Eligibility

OffensiveAlchemy

only way we will know is from an inside source like RIR or PTB or when the University spills the beans. It seems to many like one player is Purifoy. The other is not clear. Shoot Purifoy might even be clean. The way some analysts make it sound, each situation is very unique to itself, but the NCAA has let guys off kind of easy for this type of thing before (only having to payback the money they took).

10 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

only way we will know is from an inside source like RIR or PTB or when the University spills the beans. It seems to many like one player is Purifoy. The other is not clear. Shoot Purifoy might even be clean. The way some analysts make it sound, each situation is very unique to itself, but the NCAA has let guys off kind of easy for this type of thing before (only having to payback the money they took).

Unless your Auburn and looking at a #1 seed in the tourney.... Chris Porter remembers...

"Porter reportedly accepted $2,500 to save his mother from being evicted from her home and claimed he did not know the person was affiliated with any sports agency."

He was suspended for the final 8 games of the season and of his career 

Pretty sure when/if something comes out it will be posted here.  That's how it usually works.  Until then its all just speculation. 

I know the team has to do due diligence to protect both the players and the school, but it would seem the sooner they decide who is eligible the sooner they can start planning the season to come up with the best game plan and position for each player to get the best product on the floor.  This is a decision the school has to make without waiting for the NCAA as if they allow the players who might be ineligible to play and then NCAA rules they are ineligible that might have to forfeit games.  The NCAA is notoriously slow on this which puts the onus on Auburn administration whether that is fair or not. 

9 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Unless your Auburn and looking at a #1 seed in the tourney.... Chris Porter remembers...

"Porter reportedly accepted $2,500 to save his mother from being evicted from her home and claimed he did not know the person was affiliated with any sports agency."

I also have remembered this and have wondered how schools like the turds can have a coach give money to a player like ha-ha and have him reinstated.  

10 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Man that hurt my heart when that happened.

However, that was a different era where this type of thing was widely considered as cheating. Now I think with roughly half the general public thinking these kids need to get some sort of monetary compensation for their hard work and money they earn for the school. So the perception of this type of thing has softened a bit IMO. Just imagine sympathy the media would have for a kid who took $2500 (that's nothing compared the type of money being thrown around to recruits) to help his mom facing eviction. I could see the Outside the Lines with Bob Ley episode now...

Crossing my fingers that our guys just have to pay money back. But doesn't the timing of this feel weird? No way the NCAA will order the kids to give the money back before the season starts without doing an umpteen year investigation. So wouldn't we have to know pretty fast if they could just repay the money and remain eligible? Or else we risk playing ineligible players, right?

My guess is we let the players practice but don't play them in any games until we hear something from NCAA. If that is the case then we would need to give the ones we know are eligible more time together.

16 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

I still remember the "DUNK"

the end of his career was a huge let down 

I've been wondering about the ramifications of this thing as well. 

Could it be as simple as replacing Person, having families pay back any money received, and then get back to the great season we were all anticipating?

If the FBI says no other AU employee was involved, and if the money is paid back, is it possible the NCAA would leave it at that?

22 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Could it be as simple as replacing Person, having families pay back any money received, and then get back to the great season we were all anticipating?

If the FBI says no other AU employee was involved, and if the money is paid back, is it possible the NCAA would leave it at that?

That sounds like the best possible outcome.....but with so much national publicity about the issue I can't see the NCAA letting schools off that easily. 

Since only one or two serious basketball schools are involved thus far, I see the NCAA using this as a chance to send a message to everyone without having much effect on the season and the tournament.. ...no wrist slap IMO.

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Hello ncaa, this is the FBI we are confiscating your books.

What are all these phone calls to tuscalooser?

The Dept of Justice (DOJ) is investigating and told Auburn on day one that if they interviewed any players regarding this matter, it would be considered obstruction of justice for interfering in their investigation.  Auburn has not been told who the two players are, and cannot ask any questions to find out.  Since we do NOT positively know who the players are, we have no idea who not to play.  The DOJ investigation will probably last past this basketball season, and we may not know who the players are until the investigation is concluded.  As many other teams are potentially  going to be in this same situation, there is a chance that the NCAA will grant blanket immunity to teams who play players before they are identified.  It is important to remember that 98% (yes that's correct) of the NCAA's income is from the men's basketball tournament, and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds it.

