Is anyone else like me?

lutzcammed

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

There are three waves. The first is the impact and embarrassment of losing a coach on the eve of the season. That just happened. Next up is the immediate  ineligibility of any player on our roster who took a dime. I'm sure that's what the investigators are trying to determine now. There are early reports that the list would include at least two of our highly acclaimed starters. Third  is the NCAA hammer which no doubt will fall soon. I don't see us having a viable team for years. 

Oh, there's also this. Even if Pearl is completely innocent, I cannot imagine he would want to stay during the above mentioned events. 

I don't think anyone would hire him. He may be loyal if he's innocent since we have him a second chance.

You also forgot if certain players were ineligible, there goes wins for Pearl. No 500 wins.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Show me where you strenuously objected the hire when it was proposed and I'm on your side.....otherwise, it's pretty easy to say it was bad....after it's turned out to be BAD.   

This is not relevant to the conversation.  My point isn't that I called out the coaches for making a bad hire when it was done.  My point is that the administration knew of his history and chose to ignore it.  Whether or not I publicly objected to the hire on a forum does not change the fact that it was a bad decision.  

Bruce has done NOTHING wrong!  CP did all of this on his own, and I'm sure if anybody suspected anything against the rules they would have acted quickly. Does anybody really think Bruce Pearl would take a chance and be kicked out of coaching so CP could get some extra money?  Bruce Pearl is the best thing for Auburn that has come about in a long time...

Louisville just fired Pitino and the AD.  My guess is Bruce and JJ are next.  The Justice Department charges are one thing.  They say Person and the other assistant coaches defrauded their universities and they likely get jail time on top of huge fines.  But the NCAA looks at it different.  Their view is that the universities hired the coaches involved and failed to properly monitor them.  Therefore the schools get the penalty.  It's just the way it works.  Only way to avoid the stiffest penalty is to cut the HC and AD loose.

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

Louisville just fired Pitino and the AD.  My guess is Bruce and JJ are next.  The Justice Department charges are one thing.  They say Person and the other assistant coaches defrauded their universities and they likely get jail time on top of huge fines.  But the NCAA looks at it different.  Their view is that the universities hired the coaches involved and failed to properly monitor them.  Therefore the schools get the penalty.  It's just the way it works.  

Normally I would say yes.  The FBI went out of its way to clear the head coaches and universities in its statement.  They said there is more to come and this is just the tip.  I feel this is a message to the NCAA to think(we investigated and found nothing) and respond accordingly.  The Pitino/UL situation is different.

I agree, until I see in writing or a report where BP knows or is connected, he should not be fired for his assistant's screwup. And as far as we know Pearl was TOLD he was to hire Person so it could be on someone's else's head why Person was brought in after all these years....

The NCAA has been complicit in allowing this behavior for years in CBB (and I believe they also allow this with certain college football programs). I'm not sure that the NCAA won't be named at some point by the DOJ...might be wishful thinking on my part but I believe the NCAA needs to be reformed.

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The NCAA has been complicit in allowing this behavior for years in CBB (and I believe they also allow this with certain college football programs). I'm not sure that the NCAA won't be named at some point by the DOJ...might be wishful thinking on my part but I believe the NCAA needs to be reformed.

I hope this is true. You and I and all know that there are people in the confines of the NCAA administration getting paid (mark emmert, THE SOB). I hope that they are ratted out.    The investigation went on for 2 years.   They tapped phones and the informant wore a wire.    They found more than they are showing to the public, I would think

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Normally I would say yes.  The FBI went out of its way to clear the head coaches and universities in its statement.  They said there is more to come and this is just the tip.  I feel this is a message to the NCAA to think(we investigated and found nothing) and respond accordingly.  The Pitino/UL situation is different.

Why in the world are we waiting another minute to fire JJ?!?  He should've been gone after the softball scandal.  We have got to get him out right now or he will continue to bring the program down (if it can go down any further).  Not to mention the inevitable scandal with women's basketball that will leak soon.  It is so frustrating to me to see these other programs doing the right thing and dropping the hammer on their ADs and HCs while at Auburn we sit back and do nothing.

Considering Pearl already got pegged by the NCAA, it's highly unlikely that he retains his job, even if he knew nothing about this.  Start over fresh.  I didn't like the Pearl hire to begin with because of all the baggage.  We need to hire a guy that isn't perceived as a slime ball.

