Schlabach: Pearl, Jacobs can't survive scandal

DKW 86

29 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You are delusional when it comes to Jay Jacobs.  You have to be related to him in some form or fashion or are simply a good friend of his. Jay Jacobs is a good guy and I know he loves Auburn, but he was unqualified to be the AD before he was hired as AD and still is today.  

wde

Not related and have never even met him. Just sick and tired of people like you thinking it's ok to blame someone for every single thing they don't like while refusing to give any credit for the things you do like. Hypocrites really aggravate me. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Not related and have never even met him. Just sick and tired of people like you thinking it's ok to blame someone for every single thing they don't like while refusing to give any credit for the things you do like. Hypocrites really aggravate me. 

I give Jay Jacobs credit for hiring Clint Meyers and Bruce Pearl.  Sounds like the new softball coach is a good hire as well and possibly the baseball coach.  

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

I give Jay Jacobs credit for hiring Clint Meyers and Bruce Pearl.  Sounds like the new softball coach is a good hire as well and possibly the baseball coach.  

wde

So there is reason to not hate him as so many here do?  That's the last 4 major hires made and all are solid?  Why the outrage?

5 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

This isn't true. First off, JJ was a big reason Marsh left Auburn. Secondly, Marsh just accepted the job of HC at UCSD where he plans on expanding his Team Elite program.

Did not see that. As of earlier this year he had talked about possibly returning to Auburn to coach his daughter. The point remains he was considering this WITH JJ still around, so any disagreements they had were obviously minor (mostly facilities upgrades which aren't even solely up to JJ but those with the money so again the PTB have their shield/scapegoat in JJ). Any new AD we get will still only be a scapegoat/mouthpiece for those with money. That's how AU has been run for years and years and years. That's likely not changing any time soon

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

So there is reason to not hate him as so many here do?  That's the last 4 major hires made and all are solid?  Why the outrage?

LOL, the Meyers hire turned into an embarassment for AU.  Bruce Pearl has not put the team even in the NIT yet. The new softball coach has yet to coach a game and the jury is still out on the baseball coach after the disaster that was Galloway.  Jay Jacobs has fubared all of the so-called improvements to JHS unless you think the obnoxious big screen TV is something to crow about.  mod edit:  Unless you have a link of proof for this women's basketball stuff, stop mentioning it

wde

5 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Did not see that. As of earlier this year he had talked about possibly returning to Auburn to coach his daughter. The point remains he was considering this WITH JJ still around, so any disagreements they had were obviously minor (mostly facilities upgrades which aren't even solely up to JJ but those with the money so again the PTB have their shield/scapegoat in JJ). Any new AD we get will still only be a scapegoat/mouthpiece for those with money. That's how AU has been run for years and years and years. That's likely not changing any time soon

Jay Jacobs absolutely ran David Marsh off and their disagreements were hardly minor.

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL, the Meyers hire turned into an embarassment for AU.  Bruce Pearl has not put the team even in the NIT yet. The new softball coach has yet to coach a game and the jury is still out on the baseball coach after the disaster that was Galloway.  Jay Jacobs has fubared all of the so-called improvements to JHS unless you think the obnoxious big screen TV is something to crow about. 

wde

Meyers made the team the best it had ever been. His son was the embarrassment, not Clint. That is in no way on JJ. If you can't see where the bball has been headed you are either not paying attention or intentionally ignorant.  The new softball coach has an awesome pedigree. That was by far and away way above anyone's expectations under the circumstances so i think what you mean there is hell of a job. I agree on the Jumbotron. He lacks in vision for the stadium. Hardly reason for the hatred.  

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Jay Jacobs absolutely ran David Marsh off and their disagreements were hardly minor.

wde

Ok...then read this whole article. Marsh doesn't seem to agree

https://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Legendary-swimming-coach-David-Marsh-misses-Auburn-Tigers-46948534 

6 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

This isn't true. First off, JJ was a big reason Marsh left Auburn. Secondly, Marsh just accepted the job of HC at UCSD where he plans on expanding his Team Elite program.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I have seen this being repeated here for YEARS and YEARS and not one bit of credible evidence anywhere to support it.   Please provide a link from a credible source to prove it.  Until then, its just opinion and nothing more.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

I have seen this being repeated here for YEARS and YEARS and not one bit of credible evidence anywhere to support it.   Please provide a link from a credible source to prove it.  Until then, its just opinion and nothing more.

