Schlabach: Pearl, Jacobs can't survive scandal

DKW 86

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

sure they can, the FBI says they are innocent. The ncaa better watch it's on behind cause they are in it too.

This some ground breaking insight from a hack talking to finescum. Of course you don't know, this is news?

espn is probably guilty too.

What about head coaches/ AD at other schools? This hack was just playing to hackbaums toothless audience.

Anymore insight on this topic? If this could finally be the straw that broke the camel's back for Jacobs, I'd take it. I heard where Louisville dismissed their athletic director over something similar, but I have literally zero knowledge of this situation and couldn't really care any less about basketball, so I'm not entirely sure if those situations are related.

29 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

sure they can, the FBI says they are innocent. The ncaa better watch it's on behind cause they are in it too.

This some ground breaking insight from a hack talking to finescum. Of course you don't know, this is news?

espn is probably guilty too.

What about head coaches/ AD at other schools? This hack was just playing to hackbaums toothless audience.

There is the law and then there are NCAA regulations...not the same thing and FBI has no interest in what the NCAA thinks or does with offending coaches, players or schools.      

ADs and coaches at other schools have to answer to their administrators so guess it depends on what those schools chose to do...for example.....

https://sports.yahoo.com/arizona-launches-independent-investigation-richardson-062453372.html

My fear is Pearl does not survive but hopefully he can wade through it.  I'm not taking anything for granted when it comes to JJ.  He is part of the good ol boy group at Auburn and never underestimate that.  That being said though I think JJ is going to be out at some point before the new year.  

I think they'll survive it--mainly because neither of them had anything to do with nor did they know about it. That isn't to say they won't be on thin ice though...especially Jacobs.

But even though I think they'll survive it, a part of me is like, "Well, Jacobs is the one who hired Pearl who hired Person."

Overall, though, Athletics has had one too many scandals this year, isolated or not. Honestly waiting for the day Jacobs is shown the door...

Schlabach as usual is covering all of his bases....."I don't know that" and "I don't think".  LOL, that moron knows less than we do.  I hope Bruce did not know about this although it was under his watch as HC by his associate HC and Bruce has a poor history with the NCAA.  I hope Jay Jacobs gets fired yesterday, today or tomorrow.  If Jay Jacobs truly loved AU and the "fambly" he would resign on his own.

wde

2 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

I think they'll survive it--mainly because neither of them had anything to do with nor did they know about it. That isn't to say they won't be on thin ice though...especially Jacobs.

But even though I think they'll survive it, a part of me is like, "Well, Jacobs is the one who hired Pearl who hired Person."

Overall, though, Athletics has had one too many scandals this year, isolated or not. Honestly waiting for the day Jacobs is shown the door...

From what many have said, Jacobs pressured Pearl to hire Person since he was an Auburn guy even though he likely wasn't Pearl's first choice. I can't say that is the 100% truth but it certainly sounds believable based on the way Jacobs likes bringing in coaches with Auburn ties. I hope Pearl can stay above this but Jacobs should go.

Even if you forget the scandals, look at the state of AU athletics on the field or court or whatever.  Lets look at the "main" sports the majority of fans follow. (No offense meant towards, equestrian or swimming or golf).  Football is average and under achieving, basketball is still in the midst of an NCAA tourney drought since what 2003?  Not to mention its been a mess most of JJ's tenure.  Baseball might be bouncing back who knows but again for the great majority of JJ's tenure its been a wreck. Women's basketball has mostly under achieved and the one nationally competitive sport we had in softball has also been rocked by scandal.   If I did my job that poorly I would have been fired years ago. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Even if you forget the scandals, look at the state of AU athletics on the field or court or whatever.  Lets look at the "main" sports the majority of fans follow. (No offense meant towards, equestrian or swimming or golf).  Football is average and under achieving, basketball is still in the midst of an NCAA tourney drought since what 2003?  Not to mention its been a mess most of JJ's tenure.  Baseball might be bouncing back who knows but again for the great majority of JJ's tenure its been a wreck. Women's basketball has mostly under achieved and the one nationally competitive sport we had in softball has also been rocked by scandal.   If I did my job that poorly I would have been fired years ago. 

This. I'll give him credit where credit is due: Hitting a homerun with the new softball hire, and gymnastics has been consistently successful the past few years. But I'm concerned about his overall lack of vision when it comes to the athletic program, if that makes sense? Like for example, I can't remember which article it was, but it mentioned that boosters were getting concerned with how he seems to only push for bigger scoreboards in Jordan-Hare.

He also hired a head coach (Malzahn) who lacks vision with the football program too (excluding the A+ hires of the defensive staff).

Just now, WDE0007 said:

This. I'll give him credit where credit is due: Hitting a homerun with the new softball hire, and gymnastics has been consistently successful the past few years. But I'm concerned about his overall lack of vision when it comes to the athletic program, if that makes sense? Like for example, I can't remember which article it was, but it mentioned that boosters were getting concerned with how he seems to only push for bigger scoreboards in Jordan-Hare.

