Null



Sign in to follow this  
Charhair

Replacing Person

Recommended Posts

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-looking-at-elevating-staff-member-to-assistant-status-108168806

AUBURN, Ala — Auburn coach Bruce Pearl isn't sure what the coaching staff will look like going forward. 

Assistant coach Chuck Person was arrested Tuesday morning on charges of bribery and corruption. A 32-page complaint filed by the U.S. Attorney’s office and FBI alleges Person accepted $91,500 in bribes over a 10-month period. The school suspended Person without pay on Tuesday.

 

Pearl wouldn't address whether the team is looking to hire a new assistant coach to replace Person, but the team is trying to determine what its options are for the regular season. 

Pearl's current staff includes his son Steven Pearl and Harris Adler as assistants with Chad Prewett as the program's director of basketball operations. Prewett came to Auburn from the high school ranks in June 2014. The former Lee-Scott Academy coached the boys team to the 2012 AISA State Championship. 

 

Do you think our best bet is in house I f we somehow come out with Person(/possibly player1/2) being our only losses? 

I know this is counting my chickens way too early but it's at least something *different* to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




26 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I think that "in-house" is our only option.   Hell, we don't know who's honest and who ain't, so its best to not take a chance on doing any more harm

Agreed. Guessing it would already be hard to attract anyone worth spending money on not to mention it would be hard to hire anyone with how deep this investigation looks. 

I'm not so "in the know" for non-Auburn basketball and we are currently running our own investigation so it's a mute point but I didn't know if there was some possibility hiding off in the shadows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go with a great shooting coach or a great defensive X&O coach. Either way, let Bruce do it on his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I would go with a great shooting coach or a great defensive X&O coach. Either way, let Bruce do it on his own.

Yep....but hope its some who can teach defense....seemed to be our biggest issue the past couple years. 

Also ....and unrelated to AU...but Louisville promoted a staff member to acting HC in place of Rick.....a bold step to right the ship huh?  :-\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As i recall, we've struggled on D and was under the impression CP was in charge of D.

Should we still have a program, maybe we can upgrade at D.

Silver lining?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I read Bruce realized D and Rebounding were our biggest issues and he has been dealing with that side of the house since after last season ended. I realized Italy tour was not against great competition but you could see the emphasis on both from the snippets we saw.  That said I would like a great D coach as an assistant. SC went a long way last year because of their D maybe we can emulate that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I trust Coach Pearl's ability to hire someone he knows will help get the program back on track to where we are able to compete and start winning where we are given serious consideration for the field of 64 yearly.

Edited by doc4aday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chad Prewett promoted as temporary assistant from Director Of Ops position. 

Phenominal coach and has all the makings to be a great on the court coach and recruiter at the college level. Defense is his specialty. He was my head coach in high school and killed us everyday in practice. Even better person and extremely hard worker. Well deserved even under the circumstances 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's about all Pearl could do, given the timing and the current situation Person left them in. 

Prewett looks likes he younger than some of the players..lol.

If he has any experience, which he does, and he has been on the court, learning the defense then he could bring that intensity and focus we need on the defensive side. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That's about all Pearl could do, given the timing and the current situation Person left them in. 

Prewett looks likes he younger than some of the players..lol.

If he has any experience, which he does, and he has been on the court, learning the defense then he could bring that intensity and focus we need on the defensive side. 

Agree.....a pretty good move and leaves the door open for a top coach after we see what damage CP has done to the program with the NCAA.   Plus the season is basically underway and not much chance of getting someone to leave an existing job to come to AU with the unknowns.   

As you note, if he brings intensity to the job and instills that in the players....he will earn his salary in my view.

 

PS...had to laugh at the job title...."interim assistant".....that's like being the Assistant to an Assistant VP ....but I'm betting he's a happy guy today...

Edited by AU64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I had hoped he would announce his resignation, and apologize for what he is putting this program and HIS school through.

But, i guess Auburn is doing it the PC way, by allowing the Auburn investigation provide the President/Board with their findings before firing him and/or a conviction of CP in federal court, which is going to take longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree.....a pretty good move and leaves the door open for a top coach after we see what damage CP has done to the program with the NCAA.   Plus the season is basically underway and not much chance of getting someone to leave an existing job to come to AU with the unknowns.   

As you note, if he brings intensity to the job and instills that in the players....he will earn his salary in my view.

 

PS...had to laugh at the job title...."interim assistant".....that's like being the Assistant to an Assistant VP ....but I'm betting he's a happy guy today...

haha. Good point 64. That title is goofy.

Wonder if that comes with a pay raise since he is going to be doing two jobs now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

haha. Good point 64. That title is goofy.

Wonder if that comes with a pay raise since he is going to be doing two jobs now?

You must not work in the real world.  People take on multiple jobs all the time due to others leaving and you never get a raise...

 

Just kidding btw...  Not about the real world but about the fact that he didn't get a raise.  College sports is definitely nothing like a real world job!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

You must not work in the real world.  People take on multiple jobs all the time due to others leaving and you never get a raise...

 

Just kidding btw...  Not about the real world but about the fact that he didn't get a raise.  College sports is definitely nothing like a real world job!

Ain't it the truth....see guys getting a 30% raise because the team has a good season.  

Betting you will never see a year when the AD announces a 3.2% raise for all of his coaches and immediate staff ....and by they way there will be a 10% reduction in head count across the board.   I mean that would be real world   :)

Edited by AU64
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Ain't it the truth....see guys getting a 30% raise because the team has a good season.  

Betting you will never see a year when the AD announces a 3.2% raise for all of his coaches and immediate staff ....and by they way there will be a 10% reduction in head count across the board.   I mean that would be real world   :)

Or even better....  We are giving CGM a 4% raise, but because we are giving him 4% we can only give CBP 2%.  Forget the fact that the 2% of CGM is much bigger than the 2% of CBP.  It is all about % points.  Such BS!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this