Is anyone else like me?

lutzcammed

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You are totally in denial.

The NCAA is going to punish Auburn while the FBI is calling the schools victims? That's quite a situation isn't it, lol. Unfortunately, some have a hard time understanding laws and the legal process. Unless there's a text message, email, phone call, and a proven motive that Auburn, Jay Jacobs, and Bruce Pearl were all encouraging Chuck Person's actions, then I'll say Auburn University is fine. Right now we have rogue employees from several schools. I've seen it in business and politics plenty... someone trying to take a little extra for themselves.  Furthermore, I'll choose to believe what a 2 year FBI investigation has determined by calling the universities the victims and defrauded.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

The NCAA is going to punish Auburn while the FBI is calling the schools victims? That's quite a situation isn't it, lol. Unfortunately, some have a hard time understanding laws and the legal process. Unless there's a text message, email, phone call, and a proven motive that Auburn, Jay Jacobs, and Bruce Pearl were all encouraging Chuck Person's actions, then I'll say Auburn University is fine. Right now we have rogue employees from several schools. I've seen it in business and politics plenty... someone trying to take a little extra for themselves.  Furthermore, I'll choose to believe what a 2 year FBI investigation has determined by calling the universities the victims and defrauded.

Except the NCAA doesn't go by the legal process. It essentially "wings it" and nobody knows what they will do. And that is the part that concerns most.

4 hours ago, jared52 said:

Bigger than AU, but AU seems to be right in the thick of it. All I want to know is, why? What makes AU this hot bed of corruption and debachery? Is it the "family" atmosphere that they promote that makes them soft and easily manipulated?

It's several reasons.....but all schools have their scandals because greed and ambition go hand in hand with ego and power. Those are the largest causes for scandal right there. Right now we have this terrible thing, Penn State had an even worse scandal, North Carolina, Baylor, Ole Miss, Louisville.....the list goes on.  I do wonder what kind of financial problems Chuck could have since he was making very, very good money at Auburn. I have a couple of ideas but wouldn't want to say anything here because it's just a guess. I know nothing about him personally.

I feel sick at my stomach because Chuck was one of our own. And now he has done tremendous harm to Auburn. He can go sit with Eric Ramsey at the Auburn outcast table when he gets out of jail.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not a good decade for AU bball. Point shaving scandal and now this? And this one may lead to JAIL TIME for a former AU great and NBA player. You can't make this **** up

Yep, time in a federal prison.  Reminds me of National Lampoon Radio Hour on Sunday afternoons on Auburn 73- 74. Might as well laugh a little, I damn sure want to cry.

I am sure I will get blasted but I have not ever been able to like Chuck. He never came off as being a team player. Did he not run his mouth about Barkley and auburn back in the day? I cannot remember all that was said but it was enough to turn me off as a fan.

Auburn just can't get out of its own way.   Not sure why auburn always seems to be in trouble and a basketball program like Vanderbilt seems to thrive.   They don't recruit 5 star players and for the most part enjoy success in the SEC.   just blows my mind that AU can't get its act together 

43 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Auburn just can't get out of its own way.   Not sure why auburn always seems to be in trouble and a basketball program like Vanderbilt seems to thrive.   They don't recruit 5 star players and for the most part enjoy success in the SEC.   just blows my mind that AU can't get its act together 

Vandy has it's problems too....some guys convicted of rape not that long ago....just that no one cares I guess.   But it's a rare large university that does not seem to do some really stupid things.  

BUT we seem to do more than our share perhaps.....or just that most of us don't spend that much time watching what goes on at FSU...or the 11 members of the UF football team who are subject to felony convictions...

In my opinion, what the NCAA will find is that the universities failed to monitor their employees and that will be the basis for the probations that are sure to follow.  It doesn't matter if the HC's did not know about any of it they are guilty of not properly monitoring their assistants.  Same for the AD's.  In our case it is likely that both Bruce and JJ will have to fall on their swords to lessen the penalties on the school.  JJ was already on thin ice after the softball mess.  

6 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

In my opinion, what the NCAA will find is that the universities failed to monitor their employees and that will be the basis for the probations that are sure to follow.  It doesn't matter if the HC's did not know about any of it they are guilty of not properly monitoring their assistants.  Same for the AD's.  In our case it is likely that both Bruce and JJ will have to fall on their swords to lessen the penalties on the school.  JJ was already on thin ice after the softball mess.  

Maybe, but I'm not so sure, this is a different kind of issue than one school paying players to come to their school.

Unless something comes out that directly points to Bruce I believe he will still be our coach.

The NCAA may have to answer questions to the FBI themselves.

8 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Maybe, but I'm not so sure, this is a different kind of issue than one school paying players to come to their school.

There is still huge amateurism issues. Not too mention Chuck lied to Wiley about the advisor working for Charles Barkley. Chuck literally let the guy prey on his own players 

9 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Unless something comes out that directly points to Bruce I believe he will still be our coach.

