Null

Sign in to follow this  
WDG

Basketball Probe

Could this be overreach?

The government accuses the coaches of depriving the universities of their honest

services as university employees by soliciting and receiving bribes.

Will be interesting.

How could a player that spent 12 years in NBA need money? 

War Eagle

https://www.wsj.com/articles/probe-into-ncaa-basketball-relies-on-unusual-legal-theories-1506553296

NCAA Basketball Relies on Unusual Legal Theories - WSJ.pdf do not know if this will work 

Edited by Ravad
IMHO this is a racist comment

Is this a haiku?

________

Could this be overreach?

The government accuses the coaches of depriving the universities of their honest

services as university employees by soliciting and receiving bribes.

Will be interesting.

How could a player that spent 12 years in NBA need money? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't know much about the law here but it seems to me that this is a case of entrapment where the FBI initiated a criminal enterprise and then enticed participants with large amounts of money and some were too weak to reject it. That doesn't make the coaches innocent but it feels like the FBI is the more guilty party here. Unfortunately the victims here are the teenagers who trusted their coaches and will probably  end up losing their college careers and education as a consequence. Of course the other victim is our school that is being dragged through the mud and will probably have our basketball program destroyed. I know there is a lot more to this story that we have not heard yet but this is how it feels right now.

No this is not over reach and it is not entrapment.  This all boils down to securities fraud (and many other charges) against a financial adviser.  That adviser then rolled over on anyone and everyone he could to get time and fines taken away.  Paying anyone to receive their business as a financial adviser is illegal and when caught can be very expensive.

As for Chuck needing money, well statistics show that most (somewhere like 70%) of the professional sports players are broke within a few years after retirement.  It is not far fetched that Chuck may not be broke by average joe terms but in his mind he was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

No this is not over reach and it is not entrapment.  This all boils down to securities fraud (and many other charges) against a financial adviser.  That adviser then rolled over on anyone and everyone he could to get time and fines taken away.  Paying anyone to receive their business as a financial adviser is illegal and when caught can be very expensive.

As for Chuck needing money, well statistics show that most (somewhere like 70%) of the professional sports players are broke within a few years after retirement.  It is not far fetched that Chuck may not be broke by average joe terms but in his mind he was.

What i don't get about person is that he has been coaching at the NBA level and college level since about the time he retired. So its not like he was in a lot of player's position where he got done with BB and then had nothing to fall back on. I don't know what he was making in the NBA and at AU but it would have to be atleast 6 figures right? Dude most have quite the cocaine and stripper habit to support 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gravejd said:

What i don't get about person is that he has been coaching at the NBA level and college level since about the time he retired. So its not like he was in a lot of player's position where he got done with BB and then had nothing to fall back on. I don't know what he was making in the NBA and at AU but it would have to be atleast 6 figures right? Dude most have quite the cocaine and stripper habit to support 

Yeah it is amazing how people can spend money.  I remember my first real job and I was so excited because the salary was so much compared to my SteakOut hourly wage.  My mom told me some wise advice right then: "You spend what you make".  I have been a firm believer in this statement since then when I realized every raise I ever get always is gone before I get it.  I presume this holds true for them as well.  At least until you start making HFC for an SEC school.  When you get to be that age and making those wages surely you won't spend all that.

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

Yeah it is amazing how people can spend money.  I remember my first real job and I was so excited because the salary was so much compared to my SteakOut hourly wage.  My mom told me some wise advice right then: "You spend what you make".  I have been a firm believer in this statement since then when I realized every raise I ever get always is gone before I get it.  I presume this holds true for them as well.  At least until you start making HFC for an SEC school.  When you get to be that age and making those wages surely you won't spend all that.

Best advice I got on the subject is when you get a raise...do not spend it.....go to the 401k.

Saw on a 247 sports article where the FBI is interested in the NCAA itself now regarding what they know about all the shoe companies involvements.

Time to get out the popcorn.

15 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Saw on a 247 sports article where the FBI is interested in the NCAA itself now regarding what they know about all the shoe companies involvements.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I expected this because there is no way to deflect the s*** away from them this time.   Emmert is going to get his payback ( i hope) and ya'll are about to learn some stuff about this rat b*******

21 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I expected this because there is no way to deflect the s*** away from them this time.   Emmert is going to get his payback ( i hope) and ya'll are about to learn some stuff about this rat b*******

If he goes down, no way bama football isn't involved.  They are "like peas and carrots"

5 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

If he goes down, no way bama football isn't involved.  They are "like peas and carrots"

If I get finished with my running around tomorrow, let me see what I can dig up on ole markie boy and little buddy nickie

17 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

lol that made me spit my beer out

:cheers: I have to drink one for ya then. 

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Start working on your brackets...

IMG_0579.JPG

That's freakin' hysterical  :bow:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mickeyspano said:

I don't know much about the law here but it seems to me that this is a case of entrapment where the FBI initiated a criminal enterprise and then enticed participants with large amounts of money and some were too weak to reject it. That doesn't make the coaches innocent but it feels like the FBI is the more guilty party here. Unfortunately the victims here are the teenagers who trusted their coaches and will probably  end up losing their college careers and education as a consequence. Of course the other victim is our school that is being dragged through the mud and will probably have our basketball program destroyed. I know there is a lot more to this story that we have not heard yet but this is how it feels right now.

These kids are not interested in a college career or education - they and their families have their hand out looking for cash.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Best advice I got on the subject is when you get a raise...do not spend it.....go to the 401k.

I do and have for years. Lost a lot in last market turn as everyone did.  Trying to find new investments that help me outside of market

Charles Barkley quote about this situation:

"It's been there forever, and now everybody wants to act like they're totally in shock now, and they're just full of crap," he said. "This stuff has been going on forever."

(article on al.com)

13 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I do and have for years. Lost a lot in last market turn as everyone did.  Trying to find new investments that help me outside of market

Only lost if you sold when the market dropped...takes patience and a bit of courage to ride out the low spots....hope you did not miss the last run up this year.

One thing we learned....check any investment advisor closely .

Edited by AU64
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

If I get finished with my running around tomorrow, let me see what I can dig up on ole markie boy and little buddy nickie

Wouldn’t it be fun if the ncaa/emmert sacrificed Bama football in order to save itself...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Charles Barkley quote about this situation:

"It's been there forever, and now everybody wants to act like they're totally in shock now, and they're just full of crap," he said. "This stuff has been going on forever."

(article on al.com)

😏 who would know better than Charles......

12 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Don't let anyone know the route you're running. If anyone finds out you're digging around you could fall up a hill or even worse. :dunno:

15 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Oh, this could get MOST interesting in a New York minute.