Chip calling games like this...

WarDamnEagleWDE

23 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

You nor anyone else have any idea if there is a better coach out there. But we will know after five years what we have in Gus if he manages to lose 4 or more AGAIN. 

You are correct. I am older and just have a different mentality. I prefer to wait it out unless it’s really bad. In 2012 I wanted Chizik gone because I thought he lost the team. I haven’t seen that yet (even in the worst year). Trust me, there are as many in my family who see it your way.  It makes for some great discussions when all get together. As someone else wrote here, it’s just my opinion. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just think. Coach either keeps his foot on the gas or gets MW real meaningful reps with good plays, and none of this conversation is even taking place. I remember the fire gus crowd got fired up week 2, but we all now know college football as a whole and Auburn politics is not allowing a window to fire him. So we just wish he'd change a little. Every time a person deservingly puts this opinion on the board, the defenders take him out of context badly. The ones bitching about the bitchers are the ones bitching the most this weekend. 

Just now, jAUSon said:

Just think. Coach either keeps his foot on the gas or gets MW real meaningful reps with good plays, and none of this conversation is even taking place. I remember the fire gus crowd got fired up week 2, but we all now know college football as a whole and Auburn politics is not allowing a window to fire him. So we just wish he'd change a little. Every time a person deservingly puts this opinion on the board, the defenders take him out of context badly. The ones bitching about the bitchers are the ones bitching the most this weekend. 

Yep. I have repeatedly said I don't want Gus fired in the middle of a season. At the END of this year we will have a 5 year sample size on him. If, and its a big if right now because the team is playing well, we end up with 4 or 5 losses and he is 1-4 against uga and uat then I think we need some soul searching. Like it or not the record against those 2 teams matters. If that happens, I don't know if there is a better coach out there or not, its an unknown....but Gus will be a known and four straight 8-5 or worse seasons speak for themselves.

30 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Yep. I have repeatedly said I don't want Gus fired in the middle of a season. At the END of this year we will have a 5 year sample size on him. If, and its a big if right now because the team is playing well, we end up with 4 or 5 losses and he is 1-4 against uga and uat then I think we need some soul searching. Like it or not the record against those 2 teams matters. If that happens, I don't know if there is a better coach out there or not, its an unknown....but Gus will be a known and four straight 8-5 or worse seasons speak for themselves.

Gus needs to do this 04f85f0ef4d2ce4e232820ded0ca9e41.gif

We would of been better off if Gus had never been a very successful playcaller. He is stubborn and cannot let that go. He still wants to be Sean Payton and be that great head coach who calls his teams plays. Honestly guys like Dabo and Urban are better off. They have never called plays before so they do not have these delusions of grandeur of wanting so badly to call plays. Gus even though he still cannot see it is way more like dabo and Urban which is a successful CEO head coach. He is really good at it and COULD be great if he realizes this.  If he would take the approach he did with the defense which is hire a great staff and GET OUT OF THE WAY the offense and this team would be a lot better suited. Even though you can tell Chip is calling the plays Gus's influence is still clearly seen with all the runs up the middle after first down.... This is still not close to Chips real offense. 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

My Biggest takeaways from the game.   Positives) good blocking in first half.   Great catches by Slayton.    KJ looks like he is getting his legs back.  

Negatives) playing calling on the last possession before half.  After first possession in 2nd half, not putting Malik in at QB and running the offense.   Tackling and lack of pass rush

Thank you for simply telling it like it is minus all the girlish whining. And no offense to our women here. I think they have been spot on!

3 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

You Gus lovers are really getting on our nerves.  Yeah we are rolling against the dregs of the SEC.  Thats a fact whether you want to admit it or not.  Gus has not earned the benefit of the doubt the last 3 years.  He can earn it by beating someone we are not supposed to beat.  He can earn it by beating at least one of our friggin rivals instead of dropping 8 STRAIGHT.  In 30 plus years of being an Auburn fan I have never seen us lose to those bozos 8 STRAIGHT.  Think about it, the last time we beat those two teams was 4 years ago and it took two of the most miraculous plays in Auburn history to do that!  I had a ball of fun watching that game yesterday because my enjoyment of the games is not tied to any loyalty to the guy we pay 4 million plus a year to win those games.  He is doing what he is SUPPOSED to do and I'm not going to pat the guy on the back for doing his job.   As I have said multiple times any idiot should be able to take the Auburn job and on talent alone beat Mizzou, MSU and OM EVERY SINGLE YEAR.  

