and Chuck because they knew how to use the system to get players...those with no Under Armor ties.  We complain for over a decade that we can't be good in bball b/c of our UA contract.  Our AD hired someone who knew how to get around that.  "Everybody's doing it" was probably enough of an excuse.

Do you really believe this? 

5 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

What in the world?!?

How many times have we seen professional athletes go bankrupt or mismanage their money?

24 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I will never understand why players like Wiley who are guaranteed to make millions take chances like this. Just no reason what so ever to do this. You'll get your money kid be patient!

Momma and step daddy need heppin asap, they can't wait til the NBA - what if their star player suffers a career ending injury while he's climbing to the pro's?

Archived