Sign in to follow this  
DKW 86

Schlabach: Pearl, Jacobs can't survive scandal

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

Even if you forget the scandals, look at the state of AU athletics on the field or court or whatever.  Lets look at the "main" sports the majority of fans follow. (No offense meant towards, equestrian or swimming or golf).  Football is average and under achieving, basketball is still in the midst of an NCAA tourney drought since what 2003?  Not to mention its been a mess most of JJ's tenure.  Baseball might be bouncing back who knows but again for the great majority of JJ's tenure its been a wreck. Women's basketball has mostly under achieved and the one nationally competitive sport we had in softball has also been rocked by scandal.   If I did my job that poorly I would have been fired years ago. 

non taken

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




According to the NCAA, the HC is responsible for the conduct of his assistants wether he knew about it or not.  When Person arranged a payment to a player he was toast and so was the Bruce.  Taking money himself to steer them to an agent was bad enough but when he arranged payments to players that took it to a whole new level.  Maybe this whole thing was so widespread they end up cutting coaches some slack but it is doubtful.  They are going to want to make examples of them to deter this type of behavior in the future.  That's what the NCAA does.  Just my opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

According to the NCAA, the HC is responsible for the conduct of his assistants wether he knew about it or not.  When Person arranged a payment to a player he was toast and so was the Bruce.  Taking money himself to steer them to an agent was bad enough but when he arranged payments to players that took it to a whole new level.  Maybe this whole thing was so widespread they end up cutting coaches some slack but it is doubtful.  They are going to want to make examples of them to deter this type of behavior in the future.  That's what the NCAA does.  Just my opinion.  

Good luck with that. The FBI themselves made it very clear the other coaches and the universities were victims in this, or simply put NOT INVOLVED. If the NCAA tries to pin anything on anyone the FBI says was clean, the wrongful termination lawsuits and lawsuits for lost money etc will close the doors of the NCAA. There is NO WAY without proof of the other coaches involvement at this point that the NCAA can do anything to Bruce or any other coach in his situation lest they just decide to go down in flames. If you want to prove a wrongful termination case along with lost revenue, slander, mental anguish, and the list can likely go on and on, all you have to do is point to the FBI file. It's official word from the FBI about the case. There will be ZERO disputing that in court. The NCAA should be the ones worried right now, not Bruce. The rate at which this seems to be happening there is likely no possible way they aren't at least aware, if not involved. 

Edited by FoundationEagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Good luck with that. The FBI themselves made it very clear the other coaches and the universities were victims in this, or simply put NOT INVOLVED. If the NCAA tries to pin anything on anyone the FBI says was clean, the wrongful termination lawsuits and lawsuits for lost money etc will close the doors of the NCAA. There is NO WAY without proof of the other coaches involvement at this point that the NCAA can do anything to Bruce or any other coach in his situation lest they just decide to go down in flames. If you want to prove a wrongful termination case along with lost revenue, slander, mental anguish, and the list can likely go on and on, all you have to do is point to the FBI file. It's official word from the FBI about the case. There will be ZERO disputing that in court. The NCAA should be the ones worried right now, not Bruce. The rate at which this seems to be happening there is likely no possible way they aren't at least aware, if not involved. 

I think you will find that the FBI and NCAA have different standards in deciding culpability.  It might depend on what AU wants to do and how narrowly it wants to interpret the "for cause" articles in BP's contract.  It is always easier if you can show direct involvement but I am betting it is not necessary if you charge a person with failure to exercise reasonable control over subordinates.

Besides, the FBI file is one guy's interpretation of the facts.....and subject to challenge.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schlabach hates Auburn and has for years. I wouldn't pay any attention to anything he writes.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't read the article. But as of right now I think Pearl can survive this. If more comes out then who knows but as of right now it doesn't appear AU basketball benefitted in anyway by what person did. And I think that will go a long way in helping mediate penalties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually feel a little better about how the NCAA may handle this after bama's man resigned upon initiation of internal investigation. It was only a few short years ago that he was working for the NCAA. As one poster said earlier, it wouldn't surprise me if this doesn't eventually wind up with someone inside the NCAA office being involved.

