FINAL: Auburn 49 Mississippi State 10

RunInRed

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, hutchids said:

Use Malik in the wildcat and more sweeps with Stove (he's red hot) Got to get reps off Johnson.

If Martin is healthy, I am good with he, Barrett and Miller getting more reps.  Martin and Barrett seem to be a lot alike in style and speed.  Miller looks like Barber and Artis-Payne style of runner.  Pettway is not right.  I don't know if it is the injury or he is out of shape or what but he is not even a shadow of the KP we saw last year. 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The only thing I did not like from this game was muhhhhh boy NCM did not catch a pass and I do not think he was even targeted. :[ WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

I had to listen to the first half on the radio and either Rod or Stan said he was being looked at for an injury. He was on the bike on the sidelines. I never heard anything else afterwards. 

When he signed with Auburn both Malzahn and Lindsey talked about what a weapon Canella would be. How many passes has he caught? Hell, how many times has he even been targeted? I don't see top tier tight ends  salivating to sign with Auburn. 

10 hours ago, alexava said:

We had two or three posters here wishing Gus fired and Mullen hired two weeks ago. Had several talking up the hire of Canada at LSU. Where y'all at?

I'm guilty of half of that. Two weeks ago Mullen did look to have things on track but now not so much. I said then that I would be okay with Mullen as a coach if Gus was let go. The problem for me is that I don't think Gus is through being Gus. It's like OC Anonymous for him...one game at a time and he might hit a rough patch and start interfering again. I like Gus and want him to succeed. I have always said that. 

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

When he signed with Auburn both Malzahn and Lindsey talked about what a weapon Canella would be. How many passes has he caught? Hell, how many times has he even been targeted? I don't see top tier tight ends  salivating to sign with Auburn. 

I believe he has dropped more passes than he has caught.  

1 minute ago, Tigerfinz said:

This. 

He had one last week (I think?) where he wasn't expecting it or it just went through his hands. He went to the sideline and looked super confused. 

OR we are just saving him for Ole Miss! 

Just now, Tigerfinz said:

I remember maybe 2 drops but considering he hasn't been targeted very much I guess that's a high number.  I almost feel like they are saving him for a specific game but then I think I am overestimating Gus's game planning ability.  I do remember waaaay back in 94 when baby Bowden went to Florida Field and suddenly utilized the TE when we really hadn't all year and it confused UF's defense.  I believe it was Andy Fuller who had a huge day.  So maybe we will use Canella when someone least expects it? 

That was a thing of beauty. 

This team is fun to watch. Solid D and the O is now doing what we expected from the start.

Jarrett Stidham may be the best pure passer I have ever seen at Auburn.

Our D is really really good.

The OL looked the best they have all season long.

Still need to improve for UGA/bama, but our guys have shown that they are improving every week. 

My only gripe about the game.......what the heck was ESPN doing switching the game over to ESPN NEWS? That was about a crock of serious crap.

13 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I remember maybe 2 drops but considering he hasn't been targeted very much I guess that's a high number.  I almost feel like they are saving him for a specific game but then I think I am overestimating Gus's game planning ability.  I do remember waaaay back in 94 when baby Bowden went to Florida Field and suddenly utilized the TE when we really hadn't all year and it confused UF's defense.  I believe it was Andy Fuller who had a huge day.  So maybe we will use Canella when someone least expects it? 

It was Andy Fuller.  My sophomore year at AU...and I hope you are correct that we are saving him for something...looks like a matchup nightmare for linebackers and safeties.

17 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Not official stats but I believe he has been targeted 5 times.  He has 2 catches for 24 yards, 2 drops (or what I would consider a catchable ball) and 1 uncatchable.

21 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

This. 

He had one last week (I think?) where he wasn't expecting it or it just went through his hands. He went to the sideline and looked super confused. 

OR we are just saving him for Ole Miss! 

In the Mizzu game it looked like he was making an excuse for not catching it. a couple misses followed by excuses means less PT and no looks from the QB.  

Despite the great win against MSU, I'm still concerned that there still seems to be a lack of push in the running game. I love seeing Stidham sling it down the field but we still need a solid running game to be a truly balanced team.

11 minutes ago, selias said:

Despite the great win against MSU, I'm still concerned that there still seems to be a lack of push in the running game. I love seeing Stidham sling it down the field but we still need a solid running game to be a truly balanced team.

I get what you're saying, but we still got 247 yards rushing and 266 yards passing. That's pretty balanced. Then again, MW late TD run might skew that a little bit. I think Malik Miller, DB, and KM all have a chance to be a big factor in this offense. 

15 minutes ago, selias said:

I think the push was there sometimes on many plays but both of our starting RBs are not 100%. I would start playing Miller in front of KP if he is hurt. They are the same type of back. 

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I get what you're saying, but we still got 247 yards rushing and 266 yards passing. That's pretty balanced. Then again, MW late TD run might skew that a little bit. I think Malik Miller, DB, and KM all have a chance to be a big factor in this offense. 

The 66yd TD run in garbage time really skewed the rushing stats. I'm sure someone will get their panties in a bunch about me being picky but...we need balance. Despite all that, I was beyond thrilled to see Stidham throw it from our own end zone. Talk about breaking a tendency.

19 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think the push was there sometimes on many plays but both of our starting RBs are not 100%. I would start playing Miller in front of KP if he is hurt. They are the same type of back. 

That was wildly apparent when KJ broke loose and looked slow in the open field.

12 hours ago, alexava said:

We had two or three posters here wishing Gus fired and Mullen hired two weeks ago. Had several talking up the hire of Canada at LSU. Where y'all at?

Dan Mullen is a good coach. Switch CGM to Mississippi State and him to AU and you would see the same results. UGA and AU out talent MSU across the board. Both are legit top 15 opponents.

11 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

If we can’t beat Danny freaking Etling in Baton Rouge but Troy can then there’s an issue.

I imagine the more athletic freshman will be playing behind center by the time we head to BR.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I imagine the more athletic freshman will be playing behind center by the time we head to BR.

The LSU we will see in Red Stick will not be the one we saw against MSU and Troy. They will be up for that game and it will be the usual smashfest.

12 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

People literally said that we’d go 5-1 into LSU and no one would be calling for Gus’ head and everyone would be happy.

Exactly. CGM will be judged on three of the following games: LSU, UGA and BAMA.. 

Just now, DAG said:

Dan Mullen is a good coach. Switch CGM to Mississippi State and him to AU and you would see the same results. UGA and AU out talent MSU across the board. Both are legit top 15 opponents.

My point is NOBODY wants Mullen now. My earlier point was CHILL AND LET THIS PLAY OUT. There are a s*** ton of LSU fans hungover this minute wishing they still had the hat. UTK fans reminiscing Fulmer...The only coach who consistently produces in the country is saban. Dabo is next but still behind saban. We'll get neither one here. So we gotta dance with the one we brung. He ain't terrible all the time. 

Can we just enjoy this for 24 hours and then start with what still needs to be fixed?? I was at the game last night and found myself saying if Roberts would have just turned around on a Fitzgerald throw, he would have intercepted a ball easily. My brother just gave me the “really?” Look. I saw his point?

Will Pettway be ready by the time we hit the road to BR? I'm confident that Jarrett and the other RBs can carry the offense next week just fine, but we obviously need him healthy.

Archived