WDG

Basketball Probe

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Maybe some secondary violations? I mean Frankie was a video coordinator, right? So not sure what he could be involved in. And I'm not sure what Jordan V's responsibilities were. 

I’m thinking it had something to do with the self-reported recruiting violations we showed during the Wiley reinstatement process. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Here is the list of Adidas clients. The ones in BOLD are expected to play in the field of 64, (Except Indiana, aTm, Rutgers, AZ St. & Miss St. they are highlighted because they are big school names).

((Miss St. women’s program on the other hand will be going to the field of 64 for sure)).

COLLEGE BASKETBALL TEAMS SPONSORED BY ADIDAS

Akron Zips
Arizona State Sun Devils
Arkansas State Red Wolves
Bradley Braves
Brown Bears
Bucknell Bison
Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners
Central Arkansas Bears and Sugar Bears
Central Michigan Chippewas
Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
Denver Pioneers
Detroit Titans
Drake Bulldogs
Duquesne Dukes
East Carolina Pirates
Eastern Illinois Panthers
Eastern Michigan Eagles
Eastern Washington Eagles
FIU Panthers
Florida Atlantic Owls
Florida Tech Panthers
George Mason Patriots
Georgia Southern Eagles
Grand Valley State Lakers
High Point Panthers
Holy Cross Crusaders
Hope Flying Dutchmen
Howard Payne Yellow Jackets
Indiana Hoosiers
Iona Gaels
Jacksonville State Gamecocks
Kansas Jayhawks
Kennesaw State Owls
Kentucky Christian Knights
Lewis Flyers
Lindenwood Lions
Longwood Lancers
Louisiana Tech Bulldogs and Lady Techsters
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks
Louisville Cardinals
Lyndon State Hornets
Maine Black Bears
Mercer Bears
Miami (OH) RedHawks
Miami Hurricanes
Milwaukee Panthers
Mississippi State Bulldogs
Missouri State Bears and Lady Bears
Morgan State Bears
Mount Olive Trojans
NC State Wolfpack
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Newberry Wolves
Nicholls State Colonels
NJIT Highlanders
Northern Illinois Huskies
Northern Kentucky Norse
Northwest Missouri State Bearcats
Occidental Tigers
Ohio University Bobcats
Omaha Mavericks
Presbyterian Blue Hose
Quinnipiac Bobcats
Rhode Island Rams
Rice Owls
Rider Broncs
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Sacramento State Hornets
Sacred Heart Pioneers
San Jose State University Spartans
SIU Edwardsville Cougars
South Dakota Coyotes
Southeastern Louisiana Lions
Southern Utah Thunderbirds
St. Bonaventure Bonnies
Texas A&M Aggies
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders
Texas State Bobcats
Texas-Arlington Mavericks
Texas–Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros
The Citadel Bulldogs
Troy Trojans
Tulsa Golden Hurricane
UC Davis Aggies
UC Irvine Anteaters
UC Merced Golden Bobcats
UC Riverside Highlanders
UIC Flames
UMass Minutemen and Minutewomen
UNC Asheville Bulldogs
UNCW Seahawks
Utah Valley Wolverines
UTSA Roadrunners
Vermont Catamounts
Weber State Wildcats
West Alabama Tigers
West Chester Golden Rams
Western Carolina Catamounts
Western Michigan Broncos
Winthrop Eagles
Wofford Terriers
Edited by AlaskanFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other side to this whole scandal is the NCAA's involvement. The NCAA makes almost all of their money off of one event, The NCAA Tournament. So they stand to gain significantly if these storied programs continue their success and perennially make the NCAAT. The NCAA has also known for years about the AAU circuit, the shoe companies' involvement in college basketball, and the seedy underbelly of college basketball because it's been reported on and violations from those areas have been committed numerous times. Yet, they've done very little to stop it or regulate it. Now, the NCAA is faced with a situation where, reportedly, a number of their headline programs could come under fire for various violations of NCAA rules. And they may be forced into significantly penalizing some of the very teams they've counted on over the years to make them money. IMO the NCAA is just as complicit, even if not directly implicated. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, boomstick said:

