Basketball Probe

WDG

I know this has been mentioned, but I just looked at the "Cecil Newton rule" and I had it in my mind wrong. Austin didn't have to know a thing about the money to be ruled ineligible, so there was no way he was getting out of this without a loss of eligibility. Why did anyone think he would?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I know this has been mentioned, but I just looked at the "Cecil Newton rule" and I had it in my mind wrong. Austin didn't have to know a thing about the money to be ruled ineligible, so there was no way he was getting out of this without a loss of eligibility. Why did anyone think he would?

Since we don't know what actually happened, or how they tried to defend it, anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's, but I would bet that they tried to play the "rogue employee/money had nothing to do with him being at Auburn" card and hoped the NCAA would side with the kid who may have done nothing wrong.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Since we don't know what actually happened, or how they tried to defend it, anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's, but I would bet that they tried to play the "rogue employee/money had nothing to do with him being at Auburn" card and hoped the NCAA would side with the kid who may have done nothing wrong.

Yeah, and that's probably how they got him back for next year, which won't matter. We know from the transcripts Vicki took money, so that's enough to get Austin ruled out. If he didn't know, shame on her. If he did, shame on all of them. Either way, we won't see him ever again in an AU uniform.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, and that's probably how they got him back for next year, which won't matter. We know from the transcripts Vicki took money, so that's enough to get Austin ruled out. If he didn't know, shame on her. If he did, shame on all of them. Either way, we won't see him ever again in an AU uniform.

From what I've heard that's not a definite. There's a decent amount of buzz that he feels like he needs a year in college before going pro. Time will tell. I do think Purifoy is done, however. I think he's been through too much at this point.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

From what I've heard that's not a definite. There's a decent amount of buzz that he feels like he needs a year in college before going pro. Time will tell. I do think Purifoy is done, however. I think he's been through too much at this point.

If he grades high enough to get drafted in the first 2 rounds, I bet he goes. I should have said, "we most likely won't see him ever again in an AU uniform."

You have to wonder how bad Vicki feels    now given what her son had a chance to be a part of this year. The amount she took for this is chump change compared to what could have been. I’m pretty sure he will still make a good $ but I imagine it could have been so much better.

NEW YORK – It has been five months since the FBI arrested 10 men in a sweeping federal probe into the underbelly of the basketball world. As the three ongoing criminal cases resulting from the investigation plod along, it’s increasingly unlikely there will be another wave of double-digit arrests.

More legal charges still could come, but what’s becoming increasingly clear as the discovery portion of the case comes to a close is that the breadth of potential NCAA rules violations uncovered is wide enough to fundamentally and indelibly alter the sport of college basketball.

The soundtrack to the three federal basketball corruption cases is essentially a ticking time bomb, which will inevitably explode. It will impact every major conference, Hall of Fame coaches, a score of current top players and some of the nation’s most distinguished and respected programs.

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained in the feds’ college hoops corruption case threatens the fundamental structure of the sport. (AP)

There’s a general expectation that this information will be released. It could come in trial, pre-trial motions or released by the government at some point. (No one is certain if they’ve agreed to eventually give it to the NCAA if it doesn’t go public.)

So how bad could be it? In terms of NCAA rules, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports that the material obtained threatens the fundamental structure and integrity of the sport, as there’s potentially as many 50 college basketball programs that could end up compromised in some way.

Among the documents expected to be in the federal government’s protection are the bank records of Miller, who bankrolled middle man, Christian Dawkins, who is at the center of two of the cases.

“If the NCAA is going to get Andy Miller’s bank records, God bless them, I don’t know what they’re going to do,” said another source with direct knowledge of the situation, chuckling at the thought. “You are better off changing the rules. The crazy part of this business is none of the kids are free.”

NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances. There’s a lingering mushroom cloud over the sport’s upcoming showcase event that won’t go away. The most fascinating and tricky variable here is time.

There’s a protective order on the evidence found in discovery in all three cases. Whether the information gets out in dribs and drabs or released at once, the consequences are expected to be severe.

The government is not compelled to release the information, according to Daniel Richman, a former federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York who now teaches at Columbia Law School. “Sometimes never,” he said when asked generally about the timing of the release of information under protective order. He added: “The main sources of release will be in the course of pretrial motions and trial, and/or as related investigations go overt.”

