StatTiger

Ole Miss Game Report Card

Recommended Posts

Game #6 Statistical Evaluation (Ole Miss Game)

Offensive Report Card
01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.00] pass
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [56.2%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [6.39] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [61.5%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [15.4%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [11.2 yds] pass
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [60.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [43.1 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [75.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [5/0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [14.4] pass
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [12] pass
14) At least 2 big plays:  [2] pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [192.1] pass

*Minus 2 points for 2nd half play calling and player personnel usage.

Score: 12 of 15 (80.0.0%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:
01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.43] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [44.4%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [2.77] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [33.3%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [33.3%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [6.78 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [75.0%] fail
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [35.7 yds] fail
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [44.4%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [4/0] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [27.0] fail
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [8] fail
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [2] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [136.6] fail

Score: 5 of 15 (33.3%) Fail


Special Teams Report Card:
1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [41.0] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [4.5] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [20.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [43.5] pass
6) PAT’s (100%): [5 / 5] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [3 /3] pass

Score: 5 of 7 (71.4%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

 

It was a tale of two halves as Auburn appeared to be headed to another dominating performance but ended up going through the motions to close out the second half. Auburn had 391-yards and 35 points by halftime but finished the game with 170-yards and 9 points. The defense allowed 204 yards during the first half and 225-yards during the second half. It was the worst performance by the Auburn defense on the season, which failed to register a turnover and recorded only three tackles for loss. Auburn defenders took poor angles throughout the game, and there were way too many missed tackles. Tackles for loss has descended every game since the season opener, which is becoming an alarming concern.

 

The Auburn offense appeared to be headed to record-setting pace during the first half, scoring five touchdowns on their first five possessions of the game. With 2:21 left in the first half and the ball at their 10-yard line, Auburn had an opportunity to work on their two-minute offense. With 2nd & 6 at the Rebel 42, Auburn called a timeout and elected to run the wildcat package, resulting in a 1-yard loss. This play killed the momentum of the drive, which carried over to the second-half. It was the perfect opportunity to allow Jarrett Stidham and the offense to work on the passing game within the two-minute situation. If Auburn scores another touchdown, the score is 42-3 at halftime, and Malik Willis can play the entire second-half.

 

Malik Willis ended up with one series for the game, where he handed off the ball four times to run the clock out. Auburn's best drive of the second-half, was a 13 play drive, which featured 10 Kerryon Johnson carries with Auburn leading 38-10. Auburn's defense defended 49 snaps during the first half, which likely weighed into the decision to run the clock the second-half. The decision to run the football was the right choice but failing to feature Malik Willis as the quarterback to run a heavy-run concept was baffling. Auburn ran the ball 80 percent of the time during their last four possessions, but Willis was the quarterback on only 6 of the last 30 snaps.

 

There were several significant individual performances on offense, including Kerryon Johnson who finished with a career-high, 204-yards rushing. Ryan Davis made a spectacular play on the screenplay for a 75-yard touchdown. Darius Slayton made an incredible catch to gain 20-yards with Stidham scrambling for his life. Though he attempted only 21 passes, Stidham recorded seven impact plays in the passing game. The talent is there to be an explosive offense, but the coaches are often their own worst enemy. There have been 14 occasions this season the Auburn offense gained 30-plus yards on a play without scoring. Auburn has called a run play after all 14 big gains, netting 48-yards on 14 carries. Of the 48-yards gained, 41 came on three run plays, leaving 7-yards gained on the remaining 11 snaps. During the last three games, Auburn is running the football 82 percent of the time on first down.       

 

War Eagle!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




4 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

There have been 14 occasions this season the Auburn offense gained 30-plus yards on a play without scoring. Auburn has called a run play after all 14 big gains, netting 48-yards on 14 carries. Of the 48-yards gained, 41 came on three run plays, leaving 7-yards gained on the remaining 11 snaps. During the last three games, Auburn is running the football 82 percent of the time on first down.     

this why so many are still concerned about our offense. Predictable and stale. Those tendencies will result in losses to UGA and UA.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many times we ran KJ up the middle..seemed like every other play

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

this why so many are still concerned about our offense. Predictable and stale. Those tendencies will result in losses to UGA and UA.

