Basketball Probe

WDG

Coach Pearl is supposed to do an interview about the investigation on Gameday this morning. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Maybe bribery?  He got indicted for something..  So, go find the charges that got him put in the slammer...and gosh sakes, a defense lawyer always says his murderous little client didn't do it.?

Dude, I read the charges and I am no lawyer but I think I could argue out of them.  They are trying to use bribery and wire fraud.  However, if I was CP's lawyer, I would argue that CP was just being a lobbyist for that firm and that I was paid to do advertising or something or other

I just caught the end of it, but he said he expects to remain the coach at AU for a long time. I think it's interesting that he did an interview - seems like a positive sign to me.

I'm usually not the optimist here, but I wonder if there may be a slight possibility that AU gets off with a slap on the wrist because we got in front of this and benched the two players involved. It would be funny if everyone else ended up vacating wins etc. and we get to chant FBI at them next year.

On first bracket reveal…

“We just looked at it, can you blankity blank believe this. Now on the day on that name does get announced with all the blood, sweat and tears you go through it is spectacular.”

On Chuck Person’s arrest...

“Chuck called me that morning. He told me briefly what happened. I was shocked. We don’t know what’s true, what isn’t true. We know what’s alleged. Unfortunately, Chuck is fired. I’ve got two assistants that have been put on paid administrative leave, Danjel and Austin don’t have their eligibility for this year. The university has put itself under a very strong investigation to go through this process.”

On not complying with university’s Internal investigation...

“We have complied enough to still be here. I think so many times when you have an internal investigation it should be internal. I wouldn’t be here coaching if there were greater problems.”

On what he knew about Person’s alleged actions....

“Basically because we still have an ongoing investigation I can’t really comment on that other than that we are working through the process and I’m confident that when it’s all said and done I’ll still be the coach at Auburn for the right reasons.”

On the future…

“We take it one day at a time, but I love Auburn. I love it here. I’d love to be able to have a legacy. I’ve said this before — I don’t want a building, I don’t want a street, I don’t think I’ve done enough to ever get a court, but maybe a door. I’d love maybe at one of the entrances to Auburn Arena they call it the Pearly Gates and have it out front. I just hope at the end of the day they don’t show me the door.”

*** Subscribe: Try Auburn Undercover's VIP package FOR FREE and get the latest intel ***

*** Get free breaking news in the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

3 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Dude, I read the charges and I am no lawyer but I think I could argue out of them.  They are trying to use bribery and wire fraud.  However, if I was CP's lawyer, I would argue that CP was just being a lobbyist for that firm and that I was paid to do advertising or something or other

:Sing:  Lobbyist?    if that's his best defense he will be in jail danged near forever.  This is a Federal charge and not something to be heard in a rural Alabama town where juries will believe anything. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

:Sing:  Lobbyist?    if that's his best defense he will be in jail danged near forever.  This is a Federal charge and not something to be heard in a rural Alabama town where juries will believe anything. 

I understand that they are federal charges but like anything there are 6 different counts and they are kind of flimsy charges.  For what the gov is alleging and what they probably will get him on are two different things.  I don't think he will see time and it looks like the feds did some questionable things so we will see how this plays out.  The trial isn't until next year so I imagine other trials will go first but since I am not a lawyer, I don't know how serious they would be treating it.  And yeah a lobbyist is exactly what he was doing.  take a look at what lobbyist can get away with when it comes to politicians and what the lobbyist pays for and contributes.   

I agree with Coach Pearl. If they had anything on him he wouldn't be coaching now.  The media is still butthurt from being wrong in the Cam non-issue.  The attorneys and schools get the same or better info than the media gets.  If Coach was guilty or even suspicion of guilt, he would have been suspended or fired.  Person was fired and arrested based on aquired info.  The players involved were suspended based on the info available.  Why would Coach Pearl not be if there was damaging info on him?  

I hope this all works out. I like BP. Even before this season. I must admit not cooperating fully with the internal investigations is concerning. Just imagine how we’d feel if the bammer coach did that. So I’m looking through orange and blue....

On 2/17/2018 at 2:56 PM, alexava said:

I hope this all works out. I like BP. Even before this season. I must admit not cooperating fully with the internal investigations is concerning. Just imagine how we’d feel if the bammer coach did that. So I’m looking through orange and blue....

Actually very smart in not talking very openly to the administration due to the FBI investigating and if they get different stories from the Admin and CBP then they will dig much more (essentially they could be saying the same thing but you know how conversations sometimes get distorted).  Best to wait until it is all over for all parties.  Then the NCAA can't use things against CBP also.  SO if the FBI finds nothing on him then that is much better for him and AU.  NCAA can't punish for something that is not enticing players to go to AU.  However, they could pull that PSU crap and try and punish us anyway.  Other teams should face the same fate.  So they would have to go after UL, USC, etc

On 2/17/2018 at 8:01 AM, aujeff11 said:

It’s so Auburn to have a clout of uncertainty during all of our great seasons. I wish we could enjoy our rise to the top as a basketball program and not worry about losing the most popular coach in Auburn. Again, so Auburn. 