7 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I hope this is true. You and I and all know that there are people in the confines of the NCAA administration getting paid (mark emmert, THE SOB). I hope that they are ratted out.    The investigation went on for 2 years.   They tapped phones and the informant wore a wire.    They found more than they are showing to the public, I would think

You've also got to remember that the NCAA makes 90% of it's revenue off of the NCAA D1 Men's Basketball tournament.  There's no freaking way that they will drop the hammer too hard and kill that cash cow.  The tournament needs big name schools and coaches.  Louisville is in the worst position right now because they are a repeat offender and the FBI has accused them directly of pay to play.  My guess is they are going to be "the example" from the NCAA.  But overall, I think most schools will get off pretty clean.

7 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Why in the world are we waiting another minute to fire JJ?!?  He should've been gone after the softball scandal.  We have got to get him out right now or he will continue to bring the program down (if it can go down any further).  Not to mention the inevitable scandal with women's basketball that will leak soon.  It is so frustrating to me to see these other programs doing the right thing and dropping the hammer on their ADs and HCs while at Auburn we sit back and do nothing.

Considering Pearl already got pegged by the NCAA, it's highly unlikely that he retains his job, even if he knew nothing about this.  Start over fresh.  I didn't like the Pearl hire to begin with because of all the baggage.  We need to hire a guy that isn't perceived as a slime ball.

I can not explain the JJ situation. 

However, until there is some sort of evidence that BP was involved I can not call for his head.  As an employer, I am not responsible for behavior that my employees do on their own time.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't ultimately involve a majority of D1 bball programs....and that's a lot. Auburn isn't going to be the Lone Ranger here. But still, my response is : WTF?

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

I can not explain the JJ situation. 

However, until there is some sort of evidence that BP was involved I can not call for his head.  As an employer, I am not responsible for behavior that my employees do on their own time.

Agreed, but like I said, since he has been pegged once, my thought is that he's guilty by association and that's enough to do him in.

1 hour ago, 1856 said:

Agreed, but like I said, since he has been pegged once, my thought is that he's guilty by association and that's enough to do him in.

Apparently in a ruling a few years ago the NCAA has concluded that the HC is responsible...period ...whether he or she knew or not.    There is no more "plausible deniability" defense.    HCs are making serious money and have maybe a half dozen employees to keep track of and usually know about all recruit contacts made by subordinates if they are doing they jobs.    That's what NCAA is saying and probably how AU is going to have to treat things.    JMO but it's not possible to have a half-dirty operation.  

As for JJ.....guess this is the last straw and a good time and excuse for AU to clean house.     This morning I kept hoping that JJ would do the "honorable thing" and approach Leath with an apology and an offer to resign.  I thought quite a bit about that and am available to help him write the letter...:)

Guess there is still time to do that and about the only way he can save his reputation in my view. .

7 hours ago, Weagle99 said:

Comments on this board yesterday say JJ pushed CP on pearl

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

They weren't paid to come to or stay at Auburn. The money source was someone that is not an AU booster and the money's purpose was to make financial arrangements after the players left AU. Auburn did not benefit from this in any way. It could be argued that the players were paid to leave Auburn sooner than they might have left otherwise. So no, AU wasn't paying players.

As far as the players go, this seems somewhat similar to the Chris porter issue

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Apparently in a ruling a few years ago the NCAA has concluded that the HC is responsible...period ...whether he or she knew or not.    There is no more "plausible deniability" defense.    HCs are making serious money and have maybe a half dozen employees to keep track of and usually know about all recruit contacts made by subordinates if they are doing they jobs.    That's what NCAA is saying and probably how AU is going to have to treat things.    JMO but it's not possible to have a half-dirty operation.  

As for JJ.....guess this is the last straw and a good time and excuse for AU to clean house.     This morning I kept hoping that JJ would do the "honorable thing" and approach Leath with an apology and an offer to resign.  I thought quite a bit about that and am available to help him write the letter...:)

Guess there is still time to do that and about the only way he can save his reputation in my view. .

If you need a co-signer of that letter, call me!