Exactly, if the fans can see it, so can opposing teams. The great offensive performance the past few weeks has caused the defense to be lackadaisical. I thought these games was about getting better each week. Still more work to do , imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Stat. Thankfully you don't come under fire as badly as a guy saying the exact same thing in the other threads. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Exactly, if the fans can see it, so can opposing teams. The great offensive performance the past few weeks has caused the defense to be lackadaisical. I thought these games was about getting better each week. Still more work to do , imo. 

Lots more work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

this why so many are still concerned about our offense. Predictable and stale. Those tendencies will result in losses to UGA and UA.

Surely the coaches have to see what we are seeing? Is Gus just that stubborn that he thinks it is going to work the next time he tries it. 

 

This is is why I haven't gotten my hopes up on this season. Been too many times that he tries this with UGA and UA and we have absolutely no offense those games.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

this why so many are still concerned about our offense. Predictable and stale. Those tendencies will result in losses to UGA and UA.

I hate it. So sad that everyone sees it coming. I wish we would completely scrap that play. 

I wish someone would ask Gus in a press conference why we continue to run this when everyone in the country sees it coming. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, bigbird said:

this why so many are still concerned about our offense. Predictable and stale. Those tendencies will result in losses to UGA and UA.

If that happens Gus better have United van lines on speed dial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone with higher than Jr High coaching experience please explain to me what advantage a team has running the wildcat, other than setting up a trick play for future opponents. I just don't get it. (cross posted)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

Can someone with higher than Jr High coaching experience please explain to me what advantage a team has running the wildcat, other than setting up a trick play for future opponents. I just don't get it. (cross posted)

The idea is to gain an extra blocker at the point of attack and create mismatches.

 

I hate the wildcat...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The idea is to gain an extra blocker at the point of attack and create mismatches.

 

I hate the wildcat...

I am with you and add the sugar huddle.

wde

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you figure an extra blocker when the QB just splits out to WR and basically steps out of bounds?  Seems to me you lose a blocker. I hate it too but seems everyone is running it these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Apraser99 said:

How do you figure an extra blocker when the QB just splits out to WR and basically steps out of bounds?  Seems to me you lose a blocker. I hate it too but seems everyone is running it these days.

Typically you have a wr split out and the QB handing off and doing nothing afterwards. In the wildcat, the QB removes a corner and you replace his spot with a blocker.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In IMO, it seems like Gus is doing everything he can to give Auburn cause to fire him. With 5 conference left, I see Auburn only winning 2 and losing 3 of them.

Which 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I hate it. So sad that everyone sees it coming. I wish we would completely scrap that play. 

I wish someone would ask Gus in a press conference why we continue to run this when everyone in the country sees it coming. 

And ask him why qb2 doesn't get a chance, after burning his red shirt, to run more than 6 clock grinding snaps....maybe even a pass. There'll be no garbage time next couple games. Same as last year, which btw- stat was all over it then too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stat and Bird be careful, you'll be called Gus haters for pointing out the obvious.
Thanks for the honest evaluations.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

In IMO, it seems like Gus is doing everything he can to give Auburn cause to fire him. With 5 conference left, I see Auburn only winning 2 and losing 3 of them.

 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Which 3?

Some high quality analysis from a4e

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was concerned we couldn't get more heat on their QB.  I guess we were scared of his running ability and it appeared their game plan was for him to get the ball out really quickly on a lot of his throws.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CR said:

Stat and Bird be careful, you'll be called Gus haters for pointing out the obvious.
Thanks for the honest evaluations.

I don't think anyone giving honest evaluations will be called out. I would hope not.

Obnoxious, incessant whining is a different matter and sometimes worthy of criticism.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Game #6 Statistical Evaluation (Ole Miss Game)

Offensive Report Card
01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.00] pass
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [56.2%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [6.39] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [61.5%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [15.4%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [11.2 yds] pass
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [60.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [43.1 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [75.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [5/0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [14.4] pass
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [12] pass
14) At least 2 big plays:  [2] pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [192.1] pass

*Minus 2 points for 2nd half play calling and player personnel usage.

