Auburn Arena, Person

TigerOne

I'm okay with leaving his #45 retired, but I'd like to see any sign of him removed from the Arena. This is mostly due to his crime victimizing our school. If he did something that had no ramifications for Auburn University, I'd say leave them, but not this.

I'm cool with taking down 45 from the rafters

He forfeited that right when he embarrassed the school in this manner IMO

Don't shoot the questioner here, but I am curious about something.  If CP had done this at a different university then would you all feel the same way?  Be objective.  Are people hurt by what he did because he played for AU or because he was coaching there?  The remembrance of him in the rafters & his number being retired are from his playing achievements, not his coaching achievements.

None of us know how it is to walk a mile in his shoes.  

Just food for thought before you condemn a man.

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

Don't shoot the questioner here, but I am curious about something.  If CP had done this at a different university then would you all feel the same way?  Be objective.  Are people hurt by what he did because he played for AU or because he was coaching there?  The remembrance of him in the rafters & his number being retired are from his playing achievements, not his coaching achievements.

Sorry, I didn't realize my reply was going to be so long...TLDR, I get it...

If he did this for the....Illinois Illini or something like that I'd feel embarrassed bc he was an AU guy. I'd shake my head in disbelief that he did something like this because it's despicable how he was preying on the kids for his own monetary gain -- it wasn't even to win! And even if it happened at Illinois he was on the Mount Rushmore of AU basketball which would be embarrassing for AU by association on some level.

But the fact that he did it to his own school, and ours, with the timing of it coming out right as we are on the cusp of building something potentially special (at least in AU terms), all while knowing damn well we have a HC, which was the greatest bball hire in the history of the program, that can potentially be fired over this just from being associated with him. He totally screwed AU so I'm pissed.

If it happened at another school I'd bet we would be cringing collectively because he is 1 of basically 2 notable faces of AU basketball. AU fast tracked his degree, got him in line to take a HC position someday (somewhere if not AU -- he wasn't going to get a HC job in the NBA) and he goes and pulls this BS. 

So yes, in part I am more mad that this happened to our school. I'd probably not be so much in favor for pulling his jersey down if it happened at Illinois, but he embarrassed the university that put his jersey in the rafters for all to see. In retaliation I'd embarrass him back by taking down #45 and giving it to a walk-on in a few years lol. That may be going too hard, but I don't think his jersey should be retired I mean he defrauded the very school in which his jersey is retired. That is a show of respect for what he did for the school. And he cancelled that out with this garbage IMO.

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If he did this for the....Illinois Illini or something like that I'd feel embarrassed bc he was an AU guy. I'd shake my head in disbelief that he did something like this because it's despicable how he was preying on the kids for his own monetary gain -- it wasn't even to win! And even if it happened at Illinois he was on the Mount Rushmore of AU basketball which would be embarrassing for AU by association on some level.

But the fact that he did it to his own school, and ours, with the timing of it coming out right as we are on the cusp of building something potentially special (at least in AU terms), all while knowing damn well we have a HC, which was the greatest bball hire in the history of the program, that can potentially be fired over this just from being associated with him. He totally screwed AU so I'm pissed.

If it happened at another school I'd bet we would be cringing collectively because he is 1 of basically 2 notable faces of AU basketball. AU fast tracked his degree, got him in line to take a HC position someday (somewhere if not AU -- he wasn't going to get a HC job in the NBA) and he goes and pulls this BS. 

So yes, in part I am more mad that this happened to our school. I'd probably not be so much in favor for pulling his jersey down if it happened at Illinois, but he embarrassed the university that put his jersey in the rafters for all to see. In retaliation I'd embarrass him back by taking down #45 and giving it to a walk-on in a few years lol. That may be going too hard, but I don't think his jersey should be retired I mean he defrauded the very school in which his jersey is retired. That is a show of respect for what he did for the school. And he cancelled that out with this garbage IMO.

Thanks Tiger.

Well thought out.  Kind of helps clear it up for me.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

That is cool.  I was just curious if people were more offended because he was at AU and we might have something special this year or if it was just because of he was an AU alum who had great potential.