I was thinking the same thing. It's happened in football and basketball. At least the Equestrian and Swimming Championship teams were cloud free. :-\ It's always great to be an Auburn fan but dang, it would be nice to have zero distractions when we're on a roll. 

30 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I was thinking the same thing. It's happened in football and basketball. At least the Equestrian and Swimming Championship teams were cloud free. :-\ It's always great to be an Auburn fan but dang, it would be nice to have zero distractions when we're on a roll. 

well when you have hacks in the media who are paid by uat interests to constantly embellish and run negative AU stories that doesn't help.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a negative headline on Pearl's interview, may still come.

Something like "Auburn's Pearl disputes insider expert investigative reporter thamels opinion"

Paul hackbaum will devote next hour on who is right, call in with any rumors or fake news on Pearl and Auburn.

After that  a 30 minute worship service for all things uat.

I listened to the interview, but I’m a little confused about what ‘We’ve complied enough to still be here’ means. Why not comply fully with Auburn’s internal investigation? Especially if you’re innocent?

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

Paul hackbaum will devote next hour on who is right, call in with any rumors or fake news on Pearl and Auburn.

This. He will give any knuckle dragger air time if they are talking crap about Auburn.

15 hours ago, WarDamnAirForce said:

I listened to the interview, but I’m a little confused about what ‘We’ve complied enough to still be here’ means. Why not comply fully with Auburn’s internal investigation? Especially if you’re innocent?

IIRC, he cooperated to the extent his attorney suggested

4 hours ago, selias said:

IIRC, he cooperated to the extent his attorney suggested

Glad he did....stonewalling Leath did not look good and we all knew there were some things he could say without any personal jeopardy.    He was suitably evasive in the interview but did not look like he was hiding anything either.  

Now we just wait and see what the NCAA does...

I am a big fan of Bruce. I am glad he is the coach. That said, I was less than impressed with his responses and they gave me pause.  Something just doesn’t feel right.  

9 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I am a big fan of Bruce. I am glad he is the coach. That said, I was less than impressed with his responses and they gave me pause.  Something just doesn’t feel right.  

You mean on the ESPN show? What did you expect him to say?

He actually said more than he ever has so far, with some comments that either is wishful thinking on his part, or makes him feel better about his future as our BB coach after ongoing talks with Leath and AD staff involved (these are Leath's words).

18 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

There is a lot that is not right....mostly I wonder about the two assistant coaches....been zero information about where they  got into it...unless they knew about what CP was doing....maybe with DP for example .....and did not say anything.     

As for BP......he's probably on the line between " had no clue what was going on"... or "some things made me wonder"....but he did not say or do anything.     I still think he personally will get some penalty...JMO.      Also JMO but there is a risk that if the NCAA comes down him again, he could be done as a coach in NCAA basketball.   He's working hard to keep his job.......and who can blame him for that? 

Steeleagle, your comment re: wishful thinking on his part reinforces my statement that something just doesn’t feel right. It is not my intention to bash Bruce in any way, and I won’t engage in any more conversation about my post for fear that it could take on its own life and spiral downward. 

I sure hope the situation has a good conclusion for Bruce and Auburn. 

I get what your saying Mike but how is it not going to feel weird when the FBI is snooping  around? Yes, it’s all not right at this point. Everyone is guarded about the topic, lawyers in everyone’s ear, short staffed, short team, and oh, and it’s happening amid our best season in 20 years. It’s an odd situation to say the absolute least. :)

22 hours ago, WarDamnAirForce said:

He basically complied enough to get Auburn to listen to and understand his perspective in this situation. What Leath and the internal investigation was doing was putting Bruce in an unwinnable situation. Either potentially incriminate or purger himself by giving differing info to Auburn and the FBI or get fired by his employer for not cooperating with their investigation while the FBI was still conducting an investigation. I believe Auburn and Bruce worked out a temporary truce, and I think that’s what he’s talking about there. 

58 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I get what your saying Mike but how is it not going to feel weird when the FBI is snooping  around? Yes, it’s all not right at this point. Everyone is guarded about the topic, lawyers in everyone’s ear, short staffed, short team, and oh, and it’s happening amid our best season in 20 years. It’s an odd situation to say the absolute least. :)

Do we know that the FBI is snooping around?

Far as I've heard, they got CP on tape a year ago and it was done while he was out of state....which is why the Feds have him.   Just guessing that the Feds would not care what BP knew unless there was some indication that he was personally involved or could be used as a witness against CP (and this is what I suspect). 

Otherwise, if there is any snooping still going on, it's likely to be by the NCAA.   Mostly this stuff is now ancient history.....just a matter of getting to powers running the show to disclose what they know and what they plan to do about it. 

Archived