Basketball Probe

WDG

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This deserves to be a topic of its own. 

Thanks for posting

Agreed. This is huge. Almost clears Bruce to return, barring any unforeseen investigation finding.

24 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Agreed. This is huge. Almost clears Bruce to return, barring any unforeseen investigation finding.

Done

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This deserves to be a topic of its own. 

Thanks for posting

26 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I'm sure the NCAA will be all over that!

Just proves that the sports apparel companies are a lot smarter than a bunch of assistant coaches.out there doing about the same thing and losing their jobs over it. And just another indication of the corruption of AAU. 

Guess we can rag on the NCAA about this  but the Bagley thing started back in HS ......and as we discussed regarding IMG,  the trafficking of HS kids is almost totally unregulated.  This family was smart enough to get their money during that window of opportunity when no one seemed to have jurisdiction.....and to be realistic, schools like Duke don't have to pay a kid to attend ....so they can probably stay clean as far as the NCAA is concerned. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just proves that the sports apparel companies are a lot smarter than a bunch of assistant coaches.out there doing about the same thing and losing their jobs over it. And just another indication of the corruption of AAU. 

Guess we can rag on the NCAA about this  but the Bagley thing started back in HS ......and as we discussed regarding IMG,  the trafficking of HS kids is almost totally unregulated.  This family was smart enough to get their money during that window of opportunity when no one seemed to have jurisdiction.....and to be realistic, schools like Duke don't have to pay a kid to attend ....so they can probably stay clean as far as the NCAA is concerned. 

AAU is as dirty as it can possibly be, the people that run those teams all the way down to the mom hauling drinks/snacks are getting hand outs left & right.  It's been that way for many years.

I've attended several AAU tournaments as a spectator and the crap that goes on in the stands and in the parking lots between coaches/parents/college recruiters is horrible.  It's become a glorified slave sale and the parents & "legal guardians" are nothing more than pimps.  It's so out of control that the NCAA couldn't touch the corruption, and finally the FBI has had to step in.

College teams with a players from the AAU ranks have a bought and paid for player, that's the only way the AAU does business.  But the college recruiters and coaches know that because its been that way forever.

41 minutes ago, keesler said:

College teams with a players from the AAU ranks have a bought and paid for player, that's the only way the AAU does business.  But the college recruiters and coaches know that because its been that way forever.

The top players are bought and sold while in HS and schools like Duke and UK don't really have to compete to get a good class each year....and certainly don't have to pay players or parents direct.    Nike and Adidas get 'em and likely pave the way to the schools where they have relations.  NCAA does not have a chance against what is virtually "organized crime". It's no accident that all the 5* guys end up at small number of power schools...and it's the ambitious second-tier basketball schools like AU an Oklahoma State and others who are fighting over the crumbs left after the big guys make their selection...who get in trouble. 

The one area where Bilas and I agree is that the top kids should be getting paid...except I'm thinking, not by the schools, but by the NBA in some kind of minor league structure....G League or whatever...funded by the apparel companies.    Bilas should be smart enough to realize that schools can't just pick out certain players and give them "performance pay".   I don't know what his end-game is but he's promoting a totally unworkable scheme.

The places and coaches you have to admire are at schools like Butler and Loyola-Chi where they might have a few 3* recruits and manage to turn them into a solid team....nobody looking to jump the NBA and few kids trying to build their own stats at the expense of the rest of the team.   Coach K and Coach Cal are now reaping the results of their "one and done" plans.    

Kinda makes you think back to ol Barbee claiming that the fact that we were an Under Armour school prevented him from winning. That tells you a lot about what he needs to win and makes you glad we are an Under Armour school because it places us above the fray.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Kinda makes you think back to ol Barbee claiming that the fact that we were an Under Armour school prevented him from winning. That tells you a lot about what he needs to win and makes you glad we are an Under Armour school because it places us above the fray.

We just had multiple basketball personnel leave or put on suspension (one a main focus of an FBI investigation), 2 players sit out for a full season, and a 5* recruit decommit......but it sure is nice to be above the fray.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not sure Under Armour is "above the fray" any longer.    Barbee probably knew what he was talking about back then.....but they have fought their way into the mainstream and I'm guessing that did not happen because they were a bunch of good boy scouts.     No doubt they owe Auburn for giving them the chance to play with the big guys......but too much of their pricey gear showing up on TV now ......and I'm not inclined to think it is just because the kids like it best.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I'm not sure Under Armour is "above the fray" any longer.    Barbee probably knew what he was talking about back then.....but they have fought their way into the mainstream and I'm guessing that did not happen because they were a bunch of good boy scouts.     No doubt they owe Auburn for giving them the chance to play with the big guys......but too much of their pricey gear showing up on TV now ......and I'm not inclined to think it is just because the kids like it best.  