The other side to this whole scandal is the NCAA's involvement. The NCAA makes almost all of their money off of one event, The NCAA Tournament. So they stand to gain significantly if these storied programs continue their success and perennially make the NCAAT. The NCAA has also known for years about the AAU circuit, the shoe companies' involvement in college basketball, and the seedy underbelly of college basketball because it's been reported on and violations from those areas have been committed numerous times. Yet, they've done very little to stop it or regulate it. Now, the NCAA is faced with a situation where, reportedly, a number of their headline programs could come under fire for various violations of NCAA rules. And they may be forced into significantly penalizing some of the very teams they've counted on over the years to make them money. IMO the NCAA is just as complicit, even if not directly implicated. 

 I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was well known within the NCAA but so wide spread that they just looked the other way because they knew if they took down one team, it would create a ripple effect that could effectively destroy the sport.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

 I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was well known within the NCAA but so wide spread that they just looked the other way because they knew if they took down one team, it would create a ripple effect that could effectively destroy the sport.

 

If that's the case, how does the NCAA punish anyone involved? And if they do and it can somehow be proven the NCAA knew and did nothing previously, doesn't that open them up to lawsuits? As bad as this might get for some schools, it seems the group in the worst position right now is the NCAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, boomstick said:

The other side to this whole scandal is the NCAA's involvement. The NCAA makes almost all of their money off of one event, The NCAA Tournament. So they stand to gain significantly if these storied programs continue their success and perennially make the NCAAT. The NCAA has also known for years about the AAU circuit, the shoe companies' involvement in college basketball, and the seedy underbelly of college basketball because it's been reported on and violations from those areas have been committed numerous times. Yet, they've done very little to stop it or regulate it. Now, the NCAA is faced with a situation where, reportedly, a number of their headline programs could come under fire for various violations of NCAA rules. And they may be forced into significantly penalizing some of the very teams they've counted on over the years to make them money. IMO the NCAA is just as complicit, even if not directly implicated. 

JMO but taking out a few of the blue bloods is not likely to hurt the NCAA revenue much from the basketball tournament.      I can see the argument about NCAA's lack of force on the issue ....but don't know that UK or Louisville and some of the big boys missing the tournament this year will matter much from a $$ standpoint.     Lots of good schools ready to play and TV money will be the same.

In fact it they don't clean up the sport when they have a legitimate chance, the future could be less bright for basketball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but taking out a few of the blue bloods is not likely to hurt the NCAA revenue much from the basketball tournament.      I can see the argument about NCAA's lack of force on the issue ....but don't know that UK or Louisville and some of the big boys missing the tournament this year will matter much from a $$ standpoint.     Lots of good schools ready to play and TV money will be the same.

In fact it they don't clean up the sport when they have a legitimate chance, the future could be less bright for basketball. 

Yeah, it's not so much the removal of 2-3 blue bloods as much as it would be the NCAA forcing the vacation of 25 teams that appeared in this year's tournament or something along those lines. How do they handle that and deal with the ramifications of that? How does that affect the appearance and value of their product? At some point, the evidence the FBI has gathered will be made public, and the NCAA will likely have to act equally across the board, regardless of the name of the school involved. Can they deal with that kind of transparency? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well well well,  Thamel and Finebaum are now on the anti Pearl when will he be fired band wagon. Got to build the distraction before the uat game and crush Auburn's success in the media. They both think Bruce will be fired and wonder when. Thamels Yahoo article never mentioned Auburn, but that's the main focus  fartbaum wanted to bring up.

Of course Auburn hater thamel surprised Bruce is still coaching. No facts just their opinion.

When Bruce is here next year these hacks should be sued for slander. Why they are allowed to spread

hate, innuendo, and rumors is beyond me.

Edited by TigerOne
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boomstick said:

If that's the case, how does the NCAA punish anyone involved? And if they do and it can somehow be proven the NCAA knew and did nothing previously, doesn't that open them up to lawsuits? As bad as this might get for some schools, it seems the group in the worst position right now is the NCAA.

