Basketball Probe

WDG

15 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL, but you were a big supporter of Jay Jacobs and JJ hired Pearl and forced Pearl to hire Person who brought the whole FBI probe to AU.  

wde

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

This takes over first place in the competition for most inane post of the year.

It's like a 'six degrees of Kevin Bacon' applied to Auburn basketball.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Pretty close...but CP was also apparently giving money to active players or families of active players....which is where NCAA comes into the picture...that "impermissible benefits" thing. .....   

Louisville was cheating all over the place and the university administration pretty much accepted it.....UNC acted contrite, self imposed a few things and did not keep the culprits around ....and as a Blue Blood school, they got a pass.    Louisville was called out....and they ignored it...JMO

I hope your abbreviation for CP is Chuck Person and not Coach Pearl. lol (Just kidding).

I will add that Person was not using it as a recruiting tool, so not a recruiting violation but giving money to existing players/parents to get them to the next level. (of which both players have been suspended for the whole year).

How much more would the NCAA intervene?

Seems to be that the general consensus by the talking heads on ATL sports radio is that Coach Pearl will almost certainly be fired at the end of the season.  I hope that they are just spitting venom. It would be a great loss for AU basketball.

14 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

Seems to be that the general consensus by the talking heads on ATL sports radio is that Coach Pearl will almost certainly be fired at the end of the season.  I hope that they are just spitting venom. It would be a great loss for AU basketball.

they wish, since when do these hacks that spread slander libel and fake news become experts?

Notice none have facts, it just their wishful thinking and anti Auburn agenda

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

If he was going to be fired that would have already happened. 

Meh...  What benefit does it bring to fire him now?  We are a few games left in the season; about to go to the tournament for first time in forever; and there is nobody on staff that is a good alternative.

Now don't get me wrong, I TRULY HOPE THEY DO NOT FIRE BRUCE!!!!  But I don't think they would do it right now if they were going to.  They will wait until season is over.  Even if we had to go back and vacate wins, at least the boys got best chance to compete.

Think about this.  If Bruce had done something that justified his firing and leath did not do so early on, he, the self-described academic, would have sold his reputation for the sake of winning.  Doesn’t compute. 

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Meh...  What benefit does it bring to fire him now?  We are a few games left in the season; about to go to the tournament for first time in forever; and there is nobody on staff that is a good alternative.

Now don't get me wrong, I TRULY HOPE THEY DO NOT FIRE BRUCE!!!!  But I don't think they would do it right now if they were going to.  They will wait until season is over.  Even if we had to go back and vacate wins, at least the boys got best chance to compete.

I would think considering his past, that if the PTB had anything even remotely concrete against him, they absolutely would fire him on the spot. 

ETA...I totally agree with you. I hope he coaches here a long LOOOOOOONG time!

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

JMO but seems the university has done all it can do to respond to what Person did....so vacating wins would seem to be off the table unless it were to turn up that someone still playing got paid too.   Otherwise, the alleged guilty parties have not played a single game and there is no reason to vacate any games. 

As for the coach.?     guess I don't see him getting fired....but if the NCAA enforces some form of full accountability there could be some penalties. .

It does interest me how much credibility that Thamel and Schlabach seem to have with the talk radio guys..   Maybe they are just protecting the brotherhood....., heard a couple folks commenting about their recent articles and opining that both guys had "excellent sources" which might be true but both have also been caught spreading misinformation on several occasions too. JMO but what the talking heads are doing is just echoing stuff they are hearing from Thamel and Schlabach

4 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

It's like a 'six degrees of Kevin Bacon' applied to Auburn basketball.

Not really,

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but seems the university has done all it can do to respond to what Person did....so vacating wins would seem to be off the table unless it were to turn up that someone still playing got paid too.   Otherwise, the alleged guilty parties have not played a single game and there is no reason to vacate any games. 

As for the coach.?     guess I don't see him getting fired....but if the NCAA enforces some form of full accountability there could be some penalties. .

It does interest me how much credibility that Thamel and Schlabach seem to have with the talk radio guys..   Maybe they are just protecting the brotherhood....., heard a couple folks commenting about their recent articles and opining that both guys had "excellent sources" which might be true but both have also been caught spreading misinformation on several occasions too. JMO but what the talking heads are doing is just echoing stuff they are hearing from Thamel and Schlabach

They said the same thing in 2010 about Cam though. Not saying we will be in the clear but they've been grossly wrong before.