5 hours ago, auburnpride99 said:

I have to say that I wasn't surprised hearing this yesterday.  I love coach Pearl but in the last few years some much bigger recruits have landed in Auburn.  And our track record over the last decade has been horrible.  So why all of a sudden were they landing in Auburn?  The article in Auburn Undercover by Michael Niziolek claims 2 unnamed players " that allegedly received a split of $18500."    I guess that's chump change compared to the also unnamed guy who got $100,000 for committing to Louisville of the summer.  This truly sucks for Auburn.  I was looking forward to us possibly making the tournament this year.  

Huh?  Bruce pearl has always recruited at a high level.  All he did was come to auburn and do it here.  Kids like him, he's a good coach, he's likeable and he plays a brand of basketball kids want to play.

auburn may not have the history but that is why we hired pearl.  Unless he had involvement, I really hope he remains our coach. I like the guy for reasons beyond ball.

3 hours ago, 1856 said:

Good grief.  Apples and oranges regarding pearl.  He did  something minor that was dumb, lied and was caught.  He was pounded by the NCAA and pearl has loudly owned up to it and loudly denounced himself for it ever since.  I've never heard a coach verbally own a bad issue for this long line he has.  Most coaches want to say it's in the past ... pearl openly discusses his fault.

seriously big difference.

30 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Good grief.  Apples and oranges regarding pearl.  He did  something minor that was dumb, lied and was caught.  He was pounded by the NCAA and pearl has loudly owned up to it and loudly denounced himself for it ever since.  I've never heard a coach verbally own a bad issue for this long line he has.  Most coaches want to say it's in the past ... pearl openly discusses his fault.

seriously big difference.

THere is NO way Pearl would allow this to go on, Knowing he would be scrutinized and monitored closely when got back into coaching at AU.  It would be career suicide if he didn't report this, if he found out. 

54 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

THere is NO way Pearl would allow this to go on, Knowing he would be scrutinized and monitored closely when got back into coaching at AU.  It would be career suicide if he didn't report this, if he found out. 

I was not saying Pearl did not know what was going on nor was I saying that he is a sleaze ball.  I am saying that objectively, he will most likely be gone because of this by way of being guilty by association and it doesn't help that he has had a run in with the NCAA in his past.  

6 minutes ago, 1856 said:

I was not saying Pearl did not know what was going on nor was I saying that he is a sleaze ball.  I am saying that objectively, he will most likely be gone because of this by way of being guilty by association and it doesn't help that he has had a run in with the NCAA in his past.  

I think it depends on Chuck Person's testimony and plea deal.  He's going to talk to reduce his sentence. What stands in Bruce's favor is that Chuck was anxious to get these kids to the NBA as quickly as possible so he could get paid. CBP needed them around longer to build his team and program. 

On 9/26/2017 at 4:16 PM, Tigerbelle said:

It's several reasons.....but all schools have their scandals because greed and ambition go hand in hand with ego and power. Those are the largest causes for scandal right there. Right now we have this terrible thing, Penn State had an even worse scandal, North Carolina, Baylor, Ole Miss, Louisville.....the list goes on.  I do wonder what kind of financial problems Chuck could have since he was making very, very good money at Auburn. I have a couple of ideas but wouldn't want to say anything here because it's just a guess. I know nothing about him personally.

I feel sick at my stomach because Chuck was one of our own. And now he has done tremendous harm to Auburn. He can go sit with Eric Ramsey at the Auburn outcast table when he gets out of jail.

He, like all of us, is simply a product of the choices made in life. I wonder if he ever thought about this being a crime, much less a betrayal of trust between AU and also the player. This action revealed his character. I have no sympathy for him. 

1 minute ago, auskull said:

He, like all of us, is simply a product of the choices made in life. I wonder if he ever thought about this being a crime, much less a betrayal of trust between AU and also the player. This action revealed his character. I have no sympathy for him. 

Where did you get sympathy from my post? Being curious about the financial issues is just that.....curiosity. As a behavioral science person I am always interested in motivations, and what drives criminal behavior. That doesn't mean I think there should be no consequences.

Did you also miss the part about the outcast table? 

13 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

An Auburn coach assisted in securing payment for these players. The NCAA will punish us for that.

Auburn players got money from an agent. This happened not long ago with a bammer football player and the end result was the player had to pay the money back and wasn't even declared ineligible, end of story. How the NCAA will look at this case is anybody's guess but I'm not seeing the dire consequences that many are predicting.

Archived