Chip calling games like this...

WarDamnEagleWDE

On 10/11/2017 at 2:40 PM, McLoofus said:

You don't have to be a read-option QB to run the read-option. He's plenty shifty and fast to run it every now and then. Most QBs are neither Nick Marshall nor Peyton Manning. There aren't just 2 big silos named Mobile and Immobile. 

Sean was plenty mobile to run the read-option on occasion and so is Stidham. 

Unfortunately, to me at least<  Sean looked better than JS has thus far on running plays....and mostly for SW it lead to him getting hurt.   Just thinking that with our QB situation there is no point in putting JS in harms way unnecessarily. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Unfortunately, to me at least<  Sean looked better than JS has thus far on running plays....and mostly for SW it lead to him getting hurt.   Just thinking that with our QB situation there is no point in putting JS in harms way unnecessarily. 

I have wondered why our fans thought JS was a dual threat when he was 3” taller than SW and only weighed 15 pounds more when SW was running the offense.  He doesn’t need to run often and he needs to slide when he does.

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I have wondered why our fans thought JS was a dual threat when he was 3” taller than SW and only weighed 15 pounds more when SW was running the offense.  He doesn’t need to run often and he needs to slide when he does.

He was listed by recruiting services as a dual-threat quarterback.  Fans did not conjure that up on their own.  Like you, I do not think he needs to run often, and it appears that the coaches agree.  His rushing attempts seem more like they are being used to keep defenses honest with the threat, rather than an earnest goal of Stidham racking up the rushing yardage.  That said, rushing could also open up for him more if the offense can stretch the field consistently.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

He was listed by recruiting services as a dual-threat quarterback.  Fans did not conjure that up on their own.  Like you, I do not think he needs to run often, and it appears that the coaches agree.  His rushing attempts seem more like they are being used to keep defenses honest with the threat, rather than an earnest goal of Stidham racking up the rushing yardage.  That said, rushing could also open up for him more if the offense can stretch the field consistently.

That was in HS...and irrelevant  how he was listed back then.    I'm taking it that you've been watching him in our games and he is gonna get himself hurt ....can't outrun defensive linemen and certainly not many linebackers.   I'd rather he keep defenses honest with his arms...and not his legs.

Just now, AU64 said:

That was in HS...and irrelevant  how he was listed back then.    I'm taking it that you've been watching him in our games and he is gonna get himself hurt ....can't outrun defensive linemen and certainly not many linebackers.   I'd rather he keep defenses honest with his arms...and not his legs.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jarrett-Stidham-30678

He was listed as a dual-threat quarterback after leaving Baylor.  Whether he actually is or not is, of course, debatable, but he was listed as a dual-threat quarterback when he signed with Auburn.  I was responding to a different poster that was wondering why our fans thought Stidham was a dual-threat quarterback.  They thought he was a dual-threat quarterback because he was listed as one.

I would rather he keep defenses honest with his arms too.  His strength running the ball is scrambling to avoid a coverage sack, making something like a 5 yard gain rather than a loss, and I am fine with that.  That said, it seems clear that the coaches want opposing defenses to think of him as a rushing threat too.  Fortunately, they are not going overboard with it.  I have accepted that Gus wants his quarterbacks to run, regardless of how effective they are it.

15 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jarrett-Stidham-30678

He was listed as a dual-threat quarterback after leaving Baylor.  Whether he actually is or not is, of course, debatable, but he was listed as a dual-threat quarterback when he signed with Auburn.  I was responding to a different poster that was wondering why our fans thought Stidham was a dual-threat quarterback.  They thought he was a dual-threat quarterback because he was listed as one.

I would rather he keep defenses honest with his arms too.  His strength running the ball is scrambling to avoid a coverage sack, making something like a 5 yard gain rather than a loss, and I am fine with that.  That said, it seems clear that the coaches want opposing defenses to think of him as a rushing threat too.  Fortunately, they are not going overboard with it.  I have accepted that Gus wants his quarterbacks to run, regardless of how effective they are it.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is the Auburn fan base has a tendency to believe the hype even before seeing the athlete perform on the field.  JJ was going to win the Heisman in 2015, SW won the Elite 11 QB competition and was very accurate, JFIII was the 2nd coming of NM and exactly what Auburn needed to run their offense, etc.

