Sign in to follow this  
StatTiger

Notes going into Week #6

Recommended Posts

 

  • Auburn's defense has allowed a 3rd down conversion rate of 17.6% during the first quarter, 42.3% during the second, 16.7% during the third and 40.9% during the final quarter.

 

  • 44.4 percent of the sacks allowed this season have occurred on third down. The vertical passing on early downs has been a great adjustment.

 

  • Auburn has allowed 3.5 yards per play during the first-half and 4.0 yards per play during the second-half.

 

  • Auburn gained 232-yards on 25 first down plays but 163-yards came off three plays. The Tigers gained only 69-yards on their remaining 22 first down snaps. Auburn gave up 5 negative plays on first down, the most this season.

 

  • During the last three games, the Auburn offense has generated 24 plays of 15-yards or more. The average distance of these 24 impact plays is 36.5 yards. If Auburn can duplicate their running game from 2016, this offense will become difficult to defend.

 

  • Kamryn Pettway averages 3.4 yards per rush and Malik Miller is averaging 4.8 yards. Until Pettway is fully recovered, Miller needs to replace Pettway as Auburn's inside runner. Kerryon Johnson is healthier this week than last week. Pettway is working through issues with his feet and ankle.

 

  • Auburn currently has FOUR receivers averaging over 20-yards per reception. This will place a lot of pressure on opposing defenses.

 

  • During his three games, Jarrett Stidham is completing 83 percent of his passes for 11.8 yards per attempt. There is no doubt he is becoming more confident in the offense. Keep in mind he is basically a freshman in terms of playing experience and a redshirt sophomore based on time.

 

  • During the last three games, Jarrett Stidham has completed 25 of 28 first down passes for an astonishing 16.8 yards per attempt.

 

  • During the first 3 games of the season, Jarrett Stidham was 1 of 10 throwing beyond 20-yards of the line of scrimmage for 27-yards. During the last two games, Stidham is 7 of 10 for 367-yards.

 

  • 72 of Pettway and Johnson's combined 117 carries have netted 3 yards or less (61.5 percent).

 

  • Auburn was 5 of 8 in short-yardage situations (2-yards or less) against the Bulldogs, the lowest percentage this season (61.5%). It will be interesting to see if Chip Lindsey comes up with a short-yardage and red zone package with Malik Willis in the Wildcat set.

 

  • On a positive note, Auburn gained 142-yards in short-yardage situations against MSU. Coming into the game, Auburn had gained 92-yards during the previous four games combined.

 

  • Auburn's linebackers registered 27 tackles against MSU, a season high for the linebackers. This was without the services of Tre Williams who should be back for the Ole Miss game.

 

  • Only 18 percent of the snaps defended by the Auburn defense this season has been part of a scoring drive against the Tiger defense. Kevin Steele has this defense dialed in for success in 2017.

 

  • During the last two games, Auburn is 9 for 9 inside the red zone with all possessions resulting in a touchdown.

 

  • Auburn has averaged 3.4 points per opponent's turnovers and have allowed 2 points for each of their own miscues. If the defense continues success in forcing turnovers, it will move into the "elite" status.

 

  • From 1992-2017, Auburn has now gained over 500-yards in offense in conference play, thirty times. Of the 30 games of 500-yards or more, 17 have come under Gus Malzahn's offense.

 

  • Auburn had a pass-rating of 120.4 on first down during the first two games and a rating of 246.4 during the last three games. Success on first down is always the mark of a great offense.

 

  • Auburn is now 20-0 versus Mississippi State when scoring at least 7 points during the first quarter from 1981-2017.

 

  • Malzahn's offense at Auburn has now totaled 31 games of 500-yards or more on offense and 37 games, scoring at least 40 points.

 

War Eagle!

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Love it, thanks! I hope facing a terrible run defense in Ole Miss results in MMiller and DBarrett running a thunder and lightning show. Crossing my fingers for that ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hoping each week brings improvement. I really like the idea of a running game developing that mirrors previous years. If that happens- watch out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

During the last two games, Auburn is 9 for 9 inside the red zone with all possessions resulting in a touchdown.