Also, so many teams are already implicated with more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did shlabach write anything of substance or simply regurgitate stuff.  I don’t know why anyone, particularly auburn people, would read this schmucks drivel.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Good luck with that. The FBI themselves made it very clear the other coaches and the universities were victims in this, or simply put NOT INVOLVED. If the NCAA tries to pin anything on anyone the FBI says was clean, the wrongful termination lawsuits and lawsuits for lost money etc will close the doors of the NCAA. There is NO WAY without proof of the other coaches involvement at this point that the NCAA can do anything to Bruce or any other coach in his situation lest they just decide to go down in flames. If you want to prove a wrongful termination case along with lost revenue, slander, mental anguish, and the list can likely go on and on, all you have to do is point to the FBI file. It's official word from the FBI about the case. There will be ZERO disputing that in court. The NCAA should be the ones worried right now, not Bruce. The rate at which this seems to be happening there is likely no possible way they aren't at least aware, if not involved. 

read and re-read this mans post.   The NCAA is the one that should be worrying the most about all of this.   If the NZAA's charge BP with anything, all he has to do is sue and use the FBI evidence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be mentioned though that NCAA doesn't fire coaches and ADs, collage presidents do. So I doubt that with the FBI's clearance JJ and Pearl get fired (JJ has other fires to put out though) even with potential sanctions. But I can see if the sanctions are THAT bad... Pearl could explore better options, even though he's on record having said he wants to end his career at Auburn. JMHO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

It should be mentioned though that NCAA doesn't fire coaches and ADs, collage presidents do. So I doubt that with the FBI's clearance JJ and Pearl get fired (JJ has other fires to put out though) even with potential sanctions. But I can see if the sanctions are THAT bad... Pearl could explore better options, even though he's on record having said he wants to end his career at Auburn. JMHO

If he gets fired for this his career may very well have ended at AU...I wish I was being snarky. I think that's the reality, with the show cause and now this I don't think anyone outside of of a DII school even thinks about hiring him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Pearl ain't going anywhere.   Why should he?.    Unless something else comes up, the man is safe, he did nothing wrong, or at least that appears to be the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AURandy56 said:

I kinda' knew this was in the works earlier in the week, monday I think it was, or at least a reputable guy from 247 said it going down.   I still have to see the stub from his unemployment check to believe it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I kinda' knew this was in the works earlier in the week, monday I think it was, or at least a reputable guy from 247 said it going down.   I still have to see the stub from his unemployment check to believe it

As soon as this broke I voiced that JJ would likely be the fall guy here. Somebody else has to take the fall to show we care. The PTB aren't firing Bruce unless they have to so.....

Also JJ make the most sense in this case. I still feel he gets the shaft from the fan base and has become the scapegoat for every single time someone doesn't like something with athletics, but with a large portion of the fan base having blamed him already for many things he didn't do and wanting him gone, this was the perfect opportunity for the PTB to try and appease the fan base. 

Edited by FoundationEagle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

opportunity for the PTB to try and appease the fan base. 

this is one fan that will appeased, and appeased and appeased the minute he is unemployed:bananadance:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

As soon as this broke I voiced that JJ would likely be the fall guy here. Somebody else has to take the fall to show we care. The PTB aren't firing Bruce unless they have to so.....

Also JJ make the most sense in this case. I still feel he gets the shaft from the fan base and has become the scapegoat for every single time someone doesn't like something with athletics, but with a large portion of the fan base having blamed him already for many things he didn't do and wanting him gone, this was the perfect opportunity for the PTB to try and appease the fan base. 

No disrespect FE but Auburn is not using JJ as the fall guy we're way pass having a fall guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

As soon as this broke I voiced that JJ would likely be the fall guy here. Somebody else has to take the fall to show we care. The PTB aren't firing Bruce unless they have to so.....

Also JJ make the most sense in this case. I still feel he gets the shaft from the fan base and has become the scapegoat for every single time someone doesn't like something with athletics, but with a large portion of the fan base having blamed him already for many things he didn't do and wanting him gone, this was the perfect opportunity for the PTB to try and appease the fan base. 

 

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

No disrespect FE but Auburn is not using JJ as the fall guy we're way pass having a fall guy.

Chuck Person........Corky Frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

No disrespect FE but Auburn is not using JJ as the fall guy we're way pass having a fall guy.

