Chip calling games like this...

WarDamnEagleWDE

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

To some on here,  not till we beat Thuga and the turds by 30 or more.

Find one single poster on here that said that.  No one expects to beat uga or uat by 30 but it would be nice if for once we came out and looked like a competent football team against them.  Good grief. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the "give Gus a fair shake and being positive me" saw today...

First, team came out ready to play especially offensively and proved me wrong about being sluggish because of the start time and opponent.  Kudos to the staff for having them ready. 

First half offense was more creative and well executed than I've seen from a Gus team in quite a while.   I loved the mix and there were several times I thought we went against our tendencies and crossed up OM.  

Despite being a bit sluggish and seemingly confused at times the defense still held a good passing offense to only 3 points.  How many times in the last several years would we have begged for a "poor" defensive performance where we only gave up 3 when it mattered.  

Stidham is improving.  The O line is improving.  The WR's seem to be improving.  We saw some Kam Martin for a change of pace.  

What the "skeptical of this good run and Gus" me saw today...

The typical take your foot off the gas Gus offense in the 2nd half.  Frustrating but I kinda understand it.  Sumlin took a lot of crap for blowing that 2nd half lead against UCLA and part of that was not running down the clock and limiting UCLA's possessions.  Gus probably did the smart thing here with a big lead but I don't understand why we didn't see more MW at QB in the 2nd half.   

Defense was sloppy all the way through and we had a hard time matching up with their WR's.  Good news is I'm not sure we will face WR's like that the rest of the way.  They also helped our D out with some dropped passes.  We need to clean up our tackling and get back to getting those TFL's.  

The Wildcat needs to be scrapped!!! Teams know exactly whats coming when we get in that formation.  Makes no sense.  

Still a lot of predictable play calling that I worry will cost us down the road.  

Overall there is little doubt this team has improved offensively.  Even taking into account the 3 bad teams we have faced its pretty obvious they are executing better and JS is feeling more confident.  If only we could get a healthy KP to go along with what KJ is doing, oh my that would be fun to watch.  

The D is scaring me a bit with some bad angles and missed tackles but I think they will still be solid down the stretch.  I feel like there will be a game though where the O will really need to win it.  

Many AU fans are talking about running through these next 3 games on the road unbeaten and facing uga with only one loss.  I think we better slow our roll and understand that no SEC road game is a gimme.  LSU was revitalized today and A&M gave bama a pretty good fight as well.  I am enjoying what this team is doing but I am still skeptical this team will finish with more than 8 wins.  I don't wanna turn into the Iowa of the SEC where the fanbase is ok with 8 or 9 wins and only occasionally contending and beating our rivals.  In over 30 years of being an Auburn fan I have never seen an Auburn team fall to uga and uat 4 straight years.  8 wins and losing to the important teams is not acceptable at Auburn, or at least it shouldn't be.  Lets take a big step and finally get over the hump in BR next week!! WDE.  

14 hours ago, doverstutts said:

:ucrazy:not even halfway decent

Much like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

For me, my biggest complaint wasn't so much the play calls during the 2nd half or the lack of execution, but rather the players that we were asking to execute them. No way JS or KJ should've been out there after the 3rd qtr.

Auburn missed a great opportunity to develop MW and give him some meaningful reps.  Let him actually throw the ball against an SEC defense that doesn’t have the same jerseys as us.

Nice to see Kmart and MM carry the ball and KP get some much needed rest.

I am here to bitch about our favorite play. 2nd and 9.....

After any explosive play, we run a HUNH run play up the middle for a one yard gain.  Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

I dont even know if this is the best place to post this, but we have to find our killer instinct to be a playoff team. Maybe it was just being an early game?

We should have been calling plays to score before half and the second half was just pathetic. It was like the coaches and players were ready to get to the locker room once we had 35 pts on the board. To top it off we missed a huge opportunity to get Willis some great PT while accomplishing nothing keeping Stidham in the game. We should be a Top 10 team this week - I hope we start playing like a Top 5 beginning with LSU!

BTW - anyone catch that great SLANT Ole Miss ran against us for a first down?

Nice to be able to complain about the details!

17 hours ago, doverstutts said:

:ucrazy:not even halfway decent

Just admit you hate Gus and think he can't do anything right and move on. You Gus haters are really starting to get on my nerves. I know we didn't play well early on but we are rolling against SEC teams now. IT's sad that you can't be happy about the way we are playing right now. Your missing some fun.

1 minute ago, bg5 said:

Just admit you hate Gus and think he can't do anything right and move on. You Gus haters are really starting to get on my nerves. I know we didn't play well early on but we are rolling against SEC teams now. IT's sad that you can't be happy about the way we are playing right now. Your missing some fun.

You Gus lovers are really getting on our nerves.  Yeah we are rolling against the dregs of the SEC.  Thats a fact whether you want to admit it or not.  Gus has not earned the benefit of the doubt the last 3 years.  He can earn it by beating someone we are not supposed to beat.  He can earn it by beating at least one of our friggin rivals instead of dropping 8 STRAIGHT.  In 30 plus years of being an Auburn fan I have never seen us lose to those bozos 8 STRAIGHT.  Think about it, the last time we beat those two teams was 4 years ago and it took two of the most miraculous plays in Auburn history to do that!  I had a ball of fun watching that game yesterday because my enjoyment of the games is not tied to any loyalty to the guy we pay 4 million plus a year to win those games.  He is doing what he is SUPPOSED to do and I'm not going to pat the guy on the back for doing his job.   As I have said multiple times any idiot should be able to take the Auburn job and on talent alone beat Mizzou, MSU and OM EVERY SINGLE YEAR.  