They may not be, but they aren't deep in the muck like Adidas and Nike so they are likely to avoid the current probes.

58 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

We just had multiple basketball personnel leave or put on suspension (one a main focus of an FBI investigation), 2 players sit out for a full season, and a 5* recruit decommit......but it sure is nice to be above the fray.

Two completely different situations. We aren't involved in shoegate. Also, the decommit had nothing to do with the situation. That was a personal issue.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Above the fray?  Auburn?

I'm sorry, when I see 3 coaches no longer on the staff, 2 players suspended for a full season due to getting paid $$$ and committing NCAA violations, that just doesn't point to Auburn being above the fray.  Like we are clean as a virgin's honey pot.

You are aware AU recruits via the AAU circuit, right?  

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

Above the fray?  Auburn?

I'm sorry, when I see 3 coaches no longer on the staff, 2 players suspended for a full season due to getting paid $$$ and committing NCAA violations, that just doesn't point to Auburn being above the fray.  Like we are clean as a virgin's honey pot.

Most of us want to believe better of AU but you can't go back far enough into our history that you don't run across players doing the wrong thing...or boosters doing the wrong thing.....or coaches doing the wrong thing.        I wish it weren't so......but you just can't ignore the facts...:dunno:

38 minutes ago, keesler said:

Above the fray?  Auburn?

Above the current fray sound better to you? As in we have never been named in the shoe company investigation, unlike other teams in our league and one team with the potentially to with the national championship only to have to possibly vacate it later.

The Person issue was separate and all him. The players families being paid was about him making money and had nothing to do with Auburn. The fray is trying to drag us in, but Pearl is running a clean program. This is why I don't understand people having issue with McGlynn. Yea, he's a hard ass when it comes to the rules, but whenever anyone tries to drag us through the mud, we come out clean.

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Two completely different situations. We aren't involved in shoegate. Also, the decommit had nothing to do with the situation. That was a personal issue.

I think you're a bit out of touch with the reality of college basketball.

Saw that a kid announced going direct from HS to the G League.   Hoping that starts a trend for the one and done type players and might help clean up the sport a bit. 

Hope the pay is good...it has been acknowledged by Bilas and others that one year at Duke or UK is not worth much so guys might as well take the money above the table and skip the sham of being a college student.

1 hour ago, WDEKC said:

I think you're a bit out of touch with the reality of college basketball.

I think you're trying to equate the specific situations I'm discussing with the the general state of the game just to say that I'm wrong and you're right, but to each his own.

Good piece on Bagley at Duke and how the "blue blood" schools skate.   Family was apparently selling shirts and stuff with his picture on them in January.....and nothing happened.  And not to mentioned what went on before he was at Duke. 

Duke sounds like bama on this one....."we checked and found nothing wrong"...:-\    NCAA concurred....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article207327084.html

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That right there is scary. There's no telling what he might've been involved in had he been turned loose. He did come into a bad situation but his methods of recovery might've gotten AU in serious trouble. IIRC he was butting heads with compliance while he was at AU.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Saw that a kid announced going direct from HS to the G League.   Hoping that starts a trend for the one and done type players and might help clean up the sport a bit. 

Hope the pay is good...it has been acknowledged by Bilas and others that one year at Duke or UK is not worth much so guys might as well take the money above the table and skip the sham of being a college student.

I hate this. That kid is no doubt being exploited and it's being condoned.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you're trying to equate the specific situations I'm discussing with the the general state of the game just to say that I'm wrong and you're right, but to each his own.

Ha, ok. This thread is about the NCAA/FBI basketball probe which was on more levels than just shoe companies.  I also don't think Under Armour is above any of this. If anything, they may be more susceptible to going over the line due to trying to get into the game against the establishment.

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I hate this. That kid is no doubt being exploited and it's being condoned.

Can you elaborate? I'm torn so I want to hear other perspectives. On one hand I like that a kid has the option. On the other I'm not sure if this will hurt or help college basketball. Will it eventually turn into a bunch of 4 and 5* kids start doing this each year depleting college hoops? And why wouldn't or shouldn't they? They can get free housing and get ~30k of real money for a year in the G-League. 

I don't want to see college hoops take a hit, especially now that we are starting to have some real success. Lol, selfish I know!

Archived