Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Miss State).....

JMR

20 minutes ago, JMR said:

Seems like just a couple of years ago when we were all complaining about the pursuit angles of our defense. I was reminded of that as I watched one player after another take a great angle last night. There is some big-time coaching going on with the Auburn defense.

Yes thank you Steele and Brown for keying in on this! A major irritant in the past.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JMR said:
On the underthrown deep ball Stidham threw on the reverse out of the Wildcat formation, that was an extremely difficult throw. Stidham was moving to his left, making it tough to put a lot on the ball for a right-hander. Not a bad throw at all under the circumstances.

I remember thinking during the game that if the play was reversed, it would've been a TD because Stidham would have been able to get his feet under him and drive into the throw. I'm not a coach of any sort so I didn't say anything at the time :)

Regarding KP, it is obvious he hasn't been completely  there physically all season. Now he is showing that he is not where he needs to be mentally. I wish the best for him. It is obviously time to get MM and DB ready for the stretch. Both look very effective  and capable of contributing.  DBs burst is especially impressive. I hope we start giving them more reps each week. We will need them in November. WDE!?

#33 brings this old man to remember #88

• Like 5

Interesting your view on Kyle Davis and blocking. He's my crush so clEarly I'm a fan, but I thought he wasn't blocking well as our WR were stopped a few times. 

Disclaimer: I'm like the furthest thing from a football coach so your comment makes me feel better. 

• Like 2

I've been keyed in on the dbs the last few games and their technique in coverage and tackling are awesome. Great job by coach Brown and every top cornerback and safety recruit should take notice.

• Like 2

Really look forward to your posts after each game- thanks coach! What are your thoughts about our intermediate passing game, which still seems to be lacking? Is stuff there to be had that we're missing/not trying to exploit or are we just taking what IS available. I'm just thinking really good defenses (read: UGA and Bama) are gonna be tough to pull off the stuff that's working against the Mizzous and MSUs of the world. I'll hang up and listen....

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, fredst said:

Really look forward to your posts after each game- thanks coach! What are your thoughts about our intermediate passing game, which still seems to be lacking? Is stuff there to be had that we're missing/not trying to exploit or are we just taking what IS available. I'm just thinking really good defenses (read: UGA and Bama) are gonna be tough to pull off the stuff that's working against the Mizzous and MSUs of the world. I'll hang up and listen....

Good question, Fred. I think the success we are now having with the deep ball will lead to openings underneath the safeties and behind the linebackers. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. FWIW, Lindsey has had a pretty stout intermediate game everywhere he's been. 

• Thanks 1

I said in the off-season that our best OL combo would include CD at C, not bc he is better at that position than AG, but bc AG was more valuable at other positions. I'm glad to see Dunn taking over that C position bc I think that move has helped tremendously with our OL play.

• Like 1

@JMR, with our zone run blocking, there have been some nice cut back lanes that have opened up that we are either not seeing or not able to get to. With KP and KJ not 100%, why do you think we aren't utilizing our other backs that are healthier and seem to be better cut back runners?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

@JMR, with our zone run blocking, there have been some nice cut back lanes that have opened up that we are either not seeing or not able to get to. With KP and KJ not 100%, why do you think we aren't utilizing our other backs that are healthier and seem to be better cut back runners?

Coach, you know the answer as well as I do. ?

• Like 2

Just now, JMR said:

Coach, you know the answer as well as I do. ?

Just seeing if you thought the same. Glad we think alike

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just seeing if you thought the same. Glad we think alike

Anything you want to share ? ?

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This was painfully obvious from up in the end zone last p.m.- big holes that just can't be effectively exploited. Would love to hear why you two think KM and MM aren't being utilized more?....

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I've never coached but I think even I could answer that ;)

I'm thinking it might have a little something to do with coaches' decision making. Do you notice many other teams, college of NFL, just sticking with one back every game? Not to mention one that isn't 100%. Seems like they might benefit from a few less carries, and the young ones might just benefit from the experience. Maybe I'm just crazy.

I wonder if B. Cowart wished he would have not quit....would have played a lot of plays...

I saw quite possibly the worst officiating crew in the SEC in a long time.  Those guys were throwing flags and waving them off like I've never seen.

Jeff Holland has OT's spooked, was the cause of 5 or 6 false starts.

Offensive line absolutely stonewalled MSU's defensive front on Stidham's long throw from our end zone.  He had all the time to wait on the receiver...almost waited too long to get it there.

• Like 2

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

Offensive line absolutely stonewalled MSU's defensive front on Stidham's long throw from our end zone.  He had all the time to wait on the receiver...almost waited too long to get it there

You have to admit it was a beautiful throw, right on the money as was the one to Davis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, selias said:

I remember thinking during the game that if the play was reversed, it would've been a TD because Stidham would have been able to get his feet under him and drive into the throw. I'm not a coach of any sort so I didn't say anything at the time :)

The TV guys said he threw it 60 yards into a strong wind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kd4au said:

The TV guys said he threw it 60 yards into a strong wind.

That was a stiff breeze those throws to Slayton and Stove went to- otherwise those were both looonnnggg TDs. Stidham has the arm, that is not a ? at this point.

• Like 1

“I enjoyed the replay of Will Hastings' long TD reception. Beautiful to watch a receiver skillfully turn a DB the wrong way before making his final cut.”

This was a thing of beauty to watch in person. 

As always Coach, enjoy reading your observations.

Edited by WVR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You have to admit it was a beautiful throw, right on the money as was the one to Davis.

The play by play commentary on the radio was great....he was like "he's going to throw it from the end zone," but his tone of his voice was pure disbelief. 

That was a Chip Lindsey call all the way, because Gus wouldn't ever think about slinging it in that situation. It would have be a run up the middle for a 2 yard gain. 

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2