We can win a lot of ball games if we keep this up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m hoping to see a lot of Malik Miller and none of Pettway this week.  Gus needs Bubba healthy for the home stretch.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

 

  • 72 of Pettway and Johnson's combined 117 carries have netted 3 yards or less (61.5 percent).

 

Yikes! That's just bad.

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yikes! That's just bad.

Yes that stat was awful . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Kamryn Pettway averages 3.4 yards per rush and Malik Miller is averaging 4.8 yards. Until Pettway is fully recovered, Miller needs to replace Pettway as Auburn's inside runner. Kerryon Johnson is healthier this week than last week. Pettway is working through issues with his feet and ankle.

Winner!

Also, I wonder if the following is the result of Gus getting a big lead and getting unnecessarily conservative. 

2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Auburn gained 232-yards on 25 first down plays but 163-yards came off three plays. The Tigers gained only 69-yards on their remaining 22 first down snaps. Auburn gave up 5 negative plays on first down, the most this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I’m hoping to see a lot of Malik Miller and none of Pettway this week.  Gus needs Bubba healthy for the home stretch.  

Amen to that. I didn't like seeing us force feed Bubba one bit. Felt the same about KJ once it was clear we were running away with the game last week. 

Like i stated in another thread...i was about to come on here and ask who's dog did Miller kill b/c even Devan was getting some carries even though it has been in passing situations. It's beyond me why we wouldn't want to get a RB like Miller some touches b/c although we've seen a small sample size, the kid takes advantage of the carries he gets. I understand blocking is key with RBs but the Oline was having a good game and we were missing out on some good yards b/c KP and KJ couldn't hit the holes like they normally could when healthy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StatTiger said:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • .

 

  • 72 of Pettway and Johnson's combined 117 carries have netted 3 yards or 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

 

 

how many of those came against clemson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

how many of those came against clemson?

Sad thing is a lot came against GaSo and Mercer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

 

 

  • Auburn's defense has allowed a 3rd down conversion rate of 17.6% during the first quarter, 42.3% during the second, 16.7% during the third and 40.9% during the final quarter.

 

This is exactly what you want. Stout D to start the game.  The offense has to make adjustments (reflected by the increase in Q2), then the D responds well to the adjustments (Q3), then an increase in Q4 because we’re playing conservative D with 3rd stringers because we’re beating the other team by 30+ points!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Sad thing is a lot came against GaSo and Mercer

Yep. 

Here is what I expect to see tomorrow: KJ will start. We will see less KP and more Miller. We will run the ball a lot tomorrow to work on the run and because OM is terrible at stopping the run.

Also... While I think our D will struggle at times tomorrow, they will make the plays to win the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally discount everything Offensively, prior to Missouri. Different O, different team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you graph the difficulty of the remainder of our conference schedule, you'd see a strait line from here to UAT, save that LSU may be a touch better than Arky. Each week gets a little tougher and a little more important. Hope the run-game, o'line, and game planning can improve incrimently each week from here to there. War Eagle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yikes! That's just bad.

That has been my frustration.  Kam has shown nothing but explosion and he has been underutilized.   I understand he was hurt last week but no excuses for not playing him.  .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jAUSon said:

If you graph the difficulty of the remainder of our conference schedule, you'd see a strait line from here to UAT, save that LSU may be a touch better than Arky. Each week gets a little tougher and a little more important. Hope the run-game, o'line, and game planning can improve incrimently each week from here to there. War Eagle.

Good to great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Malik Millers coming out party tomorrow.  Not sure the yardage but I expect 15 carries or more

I agree completely.  He and Barrett especially should get a bulk of the carries.  Should sit Pettway for this game and limit KJ unless absolutely necessary.  My only concern with Miller and Barrett is hanging on to the football.  This is their big chance to shine.  Have to take care of the football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Yep. 

Here is what I expect to see tomorrow: KJ will start. We will see less KP and more Miller. We will run the ball a lot tomorrow to work on the run and because OM is terrible at stopping the run.

Also... While I think our D will struggle at times tomorrow, they will make the plays to win the game. 

This seems reasonable and I hope you’re right!

I have no explanation for why MM hasn’t been more involved up to this point. KMart and Barrett have looked good in their limited action as well.  I wanna see a lot more of these guys this week and rest KP, and KJ as much as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this