The great conundrum that is the NCAA... they have no oversight, and they have limited power if a school wants to stand up to them (see North Carolina).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

 I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was well known within the NCAA but so wide spread that they just looked the other way because they knew if they took down one team, it would create a ripple effect that could effectively destroy the sport.

 

they had to know, so they are guilty. If they say they didn't that's no excuse, they tell head coaches that.

The ncaa needs to be dismantled which would dismantle the updyke empire as well

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

they had to know, so they are guilty. If they say they didn't that's no excuse, they tell head coaches that.

The ncaa needs to be dismantled which would dismantle the updyke empire as well

I honestly don't know why the schools put up with them. I know I wouldn't want to be under the thumb of an organization that has no oversight and the structure of which I have no control over... especially one that controls something as divisive and passionate as sports.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The great conundrum that is the NCAA... they have no oversight, and they have limited power if a school wants to stand up to them (see North Carolina).

NCAA= No Cahoonas At All. You're correct in that it depends greatly on who has done the wrong. Fairness like this...

me.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boomstick said:

I think a lot of this “new information” revolves around Andy Miller, an NBA agent, and the shoes companies (and their school intermediaries). I don’t believe any of that would involve Bruce or Auburn. Where it may get to Auburn is down the line with AAU teams. I know one Nike AAU organization had documents seized, and a few Auburn players played there. 

I also think it’s important to know who is the source of the info. If this is coming from someone in the FBI, it could be really legit. If it’s coming from one of the prosecutors in one of these cases, they could be blowing some smoke to force a little fear and hopefully get other people to come forward. 

Either way, I don’t think Auburn is out of the woods by any stretch, but I’m not sure this latest revelation directly involves Auburn or Person or Pearl. 

Auburn is a long ways from being out of the woods. Just gotta keep fingers crossed 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I honestly don't know why the schools put up with them. I know I wouldn't want to be under the thumb of an organization that has no oversight and the structure of which I have no control over... especially one that controls something as divisive and passionate as sports.

Do you understand what the NCAA is?

The NCAA is the schools...schools are voluntary members of the organization and representatives of the schools run the organization...elect the board, hire the executives ....the whole dang show...     

NCAA is not some unrelated 3rd party...it's Auburn and Alabama and about 300 other universities and colleges...all of whom have a choice to be a member and a voice in how it's run.  NCAA has oversight from the colleges and universities.   The problem is .....NCAA is just a huge educational bureaucracy with all the inefficiencies of our national education system magnified by a factor of several hundred.

If it's crap, it is because Auburn and the several hundred other schools allow it to be crap.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Auburn is a long ways from being out of the woods. Just gotta keep fingers crossed 

So what is still in the 'woods' that could still get Auburn?  Or is that just a feeling because more 'bad stuff' is coming down the road for basketball in general?

I haven't seen or heard anything other than what we already know, and the FBI and Auburn acted on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AU64 said:

Do you understand what the NCAA is?

The NCAA is the schools...schools are voluntary members of the organization and representatives of the schools run the organization...elect the board, hire the executives ....the whole dang show...     

NCAA is not some unrelated 3rd party...it's Auburn and Alabama and about 300 other universities and colleges...all of whom have a choice to be a member and a voice in how it's run.  NCAA has oversight from the colleges and universities.   The problem is .....NCAA is just a huge educational bureaucracy with all the inefficiencies of our national education system magnified by a factor of several hundred.

If it's crap, it is because Auburn and the several hundred other schools allow it to be crap.   

I totally understand what it is. It's grown WAY beyond the schools. While all member schools get some level of a voice, the organization is not beholden to anyone other than itself. And yes, while you have the option to leave, they have a stranglehold on the lucrative aspects of college athletics, so to do so would be to walk away from the money because there is no other league out there for you to join that has the influence over the money.