You Gus haters are really getting on my nerves. Early in the year you guys said we couldn't beat the teams we are beating. Now we are not just beating them we are destroying them. You play the schedule you have you can't do anything about that. I sure hope that whoever you want to replace Gus with is so great that we never lose to Ga. or Bama. I am sure that if it happens even once you will want them to be fired. I'm 53 so I have few years on you one thing I would advice is that you chill out a little and stop attacking everyone that doesn't agree with you. People can have a different opinion and it still be ok. I am fine with you wanting Gus to be fired. I don't like some of things he has done but I see us getting better and my opinion is we are getting better and will beat Ga. and possibly Bama. When you get a little older you will find that not everything that happens is worth getting your blood pressure up over.

Just now, bg5 said:

You Gus haters are really getting on my nerves. Early in the year you guys said we couldn't beat the teams we are beating. Now we are not just beating them we are destroying them. You play the schedule you have you can't do anything about that. I sure hope that whoever you want to replace Gus with is so great that we never lose to Ga. or Bama. I am sure that if it happens even once you will want them to be fired. I'm 53 so I have few years on you one thing I would advice is that you chill out a little and stop attacking everyone that doesn't agree with you. People can have a different opinion and it still be ok. I am fine with you wanting Gus to be fired. I don't like some of things he has done but I see us getting better and my opinion is we are getting better and will beat Ga. and possibly Bama. When you get a little older you will find that not everything that happens is worth getting your blood pressure up over.

I never said we couldn't beat the teams we are supposed to. Have a great day!!!  

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I never said we couldn't beat the teams we are supposed to. Have a great day!!!  

Look back at the post from some of your fellow Gus haters. Lots of people said we would not beat these teams. Sorry to lump you I with that group.

Just now, bg5 said:

Look back at the post from some of your fellow Gus haters. Lots of people said we would not beat these teams. Sorry to lump you I with that group.

No problem. Just for the record too I am not a Gus hater. I want him to succeed. I hope he succeeds.  But Im also not going to continue making excuses for below average seasons when I know Auburn can do better.  I appreciate your optimism though. 

I honestly do not care who calls what and so forth at this junction. I think we are seeing more Chip than Gus and will continue to do so. Gus will never get 100% out of the way and he should not.  I was ready to send Gus down the river, but am the kind of person who gives credit where credit is due.  I never thought that Gus would lose Rhett in a 1000 years.

Gus has come further along than I thought he could and I am satisfied with this change.  I think we have a good thing going so far. Lsu will not be easy, but we can win that game if we play like we did all of MSU and most of OM with a dash of Mizzou added in. I do not see Lsu having enough offense to beat us in that Etling is several notches below Patterson and if we shut down their running game efficiently, we win by 2 or more TDs.

4 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I honestly do not care who calls what and so forth at this junction. I think we are seeing more Chip than Gus and will continue to do so. Gus will never get 100% out of the way and he should not.  I was ready to send Gus down the river, but am the kind of person who gives credit where credit is due.  I never thought that Gus would lose Rhett in a 1000 years.

Gus has come further along than I thought he could and I am satisfied with this change.  I think we have a good thing going so far. Lsu will not be easy, but we can win that game if we play like we did all of MSU and most of OM with a dash of Mizzou added in. I do not see Lsu having enough offense to beat us in that Etling is several notches below Patterson and if we shut down their running game efficiently, we win by 2 or more TDs.

Some good stuff right there. I too was ready to give Gus the boot after walking out of the stadium at the end of the 1st half of last years Clemson game. It was unacceptable to see an offensive plan like that at the college level. I could not bear anymore.

Saw the same after this years Clemson game. Unacceptable.

It has gotten better against lesser competition, but admittedly I saw some imaginative play calls in the first half yesterday, so there is hope.

Still some puzzling aspects as far as I am concerned. Not letting MW run the entire O in the quarter is most notable.

I hold out hope. WDE!!!

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Not letting MW run the entire O in the quarter

just baffling.   Magoo talks about "experience" all of the time.   Uh, the way to get "experience" is to actually play, right?...I'm just riding this out until he improves and learns how to be a HC or gets fired.....I would prefer that he become a legitimate HC, but I think his ego gets him fired

Team is playing great right now. Everybody on this board (both sides) has a great point. Team played great in October last year too. A guy can complain and move along. Or a guy can complain and be made to defend himself the following two days. Guess we can just sit here and fight. Only person that can change my opinion about CGM is CGM. Lindsey is a better play caller than CGM, and for the love of all that is good, play the freakin backup. Two very basic observations. Go ahead.....attack!

27 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Team is playing great right now. Everybody on this board (both sides) has a great point. Team played great in October last year too. A guy can complain and move along. Or a guy can complain and be made to defend himself the following two days. Guess we can just sit here and fight. Only person that can change my opinion about CGM is CGM. Lindsey is a better play caller than CGM, and for the love of all that is good, play the freakin backup. Two very basic observations. Go ahead.....attack!

How about instead of attacking, lets discuss? 

You make good points regarding team play, CCL being a better play caller and questioning the backup QB not playing more snaps. And I think you know you'll get support for that commentary based on how you presented it.

