Mississippi State Positives

War Knight

1. Jarrett Stidham is still getting happy feet but dear lord did we find our deep ball groove. His receivers adjusted really well to a lot of passes and he's a blessing our team definitely needed.

2. Our running backs behind KP and KJ are pretty stout. I honestly can't wait to see them get more reps as a way to at least change the pace at times.

3. Receivers played much better this game than they have all year. I believe it was Ryan Davis was the one with a beautiful block to seal the edge for a touchdown. Better blocking, routes, and protecting the football.

4. Corners challenging and breaking up passes was just brutal to witness. I felt bad for the Mississippi State receivers at times. Carlton Davis looked more to form this week in particular.

5. Our linebackers again are playing tremendously well. We, for the most part, did a fantastic job containing a very dangerous mobile and accurate quarterback.

6. One of our most interesting statistics that was brought up in this game was another positive nod to the defense. We are 1 in 3 teams I believe that hasn't allowed 18+ points. Phenomenal. Give Steele a raise and keys to the city.

7. Offensive Line is steadily improving. Not there yet but they are improving week-to-week. That's all you can ask as a coach.

8. Very happy to see a change at punter. Bless the other kid's heart but something had to happen. We have been losing the field position battle lately.

9. Malik Willis's run at the end has me drooling. I hope he actually develops and sticks around. Fingers crossed.

10. More experience for the young guns. Who would have thought we wouldn't get our youth in against Mercer but we do against Mizzou and Miss State.

Actually, I think we are the ONLY team left that hasn't given up more than 14 points. 

6 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Actually, I think we are the ONLY team left that hasn't given up more than 14 points. 

Yep let's keep it goin! Onward and upwards!

Some of our secondary play is still suspect. Several PBUs were more on the receiver not being able to hang on to the ball than anything our DBs did. Carlton Davis is still getting picked on and he still doesn't look like the All-SEC player we expected after his freshman campaign.

That said, I think a lot of that is the scheme we run to ensure we don't get beat by the long ball. I am quite happy with how it's working out. I'd like to see tighter coverage but as long as the top stays on the defense, I'll be fine. lol

2 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I'd like to see tighter coverage...

Really? Maybe it just me, but coverage seems very tight.  

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

On deeper throws, yes, though our DBs need to find the ball faster than they have been (a couple of near misses with potential PI calls). We have really good closing speed on the intermediate/short routes which is where I see coverage not being as tight. I'm sure it's by design (as Mathews himself said coach emphasizes not letting the top off) but I miss the days where we had DBs and LBs jumping routes. It's riskier but I think this defense could do it.

Like I said though, I'm happy with how it's working out for us. If that's all I can find to complain about, we're golden. :hellyeah:

57 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Some of our secondary play is still suspect. Several PBUs were more on the receiver not being able to hang on to the ball than anything our DBs did. Carlton Davis is still getting picked on and he still doesn't look like the All-SEC player we expected after his freshman campaign.

Well OM throws it all over the place so it will be something to watch this weekend. I personally thought the DBs played great in the MSU game. It may have been their best game overall in years. 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well OM throws it all over the place so it will be something to watch this weekend. I personally thought the DBs played great in the MSU game. It may have been their best game overall in years. 

I'm nitpicking but State's receivers dropped several balls that were easily first downs or more. Our DBs closed well and I'm sure were a factor in disrupting some plays but I'm not ready to give them all the credit for the performance on Saturday. If they do the same this weekend against Ole Miss, I'll be thrilled.

We have great DBs (especially at corner), I just don't feel they are playing to their full potential yet (and it's little things like getting their head around faster). And honestly, that's amazing and exciting when you think about how well they are playing overall and as a unit.

This shows a bit of what I'm talking about - and just emphasizes more to myself that I'm being very nit picky about Carlton Davis (really I'm just asking for perfection, right?) - but in one clip he gets lucky that the State defender never secured the catch (still gets credit for the PBU) and then in another he makes an excellent play for the PBU. 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-film-room-mississippi-state-jarrett-stidham

I actually agreeLinayus i think the secondary is our only concern on D. MSU dropped a few balls that should of been easily caught and on one play i think our db got away with a P.I.I think OM will be a great test for them seeing as they have some good WR's.

Haven't rewatched the game but there were also several PBU that on replay showed the DBs ripping the ball out after it was in the receivers hands in perfect timing. Not sure if we are discussing the same plays or not, but I noticed 2 of the "first down drops" were all DBs.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not just you Bird. Our DBs are playing lights out. The best I have seen in a very long time!

17 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Haven't rewatched the game but there were also several PBU that on replay showed the DBs ripping the ball out after it was in the receivers hands in perfect timing. Not sure if we are discussing the same plays or not, but I noticed 2 of the "first down drops" were all DBs.

I think it was a mixed bag of really good plays and having a bit of luck. But all that really matters is the result and definitely no complaints there!

On 10/3/2017 at 1:07 PM, Linayus said:

Some of our secondary play is still suspect. Several PBUs were more on the receiver not being able to hang on to the ball than anything our DBs did. Carlton Davis is still getting picked on and he still doesn't look like the All-SEC player we expected  

Wasn’t Carlton Davis on the national defensive team of the week this week? Different thread. Someone disagrees with this assessment

Archived