"The FBI Is Doing the NCAA's Dirty Work" - Bloomberg Opinion article

rexbo

24 minutes ago, OffensiveAlchemy said:

Interesting take...using this logic, who stands to gain in this situation? What is the end game? 

Criminals get theirs. Good enough for me. 

Even with the effect this is going to have on our program, I'm curious to see where this goes from here. No way you can say it isn't bad, but we don't know how far reaching or bad it for us. We're not staring down the barrel of a gun quite yet, as there may be a lot more targets in the near future.

Arresting these execs and coaches is only the beginning. The fact that CBB is dirty as all get out is one of the worst kept secrets out there. When these people plead, and they will, they're probably going to have to do so on the condition of putting it all out there. This might very well be the NCAA's reckoning.

Just now, OffensiveAlchemy said:

That is what I am getting at. Who is behind wanting to take down the NCAA and why? Who wins in the end? Someone is going to profit at the end of this. Someone always does...?

Professional leagues who want to see the NCAA go away. I'd say NBA and NFL stand to gain the most.

I don't know...I feel like they would lose favor with a bunch of fans if that were the case. Especially in the South where college football is king and most of the NFL talent is produced. 

12 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Criminals get theirs. Good enough for me. 

Even with the effect this is going to have on our program, I'm curious to see where this goes from here. No way you can say it isn't bad, but we don't know how far reaching or bad it is for us quite yet. We're not staring down the barrel of a gun quite yet, as there may be a lot more targets in the near future.

Arresting these execs and coaches is only the beginning. The fact that CBB is dirty as all get out is one of the worst kept secrets out there. When these people plead, and they will, they're probably going to have to do so on the condition of putting it all out there. This might very well be the NCAA's reckoning.

Everyone on this board is worried about Auburn getting a colonoscopy from the NCAA, but in reality the NCAA is about to get one as well.

15 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Professional leagues who want to see the NCAA go away. I'd say NBA and NFL stand to gain the most.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they love having a free feeder league 

16 minutes ago, OffensiveAlchemy said:

I don't know...I feel like they would lose favor with a bunch of fans if that were the case. Especially in the South where college football is king and most of the NFL talent is produced. 

I didn't say they would publicly get the blame.

2 minutes ago, OffensiveAlchemy said:

I think it is interesting that Person is suspended and wasn't fired. Something doesn't smell right.

Just some legal junk until he's formally fired for cause, I imagine. He gone.

1 minute ago, OffensiveAlchemy said:

I think it is interesting that Person is suspended and wasn't fired. Something doesn't smell right.

It will happen. They want show that they let his due process play out before canning him. 

Lots of lawyers involved at this point. 

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure they love having a free feeder league 

Absolutely....saving NBA  and NFL huge bucks doing the weeding down of the talent pool for them.

Funny that the NCAA is acting so shocked at all of this.  Everyone has known for years how dirty CBB is and there is no way the NCAA didn't know.  They just needed the force of federal law enforcement branch to get it all out in the open. 

Who is to say the NCAA didn't work with the FBI on this? The NCAA relies on the member schools to participate in any investigation. It has no subpoena, search, or wiretap authority. The NCAA has been feckless in its ability to police MBB. Perhaps they figured they only way into it was via a criminal investigation. I could see a NCAA compliance lawyer and an DOJ lawayer having lunch and talking about how dirty MBB is and musing over the question "how can we get these guys?"

8 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Who is to say the NCAA didn't work with the FBI on this? The NCAA relies on the member schools to participate in any investigation. It has no subpoena, search, or wiretap authority. The NCAA has been feckless in its ability to police MBB. Perhaps they figured they only way into it was via a criminal investigation. I could see a NCAA compliance lawyer and an DOJ lawayer having lunch and talking about how dirty MBB is and musing over the question "how can we get these guys?"

Not sure the NCAA really wanted this to come out.  This stuff has been going on for years and the NCAA has looked the other way.  The FBI is now forcing the NCAA to deal with this finally. 

18 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Not sure the NCAA really wanted this to come out.  This stuff has been going on for years and the NCAA has looked the other way.  The FBI is now forcing the NCAA to deal with this finally. 

how many inside the NCAA are part of this?.    DO NOT DISMISS the idea of this being the case!!!!!

55 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

how many inside the NCAA are part of this?.    DO NOT DISMISS the idea of this being the case!!!!!

Men's BB is a cash cow for the NCAA. They didn't want this coming to light. I think this is a case of your tinfoil being too tight.

This was an FBI investigation into financial crimes

10 minutes ago, selias said:

Men's BB is a cash cow for the NCAA. They didn't want this coming to light. I think this is a case of your tinfoil being too tight.

I think he was referring to how many people in the NCAA might become some of the fallout from it all. 

7 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I think he was referring to how many people in the NCAA might become some of the fallout from it all. 

I clearly need more coffee. Apologies, dover.

28 minutes ago, selias said:

I am meaning that there are people inside the NCAA looking the other way and getting paid for it

you never need to ever apologize to me for anything

Nocera is a good writer and commentator, but he's veered out of his lane. 

These actually seem like pretty straightforward bribery charges. Take Chuck for example. Bribery requires (1) an agent of a State or government entity (check) (2) agreeing to accept or accepting anything of value above $5,000 (check) (3) with the intent of influencing the agent's business on behalf of that State or government entity (check). Chuck is an employee of a State university, accepting approximately $90,000 in cash, with the intent of influencing his work as an assistant coach (by exerting his influence on players).

Just because they didn't charge Todd McNair in the USC case (or other coaches in the past) doesn't mean this falls short of criminal conduct. It just means they chose not to bring the charges in those cases and chose to bring them here. It's called prosecutorial discretion.

I'm not sure I really want the FBI expending its energy here, but like I said, this seems like a pretty straightforward criminal charge. If Nocera wants to say there is nothing criminal about this, he needs to point to the code sections charged and explain why that's the case. His commentary is welcome, but he should stay in his lane.

12 minutes ago, Au17 said:

So a private university is  exempt from this law? 

I am no lawyer, but I am saying they are not exempt from this law, because private university take state and federal funds. 

6 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Funny that the NCAA is acting so shocked at all of this.  Everyone has known for years how dirty CBB is and there is no way the NCAA didn't know.  They just needed the force of federal law enforcement branch to get it all out in the open. 

Some are even suggesting that the NCAA tipped the FBI off to conduct the investigation being the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power. If found guilty the NCAA gets to swoop in and drop the hammer on schools. 

Archived