Brings me to the final point: if you'll notice, those that make constructive, well-reasoned, well stated arguments rarely if ever get called out. Think about that for a minute. 

The end. WDE!!!

43 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

the backup to what?  QB? RB? 

You have to careful with the QB. we are only 2 deep with one being a True fr eshman. He has played Willis last 2 games to get him experience. But Stidham has been too efficient not to keep playing him. What else you want them to do with the backup?

At RB, i do agree they ran Pettway way too much in that Mercer game, if he was not 100%. That was on GM. He finally admitted it after this game that how they were trying to use Pettway was not working. He needs to get to almost 100%. 

I understand that not using Martin or Miller was they were not consistent, especially as blockers, but that is the same issues years ago that Tuberville did when he did not play K. Irons early in the year because he was not blocking well and we lost a game we had not good RB play. He comes in next game and our offense got better the more he played. Some times coaches make decisions that make it worse, because they are so stubborn at times.

Not a meltdown ...

we have had 5 games this year where we underutilized the opportunity to make qb1, qb2, rb3-6, wr2-4 and OL1 better.

plain and simple ... we should have hammered down with the scoring and full offense so that we could improve our players and our depth and reduce the severity of injured players.

gus is failing the team with his philosophy.  Example 1 - our O skill positions last year.  What if franklin had been given a chance to run the entire offense in blow out wins last year. Could that smudge of additional skill he would have gained been enough to allow him to qb the team to a win over Georgia?  It needed to start earlier in the season.  If LSU hurts stidham then we are screwed.  Malik could have had at least a full game or 2 of meaningful experience by now if the offense kept the hammer down.  It’s simple planning and preparation.  

26 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Not a meltdown ...

we have had 5 games this year where we underutilized the opportunity to make qb1, qb2, rb3-6, wr2-4 and OL1 better.

plain and simple ... we should have hammered down with the scoring and full offense so that we could improve our players and our depth and reduce the severity of injured players.

gus is failing the team with his philosophy.  Example 1 - our O skill positions last year.  What if franklin had been given a chance to run the entire offense in blow out wins last year. Could that smudge of additional skill he would have gained been enough to allow him to qb the team to a win over Georgia?  It needed to start earlier in the season.  If LSU hurts stidham then we are screwed.  Malik could have had at least a full game or 2 of meaningful experience by now if the offense kept the hammer down.  It’s simple planning and preparation.  

You say five games, I ask where?

Game 1:  Stidham needed reps just as much as anyone.  Guy hadn't played in two years + we still had a viable backup in SW on the roster with the plan of red-shirting MW.

Game 3: We were in a tight ballgame until late in the 4th due to our own mistakes in ball handling.  You gonna play backups with the game in doubt?  And again, our back up at the time was SW.

You're complaining just to complain here.  I'm no Gus defender, but this is just ridiculous.  MW has gotten playing time in each of the last three, including a full quarter at Mizzou.  Maybe the offense is designed to change when he comes in, so what you see JS run vs MW run are totally different things to play to each's strengths.  MW obviously is a better runner than JS, so it's possible that what they are building for him utilizes that aspect more.

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We would of been better off if Gus had never been a very successful playcaller. He is stubborn and cannot let that go. He still wants to be Sean Payton and be that great head coach who calls his teams plays. Honestly guys like Dabo and Urban are better off. They have never called plays before so they do not have these delusions of grandeur of wanting so badly to call plays. Gus even though he still cannot see it is way more like dabo and Urban which is a successful CEO head coach. He is really good at it and COULD be great if he realizes this.  If he would take the approach he did with the defense which is hire a great staff and GET OUT OF THE WAY the offense and this team would be a lot better suited. Even though you can tell Chip is calling the plays Gus's influence is still clearly seen with all the runs up the middle after first down.... This is still not close to Chips real offense. 

Have you even watched enough of the Chip offense to know this?  .What has he done...maybe 3 seasons at two different schools?    And keep in mind that CCL has not had this kind of talent at his previous locations and especially has not had a KJ talent in the backfield. ....or the ability to have five or six guys run with the ball and more than half a dozen good WRs..  I like the diversity he has displayed which mostly keeps the defense honest. JMO

7 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Loser's mentality.  The SEC has always been tough.  We have been at the top and have proven as a program we can compete.  I can't believe how many Auburn folks are willing to give up on beating our rivals just because they are good.  I hope the PTB at AU don't share this attitude of defeatism.  You think Coach Dye would allow his teams to think that way?  

Look, I'm not 100% on either side of the "stay or go" argument, as both sides have their merit, but if forced to make a decision I'd lean towards "stay". If for no other reason than Gus has never "lost" a team or had them go belly up.  Not to mention, look at the schools that have had a bunch of coaching turnover and the vast majority aren't doing real well.  I think stability on the staff carries a lot of weight, and that stability is also recruiting exceptionally well.  There's at least a hundred or schools that would trade places with us ranking wise, so we're not doing too bad.

