FINAL: Auburn 49 Mississippi State 10

RunInRed

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Not if we have lost 8 straight to UGA and UAT.  

EXACTLY. And even being the dumpster fire they are so far, we haven't won in Baton Rouge since 1999. 

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

People literally said that we’d go 5-1 into LSU and no one would be calling for Gus’ head and everyone would be happy.

Yes they did. I will hold judgement if this team until after that game. I was freshly out of high school the last time we won there.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yes they did. I will hold judgement if this team until after that game. I was freshly out of high school the last time we won there.

I was a year old. 

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

EXACTLY. And even being the dumpster fire they are so far, we haven't won in Baton Rouge since 1999. 

I feel like we will win that one but I don't like to take anything for granted.  I'm happy with this win, I'm happy some things seem to be coming together.  But lets be honest among those of us who are not yet drinking the koolaid...MSU's win over LSU doesn't look like much now, they were ripped last week by UGA and we just did the same thing to them.  The story of this season and most Auburn seasons is always told in November.  I also wouldn't take the trip to A&M for granted.  Road games in the SEC can be tricky.  We drop just one of those, then lose to UGA and UAT again, and all of a sudden we are once again an 8-4 team. Not acceptable. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Geez I feel old. I was getting married that year.  

Gotta keep all you old people on your toes!

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I said Canada was a good hire and stand by it. He is a good OC and Aranda is a good DC, but both sides are struggling to find their identity.

Canada needs a QB....most SEC teams that are struggling are having QB issues....i thought the LSU D should be more settled in Aranda’s second season...

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Canada needs a QB....most SEC teams that are struggling are having QB issues....i thought the LSU D should be more settled in Aranda’s second season...

If we can’t beat Danny freaking Etling in Baton Rouge but Troy can then there’s an issue.

I was glad to see Gus kinda light up when mentioning Malik Miller! I have been saying for weeks we either have no depth that is dependable or need to get them on the field. Next week would be a good time to break #32 in more. And Martin was not 100%. Devan Barrett and #4 are about as quick as any player I have seen. We got a future. 

One thing I enjoyed tonight - the atmosphere in JHS. I've complained about the crowd not being in the games, but tonight was different. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope it lasts through November! 

2 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

One thing I enjoyed tonight - the atmosphere in JHS. I've complained about the crowd not being in the games, but tonight was different. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope it lasts through November! 

MSU's OL didn't enjoy the experience quite as much

1 minute ago, caleb1633 said:

MSU's OL didn't enjoy the experience quite as much

Oh to be a fly on the wall for that position group meeting...

Our DBs played elite defense tonight.  So many times we knocked the ball out at last second without getting a hand on the back of the defender. 

Post game quotes from numerous players

AUBURN, Alabama — Check out the quotes from Auburn's players following its 49-10 victory against Mississippi State.

These quotes were provided by Auburn's media relations department.

Jarrett Stidham, So. QB

On how big it was to get two back to back good games…
“The first two or three games we weren’t all there. But the last two weeks we’ve put together a full game on all three phases.”

On the explosive plays…
“I think anytime you can get those plays it sets the tone and that’s what we tried to do, execute the game plan.”

On the big play from their own 1-yard line…
“I think it kind of speaks to the confidence we have. I think it’s just a testament of our hard work and dedication.”

On his efficient passing…
“I kind of hang my hat on that. That’s something I take pride in. I don’t just want to throw it up in double or triple coverage. That’s one of my goals every week is to have a perfect completion game.”

Eli Stove, So. WR

On the 57-yard reception…
“On the coverage, I didn’t think I was going to get the ball. Still ran my route. When he threw it, I just had to focus in and get it in my hand. It was a good throw. He made the right read.”

On Stidham’s performance the pass three weeks…
“He’s confident and taking everything serious, of course. He’s doing a great job.”

Darius James, Sr., OL

On the play of a new-look offensive line tonight…
“We think we did very well. Our two-deep can play anywhere in the country. We feel like we have a lot of depth. Our coaches put the best five on the field and we just go with whatever he goes with.”

On finding out the starting five…
“The Tuesday practice, one of our hardest working days, just so we know what is going on and he broke it to Prince Tega. Prince took it well and Prince is a competitor. He wants to get better and it’s not going to do anything but make us better.

On Austin Golson’s ability…
“He’s a versatile dude. He’s probably our best offensive lineman, either him or Braden (Smith). He’s played a lot of football in his days and his college career. He’s played a lot of spots and he’s done a lot of different things. I feel like he can be plugged in wherever he needs to be plugged in and wherever coach needs him.

On his injury vs. Mercer…
“It was scary because I’ve never been really injured like that in a middle of a game. After I got through that, it was nothing.”