The NCAA may have to answer questions to the FBI themselves.

Yeah, this is correct and its a strange situation.   Usually, a player is paid to come to a school, here we have an assistant that was almost paying them to leave?    I can't see too severe penalties in this case, unless there is more...

11 minutes ago, Weagle99 said:

I somehow forgot that! I didn't think I could be any more disgusted at CP, but apparently I was wrong.

20 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

Right now my mind is completely blown I can't even focus on what I'm doing.  For the school I love everything always seems to be going wrong wrong wrong and wrong.

for once I am asking for opinions not fact. Does our basketball team have a chance of surviving this?

There are three waves. The first is the impact and embarrassment of losing a coach on the eve of the season. That just happened. Next up is the immediate  ineligibility of any player on our roster who took a dime. I'm sure that's what the investigators are trying to determine now. There are early reports that the list would include at least two of our highly acclaimed starters. Third  is the NCAA hammer which no doubt will fall soon. I don't see us having a viable team for years. 

Oh, there's also this. Even if Pearl is completely innocent, I cannot imagine he would want to stay during the above mentioned events. 

16 minutes ago, Weagle99 said:

Hey...we are second chance U dontcha know?   Figure that people will learn from their mistakes...and many do.....but not always.....sometimes they just get better at hiding them.   

But that was from almost 30 years ago.   CP was well respected in the NBA, held responsible positions after his playing days were done and was liked by many people in the sport.  For some reason not explained yet, despite all of his NBA income and a pretty good salary at AU he apparently was in financial trouble and this is how he went about trying to solve it. . 

Maybe it's just me but I'm not putting what he did on anyone else at AU until there some good evidence that folks were aware of this in advance....which is unlikely since there is no indication that AU benefited in the slightest from what he did.

Funny too....until about three days ago, BP and the basketball program were being held up as JJ's best hires....how quickly things can change. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hey...we are second chance U dontcha know?   Figure that people will learn from their mistakes...and many do.....but not always.....sometimes they just get better at hiding them.   

But that was from almost 30 years ago.   CP was well respected in the NBA, held responsible positions after his playing days were done and was liked by many people in the sport.  For some reason not explained yet, despite all of his NBA income and a pretty good salary at AU he apparently was in financial trouble and this is how he went about trying to solve it. . 

Maybe it's just me but I'm not putting what he did on anyone else at AU until there some good evidence that folks were aware of this in advance....which is unlikely since there is no indication that AU benefited in the slightest from what he did.

Funny too....until about three days ago, BP and the basketball program were being held up as JJ's best hires....how quickly things can change. 

I have to respectfully disagree.  This was someone who was directly responsible for us being on probation for years, regardless of how long ago it was.  He was a known cheater and we put him in a position of responsibility in the program.  This was, in my opinion, an inexcusably bad hire.  

8 minutes ago, Weagle99 said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  This was someone who was directly responsible for us being on probation for years, regardless of how long ago it was.  He was a known cheater and we put him in a position of responsibility in the program.  This was, in my opinion, an inexcusably bad hire.  

Show me where you strenuously objected the hire when it was proposed and I'm on your side.....otherwise, it's pretty easy to say it was bad....after it's turned out to be BAD.   

I remember seeing numerous post that actually wanted chuck to be the head coach.   Even pearl during his early press conferences saying that he was happy to have the rifleman on the staff

31 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

And for those saying it wasn't paying players, what is giving money to players already on the team called???   

They weren't paid to come to or stay at Auburn. The money source was someone that is not an AU booster and the money's purpose was to make financial arrangements after the players left AU. Auburn did not benefit from this in any way. It could be argued that the players were paid to leave Auburn sooner than they might have left otherwise. So no, AU wasn't paying players.

I can't see the NCAA getting mired in a syntax discrepancy. If the players were amateur status, and got paid.....That's all they need to hear. My .02

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They weren't paid to come to or stay at Auburn. The money source was someone that is not an AU booster and the money's purpose was to make financial arrangements after the players left AU. Auburn did not benefit from this in any way. It could be argued that the players were paid to leave Auburn sooner than they might have left otherwise. So no, AU wasn't paying players.

An Auburn coach assisted in securing payment for these players. The NCAA will punish us for that.

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That doesn't matter to the NCAA though.

I have to say that I wasn't surprised hearing this yesterday.  I love coach Pearl but in the last few years some much bigger recruits have landed in Auburn.  And our track record over the last decade has been horrible.  So why all of a sudden were they landing in Auburn?  The article in Auburn Undercover by Michael Niziolek claims 2 unnamed players " that allegedly received a split of $18500."    I guess that's chump change compared to the also unnamed guy who got $100,000 for committing to Louisville of the summer.  This truly sucks for Auburn.  I was looking forward to us possibly making the tournament this year.  

Archived