Running Game

NorthGATiger

Pettway is just not ready yet or he has had a setback in his recovery. I would sit him for the Ole Miss game and see how it responds. Kerryon can't be expected to carry all the load. KJ is just not that kind of back and he will start to break down. Miller looks pretty good out there to me. He has the size to pick up the slack and compliment KJ. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now, Pettway is a liability and should not be on the field until he gets well.  We need to start using Iggy and Barrett in a short passing game to help with a weak run game. We can’t run Kerryon in the ground.  He is still injured and we have to help him protect his hammy.  Miller needs more carries, too. 

All that I can think of for the reason that other backs are not getting many reps is that these illustrious offensive coaches have some kind of merit system, or 12 step program or something along those lines, that players have to work through in order to get to run the ball.   It may be like a boy scout merit badge system.   With these guys, I would not doubt it one bit.  Hell, who knows with these mensa candidates

27 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Right now, Pettway is a liability and should not be on the field until he gets well.  We need to start using Iggy and Barrett in a short passing game to help with a weak run game. We can’t run Kerryon in the ground.  He is still injured and we have to help him protect his hammy.  Miller needs more carries, too. 

Someone can explain to me otherwise but I am thinking that with those smaller young guys in the backfield our deep pass efforts will come to a halt....Someone has to provide pass protection.

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

I hate the wr screen, we run it worse than any other team, it's a wasted play.

You guys check the play by play Saturday? those wr screens went for 6 yds, 7 yds(td), 4 yds, 6yds, 11, yds etc. only one was a negative play and that was because stidham made a bad throw behind the line..

True, some teams play it better than others, but not Saturday.  and you can't run it with big WRs cause you need another wr to block and the smaller guys can't plus you need quickness out there.

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Someone can explain to me otherwise but I am thinking that with those smaller young guys in the backfield our deep pass efforts will come to a halt....Someone has to provide pass protection.

Miller at 225 lbs is bigger than KJ at 212 lbs.  Maybe an experience factor, but keep Cox or another HB in for help on the edge if necessary.

KMart is banged up or was for this week. He will be in the rotation when he’s healed up.  Barrett isn’t a good blocker yet but he would be a decent option opening a series with and not obvious passing downs.  Miller should definitely start seeing a few first half drives.  Heck just go with a plan of the forth drive in the first half is all Millers. Teach him the blocking schemes on 5 or 6 plays and the running he’s really good so 5-6 pass plays and 3-4 run plays and he’s golden 

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

You guys check the play by play Saturday? those wr screens went for 6 yds, 7 yds(td), 4 yds, 6yds, 11, yds etc. only one was a negative play and that was because stidham made a bad throw behind the line..

True, some teams play it better than others, but not Saturday.  and you can't run it with big WRs cause you need another wr to block and the smaller guys can't plus you need quickness out there.

This. I hate seeing us run this when we don't have the personnel but we actually do now and last night showed that it works. Stidham can rip it out there accurately (unlike past two years). What is bothering me is running this and not exploiting the middle of the field more with the pass game, which this should be opening up. I'm hoping that some TE throws off these looks might be coming somewhere. But most of these throws we are getting 6-8 yds seems like- if  we were running a ZR, people would be ok with those numbers.

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

KMart is banged up or was for this week. He will be in the rotation when he’s healed up.  Barrett isn’t a good blocker yet but he would be a decent option opening a series with and not obvious passing downs.  Miller should definitely start seeing a few first half drives.  Heck just go with a plan of the forth drive in the first half is all Millers. Teach him the blocking schemes on 5 or 6 plays and the running he’s really good so 5-6 pass plays and 3-4 run plays and he’s golden 

I appreciate that and sounds reasonable..... but don't you think the 5 or 6 guys we have coaching the offense and running backs aren't also aware of what the solutions are.....and for some reason it does not happen.?     Folks love to beat on Gus ...but it's not just Gus out there...CCL is the OC and Horton and a number of other guys plus GAs....when we see a video of practice there must be a dozen "coaches" out there helping instruct the players on fundamentals. 

Most of the solutions to the various issues of blocking, or which RB to have in the game, etc. etc. seem pretty self evident....so maybe the answer is that players haven't learned how to block even a half dozen plays that are necessary to avoid more games with double digit sacks.  At some point the burden for execution falls to the players though mostly we don't like to criticize them.  