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

The university has made it's decision not to fire Bruce Pearl. Now, should the NCAA come up with something that requires him to be fired, that changes things but Auburn isn't waiting around for the end of the season. If it was going to be Auburn's doing, he'd already be gone. He's not gone so....

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Pretty close...but CP was also apparently giving money to active players or families of active players....which is where NCAA comes into the picture...that "impermissible benefits" thing. .....   

Louisville was cheating all over the place and the university administration pretty much accepted it.....UNC acted contrite, self imposed a few things and did not keep the culprits around ....and as a Blue Blood school, they got a pass.    Louisville was called out....and they ignored it...JMO

UNC out lawyered them.  It was academic related vice athletic related and that is why they won.  NCAA covers athletics and not academics so UNC took their lunch because those same classes were open to other students. (well if you want to call them classes).

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/10/13/16430302/north-carolina-scandal-ncaa-violations-sanctions

9 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

UNC out lawyered them.  It was academic related vice athletic related and that is why they won.  NCAA covers athletics and not academics so UNC took their lunch because those same classes were open to other students. (well if you want to call them classes).

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/10/13/16430302/north-carolina-scandal-ncaa-violations-sanctions

Agree.....and I regret to say that my son was in one of those "non classes" and I was paying for it...>:(

President Leath & AD Greene would seal their own fates if they tried to fire Bruce Pearl after this season. Barring Bruce Pearl being caught on tape/video with Chuck Person by the FBI, then there’s no way that AD Greene is coming to these games to cheer for Bruce Pearl when he knows that he’s going to fire him at the end of the year. 

If the NCAA punishes Bruce, then so be it. But Auburn better stand up and fight for Bruce Pearl and this team. This man is about to go on the greatest run in Auburn basketball history. And as good as we have been this year, I think next year can be even better. 

On 2/21/2018 at 10:49 PM, CameronCrazy said:

President Leath & AD Greene would seal their own fates if they tried to fire Bruce Pearl after this season. Barring Bruce Pearl being caught on tape/video with Chuck Person by the FBI, then there’s no way that AD Greene is coming to these games to cheer for Bruce Pearl when he knows that he’s going to fire him at the end of the year. 

If the NCAA punishes Bruce, then so be it. But Auburn better stand up and fight for Bruce Pearl and this team. This man is about to go on the greatest run in Auburn basketball history. And as good as we have been this year, I think next year can be even better. 

Next year could be VERY special, especially if Wiley decides to stick around.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, boomstick said:

In regards to his contract, he can be held responsible for the actions of his assistants. It’s an NCAA bylaw, and his contract will probably deal specifically with that bylaw as well as others. But he can prove he did everything possible to prevent infractions from happening and his assistant did it anyway. That’s how he would avoid being caught up in that particular bylaw. 

With our compliance department, I feel confident we promoted a program of compliance and they helped monitor the assistants and Bruce to keep them from committing infractions. Hopefully, that is satisfactory to the NCAA. 

ncaa credibility is worthless. Auburn will not fire Pearl, he is set to get bonuses depending on how well we do in the tournament.

When this is all said and done, Auburn may be the only school that did everything right.

Lets hear more about Sexton's meal. Is any of that considered dealing with an agent?

4 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

ncaa credibility is worthless. Auburn will not fire Pearl, he is set to get bonuses depending on how well we do in the tournament.

When this is all said and done, Auburn may be the only school that did everything right.

Lets hear more about Sexton's meal. Is any of that considered dealing with an agent?

Didn't Bama fire one of their basketball related individuals over this FBI crap already?  I would assume there had to be a player involved somehow..

4 minutes ago, Johndunc said:

Didn't Bama fire one of their basketball related individuals over this FBI crap already?  I would assume there had to be a player involved somehow..

Yes and Sexton was held out one game. UAT cleared everything up in a few hours. Since then you can bet that all traces have been cleaned up and everyone has their story right.

46 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Yes and Sexton was held out one game. UAT cleared everything up in a few hours. Since then you can bet that all traces have been cleaned up and everyone has their story right.

But I think this new YAhoo report with FBI findings from this office, with documents showing all these lists with players, coaches, payments, etc, also now includes Sexton involved in a possible loan, and who knows what else...that was different than when he was held out at the beginning of this season and the Alabama rep resigning with his connection with agent/Sexton.

Lots of familiar names on that expense ledger published today and supposedly that's just a sample of what the FBI has in it's possession. 

Hard to believe that NCAA won't have to take action before the tournament.  If schools don't take some action they risk losing everything they have done this season.  Next couple of weeks will be very interesting.

• 1 month later...

Archived