Score: 12 of 15 (80.0.0%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:
01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.43] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [44.4%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [2.77] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [33.3%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [33.3%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [6.78 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [75.0%] fail
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [35.7 yds] fail
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [44.4%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [4/0] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [27.0] fail
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [8] fail
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [2] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [136.6] fail

Score: 5 of 15 (33.3%) Fail


Special Teams Report Card:
1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [41.0] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [4.5] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [20.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [43.5] pass
6) PAT’s (100%): [5 / 5] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [3 /3] pass

Score: 5 of 7 (71.4%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

 

It was a tale of two halves as Auburn appeared to be headed to another dominating performance but ended up going through the motions to close out the second half. Auburn had 391-yards and 35 points by halftime but finished the game with 170-yards and 9 points. The defense allowed 204 yards during the first half and 225-yards during the second half. It was the worst performance by the Auburn defense on the season, which failed to register a turnover and recorded only three tackles for loss. Auburn defenders took poor angles throughout the game, and there were way too many missed tackles. Tackles for loss has descended every game since the season opener, which is becoming an alarming concern.

 

The Auburn offense appeared to be headed to record-setting pace during the first half, scoring five touchdowns on their first five possessions of the game. With 2:21 left in the first half and the ball at their 10-yard line, Auburn had an opportunity to work on their two-minute offense. With 2nd & 6 at the Rebel 42, Auburn called a timeout and elected to run the wildcat package, resulting in a 1-yard loss. This play killed the momentum of the drive, which carried over to the second-half. It was the perfect opportunity to allow Jarrett Stidham and the offense to work on the passing game within the two-minute situation. If Auburn scores another touchdown, the score is 42-3 at halftime, and Malik Willis can play the entire second-half.

 

Malik Willis ended up with one series for the game, where he handed off the ball four times to run the clock out. Auburn's best drive of the second-half, was a 13 play drive, which featured 10 Kerryon Johnson carries with Auburn leading 38-10. Auburn's defense defended 49 snaps during the first half, which likely weighed into the decision to run the clock the second-half. The decision to run the football was the right choice but failing to feature Malik Willis as the quarterback to run a heavy-run concept was baffling. Auburn ran the ball 80 percent of the time during their last four possessions, but Willis was the quarterback on only 6 of the last 30 snaps.

 

There were several significant individual performances on offense, including Kerryon Johnson who finished with a career-high, 204-yards rushing. Ryan Davis made a spectacular play on the screenplay for a 75-yard touchdown. Darius Slayton made an incredible catch to gain 20-yards with Stidham scrambling for his life. Though he attempted only 21 passes, Stidham recorded seven impact plays in the passing game. The talent is there to be an explosive offense, but the coaches are often their own worst enemy. There have been 14 occasions this season the Auburn offense gained 30-plus yards on a play without scoring. Auburn has called a run play after all 14 big gains, netting 48-yards on 14 carries. Of the 48-yards gained, 41 came on three run plays, leaving 7-yards gained on the remaining 11 snaps. During the last three games, Auburn is running the football 82 percent of the time on first down.       

 

War Eagle!

Can we get this guy a job on staff? He's the Jonah hill to Gus' goofy ass version of brad pitt...which is a version of some other guy, but srsly!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

In IMO, it seems like Gus is doing everything he can to give Auburn cause to fire him. With 5 conference left, I see Auburn only winning 2 and losing 3 of them.

We've won our last 3 games (all conference games) 144-47. Get a grip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I hate it. So sad that everyone sees it coming. I wish we would completely scrap that play. 

I wish someone would ask Gus in a press conference why we continue to run this when everyone in the country sees it coming. 

That would be a great question. What the hell are AU beat writers asking anyway? "Hey Gus, noticed in the second half what's your favorite ice cream?"

Edited by ausoldiergrad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, like most everyone else, loved the first half and was disappointed with the 2nd.  I am pleased to see some improvements each week in some areas.  This week our running game looked better.

Stat, I always appreciate your input. Your stats are great!  And I agree with your assessment.  However, the one gripe I have is the 2 point deduction on the offense.  As you know, stats should be objective, a 2 point deduction because you didn’t agree with the playcalling in the 2nd half is very subjective.  I didn’t like the 2nd half either, but stats are stats. 

Thanks again!!!  I really do appreciate all the free content you share with us!!!

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now