Sign in to follow this  
NorthGATiger

Running Game

Recommended Posts





Pettway just not healthy. He'll be here another year and I think so will Kerryon. Run game gonna be fine. KJ is producing well enough for us to win, and Pettway will round into form by season's end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KJ does not look close to 100% either. Our 2 main guys look extremely slow to the hole. Multiple plays yesterday where we only gained 2 or 3 yds. We just don't seem to have many plays where rip off 7 to 10 yds. A lot of plodding. No quickness. And BTW, how many running plays do we have? 2 or 3. Not many pulling lineman and just about no motion. I am not a fan of Chips running game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Pettway just not healthy. He'll be here another year and I think so will Kerryon. Run game gonna be fine. KJ is producing well enough for us to win, and Pettway will round into form by season's end. 

The season will be half over next weekend. What you are seeing from KP and KJ is what we are getting. In fact the nagging injuries and leg fatigue will start setting in. As OP said, need to start working other guys in on serious playing time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

would still like to see some more slants

Do y'all think NCM and KD are better suited for slants and crossing routes than the deep ball? They seem to not have enough quickness or speed to get open, on slants  they could use their size more. Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I think we are playing a zero sum game. 

First, we have a weak passing game and strong running game.  We improve the passing and the ground game starts struggling.  :no:

I hope the good pass protection against State means our line is starting to gel.  But we need to tune whatever it is that makes the running game look so ineffectual.   Georgia - not to mention Bama - will eat us alive without an effective balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kd4au said:

Do y'all think NCM and KD are better suited for slants and crossing routes than the deep ball? They seem to not have enough quickness or speed to get open, on slants  they could use their size more. Just a thought.

If Auburn is gonna run the wide receiver screens, the bigger guys need to be thrown to. Let them use their size and strength to break tackles.Catch the ball and run hard straight down the field. The small and elusive receivers are not cutting it on those plays,.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Do y'all think NCM and KD are better suited for slants and crossing routes than the deep ball? They seem to not have enough quickness or speed to get open, on slants  they could use their size more. Just a thought.

I think any of our guys could be effective running some stuff behind the LBs and I think the use of the TE will greatly affect the way LBs play us.  The lack of a TE in the passing game makes it much easier for Safeties and LBs playing us.  Right now they just follow Chandler Cox to the RB.  If we are going to use Chandler to run behind it is really stupid in my opinion to motion him where everyone knows where we are going.  It would be better pre snap to have him in a True FB position.  He would also be a much better passing threat out of the backfield as well.

Edited by NorthGATiger
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

KJ does not look close to 100% either. Our 2 main guys look extremely slow to the hole. Multiple plays yesterday where we only gained 2 or 3 yds. We just don't seem to have many plays where rip off 7 to 10 yds. A lot of plodding. No quickness. And BTW, how many running plays do we have? 2 or 3. Not many pulling lineman and just about no motion. I am not a fan of Chips running game.

On KJ's long run on the 1st drive it was painfully clear that he is not 100% and the hamstring's still bothering him quite a bit. Not that he isn't being productive but I question the wisdom of running him so much in his current condition. The same with KP. IMO, we need to see a lot more creativity in our running game with more playing time for Martin & Miller and more jet sweeps. I love KJ and KP and I want to see them play but not when they're hobbled. Our passing game is on fire right now, so we should not be so desperate as to play injured players.

Edited by Dan-0
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

If Auburn is gonna run the wide receiver screens, the bigger guys need to be thrown to. Let them use their size and strength to break tackles.Catch the ball and run hard straight down the field. The small and elusive receivers are not cutting it on those plays,.

I hate the wr screen, we run it worse than any other team, it's a wasted play.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same plays pettway ran the ball another back would have got more yards . They need to run everyone. We don’t have a world beater at rb , so it’s run the heard so everyone can handle the moment as it comes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems we are sacrificing the running game to get better pass protection for JS.   Would be nice to see more of KM but considering his size I'm doubting he is anywhere as capable as KJ or KP as a pass blocker.  Not sure KM is better than an 80% KJ for that matter  But with KP in the backfield, we have a moderate running threat and a solid pass blocker which is important as much as we are throwing the ball these days.

I'm betting that the first one of the younger RB candidates who proves he will give up his body to protect JS from a rushing LB or DE will see more time on the field. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is Kam Martin on an every other weekend playing rotation lol.  I would much rather throw him screens out of the backfield than see that stupid WR screen.  I wish we would rip that page from the playbook lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

Why is Kam Martin on an every other weekend playing rotation lol.  I would much rather throw him screens out of the backfield than see that stupid WR screen.  I wish we would rip that page from the playbook lol.