Just now, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Our ole buddy Pete with some trash. I'll wait and see.

the only one more credible than him is Thayer Evans! lol sensationalism journalism at its finest.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

the only one more credible than him is Thayer Evans! lol sensationalism journalism at its finest.

He's probably not wrong, but I refuse to give him the credit ?

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He's probably not wrong, but I refuse to give him the credit ?

HAAAYYYYYUL NO!!!! NEVER!!! We are enemies with him for life! It is personal. Throw Joe Schad in to the mix as well.

Just read an article on ESPN about the FBI probe. Of the 3 cases they're prosecuting, it may be that the 1 involving Chuck is not the same level of seriousness (not that it isn't serious) as the other 2. The other 2 seem to involve Adidas (obviously the Louisville case does) & agents who work for them & tons of money. And it seems the FBI has lots more material (wiretaps, bank account records, etc) from which to draw evidence in those cases. I'm hoping that means less impact on us.

2 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Just read an article on ESPN about the FBI probe. Of the 3 cases they're prosecuting, it may be that the 1 involving Chuck is not the same level of seriousness (not that it isn't serious) as the other 2. The other 2 seem to involve Adidas (obviously the Louisville case does) & agents who work for them & tons of money. And it seems the FBI has lots more material (wiretaps, bank account records, etc) from which to draw evidence in those cases. I'm hoping that means less impact on us.

Thanks for the update! I just am really hoping no matter what happens we keep bruce and do not do something stupid like fire him. I will take a  1 or 2 year post season ban and can live with that if it means we get to keep Bruce. There is NO Au basketball without bruce. It is back to being like the barbee years.

I'm hoping that what President Leath said back in Sept still holds true.

" Leath was shocked by the revelation but found relief in the fact that the university was not implicated and is not a target of the investigation by the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York. I think it says clearly that they don't think there's some structural problem or some broader problem at the university, that this was an isolated individual," Leath told ESPN. "I don't think anybody else knew. I don't think there's any indication at Auburn that anybody else knew about this."

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will take a  1 or 2 year post season ban

this is an unusual set of circumstances and i think we get off with a slap on the head.....compliance did everything right and there will be many more, and much bigger fish in this case than us....yep, we had a POS coach involved, but he was sorta' paying them to leave,not come here.....i am optimistic

24 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

this is an unusual set of circumstances and i think we get off with a slap on the head.....compliance did everything right and there will be many more, and much bigger fish in this case than us....yep, we had a POS coach involved, but he was sorta' paying them to leave,not come here.....i am optimistic

Agree....the targets were the sportswear companies and somehow CP blundered into the mess on a totally different violation.....but they got him on tape so he's got problems and as noted, our much maligned compliance office seems to have done everything right thus far and not even a whisper lately on national media about the university being in the crosshairs. 

I'm guessing they would like to get CP's case out of the way quickly so they can concentrate on the main event and some of the bigger basketball names. 

Pete Thamel lying again to try to justify his salary. I doubt if he knows any more about the specifics of the case than any random member of this message board knows.

14 hours ago, doverstutts said:

This is what I think will be our saving grace in the grand scheme of things

17 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

especially since it is being reported that it does not involve Under Armour, which Auburn uses.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

This is what I think will be our saving grace in the grand scheme of things

I just wonder what the 2 assistants did, that got them suspended? (it had to involve them with what Person was charged with).

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I just wonder what the 2 assistants did, that got them suspended? (it had to involve them with what Person was charged with).

Maybe some secondary violations? I mean Frankie was a video coordinator, right? So not sure what he could be involved in. And I'm not sure what Jordan V's responsibilities were. 

I think a lot of this “new information” revolves around Andy Miller, an NBA agent, and the shoes companies (and their school intermediaries). I don’t believe any of that would involve Bruce or Auburn. Where it may get to Auburn is down the line with AAU teams. I know one Nike AAU organization had documents seized, and a few Auburn players played there. 

I also think it’s important to know who is the source of the info. If this is coming from someone in the FBI, it could be really legit. If it’s coming from one of the prosecutors in one of these cases, they could be blowing some smoke to force a little fear and hopefully get other people to come forward. 

Either way, I don’t think Auburn is out of the woods by any stretch, but I’m not sure this latest revelation directly involves Auburn or Person or Pearl. 

Archived