That's why I said I can't believe the universities put up with it. IF they would band together, and that's a big IF, they could make changes, but with so many voting members and no one to really police the day-to-day operations, it's become a quagmire. Honestly, it's not a whole lot different than our government that was conceived to be of the people, by the people, and for the people, but has long since developed it's own agendas.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Auburn is a long ways from being out of the woods. Just gotta keep fingers crossed 

I think we are on a trail out of the woods however instead of trying to bushwhack our way out.  

Edited by The Plainsman
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So what is still in the 'woods' that could still get Auburn?  Or is that just a feeling because more 'bad stuff' is coming down the road for basketball in general?

I haven't seen or heard anything other than what we already know, and the FBI and Auburn acted on....

Just got to wait until everything is released not saying we will get slammed but there is still a lot of stuff out there. We're talking almost a years worth of guys wearing wires and wiretaps. I also think some blue blood coaches are nervous

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Just got to wait until everything is released not saying we will get slammed but there is still a lot of stuff out there. We're talking almost a years worth of guys wearing wires and wiretaps. I also think some blue blood coaches are nervous

They probably have their underlings do the dirty work....but these days, NCAA dose not accept that as an excuse.....well, unless you are in Chapel Hill....or Tuscaloosa perhaps....but otherwise.....not a very good defense any more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what laws were broken?  I haven't kept up with it...I can see avoiding taxes but is it not a capitalistic society where someone can be paid to sign with an agent of a shoe company post college career?  I can see where the NCAA has their panties in a wad but it wasn't about getting kids to a school but post school career and what you were going to wear while in  the NBA.  Now if it was about going to a particular school I can see a NCAA violation but still can't see what law was broken....I am sure you could probably always go after a tax violation but am not that sure...any help?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TigerOne said:

well well well,  Thamel and Finebaum are now on the anti Pearl when will he be fired band wagon. Got to build the distraction before the uat game and crush Auburn's success in the media. They both think Bruce will be fired and wonder when. Thamels Yahoo article never mentioned Auburn, but that's the main focus  fartbaum wanted to bring up.

Of course Auburn hater thamel surprised Bruce is still coaching. No facts just their opinion.

When Bruce is here next year these hacks should be sued for slander. Why they are allowed to spread

hate, innuendo, and rumors is beyond me.

Thamel makes me sick. I’m surprised someone hasn’t decked the guy yet. Finebaum cant stand any success at Auburn. I did not see the show (I refuse to watch the Saban loving Jerk) but read about it. I also read where Pearl is on game day Saturday and was asked about it. (Airing the interview on game day)I’m thinking he doesn’t say much and they just published that as a tease. I am hoping against hope that he makes it through this. I’m wondering how bad it would have to be to fire him. In other words could there be minor violations that only result in a few game suspension? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

So what laws were broken?  I haven't kept up with it...I can see avoiding taxes but is it not a capitalistic society where someone can be paid to sign with an agent of a shoe company post college career?  I can see where the NCAA has their panties in a wad but it wasn't about getting kids to a school but post school career and what you were going to wear while in  the NBA.  Now if it was about going to a particular school I can see a NCAA violation but still can't see what law was broken....I am sure you could probably always go after a tax violation but am not that sure...any help?

That's one of the big question. Several lawyers are arguing no laws were broken. In the case of Person, the original word was they were trying to get him for defrauding Auburn with his actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That's one of the big question. Several lawyers are arguing no laws were broken. In the case of Person, the original word was they were trying to get him for defrauding Auburn with his actions.

Maybe bribery?  He got indicted for something..  So, go find the charges that got him put in the slammer...and gosh sakes, a defense lawyer always says his murderous little client didn't do it.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how Pearl is in any jeopardy with the NCAA unless they choose to really push the "Head coach is responsible for all" idea. Even then, Auburn gained no competitive advantage from this. In Auburn's case at least, it's not, or shouldn't be, a concern of the NCAA other than the eligibility of the two players. It hasn't been that long ago that a bammer football player took money from an assistant coach, got caught, paid the money back and all was forgotten. Shouldn't that thinking apply?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s so Auburn to have a clout of uncertainty during all of our great seasons. I wish we could enjoy our rise to the top as a basketball program and not worry about losing the most popular coach in Auburn. Again, so Auburn. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now