Tell us what you really think...?

My Biggest takeaways from the game.   Positives) good blocking in first half.   Great catches by Slayton.    KJ looks like he is getting his legs back.  

Negatives) playing calling on the last possession before half.  After first possession in 2nd half, not putting Malik in at QB and running the offense.   Tackling and lack of pass rush

Does anyone think Georgia has been this good in a LONG time? That, along with always good Bama will be tough even if Meyer was our coach. Tough year to say we will fire him if we lose to possibly the 1 and 3 team in the country (actually may be 1,2 and 3). I want to win but “them some lofty expectations”. No coach has had to face anything as tough as this in the country.

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Does anyone think Georgia has been this good in a LONG time? That, along with always good Bama will be tough even if Meyer was our coach. Tough year to say we will fire him if we lose to possibly the 1 and 3 team in the country (actually may be 1,2 and 3). I want to win but “them some lofty expectations”. No coach has had to face anything as tough as this in the country.

Loser's mentality.  The SEC has always been tough.  We have been at the top and have proven as a program we can compete.  I can't believe how many Auburn folks are willing to give up on beating our rivals just because they are good.  I hope the PTB at AU don't share this attitude of defeatism.  You think Coach Dye would allow his teams to think that way?  

Then I’m a loser. I just know if the team looks good in those games and still loses, I don’t want Malzahn fired.  I want the same staff for at least two, maybe three years. I don’t see ANY available coach that can walk into this situation and be what some want for a long time. I could be wrong. I am wrong a lot when?. 

1 hour ago, AUcivE09 said:

I dont even know if this is the best place to post this, but we have to find our killer instinct to be a playoff team. Maybe it was just being an early game?

We should have been calling plays to score before half and the second half was just pathetic. It was like the coaches and players were ready to get to the locker room once we had 35 pts on the board. To top it off we missed a huge opportunity to get Willis some great PT while accomplishing nothing keeping Stidham in the game. We should be a Top 10 team this week - I hope we start playing like a Top 5 beginning with LSU!

BTW - anyone catch that great SLANT Ole Miss ran against us for a first down?

Nice to be able to complain about the details!

Totally agree.

wde

16 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

That's how I feel. I feel like we aren't consistent enough to assume we will only have 1 loss going into UGA.

Why can't CGM allow the team to play for 4 quarters...regardless of the score. You have to compete and produce for 4 quarters if you want to reach the same level that Georgia is currently playing. After the big return at the start of the 2nd Half, the next play should have been into the endzone not 3 points. It is frustrating that CGM just plain quit going vertical! That will not work the rest of the season. It just must not be in his DNA.

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Totally agree.

wde

Yes...I am hoping the coaching staff caught the fact that someone, appeared to be OM tight end, was just sitting all alone multiple times waiting for a pitch and catch.

5-1 and undefeated in the sec. offense is improving every week. i like the direction auburn is heading in but do wish we had the killer instinct and when we can name the score, do so. no reason for 9 pts in the second half and give up more than 6-10 yesterday 

44 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I'm still not convinced Georgia is a great team. They are without a doubt better than past couple years but beating up on vandy, Mizzou and Ms St and a 1pt victory over Notre Dame is absolutely no more impressive than our current resume.

26 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Then I’m a loser. I just know if the team looks good in those games and still loses, I don’t want Malzahn fired.  I want the same staff for at least two, maybe three years. I don’t see ANY available coach that can walk into this situation and be what some want for a long time. I could be wrong. I am wrong a lot when?. 

You nor anyone else have any idea if there is a better coach out there. But we will know after five years what we have in Gus if he manages to lose 4 or more AGAIN. 

Just now, Jgarrett7 said:

I'm still not convinced Georgia is a great team. They are without a doubt better than past couple years but beating up on vandy, Mizzou and Ms St and a 1pt victory over Notre Dame is absolutely no more impressive than our current resume.

I agree up to the Notre Dame comment. Irish have looked pretty good and thats a quality road win for uga. The Dawgs probably won't be tested again until they come to JHS.

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I agree up to the Notre Dame comment. Irish have looked pretty good and thats a quality road win for uga. The Dawgs probably won't be tested again until they come to JHS.

Notre Dame isn't probably the most consistently overrated team in college football. They are no where near the same caliber opponent as Clemson. Now, that said, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. UGA is undefeated and we have a loss. My point was just that I don't believe they are a great team and a very beatable opponent. 

Just now, Jgarrett7 said:

Notre Dame isn't probably the most consistently overrated team in college football. They are no where near the same caliber opponent as Clemson. Now, that said, a win is a win and a loss is a loss. UGA is undefeated and we have a loss. My point was just that I don't believe they are a great team and a very beatable opponent. 

We will agree to disagree then. They look good to me. But with the exception of the ND game their resume is no better than ours.

Who was doing the play calling in that 2 half? Gus or Chip? either way, it was down right awful. OM who scored just 3 points against uat, scored 23 (20 in the 2nd half). Our offense wasn't much better in the 2nd half either. Just 3 FG's. Have mercy.

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Who was doing the play calling in that 2 half? Gus or Chip? either way, it was down right awful. OM who scored just 3 points against uat, scored 23 (20 in the 2nd half). Our offense wasn't much better in the 2nd half either. Just 3 FG's. Have mercy.

Eexactly what I think when I read your post.

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

UGA hasn’t been that great the last two years and we loss to them . He has lost the benefit of a doubt card.

Archived