Guess I have too much confidence in the coaches to think that all of them are dumb...either can't see what the problems are or perhaps don't know which players they should have on the field.   Meanwhile I think back to the game on Saturday and watched Dan Mullen's team....the guy some people are wanting to hire to coach here....and I watched his team commit a half dozen 'motion' penalties, drop passes, let receivers get behind them ...etc....stuff we would verbally crucify our coaches about if it happened here.

Took me too long to get to the point I guess.   But is our entire coaching staff incompetent? or are they doing the best they can with the players they have ? :dunno:

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I appreciate that and sounds reasonable..... but don't you think the 5 or 6 guys we have coaching the offense and running backs aren't also aware of what the solutions are.....and for some reason it does not happen.?     Folks love to beat on Gus ...but it's not just Gus out there...CCL is the OC and Horton and a number of other guys plus GAs....when we see a video of practice there must be a dozen "coaches" out there helping instruct the players on fundamentals. 

Most of the solutions to the various issues of blocking, or which RB to have in the game, etc. etc. seem pretty self evident....so maybe the answer is that players haven't learned how to block even a half dozen plays that are necessary to avoid more games with double digit sacks.  At some point the burden for execution falls to the players though mostly we don't like to criticize them.  

Guess I have too much confidence in the coaches to think that all of them are dumb...either can't see what the problems are or perhaps don't know which players they should have on the field.   Meanwhile I think back to the game on Saturday and watched Dan Mullen's team....the guy some people are wanting to hire to coach here....and I watched his team commit a half dozen 'motion' penalties, drop passes, let receivers get behind them ...etc....stuff we would verbally crucify our coaches about if it happened here.

Took me too long to get to the point I guess.   But is our entire coaching staff incompetent? or are they doing the best they can with the players they have ? :dunno:

Honestly I think our pass pro has gotten better since game 3 and I see what you are saying but there are some things we are not doing on offense that are remedial that these coaches should be doing regardless of the inability of our RBs being able to block.  They don't have to block that long if they are catching screen passes or if we are incorporating the TE in the passing game to keep the LBs from blitzing every play.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Was in the stadium. What was his reaction after his fumble?

I wish I could put the video here but his reaction to his fellow teammate who was telling him not to worry about it was anger. I don't want to speculate what the words were he said but it looked like something to the effect of get the #^*&&* out of here.

A wheel route out of the backfield behind the clearout from the WRs would also be a nice addition with our backs matched up with LBs.

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

Honestly I think our pass pro has gotten better since game 3 and I see what you are saying but there are some things we are not doing on offense that are remedial that these coaches should be doing regardless of the inability of our RBs being able to block.  They don't have to block that long if they are catching screen passes or if we are incorporating the TE in the passing game to keep the LBs from blitzing every play.

True but the last game or two there has been more emphasis on the deep pass and JS needs the time.  I could not believe how much time he had (and took) while standing in the end zone for that long pass route to develop.   I expect the coaches watched UGA torch the MSU secondary and made the commitment for that game to go deep every time they had the chance....some beautiful passes but JS needs the time.....he's still raw as far as responding the rush and is as likely to step into problems as to get away from them.    To the best of their ability the coaches are building a wall around him to give him plenty of time...and time for the receivers to shake the defenders.  

As I opined earlier.....for the MSU game at least the coaches sacrificed the running game to burn MSU on the long passes.    Good game plan in my view and might not be what we see the coming week...

37 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I wish I could put the video here but his reaction to his fellow teammate who was telling him not to worry about it was anger. I don't want to speculate what the words were he said but it looked like something to the effect of get the #^*&&* out of here.

Tru dat. That's my personal favorite word when I'm p----d, especially at myself. This doesn't bother me too much.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I saw the same thing steegle, I was never a fan of the screen pass when Sean was quarterback because I always felt like the defense was going to jump it and take it to the house, with Stidham ripping it out there to the receivers I have begun to really like it; with the speed we have (Ryan Davis, Stove, Hastings, Barrett, Iggy), anyone of these can take it to the house.

One note on TEs...I'm not sure we have one who can be relied upon in the pass game and the run game. Supposedly Cannella can't block that well, and Harris can't catch so well, which leave (if memory is serving me correctly) a walk on and a true freshman at the position. I feel like if we had a Lutzie type, he would be thriving already in this offense.