8 hours ago, im4aual said:

The Dept of Justice (DOJ) is investigating and told Auburn on day one that if they interviewed any players regarding this matter, it would be considered obstruction of justice for interfering in their investigation.  Auburn has not been told who the two players are, and cannot ask any questions to find out.  Since we do NOT positively know who the players are, we have no idea who not to play.  The DOJ investigation will probably last past this basketball season, and we may not know who the players are until the investigation is concluded.  As many other teams are potentially  going to be in this same situation, there is a chance that the NCAA will grant blanket immunity to teams who play players before they are identified.  It is important to remember that 98% (yes that's correct) of the NCAA's income is from the men's basketball tournament, and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds it.

Thats' a good point but only one school under investigation (known at this time) is a factor in national basketball so NCAA is not risking much ...or any revenue by coming down hard on the other schools.  The other schools...with possible exception of Arizona are minor players and their slots in the bottom half of the 64 teams will be easy to fill....not going to cost NCAA anything.

Louisville is already pretty much done...no mystery that they are going to be sanctioned.

9 hours ago, im4aual said:

If all that holds true, then AU has no choice but to play everybody and let the chips fall whenever the investigation is over. The only other option is to bench every player and cancel the season. Might as well forfeit the games next summer after it's done with, "same difference".

10 hours ago, im4aual said:

It is important to remember that 98% (yes that's correct) of the NCAA's income is from the men's basketball tournament, and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds it.

It's a lot but it's not 98 percent.  Last audited figure places income from broadcast rights to the NCAA tourney at 81 percent. May be higher now, but still not 98 percent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ncaa+revenue+sources

I say we should just play everybody. If we have to forfeit games retroactively that's kind of an "eye roll" type of punishment anyway.

On October 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Tiger said:

I say we should just play everybody. If we have to forfeit games retroactively that's kind of an "eye roll" type of punishment anyway.

I see it more seriously than an eye roll but I don't think we even have a choice.  We have to play them unless they voluntarily leave the team to help the sanctions when they do come down.....won't happen though 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I see it more seriously than an eye roll but I don't think we even have a choice.  We have to play them unless they voluntarily leave the team to help the sanctions when they do come down.....won't happen though 

I guess my thought was the school can use deductive reasoning to pinpoint who the 2 unnamed players are and then decide to hold them out. Or just flatly ask them, I'm sure Bruce has great relationships with all the players' parents and maybe he could get them to admit who it was if we were really trying to avoid playing ineligible players.

But since this is so potentially widespread there's a chance the NCAA (in however many years) will just give everyone somewhat of a pass, but if the only punishment we could be facing is forfeiting games retroactively and not deal with any sort of probation or scholarship reductions I'm all in for letting everyone play.

It's not ideal to forfeit games from X number of years ago but I also don't think that really affects much in the here and now. JMO though.

Screw the forfeit of games- I want to just see Auburn win basketball games. If we have to give up wins later, then so be it- I'll remember the games we won and the moments from those games anyways 

5 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Screw the forfeit of games- I want to just see Auburn win basketball games. If we have to give up wins later, then so be it- I'll remember the games we won and the moments from those games anyways 

That's the thing: If the coach doesn't know exactly who is under investigation he'd have to bench every player on the squad to be safe. Either the NCAA comes out with a ruling pre-season or everybody plays their entire roster and hopes for the best.

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's the thing: If the coach doesn't know exactly who is under investigation he'd have to bench every player on the squad to be safe. Either the NCAA comes out with a ruling pre-season or everybody plays their entire roster and hopes for the best.

We'ren't there reports that the athletics department was able to determine who the players are who were involved in the investigation?

On 10/15/2017 at 10:57 PM, Mikey said:

Unless the players admitted it ahead of time. That would avoid any win forfeiture and prevent any extra sanctions AU could get for playing ineligible players when they knew they were ineligible.

16 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Unless the players admitted it ahead of time. That would avoid any win forfeiture and prevent any extra sanctions AU could get for playing ineligible players when they knew they were ineligible.

Not sure that's true....over the years many teams have had to forfeit games for playing ineligible players...sometimes going back several years after the player was already gone. Mostly the schools ignore it unless some other penalty comes with it.  

Check this link...it's amazing..   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vacated_and_forfeited_games_in_college_basketball

Archived