WDG

Basketball Probe

Recommended Posts

Just now, WDEKC said:

There are busts of all kinds at every level. How is your scenario any different?

I am just saying don't force them to go to college.

As for Zion....internet famous is not famous!  He played for a small private school playing other small private schools and probably never had to guard a Div 1 prospect.  He is athletic.... maybe like Mustapha....:dunno:  will be interesting how he does at Duke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am just saying don't force them to go to college.

As for Zion....internet famous is not famous!  He played for a small private school playing other small private schools and probably never had to guard a Div 1 prospect.  He is athletic.... maybe like Mustapha....:dunno:  will be interesting how he does at Duke.

For his generation, that's pretty famous for a kid his age. Pretty much any serious to casual basketball fan that has an idea of how to use the internet knew about him well before ESPN ran anything on him.

 

I totally agree with you about not forcing them to go to college, but that seems to run counter to your argument about the schools making them famous and helping their brand.

Edited by WDEKC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

For his generation, that's pretty famous for a kid his age. Pretty much any serious to casual basketball fan that has an idea of how to use the internet knew about him well before ESPN ran anything on him.

 

I totally agree with you about not forcing them to go to college, but that seems to run counter to your argument about the schools making them famous and helping their brand.

Just taking the positon that the team and top coaches make the player  (his name and face) famous and not the other way around.   If Zion never went to Duke, the school would just move along to the next top player who would get all the accolades and become a household word among sports fans.  

Just noting too that he might have been famous on the internet but he was playing at a small private school that drew crowds in the hundreds.   If he is to make any money from his basketball skills he needs to play where there is a rabid fan base and the media is watching everything he does......which is gonna happen at Duke for certain....and probably would not happen at some G League town.  .     JMO....but he should have the right to play G League if he did not want to attend classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any of you remember Brandon Jennings?  Played in Italy instead of going to Arizona back in 2008, 1st rd pick Bucks.      Terrance Ferguson played in Australia instead of Arizona in 2016, 1st rd pick Thunder

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2018 at 7:16 PM, auburnphan said:

Do any of you remember Brandon Jennings?  Played in Italy instead of going to Arizona back in 2008, 1st rd pick Bucks.      Terrance Ferguson played in Australia instead of Arizona in 2016, 1st rd pick Thunder

I remember the names for some reason but have never seen them play at all.  I don't watch pro unless there is a player that I really want to see play.  There haven't been any that I have cared to watch since Jordan and the Admiral.  I used to watch Drexel, Magic, kareem, bird & Rambis but that was back in the day.  I did love watching Chuck and Auburn players but don't really care for the pro game.  So I can see both arguments.  I don't like the 1 & done concept and would rather they not play college to be honest.  I prefer the team concept that happens on teams that don't load up on those players.  I think that if they go to college they should have to adhere to the rules with class, grades, etc.  I think that if a player wants to go pro that they should be able to skip college and not forced to go.  I know that they have that option now by playing in a foreign league but the G should be an option.  And if they do go pro and end up broke well then maybe they should have went to college and studied finance or something to help them understand about money.  Just my 2 cents. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2018 at 7:16 PM, auburnphan said:

Do any of you remember Brandon Jennings?  Played in Italy instead of going to Arizona back in 2008, 1st rd pick Bucks.      Terrance Ferguson played in Australia instead of Arizona in 2016, 1st rd pick Thunder

Ferguson has been mixed reviews this season with the Thunder.  I have watched every OKC game this year (OKC is my favorite pro team).  Has a high ceiling however and is not afraid of anyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Ferguson has been mixed reviews this season with the Thunder.  I have watched every OKC game this year (OKC is my favorite pro team).  Has a high ceiling however and is not afraid of anyone.  

Never heard of either of those guys....but if they had played at AZ or Kansas or Duke or UNC everyone would know them and they would have an "alum" backing when they got to the NBA.    They did what they thought was best for them and never missed a paycheck when they left HS so that was something....

I've no problem with that....but I do blame the NBA for making it necessary for them to have to leave the US for a year (as teenagers) in order to be accepted into their league. ...that's crap and might ought to be illegal. ...anti-trust?     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now