Heisman Trophy

AUApostle

I hope he is around to win it next year but if he continues on the path he is on right now (getting better every week) he will be one and done. I am not sure that is a good idea but I would say it's 50/50 or better right now.

4 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I hope he is around to win it next year but if he continues on the path he is on right now (getting better every week) he will be one and done. I am not sure that is a good idea but I would say it's 50/50 or better right now.

It'll be tough on a pocket QB next year to lose Braden and Austin.  I'm guessing we also lose Dunn, James, and Bell?  That's rough.

No Heisman this year. He sticks around for next year. Not enough tape on him for NFL scouts. He only played a couple of games at Baylor and got hurt. This is his first true year of starting. He has this year and two more years of eligibility left. He plays next year, then leaves. Plus there are a lot of QB's coming out this year with way more experience - Sam Darnold of USC, Josh Rosen of UCLA,  Luke Falk of Washington St, Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma St, Lamar Jackson of Louisville, Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma and Josh Allen of Wyoming just to name a few.

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

It'll be tough on a pocket QB next year to lose Braden and Austin.  I'm guessing we also lose Dunn, James, and Bell?  That's rough.

Ouch. 

Too early. The flakey sports media are at this point trumpeting Penn State's RB Saquon Barkley for a special teams TD when he only rushed for 56 yds in 20 attempts against Indiana(!) and Baker Mayfield is a public relations nightmare waiting to happen for Okie, so nobody's running away with anything yet. If he keeps steady then torches some media-anointed D, he's in the conversation. 

50 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Too early. The flakey sports media are at this point trumpeting Penn State's RB Saquon Barkley for a special teams TD when he only rushed for 56 yds in 20 attempts against Indiana(!) and Baker Mayfield is a public relations nightmare waiting to happen for Okie, so nobody's running away with anything yet. If he keeps steady then torches some media-anointed D, he's in the conversation. 

You left out that Barkley had 54 receiving yards in that game too.  Did you miss Barkley's performance against Iowa the week before?  28 carries, 211 yards - 12 catches, 94 yards.

He's averaging 114 rushing yards per game and 77 receiving per game (out of the backfield!).  Add in the kick returns, and you get an average of 242 all purpose yards per game so far this season.  He's also had at least 100 yards combined receiving/rushing in every game this season.

The guy is a beast.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

You left out that Barkley had 54 receiving yards in that game too.  Did you miss Barkley's performance against Iowa the week before?  28 carries, 211 yards - 12 catches, 94 yards.

He's averaging 114 rushing yards per game and 77 receiving per game (out of the backfield!).  Add in the kick returns, and you get an average of 242 all purpose yards per game so far this season.  He's also had at least 100 yards combined receiving/rushing in every game this season.

The guy is a beast.

Only one team Penn State played has a winning record right now, 3-2 juggernaut Iowa. (Akron, Pitt, Ga State, Ia & Indiana? A beast among sheep).

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I think those guys are all Seniors so we will have, Tega, Horton, Ashley, Sharp and Harrell from our top 2 OL depth. I think Ashley will do great but we will still need to replace the other two. It may factor in his decision.

No, definitely not this year. Unless he starts putting up large TD numbers, accuracy numbers arent going to do it. 

He also still makes some mistakes that seem to indicate he still is not comfortable in the pocket (on his fumble last week, the pressure was really not there, but he rolled right into the DE pressuring causing him to try to force a throw away).

It will be hard even next year, as long as GM wants to shove the ball down opponents throats. He is not a DT QB that Gus can really utilize like Willis. Stidham can keep them honest at times with a run, but he is not going to be called upon much to run the HUNH and the RPO.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Only one team Penn State played has a winning record right now, 3-2 juggernaut Iowa. (Akron, Pitt, Ga State, Ia & Indiana? A beast among sheep).

Honest question here.  Have you seen Penn State play?  Watch the guy.  He's clearly one of the best offensive players in college football right now.  Another LeVeon Bell type of player and a rare top-10 pick as a running back in the NFL next year.

There's only one team who has played at least three good opponents (Clemson).  It's September, so you have to assume there will be cupcakes on the schedule.  And you can't fault him for playing Indiana as that's a conference game.  By the way, Iowa was 3-0 when Penn State beat them and Barkley put up that monster game.

Slim to none shot IMO unless we start throwing it more and scoring TDs through the air. Plus down the stretch when teams take away the screen and bomb I'm not sure how much we will attack the intermediate part of the field -- him being effective there considering his deep ball prowess would help in a Heisman quest IMO

Not happening and he's not going to the NFL next year. Maybe we are not watching the same QB. He's improving but far from this type of talk.

Yeah hate to say it but he has no shot at the Heisman this year. Not enough TDs or yards. Also not getting the national attention that Mayfield Barkley Jackson and others are getting. Maybe if he keeps improving he will have a better shot next year but still a long shot IMO. To me I could care less as long has he keeps winning us games and hitting the deep ball. 

5 hours ago, selias said:

Serious.jpg

JS is a long way from the nfl right now....which is good for AU''s future.

I dont think a QB at Auburn will be winning a heisman anytime soon unless he is a true D/T Qb.Mainly because running will probaly be the only way he gets alot of TD's,since we seem to never want to throw in the red zone.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Honest question here.  Have you seen Penn State play?  Watch the guy.  He's clearly one of the best offensive players in college football right now.  Another LeVeon Bell type of player and a rare top-10 pick as a running back in the NFL next year.

There's only one team who has played at least three good opponents (Clemson).  It's September, so you have to assume there will be cupcakes on the schedule.  And you can't fault him for playing Indiana as that's a conference game.  By the way, Iowa was 3-0 when Penn State beat them and Barkley put up that monster game.

Honest question. Are you related to "the beast"? And do you watch any teams OTHER than State Penn? Cause there are a dozen guys with a first half of the season like him that aren't getting his boxer sniffing enterage. Hey, he might do it for the entire season. More power to him 

I like Stidham and I think he'll be great before his time at AU is done, but I think he's got a ways to go.  Let's see how he does on the road at LSU and A&M.  Then he'll face especially tough defenses in GA and UA.  We'll know for sure by then.  I'm hoping he'll be good in the big games.  That's when he'll show his true worth.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Honest question. Are you related to "the beast"? And do you watch any teams OTHER than State Penn? Cause there are a dozen guys with a first half of the season like him that aren't getting his boxer sniffing enterage. Hey, he might do it for the entire season. More power to him 

Wow, you got snarky fast.  I was honestly asking if you had seen the guy before commenting on how the media is anointing him.  But I guess this is what happens when someone posts back calling your premise out by using stats.

As for your dozen other guys doing it comments, not really.  He leads the NCAA in All Purpose Yards per game, and of anyone in the top three, his yard distribution is by far the most balanced, meaning he is affecting the game in multiple facets.  But don't let the facts get in the way here (see link below for list).

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/20

And if you must know, I watch games from 11 am until well past midnight every week.  It's a sickness.

Saquon is incredible, Baker looks transcendent, Kelly Bryant is doing fantastic and has balled against 3 Top 15 teams, Jalen is doing solid, Fromm is a freshman phenom, even Kenny Trill is undefeated  

stidham will likely have a favorable case next year though. More cohesive OL, developed receivers, two years in the offense. He'll probably be the favorite 

Archived