Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Miss State).....

JMR

A question in terms of the switch to zone run blocking...

I am reminded of an entirely random anecdote about Rush drummer Neil Peart, where during a hiatus he went and studied under the great jazz drummer Buddy Rich. When he came back to the band, it messed up the rest of the group something awful because all the timing and anticipation they'd worked on for 30 years had changed. Took them some time to get it back.

That being said...does that happen to running backs too? I mean, I imagine KP and KJ have been seeing holes open up one way for a long time with the old road grading OL style. Is there anything in the zone blocking schemes that make holes and cutback lanes look so different they may be unfamiliar or hard to recognize? The run game doesn't look like it's getting shut down, it just looks...slow. Plodding. I seem to see a lot of RBs running into the back of linemen.

Just wondering!

Edited by Auctoritas

Did anyone else catch Braden Smith bail out Dareus James on K Davis's long reception? James got beat and Braden turned from his guy and just pushed the defender to the ground before he got to Stidham.  Pure beast.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pedaler said:

Did anyone else catch Braden Smith bail out Dareus James on K Davis's long reception? James got beat and Braden turned from his guy and just pushed the defender to the ground before he got to Stidham.  Pure beast.

After watching a little bit closer last night I really think that James is a liability (or at least not our best option) on the OL, at guard or tackle. JMO.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You have to admit it was a beautiful throw, right on the money as was the one to Davis.

That pass was my favorite. Straight drop, no hesitation just aired out and hit him in stride. 

And he got a terrific block by Braden who cleaned up for James.

Watch this: https://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/WATCH-Auburns-Braden-Smith-makes-crushing-block-108320379

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

That being said...does that happen to running backs too? I mean, I imagine KP and KJ have been seeing holes open up one way for a long time with the old road grading OL style. Is there anything in the zone blocking schemes that make holes and cutback lanes look so different they may be unfamiliar or hard to recognize? The run game doesn't look like it's getting shut down, it just looks...slow. Plodding. I seem to see a lot of RBs running into the back of linemen.

Yes.  In man the RB has to have great field vision to find the hole and in zone he has to be more specific with his vision and trust his read.  The change is terribly disruptive to the OL as well.  Their communication/intuition takes a long time to develop.  It has been noted that some backs never get comfortable in the system while others thrive.  Obviously Terrel Davis benefited greatly while Darren McFadden not so much.  

Our O-line has been beat up weekly for the lack of run production, but as Coach notes they have consistently gotten better with repetition and will continue to.  This is one area that I have great confidence we don't need to panic.  They should be a well oiled machine by the time they face the two better run stopping defenses in the conference.  LSU is not one of those teams.

12 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You have to admit it was a beautiful throw, right on the money as was the one to Davis.

That is an area for improvement I see for Stidham. Right now, he waits till the receiver is open before delivering the ball. He needs to get to where he is able to anticipate the receiver being open and get it to him before the WR is open. If he can do that, which I think he'll get there with more reps, he can exploit defenses like UGA and Bama.

Another area for improvement is hot routes and check downs rather than taking off running if his first two reads aren't there or he's under pressure. Again, I think he'll get there with more reps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

That is an area for improvement I see for Stidham. Right now, he waits till the receiver is open before delivering the ball. He needs to get to where he is able to anticipate the receiver being open and get it to him before the WR is open. If he can do that, which I think he'll get there with more reps, he can exploit defenses like UGA and Bama.

Another area for improvement is hot routes and check downs rather than taking off running if his first two reads aren't there or he's under pressure. Again, I think he'll get there with more reps.

The exact kind of stuff we should've been repping and improving in week 1 and again against Mercer. Sigh. At least it's improving now. 

• Like 1

Glad to see you're optimistic about the OL improvement. With Golson at LT, we're certainly more sound with the play action passing. Still concerned we can't knock people off the ball. Even more so with our top two backs severely limited.

13 hours ago, Pedaler said:

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/914837369639055360

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JMR said:

Coach, you know the answer as well as I do. ?

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Just seeing if you thought the same. Glad we think alike

Are you saying but not saying... Gus being Gus?

• Like 2

Sitting in the student section (behind the goal post), I tend to watch the warm-ups a lot and I field a lot of the FGs kicked our way (except for Carlson cause it's almost always over my head or in the tunnel). This weekend, I wasn't paying too much attention until a particular BOOM from a punter grabbed my attention as the ball went up with some serious hang time. I was immediately like "Who the hell kicked that??!!" and spotted Marshall (whom I was not familiar with at all) and proceeded to keep an eye on him. He has a great leg and I told my fiancee to watch for him to get the start from now on - and he did (and likely will). It'll be nice to have that position battle over with for now without having to resort to using Carlson.

I really hope we are working hard to bring our young RBs up to speed with the offense. Kerryon is patient and smart with the football, even effective in the Wildcat when the defense knows what's coming, but we really need a fully healthy and explosive player to carry the ball between the 20s. When KJ broke into the secondary I got excited for about half a second until I realized I probably could've outrun him to the end zone myself and he knew it too as he immediately started looking back to try and fend off the coming tackle. Kam Martin was supposedly banged up (but was he really?) so Malik and Devan need to be getting a LOT of reps in practice and hopefully a lot more carries in garbage time against our upcoming foes. We need them!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Linayus said:

Sitting in the student section (behind the goal post), I tend to watch the warm-ups a lot and I field a lot of the FGs kicked our way (except for Carlson cause it's almost always over my head or in the tunnel). This weekend, I wasn't paying too much attention until a particular BOOM from a punter grabbed my attention as the ball went up with some serious hang time. I was immediately like "Who the hell kicked that??!!" and spotted Marshall (whom I was not familiar with at all) and proceeded to keep an eye on him. He has a great leg and I told my fiancee to watch for him to get the start from now on - and he did (and likely will). It'll be nice to have that position battle over with for now without having to resort to using Carlson.

I really hope we are working hard to bring our young RBs up to speed with the offense. Kerryon is patient and smart with the football, even effective in the Wildcat when the defense knows what's coming, but we really need a fully healthy and explosive player to carry the ball between the 20s. When KJ broke into the secondary I got excited for about half a second until I realized I probably could've outrun him to the end zone myself and he knew it too as he immediately started looking back to try and fend off the coming tackle. Kam Martin was supposedly banged up (but was he really?) so Malik and Devan need to be getting a LOT of reps in practice and hopefully a lot more carries in garbage time against our upcoming foes. We need them!

10/10, would again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1