I think I am in the minority here, but we retire jerseys and remember the players that donned them for their playing achievements. Certainly Charles Barkley has not always been an incredible example of Auburn, and even Cam has hit a bit of a nerve with some fans lately.

I am actually of the opinion both should be kept. He is an important part of history for the success of Auburn Basketball, and although this is one of the worst things a retired numbered player could do against a school, there was still a time he brought Auburn Basketball fans joy. Maybe I'm out in left field, and don't get me wrong I certainly do not trust/like the guy anymore. What he did against us is just flat out wrong. But I do think Auburn Arena should be a place to celebrate on-the-court achievements. I certainly would not want his name to be anywhere other than that for helping Auburn University, but just remember that at one time, he was a huge success and bright spot for Auburn.

5 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I think I am in the minority here, but we retire jerseys and remember the players that donned them for their playing achievements. Certainly Charles Barkley has not always been an incredible example of Auburn, and even Cam has hit a bit of a nerve with some fans lately.

I am actually of the opinion both should be kept. He is an important part of history for the success of Auburn Basketball, and although this is one of the worst things a retired numbered player could do against a school, there was still a time he brought Auburn Basketball fans joy. Maybe I'm out in left field, and don't get me wrong I certainly do not trust/like the guy anymore. What he did against us is just flat out wrong. But I do think Auburn Arena should be a place to celebrate on-the-court achievements. I certainly would not want his name to be anywhere other than that for helping Auburn University, but just remember that at one time, he was a huge success and bright spot for Auburn.

I respectfully disagree. Reggie Bush has been scrubbed from any and all record keeping at USC and Person's transgressions, being federal crimes, deserve the same treatment IMO.

I could be still be blinded by emotion, I admit that but as I see it using his employee status at AU as a means to commit federally felonious acts is much worse than accepting some cash and a house a la USC/Reggie.

As far as him being a bright spot he has brought another bright light to the AU program but the level of negativity he has brought right now completely outweighs the positives he had brought to AU at one time IMO

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I respectfully disagree. Reggie Bush has been scrubbed from any and all record keeping at USC and Person's transgressions, being federal crimes, deserve the same treatment IMO.

I could be still be blinded by emotion, I admit that but as I see it using his employee status at AU as a means to commit federally felonious acts is much worse than accepting some cash and a house a la USC/Reggie.

You make a good point 

4 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Yes. Any school. He backstabbed A.U. I'm sorry that he has had it so rough. Twenty three million just doesn't last like it used to. And since he hasn't been able to find gainfull employment since leaving the NBA, he has had to get by on social security. And no one gave him any respect. Such a pitiful case. I can see why he would sell out everyone who ever trusted him. No problem. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I agree with the first part. I think you are in the minority, lol. I say strike him from the record.

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I agree with the first part. I think you are in the minority, lol. I say strike him from the record.

Maybe I'm not in the minority because I really do dislike him now. And I do see why people want it taken down. Not gonna burn at the stake with him... uh....yeah....uh ... stone the witch! *disappears into crowd*

I think you can still honor his career at AU as a player, but in a much smaller way and out of the sight of ALL to see. But in the Arena for all the fans to see..it has to be removed. He dishonored the team, his school, and ofc himself as a representative of our school.

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

What he did against us is just flat out wrong. But I do think Auburn Arena should be a place to celebrate on-the-court achievements.

I have been debating this for 2 days and I have not reached a decision.   I just don't know,but I'm still numb from all of this

33 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Maybe there is a happy medium in the future ... but in the near future, he needs the be scrubbed from all the really visible spots.  We can reconsider after some time has passed

Okay, maybe hang it in the restroom for now ;)

Whew....

I have flipped on this issue a couple of times.  Dang it.

B/C he really drove a stake into the heart of our recruiting process, jeopardized our most notable HC and embarrassed our school while being ALL IN for Chuck,   Take him down from the arena, but leave his records where ever those are documented.   he really did nothing to personify that he was an Auburn man.

If you are going to be role model, you don't get a pass on something like this.

I was at the arena Sunday and it is still up. I asked a couple of students how long they would keep his jersey hanging up and they said "knowing Auburn probably forever". They also really had no clue who CP was to Auburn other than the assistant coach.

Archived