As for Coach Dye, I wouldn't draw comparisons that put him too much higher than Gus.  Before I get lynched here, I'm not knocking Coach Dye, but his 71% win record at AU isn't a ton better than Gus's 68% - both would equate to roughly 8-9 win seasons. 

If you'll remember there were people that were off that bus too.  I remember the "it's third and long, wonder what we're going to do here - DRAW PLAY" during my first years at Auburn as well. 

All I'm trying to say is, sometimes stability and riding things out are better than taking a chance on the unknown of a coaching search, again.  

In the meantime, how about we all enjoy being a top 10 team with a bit of a tailwind?

War Damn Eagle!

Just now, GoAU said:

Look, I'm not 100% on either side of the "stay or go" argument, as both sides have their merit, but if forced to make a decision I'd lean towards "stay". If for no other reason than Gus has never "lost" a team or had them go belly up.  Not to mention, look at the schools that have had a bunch of coaching turnover and the vast majority aren't doing real well.  I think stability on the staff carries a lot of weight, and that stability is also recruiting exceptionally well.  There's at least a hundred or schools that would trade places with us ranking wise, so we're not doing too bad.

As for Coach Dye, I wouldn't draw comparisons that put him too much higher than Gus.  Before I get lynched here, I'm not knocking Coach Dye, but his 71% win record at AU isn't a ton better than Gus's 68% - both would equate to roughly 8-9 win seasons. 

If you'll remember there were people that were off that bus too.  I remember the "it's third and long, wonder what we're going to do here - DRAW PLAY" during my first years at Auburn as well. 

All I'm trying to say is, sometimes stability and riding things out are better than taking a chance on the unknown of a coaching search, again.  

In the meantime, how about we all enjoy being a top 10 team with a bit of a tailwind?

War Damn Eagle!

Coach Dye 4 SEC Championships, 6-6 vs. bama, 7-5 vs. uga.  Brought the Iron Bowl to AU for the first time and put the rivalry on equal ground.  Stopped the 9 game losing streak to the tahd.  3 Sugar Bowls at a time when that mattered.  4 Double digit win seasons.  No, Dye was no bear bryant, but he restored Auburn football after a long decade following the last of Shug's glory years in the early 70's.  Gus has one good season so far with one SEC title and 3 average seasons after with no wins vs. uga or uat.  Even if you forgive the losses to uat because of how good they've been there is no excuse for losing to 2 pretty bad uga teams. Plus teams play an extra game now than in the 80's giving Gus an extra game to win more.  No comparison.  If Gus wins a title this year then fine maybe we can talk again.  I am enjoying being a top 10 team. Contrary to popular belief around here being critical of an underachieving coach and enjoying the current run we are on are not mutually exclusive activities.  

6 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Coach Dye 4 SEC Championships, 6-6 vs. bama, 7-5 vs. uga.  Brought the Iron Bowl to AU for the first time and put the rivalry on equal ground.  Stopped the 9 game losing streak to the tahd.  3 Sugar Bowls at a time when that mattered.  4 Double digit win seasons.  No, Dye was no bear bryant, but he restored Auburn football after a long decade following the last of Shug's glory years in the early 70's.  Gus has one good season so far with one SEC title and 3 average seasons after with no wins vs. uga or uat.  Even if you forgive the losses to uat because of how good they've been there is no excuse for losing to 2 pretty bad uga teams. Plus teams play an extra game now than in the 80's giving Gus an extra game to win more.  No comparison.  If Gus wins a title this year then fine maybe we can talk again.  I am enjoying being a top 10 team. Contrary to popular belief around here being critical of an underachieving coach and enjoying the current run we are on are not mutually exclusive activities.  

Dye also had to play UT and UF every year- UT was usually good to very good and UF had better talent mid-80s than they might have ever had, including with Spurrier and Meyer (there’s a reason they were on probation)

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Have you even watched enough of the Chip offense to know this?  .What has he done...maybe 3 seasons at two different schools?    And keep in mind that CCL has not had this kind of talent at his previous locations and especially has not had a KJ talent in the backfield. ....or the ability to have five or six guys run with the ball and more than half a dozen good WRs..  I like the diversity he has displayed which mostly keeps the defense honest. JMO

Yes. Watch the highlights of his time at southern miss. A lot of  cool and diverse intermediate routes which besides the mercer game we are still missing. We ran up the middle after first down A LOT yesterday. That is a gus staple. Gus still has his imprint all over this offense. For us to get to where we want and where the talent on this team dictates we need to be more balanced. We still are a heavy run team. We need to throw more on first down.

Archived