Short/intermediate passing and run blocking

gr82b4au

This team is starting to gel and they look good. Very good. The defense is amazing. The offense is building confidence and they are starting to click.

This team could be elite by season's end, but I still think there are 2 areas on offense that need improvement for us to reach our true potential - more short/intermediate passing routes and better run blocking. I think we can fix the first one pretty easily. Not sure about the second. 

Either way it has been a fun few weeks and hopefully it will continue for the next several weeks. 

10 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Only judging this from what I see on TV so TIFWIW but I get the feeling a couple of our WR's are not terribly excited about blocking so much. 

NCM is being used almost exclusively as a blocker! and He is not thrilled and neither am I.

38 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

NCM is being used almost exclusively as a blocker! and He is not thrilled and neither am I.

Blocking is part of being a team. He caught a long TD pass last game and I am sure will catch more in the future. 

I just want to see some quick passes. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

more intermediate passing routes and better run blocking

I agree 100%!!!  And add using our healthy RBs. Run blocking was better on Saturday, but our gimpy RBs couldn’t hit the holes soon enough. There is no reason KP should see the field until he gets better. I think KJ is still our best back right now even less than 100%, but we’ve got to give the ball to MM, KMart, and DBarrett more!!!

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Blocking is part of being a team. He caught a long TD pass last game and I am sure will catch more in the future. 

I just want to see some quick passes. 

Not a good look for our 5 star WR to be used exclusively to block! He did not get targeted once last game. 

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like the last poster said blocking is a huge part of the position now. Especially if you wanna ever get a look in the NFL. If he's not thrilled then he can sit on the bench. Just saying 

11 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Like the last poster said blocking is a huge part of the position now. Especially if you wanna ever get a look in the NFL. If he's not thrilled then he can sit on the bench. Just saying 

HE. DID. NOT. GET. TARGETED. ONCE. He is much better than this. He is not making any nfl roster with having 0 catch games like this. Why should only he be used exclusively as a blocker? 

I only see the receivers on replays so I may be off, but all receivers look covered up unless it's a trick or missed assignment. Hastings ran a great route but other than that, not much. I anticipated seeing ncm and kd making catches bc they beat a corner, but they just aren't. 

When we play elite defenses it will show bc safties won't make error after error. 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

HE. DID. NOT. GET. TARGETED. ONCE. He is much better than this. He is not making any nfl roster with having 0 catch games like this. Why should only he be used exclusively as a blocker? 

Because he is a team player. He is one of a group of great WR. He will get his. 

I agree. When is the last time you heard Mel Kiper or Todd McShay rave about a WR's blocking ability? 

MSU appears to have some good speed in the secondary.  Malik was almost caught, Kyle Davis was caught after catching in stride inside the 10, and Stove was caught after getting into the secondary.  Either that, or our guys are a half-step slow.  Hastings looks quick...can't deny that.

Yeah, I like spreading the ball around, but I also wouldn't mind having a go-to receiver we target 8-12 times a game.  I feel like both NCM and K. Davis could be that guy.

14 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

I only see the receivers on replays so I may be off, but all receivers look covered up unless it's a trick or missed assignment. Hastings ran a great route but other than that, not much. I anticipated seeing ncm and kd making catches bc they beat a corner, but they just aren't. 

When we play elite defenses it will show bc safties won't make error after error. 

Yes I won't get excited about the wr's outside of Hastings until I see this. The db just fell down when KD got his LONE catch of the game. It is annoying. NCM showed in the spring game that he has the moves to get past people and go up and get it.

I've seen our TE routes wide open but I don't think Stidham ever makes it that far in his progressions. But to be fair, one of those was still a huge gain.

As for NCM being used as a blocker - with this size he should always be on the field for run plays. Even more so if the play is to the outside. Stidham himself just has to trust his receivers more as he tends to look for the guy who has more separation. NCM might win some jump ball scenarios but that trust takes time to build up.

I think we'll see a lot of power running against Ole Miss. Apparently MSU was playing just 5 men in the box against us, and with Stidham's success throwing deep, it should open up a lot of running lanes.

8 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I think we'll see a lot of power running against Ole Miss. Apparently MSU was playing just 5 men in the box against us, and with Stidham's success throwing deep, it should open up a lot of running lanes.

The unfortunate thing is, even with teams putting 5 in the box our run game is not taking off. We should be seeing last year-type production on the ground if we are just facing 5-men boxes. Instead we are still getting 2 yard gains up the gut.

Archived