FINAL: Auburn 49 Mississippi State 10

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Can we just enjoy this for 24 hours and then start with what still needs to be fixed??

They're not mutually exclusive. I'm quite happy with a conference win but I can't ignore our problems.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, alexava said:

My point is NOBODY wants Mullen now. My earlier point was CHILL AND LET THIS PLAY OUT. There are a s*** ton of LSU fans hungover this minute wishing they still had the hat. UTK fans reminiscing Fulmer...The only coach who consistently produces in the country is saban. Dabo is next but still behind saban. We'll get neither one here. So we gotta dance with the one we brung. He ain't terrible all the time. 

If Mullen was available, I would gladly accept him. Most rational people would, understanding he is doing the best he has with LESS. Unlike, LSU and Tennessee. Again, I want CGM to be successful for stability purposes, but let's not forget quite a few of us said we will be 5-1 heading into LSU and people would go back to being short-sighted. UGA, LSU, and Bama. Those are the premier games he will be judged on. 

1 minute ago, selias said:

The 66yd TD run in garbage time really skewed the rushing stats. I'm sure someone will get their panties in a bunch about me being picky but...we need balance. Despite all that, I was beyond thrilled to see Stidham throw it from our own end zone. Talk about breaking a tendency.

I have criticized Gus on many occasion for his in game decision making.  Our first drive in the second half was an opportunity to see if Gus/Chip was any different than Gus/Rhett.  To my amazement, we threw down field for a completion and go on to put together a 98 yard scoring drive.  I don't think I've seen that since NM against T A&M in 2013.  I know it has a lot to do with Gus' confidence in his QB, but you're right, it is breaking the tendency he has shown over the last couple of years.  Great to see Gus have confidence in his QB and I'm expecting to see that confidence grow and see the OC Gus more.  I should really try to temper my expectations.

1 minute ago, selias said:

That was wildly apparent when KP broke loose and looked slow in the open field.

This is another example of Gus not having any situational awareness during the game.  KJ breaks one for 59 yards, as soon as he is in the clear, he looks around to see if he is being pursued.  He knows if someone is giving chase he is going to be caught because he doesn't want to pull something.  Great run and we have a 1st and goal inside the 10.  Gus is now on autopilot, here come the dive play with a RB that just ran 59 yards and is trying to save himself from injury.  Everybody at home, in the stadium, on the MSU sideline, the MSU defense and all the people in China, knew what was coming next.

Now, instead of 1st and goal, we are second and goal at the very same spot.  A wasted play inside the 10 that caused a decision to be made and a time out to ponder going for the TD.  Gus needs to break tendencies here also, it can't be automatic.

Later on, we are in a 3rd and 1 situation and Gus goes with the WC with KJ.  It's stuffed, but a healthy KJ has shown he can power thru for a yard or two with the drive in his legs that isn't there when he's nursing an injury.  Gus needs more situational awareness during his ingame decision making.

These are small things, but can be big things if we are playing against a formidable opponent like say UGA.  

Just now, DAG said:

If Mullen was available, I would gladly accept him. Most rational people would understand he is doing the best he has with LESS. Unlike, LSU and Tennessee. Again, I want CGM to be successful for stability purposes, but let's not forget quite a few of us said we will be 5-1 heading into LSU and people would go back to being short-sighted. UGA, LSU and Bama. Those are the premier games he will be judge on. 

Completely agree with all of this.  Here is the thing that I can't wrap my head around.  Let's say we steamroll through Ole Miss, LSU, Arky and A&M...So 7-1 heading into UGA.  Then we lose a close game to UGA, win the gimme game of course and then lose by say 10-14 to bama...9-3 with now 8 straight losses to our two biggest rivals who only seem to be getting stronger and we have to play both on the road next year...do we keep Gus?   

8 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Can we just enjoy this for 24 hours and then start with what still needs to be fixed?? I was at the game last night and found myself saying if Roberts would have just turned around on a Fitzgerald throw, he would have intercepted a ball easily. My brother just gave me the “really?” Look. I saw his point?

