"The FBI Is Doing the NCAA's Dirty Work" - Bloomberg Opinion article

rexbo

12 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Some are even suggesting that the NCAA tipped the FBI off to conduct the investigation being the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power. If found guilty the NCAA gets to swoop in and drop the hammer on schools. 

Possible but the more I have thought about it the more I feel like the NCAA would probably just rather keep the status quo.  They make a ton of cash off that tournament and this brings a big black eye to the sport so not sure they really wanted this out there.  Who knows with that organization.  I put the NCAA right up there with the IOC and FIFA as some of the most corrupt organizations in the sports world. 

57 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Some are even suggesting that the NCAA tipped the FBI off to conduct the investigation being the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power. If found guilty the NCAA gets to swoop in and drop the hammer on schools. 

If that's true, then I don't see how the FBI is not investigating NCAA football. I hope they're not, but the truth is there's much more money in football than basketball and many more players.

38 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

If that's true, then I don't see how the FBI is not investigating NCAA football. I hope they're not, but the truth is there's much more money in football than basketball and many more players.

Good points. Seems like in football schools cover their tracks a lot better than basketball. There seem to be more outside people that can infiltrate basketball than football that makes it so messy. I have no proof of that but just looking back at all the most NCAA basketball sanctions seems that way.

2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

I'm not so sure about that.  Outside of the South the NFL is king.  For college sports, I'd say the NCAA finals are a much larger deal than the CFB playoffs unless you've got a team in it.  

As far as the NCAA swooping in, I remember back in the 70's, I believe, a player on Oklahoma's football team shot a teammate. The NCAA said they would not bring any sanctions against the Sooners because no NCAA rules had been broken.

8 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Possible but the more I have thought about it the more I feel like the NCAA would probably just rather keep the status quo.  They make a ton of cash off that tournament and this brings a big black eye to the sport so not sure they really wanted this out there.  Who knows with that organization.  I put the NCAA right up there with the IOC and FIFA as some of the most corrupt organizations in the sports world. 

Probably so.......and yes it could be corrupt but I doubt it is that well organized. 

Mostly it is a politically correct bureaucracy that is as nimble as a battleship.   It gives the appearance of promoting fairness and honesty but if you look at influential schools like UNC-CH for example, their athletic/academic program has been corrupt for years and the school has done it's best to hide it and the NCAA continues to ignore it.   It's a go through the motions organization .....not intentionally corrupt but not energetic enough to really do anything about the corrupt sports it is supposed to over-see.     A few schools will be made example of.....and that's about it in my view.

Archived