Will Hastings, Jr., WR

On his size helping him…
“A lot of people back home think you look like you’re 13, so no one really gives you a chance. So I definitely think that helps out size-wise. They don’t really think I’m a threat, and then I can be.”

On Auburn’s offensive balance…
“It was really good. I thought we ran the ball well and I thought we threw the ball great, everything was caught. I thought it was a great game.”

On Auburn’s defense…
“They’re amazing. Like I said last week, the defense is real and I think everyone sees it. They get us the ball back and now we’re producing for them and getting points for them.”

On Jarrett Stidham…
“For offense, it all starts with the quarterback. So if he feels comfortable, then we’re going to get rolling.”

On what’s going through his head when a wide open ball is in the air…
“Just make sure that I catch it and look it in the tuck. Because if you take your eyes from it, you drop it. And that’s what Coach tells us all the time.”

On the move he made to get open…
“It’s almost the same thing I did against Missouri. I just looked out like I was doing a seven-cut and hit it back in. We’ve been working on it all week.”

Kyle Davis, So. WR

On what the difference has been in the last two weeks…
“Everybody executed, and when we had the opportunity to make plays, we did.

On if he’s seen a difference in Jarrett…
“Jarrett’s always had the confidence. I just think he’s more comfortable after getting game reps”

On what it’s like on his confidence when the offense is rolling…
“It’s all about everybody doing their job. Coach is always preaching to do your job and to trust the person next to you, the lineman, quarterback, and running back. We were executing at such a high level because everyone was doing their job.”

Tray Matthews, Sr., DB

On the secondary's game tonight…
“I think we played extremely well tonight. The corners were locked down. To be honest with you, I think we had just one bad snap communication-wise where they got a deep play down the middle, but that was pretty much it. We were solid.”

On Carlton Davis…
“Carlton was locked down today. I was telling him during the game, ‘Man, you’re looking like your old self again,’ and he’s feeling like that again, so that’s big for us.”

On having Javaris Davis back…
“It’s a blessing because that’s the speed demon. He’s a fire missile out there. He’s the fastest on the team. It’s a great advantage for our defense.”

On areas where the defense can improve…
“It’s always things we can correct and get better on.  It was one play that they went deep on and it was miscommunication because of different reads.  We can definitely get better on those things.”

Javaris Davis, So. DB

On his Pick 6…
“We were in a zone coverage and I saw the dude that I ride on the zone. I just tried to make a play on the ball. I saw green grass and just tried to get into the end zone.”

On young players contributing…
“It’s great because we’re building for the future, and coach tries to put freshmen in there so that we can always get better for the future.  We have to continue to grow and work hard.”

Deshaun Davis, Jr., LBOn defense not giving up 14 points all season…

“Our edge.  Coach Steele always stresses flying to the ball and playing with great effort.  Tackling and being physical and I think if you can do those two things then you’re bound to have a good defense.  We don’t like guys to cross the goal line.  We don’t like guys to get yards. We play with a great edge and great fire and that has us where we are now.”

On making Nick Fitzgerald throw more than usual…
“If you can’t run you become one-dimensional, and you have to throw the ball.  Our offense helped us out a lot by putting up points, and they had to come out of the run. You’re not going to run the ball when you’re down 28-10 in the third quarter.  Fitzgerald is a great quarterback, and our coaches put us in a great position to make plays on him.”

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/TV-network-set-for-Ole-Miss-Auburn-kickoff-108262166

Biggest take away is we've improved the last 3 weeks. Get plenty of guys playing time in sec play is huge and will come into play come November. No reason we shouldn't win the next 4 games by double digits.

3 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Dunn did.

It's not like that was some stroke of genius, you'll recall that Darius James was taken off the field on a golf cart.

I know that you know what it reminded all of us of. Remember in 2010 when A.J. Greene got hurt for us in the clemson game? The line magically became a lot better when Brandon Mosely became the starter after that. 

For the ones complaining about running backs.  KJ still mildly injured.  Still effective.  Bubba injured and not very productive.  KMart banged up.  Miller played well.  Barrett true freshman and gets a few touches a game.  Iggy will get speed sweeps like stove but also a true freshman.  Whitlow ankle injury and most likely at this point headed for a redshirt.  Just have to keep going through the schedule and hope you can heal up in season.  

Tre Williams also injured and missed the last 2 games.  

Its been nice to get some of the younger guys in on both sides of the ball.  

As for me I’m not looking to LSU/UGA/bammer.  1 game at a time!!  

The only thing I did not like from this game was muhhhhh boy NCM did not catch a pass and I do not think he was even targeted. :[ WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!

Archived