Ole Miss Game Report Card

StatTiger

26 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I, like most everyone else, loved the first half and was disappointed with the 2nd.  I am pleased to see some improvements each week in some areas.  This week our running game looked better.

Stat, I always appreciate your input. Your stats are great!  And I agree with your assessment.  However, the one gripe I have is the 2 point deduction on the offense.  As you know, stats should be objective, a 2 point deduction because you didn’t agree with the playcalling in the 2nd half is very subjective.  I didn’t like the 2nd half either, but stats are stats. 

Thanks again!!!  I really do appreciate all the free content you share with us!!!

Point deduction or not, the second half sums up the coaching problems most people recognize. We won comfortably but missed an opportunity to get better and to gain valuable experience for younger players. This is how teams maximize and develop their talent, areas at which we continue to fail (or at least not reach full potential). Happy to win, frustrated with the “fail” in the second half.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I don't think anyone giving honest evaluations will be called out. I would hope not.

Obnoxious, incessant whining is a different matter and sometimes worthy of criticism.

it only becomes incessant whining when a person has to roll up his sleeves to deal with the likes of you, sport. people just assume complain a minute then move on, but that aint how it goes huh?

Edited by jAUSon

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

it only becomes incessant whining when a person has to roll up his sleeves to deal with you, sport. people just assume complain a minute then move on, but that aint hownit goes huh?

No. It becomes incessant whining when you incessantly whine. It's not really that hard to comprehend sport. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

No. It becomes incessant whining when you incessantly whine. It's not really that hard to comprehend sport. ;)

ok internet sherrif. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

ok internet sherrif. 

:laugh:

Second half, more like the fourth quarter. We were leading 41-10 entering it. If those weren’t trashtime TDs, nothing is.

• Like 1

There have been 14 occasions this season the Auburn offense gained 30-plus yards on a play without scoring. Auburn has called a run play after all 14 big gains, netting 48-yards on 14 carries. Of the 48-yards gained, 41 came on three run plays, leaving 7-yards gained on the remaining 11 snaps. During the last three games, Auburn is running the football 82 percent of the time on first down.       

these are those statistics that blow up in your face in the wrong type of situation (i.e a hungry starving LSU team in Baton Rouge on primetime) 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

this why so many are still concerned about our offense. Predictable and stale. Those tendencies will result in losses to UGA and UA.

No wonder our kids are contemplating both schools......even more similarities. LOL

Looks like something you'd find here. Looks like they are frustrated with it as well.

IMG_0604.PNG

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Haha 1

One reason they do it is after the big play, if they hurry to the line the defense cant substitute and the O tries to get a cheap 5 yards on a simple run.  It used to work, see 2013, its been figured out now though.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

One reason they do it is after the big play, if they hurry to the line the defense cant substitute and the O tries to get a cheap 5 yards on a simple run.  It used to work, see 2013, its been figured out now though.

I would add that in 2013, nobody could stop our running game because of execution and simple domination. That's not been the case since then.

• Like 2

82% runs on first down, words can not describe how sick of this I am. Has "Chip Lindsey's offense" changed anything. Or, do we still have the "Full Gus" offensive

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I would add that in 2013, nobody could stop our running game because of execution and simple domination. That's not been the case since then.

Agree and also add our neighbors up the road still pull it off for those very reasons. Unfortunately, we are not that team.

The other thing is while we have a great set of starting DB's we are starting to see that we don't have great depth. With Carlton Davis and Javorius Davis we have lock down corners giving D-Line a little more time to pressure the QB. Javorius being out as impacted our D a little more than most people realize. With every one of our starters healthy we have one of the best Defensive Backfields in college football but we are thin and next year we will be much thinner.  I am glad we are playing LSU next week as they have an anemic passing game so might be able to let some DB's recover. The next week against A&M will be tough game they are improving a lot from week to week. 

We have to win both of those games to make this season relevant and we need both the O and the D to be hitting on all cylinders when we play Georgia as that team has the talent to play with anybody in the country. We can beat them but only if we are playing at our peak and even then it will be tough.