No link but do you know who Chris Davis is?  He is the co-founder of SwimAtlanta and coached former Olympic AU swimmer Eric Shanteau and Olympic Swimmer Amanda Weir.  He is very connected with the swim community nationally and internationally.  He and David Marsh are friends.  Back in the day (2002-2008), my oldest daughter swam for him at SwimAtlanta and I got to know him some and we would talk AU swimming.  There was no love lost between Jay Jacobs and David Marsh and it became untenable for Marsh.  Heck, Marsh almost left in 2005 (I think it was 2005) to coach Stanford.

wde

20 hours ago, WarTiger said:

No link either, but my sources are directly involved with the swimming program. I could tell you a lot more too.

22 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

I would be thrilled to see Marsh return to Auburn! I have no doubt our swimming program would return to the top ranks within a couple seasons. The guy can flat out coach and surrounds himself with the right assistants. 

I'm not sure if he sees this job at UCSD being a long term plan, but if he were open to returning to Auburn, I know he would be a lot more open to the idea if JJ weren't the athletic director. I've mentioned the idea of having Marsh be a part of the search for a new AD because I know he truly cares about Auburn's athletic well-being.

1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I would be thrilled to see Marsh return to Auburn! I have no doubt our swimming program would return to the top ranks within a couple seasons. The guy can flat out coach and surrounds himself with the right assistants. 

I'm not sure if he sees this job at UCSD being a long term plan, but if he were open to returning to Auburn, I know he would be a lot more open to the idea if JJ weren't the athletic director. I've mentioned the idea of having Marsh be a part of the search for a new AD because I know he truly cares about Auburn's athletic well-being.

Pretty sure he sees it long term as he is planning to start the same program he runs now in NC in Cal. 

23 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Pretty sure he sees it long term as he is planning to start the same program he runs now in NC in Cal. 

You know he got pushed out at Charlotte don't you ?  Apparently hard to manage.....

21 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

That part of Cali is also a hotbed recruiting ground for swimmers, and I believe their program is set to go Division 1 in the upcoming year (all reasons I believe he'll be there awhile).

But also...The Team Elite program can kind of run itself remotely, so he doesn't necessarily need to be in La Jolla to oversee it. When I saw he accepted the job, I was thinking it could be a means to quietly reacquaint himself with being a college coach, and later, he could move on to a bigger program. Some thought he might have considered becoming the Arizona coach after DeMont retired.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You know he got pushed out at Charlotte don't you ?  Apparently hard to manage.....

Swim MAC is separate from Team Elite. He wasn't the best CEO of Swim MAC, that's no secret, but his Team Elite program has been pretty successful at training potential Olympians. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Word is that he was focusing too much time on his Team Elite program that he wants to start in Cali. and not enough on Swim MAC. I don't know for sure that is just the word on the streets

Could have been but it was a gradual thing....stuff in the Charlotte paper off and on for a while about problems with his bosses..not seeing things eye to eye.. and finally the PTB moved him out. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article158386149.html

No doubt he's an excellent coach and apparently strong willed too when he wants something his way. ....

5 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

No link either, but my sources are directly involved with the swimming program. I could tell you a lot more too.

Not interested in 3rd hand information.  

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Not interested in 3rd hand information.  

Alright whatever, I don’t care. I’m not naming people who I’ve talked to, I’m just sharing what I know.

I'll be very surprised if 1 or both hangs on to their jobs. More so Jay Jacobs because he's having to deal with the women's softball scandal.

Jacobs did have some influence when Malzahn was hired. Anyone who believes he didn't, then it's time that you take off your orange and blue glasses.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, auburn4ever said:

I'll be very surprised if 1 or both hangs on to their jobs. More so Jay Jacobs because he's having to deal with the women's softball scandal.

The "scandal" that is only a "scandal" because Auburn people want it to be at this point.  

• 1 month later...

Archived