No one has the patience to see how these athletes perform in our system before the expectation is way too high.  I guess that is why we are called fans.  Oh, and if you question the expectation you are a Bammer.

22 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I understand what you are saying, but my point is the Auburn fan base has a tendency to believe the hype even before seeing the athlete perform on the field.  JJ was going to win the Heisman in 2015, SW won the Elite 11 QB competition and was very accurate, JFIII was the 2nd coming of NM and exactly what Auburn needed to run their offense, etc.

No one has the patience to see how these athletes perform in our system before the expectation is way too high.  I guess that is why we are called fans.  Oh, and if you question the expectation you are a Bammer.

Ahhh. A time honored tradition going back to Kodi Burns and Tyrik Rollison. We've got enough Next Big Things the last 10 years to start a Hall of Fame. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Agree 100%. However, when we come up against a DL that our OL can't just push around and the time isn't there, he's going to have to use his legs some. 

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

JJ and SW are totally different from JFIII.  JJ and SW had actually accomplished something to possibly justify some hype.  JFIII had one good game as a backup QB at a backwoods Mississippi JC that Gus/Rhett fell in love with.  Only people with limited IQ would have ever thought JFIII was going to be the answer.  Of course, some doubled down on JFIII hard last season including an "insider".

wde

49 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That is not a phenomenon exclusive to Auburn.  Living in Georgia, I have been hearing about their next Heisman Trophy winning quarterback since Mark Richt was hired. 

The hype around Jeremy Johnson did at least have some on-field merit.  In Stidham's case, the hype really surrounded his arm.  I do not recall anyone with an opinion I respect hyping his legs.  Personally, I consider expectations from unproven athletes to be a welcoming invitation for disappointment; thus, I try to avoid them.  If someone calls you Bammer for questioning expectations, then they have given you the first clue that they are not worth talking to.

54 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

That is not a phenomenon exclusive to Auburn.  Living in Georgia, I have been hearing about their next Heisman Trophy winning quarterback since Mark Richt was hired. 

The hype around Jeremy Johnson did at least have some on-field merit.  In Stidham's case, the hype really surrounded his arm.  I do not recall anyone with an opinion I respect hyping his legs.  Personally, I consider expectations from unproven athletes to be a welcoming invitation for disappointment; thus, I try to avoid them.  If someone calls you Bammer for questioning expectations, then they have given you the first clue that they are not worth talking to.

All I've wanted from an Auburn QB is the ability to keep the play alive when the pocket breaks down. If he can do that, then he can probably also pick up the *very* occasional 10 yards on the ground. Tom and Peyton might be the best ever, but I think a Drew or an A-aron would be the perfect QB at Auburn. Chad Kelly, Shea Patterson, Baker Mayfield... I mean, yeah, just about anyone would love to have one of those guys, but none of them are Nick Marshall or Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton. 

I think Stidham can be in that mold if we let him. Physically speaking, at least. All those guys have some serious alpha in them. Hopefully Stid's got that, too. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

All I've wanted from an Auburn QB is the ability to keep the play alive when the pocket breaks down. If he can do that, then he can probably also pick up the *very* occasional 10 yards on the ground. Tom and Peyton might be the best ever, but I think a Drew or an A-aron would be the perfect QB at Auburn. Chad Kelly, Shea Patterson, Baker Mayfield... I mean, yeah, just about anyone would love to have one of those guys, but none of them are Nick Marshall or Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton. 

I think Stidham can be in that mold if we let him. Physically speaking, at least. All those guys have some serious alpha in them. Hopefully Stid's got that, too. 

All around a solid, and accurate (IMO) post.

But "A-aron" put it into "like" territory.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I agree, and I think that is all we should be trying to get out of Stidham's legs.  His obvious strength is throwing the ball, and his ability to get the ball downfield benefits the offense more than anything he could do running.

Archived