He also hired a head coach (Malzahn) who lacks vision with the football program too (excluding the A+ hires of the defensive staff).

Thing is that until the big money influence gets out of the way they will just keep hiring puppets to be AD.  I had a lot of respect for Jermey Foley at UF who seemed to have autonomy on making decisions and was ultra successful building up all the UF sports. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Thing is that until the big money influence gets out of the way they will just keep hiring puppets to be AD.  I had a lot of respect for Jermey Foley at UF who seemed to have autonomy on making decisions and was ultra successful building up all the UF sports. 

This was the AD who hired Muschamp?  and has a football team with about half the freshman class up for felony charges?  But overall has done pretty well I guess.  All of them have the same problems....some good hires and some bad ones.....just the nature of the job.

Meanwhile.... IMO JJ and BP will have the same fate....both will be kept or both will be fired. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

This was the AD who hired Muschamp?  and has a football team with about half the freshman class up for felony charges?  But overall has done pretty well I guess.  All of them have the same problems....some good hires and some bad ones.....just the nature of the job.

Meanwhile.... IMO JJ and BP will have the same fate....both will be kept or both will be fired. 

Yeah nobody's perfect but I believe they won 2 nattys in football and basketball under him and maybe 1 in baseball?  And for most of that time the "big 3" sports were very competitive...Muschamp notwithstanding lol. 

It's just frustrating seeing other schools having multiple successful sports teams year in and year out. For example: Louisville having successful football and basketball teams (let's take the recent scandal out the picture for a moment). Georgia and Florida having successful football teams, basketball teams that have made it to the NCAA Tourney in the past few years, and swim teams with Olympic gold medalists. 

I know every school is different but yeesh...the die-hard Auburn fan in me believes there's no reason Auburn can't enjoy that type of success in other sports too lol. I'm just tired of having that one sports team that excels every couple years. Jacobs doesn't have the drive or vision to create an athletic powerhouse, but that's just my opinion.

1 hour ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Anymore insight on this topic? If this could finally be the straw that broke the camel's back for Jacobs, I'd take it. I heard where Louisville dismissed their athletic director over something similar, but I have literally zero knowledge of this situation and couldn't really care any less about basketball, so I'm not entirely sure if those situations are related.

Louisville fired their AD and essentially fired their HC because an assistant is on tape negotiating with an Adidas exec to pay $100K to a recruit to go to Louisville, which he did. On that tape, the assistant says they have to keep this deal really quiet because Louisville just go put on probation for other recruiting violations. This meeting took place 6 weeks after Louisville's punishment from the NCAA was handed down in the Madam case. Other schools have been implicated as well. Most of them deal with assistant coaches, shoe company execs, agents/financial advisers, and recruits. An Adidas executive was arrested, and Nike's grassroots basketball operation has been subpoenaed to turn over all pertinent documents. This seems like an attack on the shoe companies for bribes and shady deals in the AAU world, and they used some of these assistants as their way into this world. 

Chuck Person is a bit different from the rest of this case. He is accused of taking bribes from a financial adviser in exchange for Person bringing him current players that will sign with the adviser when they go into the draft. Person was being paid by that adviser and was taking some of that money and paying the players and players' families to secure the deal, which is an impermissible benefit. It's entirely possible that Person acted on his own and JJ and Pearl had no knowledge of these improper dealings. The big concern, at least for me, is this invites the NCAA to come investigate the basketball program, and given the shady world of AAU recruiting and how well we've recruited the last few years, I'd think there are some really uncomfortable folks in the basketball program right now. Plus, Pearl's contentious relationship with the NCAA makes me worry that they may be on a crusade to find anything on Pearl. Not a good situation to be in right now IMO.

24 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

There has been talk that JJ was not involved at all in the hiring of the new softball coach, and his only participation in that was announcing him at the press conference. So, I'm not sure how much credit he will or should get for that hire. 

Softball fiasco

Women's basketball cheating

Men's college basketball FBI probe (and how long has it been since we made the tourney?)

Men's college baseball has been terrible for years (think about the Galloway suit/mess) 

Ticket issue 

In many cases, like this recent Person's saga, he may not be personally responsible... but all of this happened under his watch with coaches he hired. I just do not see how someone can survive this much heat.  I bet we are spending so much money in legal fees for our athletic department. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

There has been talk that JJ was not involved at all in the hiring of the new softball coach, and his only participation in that was announcing him at the press conference. So, I'm not sure how much credit he will or should get for that hire. 

Funny. He always gets no credit for the good hires and sole blame for the not so good ones. What a strange organization that must be to exist in this extremely crazy vacuum void of reality ?

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

I don't believe this just like I don't believe JJ had no influence in the hiring of Gus like some people like to claim.

wde

Archived