Ok, so explain to me how if Bruce is free and clear according to the FBI that any of this can fall on JJ?  Is he supposed to have some super power to know things about assistant coaches that the head coach himself doesn't even know of?  

We all know it was the PTB that pushed the hiring of Person. They are the ones responsible IYAM. However they won't let themselves take any shrapnel, they will use a "fall guy" to shield them. JJ will be that guy.  How is that not the case?

On top of that, all these things everyone keeps blaming JJ for... yall want him fired because of football (there was a search committee put together by the PTB that made that choice...are they on the hook as well?...oh and 1 NC and another appearance...best in what...50 years?), baseball (we have never been good there but are improving), basketball (we stand to be the best we've ever had assuming Bruce stays clean through this mess) softball (recently had the best season EVER, another assistant made a terrible choice, was immediately let go and then after the HC walked at a terrible time a phenomenal hire was made (but fire JJ! because.....) ) swimming (Marsh left for basically a dream job and is actually considering returning to AU to coach his daughter so regardless of what folks say didn't leave because of JJ, oh and we are still good at swimming), many other small programs having some of the best success they've ever had..... I see your point 🤔

But then again, there was that ticket thing.... and we lost to UGA and bama a couple years in a row in football so far hes arse amirite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Ok, so explain to me how if Bruce is free and clear according to the FBI that any of this can fall on JJ?  Is he supposed to have some super power to know things about assistant coaches that the head coach himself doesn't even know of?  

We all know it was the PTB that pushed the hiring of Person. They are the ones responsible IYAM. However they won't let themselves take any shrapnel, they will use a "fall guy" to shield them. JJ will be that guy.  How is that not the case?

On top of that, all these things everyone keeps blaming JJ for... yall want him fired because of football (there was a search committee put together by the PTB that made that choice...are they on the hook as well?...oh and 1 NC and another appearance...best in what...50 years?), baseball (we have never been good there but are improving), basketball (we stand to be the best we've ever had assuming Bruce stays clean through this mess) softball (recently had the best season EVER, another assistant made a terrible choice, was immediately let go and then after the HC walked at a terrible time a phenomenal hire was made (but fire JJ! because.....) ) swimming (Marsh left for basically a dream job and is actually considering returning to AU to coach his daughter so regardless of what folks say didn't leave because of JJ, oh and we are still good at swimming), many other small programs having some of the best success they've ever had..... I see your point 🤔

But then again, there was that ticket thing.... and we lost to UGA and bama a couple years in a row in football so far hes arse amirite?

This isn't true. First off, JJ was a big reason Marsh left Auburn. Secondly, Marsh just accepted the job of HC at UCSD where he plans on expanding his Team Elite program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Ok, so explain to me how if Bruce is free and clear according to the FBI that any of this can fall on JJ?  Is he supposed to have some super power to know things about assistant coaches that the head coach himself doesn't even know of?  

We all know it was the PTB that pushed the hiring of Person. They are the ones responsible IYAM. However they won't let themselves take any shrapnel, they will use a "fall guy" to shield them. JJ will be that guy.  How is that not the case?

On top of that, all these things everyone keeps blaming JJ for... yall want him fired because of football (there was a search committee put together by the PTB that made that choice...are they on the hook as well?...oh and 1 NC and another appearance...best in what...50 years?), baseball (we have never been good there but are improving), basketball (we stand to be the best we've ever had assuming Bruce stays clean through this mess) softball (recently had the best season EVER, another assistant made a terrible choice, was immediately let go and then after the HC walked at a terrible time a phenomenal hire was made (but fire JJ! because.....) ) swimming (Marsh left for basically a dream job and is actually considering returning to AU to coach his daughter so regardless of what folks say didn't leave because of JJ, oh and we are still good at swimming), many other small programs having some of the best success they've ever had..... I see your point 🤔

But then again, there was that ticket thing.... and we lost to UGA and bama a couple years in a row in football so far hes arse amirite?

You are delusional when it comes to Jay Jacobs.  You have to be related to him in some form or fashion or are simply a good friend of his. Jay Jacobs is a good guy and I know he loves Auburn, but he was unqualified to be the AD before he was hired as AD and still is today.  

wde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this