Is anyone else like me?

lutzcammed

9 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Where did you get sympathy from my post? Being curious about the financial issues is just that.....curiosity. As a behavioral science person I am always interested in motivations, and what drives criminal behavior. That doesn't mean I think there should be no consequences.

Did you also miss the part about the outcast table? 

I simply thought your post was on target and I expressed my thoughts. No implications intended.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Auburn players got money from an agent. This happened not long ago with a bammer football player and the end result was the player had to pay the money back and wasn't even declared ineligible, end of story. How the NCAA will look at this case is anybody's guess but I'm not seeing the dire consequences that many are predicting.

Based on the information available today there will be NCAA consequences for the actions of Person's and the players that accepted money and played while ineligible.  Now that this has hit the fan and is out in the public eye the doors have been slung wide ass open for the NCAA to snoop around for as long as they wish. 

Persons scheme could not work if he didn't have an inventory of highly rated potential-NBA players at his finger tips.  The NCAA will turn over every stone in the recruitment of these highly ranked recruiting classes Auburn has pulled in since Persons joined the staff.  They will want to know every detail of how we stocked the cupboard. 

I have a sickening suspicion that if momma was willing to trust Persons (and didn''t even do a quick google search of the unknown agent/adviser) and took $$ knowing it was an NCAA infraction after her baby was on AU's roster, then she damn sure had her hand out during his recruitment period while he was in HS.

If a guy  (Persons) who admittedly took $$ from AU Boosters while he was a playing at AU and later returned to AU as a coach started recruiting top shelf talent to AU, then he wouldn't blink an eye at offering recruits and their momma's  a little something to induce them to AU.  He coached these players and momma on how to break NCAA rules with the agent.....What would prevent him from coaching them on how to pocket some $$ to sign with AU?

On 9/27/2017 at 8:52 AM, auburnpride99 said:

I have to say that I wasn't surprised hearing this yesterday.  I love coach Pearl but in the last few years some much bigger recruits have landed in Auburn.  And our track record over the last decade has been horrible.  So why all of a sudden were they landing in Auburn?  The article in Auburn Undercover by Michael Niziolek claims 2 unnamed players " that allegedly received a split of $18500."    I guess that's chump change compared to the also unnamed guy who got $100,000 for committing to Louisville of the summer.  This truly sucks for Auburn.  I was looking forward to us possibly making the tournament this year.  

so louisville with their basketball pedigree and elite coach had to pay 100K and AU who based by some here is the armpit of college basketball and only had to fork over 18 grand?

16 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

so louisville with their basketball pedigree and elite coach had to pay 100K and AU who based by some here is the armpit of college basketball and only had to fork over 18 grand?

That is why they had a pedigree.  That elite coach is no different from the other elite coaches out there in basketball.  You think Calipari is clean.....Roy Williams, Coach K are clean? As dirty is college football is, college basketball is truly the armpit of college sports.

wde

27 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

That is why they had a pedigree.  That elite coach is no different from the other elite coaches out there in basketball.  You think Calipari is clean.....Roy Williams, Coach K are clean? As dirty is college football is, college basketball is truly the armpit of college sports.

wde

so they bought there way in...gotcha

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

so they bought there way in...gotcha

While I think Coach K and Roy Williams are better pure coaches than Pitino and Calipari, yes, in this day and age of college basketball dealing with the type of "student athletes" you have to deal with, someone on their behalf bought their way in.

wde

I wish there was some way to tie this into the AAU Select teams and shut them down that is where the sleaze really starts. It would be so much better if kids just played HS basketball. I know not all of the AAU teams are bad but the ones that recruit and give scholarships and the coaches with their hands out have hurt the integrity of the sport. They have also started teaching kids at a young age they are entitled.

12 hours ago, auskull said:

I simply thought your post was on target and I expressed my thoughts. No implications intended.

OK. That line about no sympathy made me think you misunderstood my position. We are on the same page then.

I do feel bad for Chuck's family and friends who also must feel betrayed. 

