Barkley says everyone has 'dirty hands' in college basketball.

augolf1716

Surprised he waited this long since Person mentioned his name. Unless Round Mound has something positive to say

about Auburn... shut up. He does like Coach Pearl.

55 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

Been expecting him to chime in on it.

Me too but was hoping he wouldn't. Charles is the prime example of the saying that some things are better left unsaid. 

7 hours ago, gravejd said:

It's true and he speaks the truth. Not everyone likes to hear it though

Absolutely.  Some light shed in the darkness is good in my opinion.  

Hopefully, the NCAA rules will be updated to modern times.  As Sir Charles said, they were written before companies and schools were making $M and $B on these sports.  What is wrong with having an agent to advise a college student?   Amateur sports doesn't mean what it used to mean.   A kid can sign a $5M contract to play baseball, and still play college football, but you can't give a kid a free T-shirt?   The problem now is those that know how to cheat (ie REC, UK) are successful and the ones that try to compete (OM) get burned because they don't know how to cover their tracks well enough not to get caught.

I don't see how anyone from a school like Auburn could be in favor of paying players or allowing top players to $$$ benefit from their likeness, or autographs or whatever....as has been suggested.   There are about 2500-3000 basketball players in Div I at any given time I guess ...and of those players, maybe 30-50 have any real market value in terms who they are.  The others are just players taking advantage of the scholarship to pay for their college or for a chance to play a game they love against good competition.    If the NCAA were to make HS basketball players a "marketable product" Auburn and most other small market Div 1 schools might as well close their programs because there would be no way to compete against the existing basketball powers who would immediately coral about all of the top talent.

It should be noted that the greedy people causing all of the problems in the current scandal are not players.  What we have are greedy coaches under pressure to win or under pressure to bring in top recruits on behalf of HCs who don't want to know too much about how the kid was convinced to come to his school.

If we want to pay top HS players their market value, the NCAA and NBA need to get together and agree on rules that allow a player to sign with the NBA right out of HS.....or stay three years if they sign with a college.

Just too much money to be made. If you pay players there will be more money funneled in, NCAA will explode like the NFL. Leave it for the professionals in my opinion but paying athletes will not get rid of greed. Especially scum taking advantage of others or trying to gain a competitive advantage.

By the way, Rick Pitino's buyout at Louisville. - $44 million dollars. yep. $44 million dollars. 

obviously that doesn't include firing for just cause but still. that's insane. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2017 at 10:31 AM, LakeBum said:

Hopefully, the NCAA rules will be updated to modern times.  As Sir Charles said, they were written before companies and schools were making $M and $B on these sports.  What is wrong with having an agent to advise a college student?   Amateur sports doesn't mean what it used to mean.   A kid can sign a $5M contract to play baseball, and still play college football, but you can't give a kid a free T-shirt?   The problem now is those that know how to cheat (ie REC, UK) are successful and the ones that try to compete (OM) get burned because they don't know how to cover their tracks well enough not to get caught.

You may as well go ahead and add AU to the list with  REC & UK as  programs that know how to cheat.

Chuck Persons actively tutored the AU parents on how to get their $$, he even informed them that the whole scheme was against NCAA rules and warned them to be it down low.  He instructed them on how to cheat!  Chuck knew how it worked, because he was paid when he played at Auburn, he admitted it himself in an interview - he said he was paid while playing at Auburn.

58 minutes ago, keesler said:

You may as well go ahead and add AU to the list with  REC & UK as  programs that know how to cheat.

Chuck Persons actively tutored the AU parents on how to get their $$, he even informed them that the whole scheme was against NCAA rules and warned them to be it down low.  He instructed them on how to cheat!  Chuck knew how it worked, because he was paid when he played at Auburn, he admitted it himself in an interview - he said he was paid while playing at Auburn.

Due to the outdated amateurism rules it's become if ya ain't cheatin ya ain't tryin.

Too much money being tossed around for this NOT to happen IMO. Let players capitalize on what the market wants to give them and you'll see less under the table garbage. I know, I know. This is some mind-blowing, unique line of thinking here.

Archived