You can do whatever you want. Most great coaches and programs don't think in this manner though. Alabama won 66-3 yesterday and they said:  "you know, we are pleased with this victory but we got things to work on."  I am very pleased with the victory, now let's get back to work.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Completely agree with all of this.  Here is the thing that I can't wrap my head around.  Let's say we steamroll through Ole Miss, LSU, Arky and A&M...So 7-1 heading into UGA.  Then we lose a close game to UGA, win the gimme game of course and then lose by say 10-14 to bama...9-3 with now 8 straight losses to our two biggest rivals who only seem to be getting stronger and we have to play both on the road next year...do we keep Gus?   

It will depend on the bowl game I am thinking TBH. Just being realistic.  It also depends on how we lose. We lost a close game to Clemson this year and last year to UGA, but the game planning was horrific. A lot of variables. 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I'm guilty of half of that. Two weeks ago Mullen did look to have things on track but now not so much. I said then that I would be okay with Mullen as a coach if Gus was let go. The problem for me is that I don't think Gus is through being Gus. It's like OC Anonymous for him...one game at a time and he might hit a rough patch and start interfering again. I like Gus and want him to succeed. I have always said that. 

OC Anonymous lol. You're exactly right. Gus seems to be really on, or really off. I suspect he always will be, due to his philosophy towards coaching in general.

Many people criticize him for being too conservative but I think he's the opposite: he experiments a lot, and a lot of experiments fail, no matter who you are. But during these broader experiments people look to the things in his scheme that do remain consistent, and blame him for failure to adapt.

Gus is much more willing to build the team around the talent, whereas someone like Saban would embody the opposite philosophy. Say what you will about which style is preferable, but we knew Gus's philosophy from day one. 

Saban builds a machine, Gus tends to a garden. The machine will be consistent but will never match the beauty of our run in 2013, during which the character of our team evolved organically over the course of the season.

Just now, DAG said:

It will depend on the bowl game I am thinking TBH. Just being realistic.  It also depends on how we lose. We lost a close game to Clemson this year and last year to UGA, but the game planning was horrific. A lot of variables. 

True.  I just cannot imagine an Auburn coach who has lost that many in a row to our rivals.  In my 30 plus years as an AU fan I cannot remember going that long between wins over those 2 teams.  I'm fairly certain we haven't had a drought like that in my time.  Even a 10-3 season with a bowl win would seem a bit hollow if we lose to both of them again. 

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly. CGM will be judged on three of the following games: LSU, UGA and BAMA.. 

I’m glad you understood what I meant. 

We are not going to fire a 9-3 coach. You folks need to face that reality. If we do fire him for whatever reason we WON'T hire Mullen. Just not happening. That's the biggest part I consider when firing a coach is "whacha gonna do now". Just not many options. See corn dogs. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Will Pettway be ready by the time we hit the road to BR? I'm confident that Jarrett and the other RBs can carry the offense next week just fine, but we obviously need him healthy.

need him healthy...definitely by November 

55 minutes ago, alexava said:

We are not going to fire a 9-3 coach. You folks need to face that reality. If we do fire him for whatever reason we WON'T hire Mullen. Just not happening. That's the biggest part I consider when firing a coach is "whacha gonna do now". Just not many options. See corn dogs. 

exactly.....Mullen seriously? I guess some stand by the old he would be better with more talent argument 

13 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Not if we have lost 8 straight to UGA and UAT.  

If our oline and overall run game doesn't improve, that streak will not end this year.

59 minutes ago, alexava said:

what about UGA? To me if you are going to declare something , at the very least speak about both options . You keep speaking about LSU, but then you see someone like UGA who took a chance with KS. Either way, you need to quit getting so high and people need to quit getting so low . Long season ahead and too early for decleratives.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Well said. I'd give this ten trophies if I could.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Dan Mullen is a good coach. Switch CGM to Mississippi State and him to AU and you would see the same results. UGA and AU out talent MSU across the board. Both are legit top 15 opponents.

2-16 when his team is ranked and plays a ranked team?