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Based on the information available today there will be NCAA consequences for the actions of Person's and the players that accepted money and played while ineligible.  Now that this has hit the fan and is out in the public eye the doors have been slung wide ass open for the NCAA to snoop around for as long as they wish. 

Persons scheme could not work if he didn't have an inventory of highly rated potential-NBA players at his finger tips.  The NCAA will turn over every stone in the recruitment of these highly ranked recruiting classes Auburn has pulled in since Persons joined the staff.  They will want to know every detail of how we stocked the cupboard. 

I have a sickening suspicion that if momma was willing to trust Persons (and didn''t even do a quick google search of the unknown agent/adviser) and took $$ knowing it was an NCAA infraction after her baby was on AU's roster, then she damn sure had her hand out during his recruitment period while he was in HS.

If a guy  (Persons) who admittedly took $$ from AU Boosters while he was a playing at AU and later returned to AU as a coach started recruiting top shelf talent to AU, then he wouldn't blink an eye at offering recruits and their momma's  a little something to induce them to AU.  He coached these players and momma on how to break NCAA rules with the agent.....What would prevent him from coaching them on how to pocket some $$ to sign with AU?

So a two year FBI investigation is off target?  It says he only took money to steer current players to agents. That's it.  Don't you think if they had him caught they would have known if he was paying players to come to the school to begin with (therefore increasing his chances to make money off of them)?  For me, I'll take the FBIs word on this one. 

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

You've got it backwards. Louisville has better players that are worth more to the agents. That's who is paying the money. 

I don't think we can put too much focus on the schools named in the indictment. These four coaches and administrators will, in my opinion, be rolling over and cooperating with the investigation and many others will be implicated. Already Bama's Associate AD has resigned as a result of the FBI probe. I imagine the vast majority of schools are also conducting internal reviews trying to get ahead of this as we speak. This hotline may also provide some key leads. I don't see how the NCAA will survive in its current form after all is disclosed. The college Presidents will be shocked and angry at how this has gotten totally out of control over the years and employees are committing crimes. I look for the NCAA to be re-organized from its current form as a result.   Once before the college Presidents took back control of the NCAA delegated to ADs.  With the revelation of criminal in lieu of rule violations this becomes a deal breaker. Individuals committing or with knowledge could now be convicted. I would guess that pay for play has evolved to a finally tuned process in college football recruiting also. With now having to discern what is a criminal vs traditional rule violation (or both) will require more expertise and control by the violator.

I know the investigation has just started but I think it is imperative that Auburn probably the President and not somebody from within the Athletic department needs to step up to the Mic and tells us what they know so far, whether any players may be impacted and what the next steps are. At this point the lack of information coming from our school is causing the rumor mills to overflow.  The sooner we have some solid information the sooner the speculation and the damage that the speculation causes comes to an end.

Something along the lines of based on the information we have at this time we expect or do not expect a player or players to be impacted and something similar about Coach Pearl. As mentioned earlier we have hired a Law Firm to review all aspects of this and other things within the Athletic Department and as more information comes to light the situation could change.

I realize the President already made a statement after Monday night but by now we should have enough information from the FBI to at least know if a player or players are involved.

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know the investigation has just started but I think it is imperative that Auburn probably the President and not somebody from within the Athletic department needs to step up to the Mic and tells us what they know so far, whether any players may be impacted and what the next steps are. At this point the lack of information coming from our school is causing the rumor mills to overflow.  The sooner we have some solid information the sooner the speculation and the damage that the speculation causes comes to an end.

Something along the lines of based on the information we have at this time we expect or do not expect a player or players to be impacted and something similar about Coach Pearl. As mentioned earlier we have hired a Law Firm to review all aspects of this and other things within the Athletic Department and as more information comes to light the situation could change.

I realize the President already made a statement after Monday night but by now we should have enough information from the FBI to at least know if a player or players are involved.

I'm hoping with the first practice being today and Pearl meeting with the media we will find something out today. 

Archived