• Love 1

After rewatching the game our defense were taking bad angles and getting back to arm tackling. I know the game was out of reach but that is the time to work of things and get some younger players time to play. The offense was very predictable and reminded me of last years plat calling. If we are going to do that then put Willis in and let him play and run the whole playbook. Just really do not understand Gus mind set on this but then again I am not a coach.

If I'm a DC, I wouldn't be opposed to giving up a 20yd gain bc you know what's coming the following play. That's easy to coach and defend. That would leave only two plays to actually defend and get off the field. One of those would be 2nd and long. 

I think Gus has to get MW into the game earlier so he can get some reps when the game is still undecided. If the situation dictates him to enter the game, he will have some real time experience and not just mopping up the remnants of the game.

I would love nothing more than to see him come in against Lsu, and take it 50 yards to the house. If we have lets say a 10 point lead over the corndogs mid 3rd quarter and MW takes it the distance, we will take what wind is left in their sails and send their fans home. Gus needs to be relentless and not let up till the final 30 seconds of the game. We should have done this against OM and would have won 63-10 or worse.

Gus....be aggressive all 60 minutes and you will win over most of your critics.

Edited by doc4aday
corndogs really stink!

14 hours ago, CullmanTiger said:

82% runs on first down, words can not describe how sick of this I am. Has "Chip Lindsey's offense" changed anything. Or, do we still have the "Full Gus" offensive

"LOL" should be the only response this ridiculous post deserves

• Like 1

I have noticed a  difference in tackling technique between the Pros and College. It seems like in college they want to make the "big" hit as opposed to getting the runner on the ground and in a lot of cases it winds up being a "targeting" penalty which is really counter productive. The object is to get runner on the ground period! Not to ruin his life. Below is a video of Pete Carroll's , Seattle Seahawk's  tackling techniques which makes a lot of sense to me. Take out the legs and the runner goes down. FWIW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2017 at 9:18 AM, bigbird said:

Figured out over two years ago. Not sure why we can’t have a repertoire of 4-5 plays that we can run quickly in this situation based on a hand signal rather than running the dive play that everyone knows is coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2017 at 8:41 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

I, like most everyone else, loved the first half and was disappointed with the 2nd.  I am pleased to see some improvements each week in some areas.  This week our running game looked better.

Stat, I always appreciate your input. Your stats are great!  And I agree with your assessment.  However, the one gripe I have is the 2 point deduction on the offense.  As you know, stats should be objective, a 2 point deduction because you didn’t agree with the playcalling in the 2nd half is very subjective.  I didn’t like the 2nd half either, but stats are stats. 

Thanks again!!!  I really do appreciate all the free content you share with us!!!

Thank you for the kind words. Last week I gave the offense a bonus point for a record setting big play performance. This week, I deducted a point for a record setting collapse in scoring. It was the 3rd worst margin of victory after leading by 30 points at halftime since 1981. The average margin of victory when Auburn has led by more than 30 points at halftime is 42.6 points. It was also only the 7th time in 79 games the Auburn offense failed to score a TD after scoring at least 20 points by halftime. Based on previous statistical data, I deducted the first point.

The 2nd point deduction was also based on stats. With a 32 point lead, Kerryon Johnson had 46% of the carries during the 2nd half. With a 32 point lead, Stidham took 30 of the 36 second half snaps. This is why I mentioned poor personnel usage but it most certainly was based on numbers. I would have been fine with the lack of offensive consistency during the 2nd half had it been because we had reserves on the field but this was not the case. If the starting QB and RB are in for the majority of the 2nd half of a blowout game, I believe one TD drive should be expected. The report card should reflect the entire game but should also reflect situational aspects of the game. I would not have deducted the second point had it not been for the percentage of plays taken by Stidham and Johnson during the second-half.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fredst said:

Figured out over two years ago. Not sure why we can’t have a repertoire of 4-5 plays that we can run quickly in this situation based on a hand signal rather than running the dive play that everyone knows is coming.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a Gus basher, but we've been waiting for the payoff on this predictable play for 2-3 years. The scenario you're talking about would allow for more of that payoff, I'm guessing.