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

what about UGA? To me if you are going to declare something , at the very least speak about both options . You keep speaking about LSU, but then you see someone like UGA who took a chance with KS. Either way, you need to quit getting so high and people need to quit getting so low . Long season ahead and too early for decleratives.

It's a bit early to call that a great hire. He has not done anything his predecessor didn't do many times. He is lucky as hell to have two NFL caliber quarterbacks each patiently waiting for the other to get injured. It does look good at this point. Reminds me a little of oh... gene chizik.  

I am not high. You'll know when I'm high. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

It's a bit early to call that a great hire. He has not done anything his predecessor didn't do many times. He is lucky as hell to have two NFL caliber quarterbacks each patiently waiting for the other to get injured. It does look good at this point. Reminds me a little of oh... gene chizik.  

I am not high. You'll know when I'm high. 

By that notion it is a bit too early to be getting down on coach O or for getting gitty about CGM this season . Again, let's try to look at things from both sides . BTW, I never said he was a great hire . If we are going to have discourse let's try to not make stuff up. Lucky or just great recruiting ? Looks to me like he will probably get JF too. I guess CGM was lucky to have Cam Newton fall in his lap as well.

13 minutes ago, Auskip said:

2-16 when his team is ranked and plays a ranked team?

Not that great until you see the context of it all. You want to see what CGM record is against ranked teams ? With much better talent at his disposal. I wish we had rational fans.

12 hours ago, AidiAU said:

One thing I enjoyed tonight - the atmosphere in JHS. I've complained about the crowd not being in the games, but tonight was different. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope it lasts through November! 

Agreed...it's been a while since I've experienced the real Auburn atmosphere at home. We were having a blast in the stands. It helps that we were pounding them, but there was never a drop off with the noise and enthusiasm. It was my kids first game and same for my fiancé who is from Michigan. I kept telling her there was no other place as much fun as a night game in Jordan-Hare. Glad we lived up to the hype. It was a great experience for her and now I think she's hooked ?. WDE 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not that great until you see the context of it all. You want to see what CGM record is against ranked teams ? With much better talent at his disposal. I wish we had rational fans.

I believe Gus is something like 12-14 against ranked teams. Not terrible but not overly impressive either.  Its all about talent in this league.  Mullen will never have the amount of talent as AU, UA, LSU etc.   Mullen would be at least as good as Gus has been at AU but I can't stand the guy so don't want him lol. 

28 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

exactly.....Mullen seriously? I guess some stand by the old he would be better with more talent argument 

He's no better than his QB...maybe like most coaches .. 

Didn't hear anyone raving about his offensive scheme last night did we ?    In fact, we've never seen much creativity from DM's offense...he just hopes he has an AA quarterback who can run and throw.  The current version is pretty good but was no passing threat when AU shut down his running game. 

JMO.....but he's right where he needs to be at a school with modest expectations.  It sure would be rolling the dice to hire a guy like him, pay him $4M based on the expectation that he could recruit better at AU than he did at MSU.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yup! If our Offense that we saw yesterday showed up in the Clemson game, we win by 14-21 points. I have just personally grown tired of not being ready in big games, no matter when they happen in the season. The guys were amped to play yesterday. It was electric in the stadium and I hope that trend continues. Those boys feed off of it. WDE 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He's no better than his QB...maybe like most coaches .. 

Didn't hear anyone raving about his offensive scheme last night did we ?    In fact, we've never seen much creativity from DM's offense...he just hopes he has an AA quarterback who can run and throw.  The current version is pretty good but was no passing threat when AU shut down his running game. 

JMO.....but he's right where he needs to be at a school with modest expectations.  It sure would be rolling the dice to hire a guy like him, pay him $4M based on the expectation that he could recruit better at AU than he did at MSU.

I wouldn't hire him at AU and I think you're right he is probably right where he should be.  Truth is I've come to think there are just not that many great coaches out there.  Seems like college football has a severe lack of creative guys right now.  There is no perfect system outside of tuscaloosa where saban out recruits everyone.  He also knows how to get the most out of his talent so I give him credit for that.  Clemson got lucky with Dabo.  

Archived