I guess they keep hoping that Davis will block his man.....wishful thinking perhaps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am starting to wonder who is actually healthy at RB for AU. KJ and KP are definitely not. Heard Martin was not going into game and I do not remember seeing him play. Is Barrett hurt after his big hit? Also is there a reason we are not seeing Miller? I wonder if they are playing KJ out of necessity. It may also be because they do not trust the others in pass protection. What are the thoughts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was shocked to hear the announcers call him a one trick pony last night but it makes sense.  Until he learns and develops his craft he is just a blocker and deep ball go up and get it guy right now.  I wish all of our WRs could polish up their route running and learn how to quickly get in and out of their cuts.  The long one to Hastings was a prime example of what it should look like

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is, why isn't Miller getting more carries? Is it ball security? Is it trying to keep KJ & KP happy? It's more than obvious that neither of our feature backs are 100%. It's also obvious that EVERY time DB is in the game, the ball is going to him. I'm nitpicking but hopefully things evolve as the season goes along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I must say that I am pleased with the passing game improvements we have seen although I really would still like to see some more slants and the use of a TE incorporated into the passing game.  My biggest concern right now is our inability to take over a game with the run.  We will beat most of the teams we will face moving forward but we will not be successful against ugag and bama without being able to run the ball.  Bubba has the type of injury that is not going to heal this season and he is WAAAAAAY to slow to be effective at all.  He might even be the third best back for short yardage right now.  The camera caught him on the bench after his fumble and one of his teammates came over to pat him on the shoulder and his reaction was rather disturbing for those who may have seen it.  I can't help but wonder if something else is going on with him right now.  Moving forward, I think it's time to start gameplanning with our other backs and get them going to relieve KJ.  Miller, Barrett, and Martin need to play before garbage time in all of our remaining games.  Any of them healthy are better than what we are getting from Bubba right now and maybe we can let Bubba heal some over the next three to four weeks to be ready for the end of the season push.

Very good post . No idea why we don't utilize the others . Miller had some burst. Little spots of tre mason showing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I must say that I am pleased with the passing game improvements we have seen although I really would still like to see some more slants and the use of a TE incorporated into the passing game.  My biggest concern right now is our inability to take over a game with the run.  We will beat most of the teams we will face moving forward but we will not be successful against ugag and bama without being able to run the ball.  Bubba has the type of injury that is not going to heal this season and he is WAAAAAAY to slow to be effective at all.  He might even be the third best back for short yardage right now.  The camera caught him on the bench after his fumble and one of his teammates came over to pat him on the shoulder and his reaction was rather disturbing for those who may have seen it.  I can't help but wonder if something else is going on with him right now.  Moving forward, I think it's time to start gameplanning with our other backs and get them going to relieve KJ.  Miller, Barrett, and Martin need to play before garbage time in all of our remaining games.  Any of them healthy are better than what we are getting from Bubba right now and maybe we can let Bubba heal some over the next three to four weeks to be ready for the end of the season push.

I noticed the same and have concluded that there is more to his challenges than an injury.  May never know the full story there.  Glad to see the effort that Barrett is putting forth...getting some meaningful reps that will help us down the line.  Would like to see Bubba sit until he's ready to go at 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

My question is, why isn't Miller getting more carries? Is it ball security? Is it trying to keep KJ & KP happy? It's more than obvious that neither of our feature backs are 100%. It's also obvious that EVERY time DB is in the game, the ball is going to him. I'm nitpicking but hopefully things evolve as the season goes along. 

With this coaching staff who knows.  Maybe he wears the wrong kind of cologne or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kd4au said:

I hate the wr screen, we run it worse than any other team, it's a wasted play.

Need I remind you that one of those "wasted plays" turned into a red zone TD last night? I get the frustration with seeing so many WR screens and no slants or crossing routes or really any intermediate passing game whatsoever, but sometimes those WR screens work out pretty nicely.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I must say that I am pleased with the passing game improvements we have seen although I really would still like to see some more slants and the use of a TE incorporated into the passing game.  My biggest concern right now is our inability to take over a game with the run.  We will beat most of the teams we will face moving forward but we will not be successful against ugag and bama without being able to run the ball.  Bubba has the type of injury that is not going to heal this season and he is WAAAAAAY to slow to be effective at all.  He might even be the third best back for short yardage right now.  The camera caught him on the bench after his fumble and one of his teammates came over to pat him on the shoulder and his reaction was rather disturbing for those who may have seen it.  I can't help but wonder if something else is going on with him right now.  Moving forward, I think it's time to start gameplanning with our other backs and get them going to relieve KJ.  Miller, Barrett, and Martin need to play before garbage time in all of our remaining games.  Any of them healthy are better than what we are getting from Bubba right now and maybe we can let Bubba heal some over the next three to four weeks to be ready for the end of the season push.

Was in the stadium. What was his reaction after his fumble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Miller's limited carries last night, he looked 2-3X better than Pettway.  We need to let Pettway rest until he's ready.  Miller is the better option right now.  KMart has done a much better job of ball security lately.  He needs to be trusted more.  His speed is very useful.  DBarrett wants to be more involved!  He plays with intensity.  He has a lot of potential.  Let's get him out there more and give him some chances.  I know what Pettway did last year (He's not that guy right now!)  I know how reliable KJ is.  And even less than 100% I think he is our best RB.  But let these other guys play.  KJ can't do it all by himself!  And if he does and then gets hurt (we know those chances are high!) no one else is capable of stepping up because they haven't gotten enough real experience.  

As for WRs.  I have no idea why every single one of our WRs is being used as a one trick pony (in some cases 2).  Every screen goes to R Davis.  K Davis runs that one deep skinny post route or fly repeatedly.  Same for Slayton.  Will Hastings runs 2 routes (the double move and the out).  WHY?!?!?!?!?!?  I have no idea.  In spite of this, our passing game has looked much better the last couple of weeks.  But against a really good defense, its not gonna happen.  We must expand what we're doing in the passing game to develop real balance!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this