Can or do the younger guys get more reps in practice as season progresses? That's my biggest worry. That this turns into 2016 because of not having younger guys prepared because critical injuries most likely will happen. With our personnel, if our coaches playcall to keep defenses honest, I feel we can play with any team 

With regards to the screens, if we get 4-8 yards out of them consistently, they are essentially a quick run play to the boundary that causes the defense to have to defend sideline to sideline, wearing them out and opening up the middle of the field via the run or pass. I think one of the reasons Hastings was so wide open on his TD was because of how much we'd successfully attacked the boundaries all game.

9 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

A wheel route out of the backfield behind the clearout from the WRs would also be a nice addition with our backs matched up with LBs.

On the wildcat reverse pass by Stidham, the speed sweep continued up the sideline and was wide open. IMO, it would've easily been a TD.

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Seems we are sacrificing the running game to get better pass protection for JS.   Would be nice to see more of KM but considering his size I'm doubting he is anywhere as capable as KJ or KP as a pass blocker.  Not sure KM is better than an 80% KJ for that matter  But with KP in the backfield, we have a moderate running threat and a solid pass blocker which is important as much as we are throwing the ball these days.

I'm betting that the first one of the younger RB candidates who proves he will give up his body to protect JS from a rushing LB or DE will see more time on the field. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is why KJ and Pettway are being relied upon, even thought they are not at 100%. Another reason that Kerryon is so vital on the field, is due to his leadership and ability to inspire.

No issues with Barrett and Miller in running the ball. Their issue is not understanding the blocking schemes via the playbook.

I do expect KM to be back playing, once he heals up. He can catch really well out of the backfield as can Devin Barrett. Barrett just needs some time to learn the offensive playbook and his blocking assignments, as does Miller.

Two things. First, KP started the season suspended. Not what you expect from a guy with a chance to have a big year and improve his draft stock. Injury or not, his body language doesn't project a team first attitude.  I assume he's frustrated over his injury. Not sure what his deal is but it seems unlikely we will get the production from him we got last year. Second, I keep hearing that concerns over pass pro are limiting MM and DB reps. If that's the case, play them on running downs. Bama's Harris and UGAs Swift are getting their reps. It's time for our coaches to get our guys theirs. We are going to need them in November. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Two things. First, KP started the season suspended. Not what you expect from a guy with a chance to have a big year and improve his draft stock. Injury or not, his body language doesn't project a team first attitude.  I assume he's frustrated over his injury. Not sure what his deal is but it seems unlikely we will get the production from him we got last year. Second, I keep hearing that concerns over pass pro are limiting MM and DB reps. If that's the case, play them on running downs. Bama's Harris and UGAs Swift are getting their reps. It's time for our coaches to get our guys theirs. We are going to need them in November. 

You are exactly right on Harris and Swift.  Swift is getting carries with Chubb and Sony healthy.  If we blow the doors off of Ole Miss early, these guys should play the rest of the game.  

1 hour ago, bikeriderga said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is why KJ and Pettway are being relied upon, even thought they are not at 100%. Another reason that Kerryon is so vital on the field, is due to his leadership and ability to inspire.

No issues with Barrett and Miller in running the ball. Their issue is not understanding the blocking schemes via the playbook.

I do expect KM to be back playing, once he heals up. He can catch really well out of the backfield as can Devin Barrett. Barrett just needs some time to learn the offensive playbook and his blocking assignments, as does Miller.

Watched some of the replay last night including the pass out of the end zone to Stove early in the second half.   KJ helped make a critical block on the right side to prevent a pass rusher from getting to Stidham for a possible safety.    Not saying one of the younger guys could not have done the same, but I'm betting KJ was in the game for his ability to make a block like that.

I like the way Barrrett runs and he's a good pass catcher so hope to see more of him as the season progresses     We have some good young backs but with the passing game playing a bigger role now, I'm thinking that pass protection is a major factor in who plays.

Even at 80%, KJ is a very valuable guy to have and if continuing to play with the hammy issue is not dangerous to his health or future, I'm happy to see him in the game.  Someone described him as a "swiss army knife"....could not agree more....as versatile a back as we've ever had..in the Ronnie Brown mold perhaps. .

Archived