LSU LOOK-A-LIKE

AUBwins

Austin Thomas, General Manager....Bobby Brady....

WESHCMUBGTXWPLY.20130506124807.jpg

Image result for bobby brady

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last one for me...I'm making it my favorite.  Such an asset to the profession!

BSEFENGQTRAITMA.20140124194141.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpeg

https://www.fca.org/magazine-story/2011/10/01/jeff-grimes-auburn-university

TRUE LOVE--reposted here.-- from Oct. 7, 2010 --by Jack Smith--Courtesy, FCA

"While Jeff and Sheri Grimes were celebrating the Fourth of July with family and friends in Utah in 2009, their prayers were being answered halfway around the world. Jada Grimes was born on that Independence Day in a remote Ethiopian village. They didn't know it at the time, but Jada's birth was the long-awaited answer to their prayers to adopt a baby- of a different race.  International adoption of children from developing nations is not a story unique to the Grimes, who have lived in Auburn, Alabama, since Jeff was hired as the offensive line coach at Auburn University. What makes their story unique is that their decision to adopt a child of a different ethnicity was made over a decade ago, even before they had three children of their own.

Jeff and Sheri both credit divine inspiration for sparking that first conversation about adopting a child of color. They were waiting on a flight in an airport after a coaches' convention when the subject arose. "I just felt like God was leading us in that direction," Jeff said recently during an interview at their Auburn home, where four children, including Jada, now 14 months, her big sister Bailey, 10, and brothers Garrison, 8, and Greydon, 5, live a hectic but happy life. 

"From the moment I first had the thought, the thought was to adopt a child of a different race," Jeff said. Sheri is quick to point out that it was more than mere coincidence that they both felt a strong urge to adopt. "Obviously God placed that on our hearts," Sheri said. "We both felt that was something God wanted us to do. We felt certain it was from God because we both had that desire at the same time. At that point we envisioned a child of color."

Jeff, who grew up in Texas and played college football at UTEP, had already been thinking of the kind of statement such an adoption would make and the impact it would have on his own children one day and their view of the world. "In our world today, there is still a lot of prejudice and racism," Jeff said. "While it has become a little less obvious in a lot of circles, it is still there. We wanted to make a statement that God doesn't see skin color and we shouldn't either." 

Jeff and Sheri met through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes during their college years, while Jeff was playing football at UTEP and Sheri was playing volleyball for Texas A&M. They met at an FCA Weekend of Champions event and got to know each other through working FCA summer camps. 

They have competing stories about how their relationship evolved, but FCA is at the heart of both of them.  "She completely blew me off the first time we met," Jeff says. "But I didn't give up. I was persistent."  "It was love at first sight," Sheri adds. "We are a product of FCA. Our wedding was like an FCA reunion. We joke that for us it was "Fun, Faith, Fellowship, Fiancé." 

They both credit FCA with nurturing their faith--the faith that would eventually lead them to the poor east African nation of Ethiopia. Like any couple seeking to adopt internationally, the Grimes would encounter their share of challenges. The process took three years to complete, but that time was a blessing to the family in many ways.  "Initially we were just praying for whoever God was giving us," Sheri said. "We had our kids praying for her as soon as this process started. We would pray as a family for Jada once we knew her name and we would pray for her mother and her family and their safety and health."  

Once approved, they were on a waiting list for 14 months. Then came the long-awaited journey to pick up Jada in the bustling, poverty-stricken Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa. The trip wasn't Jeff's first experience in a developing country--he has been on mission trips before--but what they witnessed in Ethiopia was still eye opening. They saw beggars on the streets, residents bathing in water holes, and endless rows of shacks that vastly outnumbered the handful of opulent homes where the country's few people of wealth live.

"It's very busy," Jeff said of the capital city that is home to 5 million. "All day long the streets are busy with people coming and going, donkeys, chickens, merchants selling things. There are people begging on the street." Jeff said the journey to pick up Jada in her native homeland reminded him of something he learned from mission trips to Mexico. Many of the people they saw and met in Ethiopia had nothing but were happy. 

"Over here, we have so much yet we're never content with what we have and we always want more," he said. "Better house, newer car, better job, and we spend all of our time working to accumulate things. Over there, people don't have much. But they have their priorities in order. As much as we have going for us here, we have that totally backwards. It was a powerful reminder that people, not things, really matter." While media accounts some times paint a dire and even depressing picture of foreign orphanages, the Grimes found loving nannies at the House of Hope, where Jada had been taken by her mother, who tried to care for her but couldn't for lack of food or money, when she was four months old.

When the nannies handed Jada over, they wept.  An intensely emotional scene happened when Jada's mother, who the Grimes also met, saw her daughter for the last time before they brought Jada home to America. Jada had just been united with her new parents a few days earlier and was already clinging to her new parents.  "She was extremely emotional," Jeff said of the mother. "It was tough. I wanted to give Jada to her mom. But Jada was crying and screaming and reaching back to us. It was emotional. We were bawling."

Jeff and Sheri want Jada to grow up knowing of her homeland and her family. They had Jada's mother and grandfather write her letters that they will one day read to her. They also hope to take Jada back to Ethiopia when she is old enough to remember the trip. The entire experience has brought the Grimes family closer together--emotionally and spiritually.  "The whole picture of adoption is a picture of what God does with us," Jeff said. "In Romans it talks about us being adopted and becoming children of God. We are not in any way trying to be self-righteous when we talk about this process and how it has affected us. We just feel so grateful and thankful for all we've been given and blessed with and we felt like it was a way we could share that love and that message with others."

It is a message of love that Jeff hopes the men who play for him at Auburn, where an active FCA chapter ministers to student-athletes in every sport, will also see. Just as it did for him years ago as a young man adjusting to life away from home for the first time, FCA continues to nurture his faith. The Rev. Chette Williams leads a weekly Bible study for the football coaches on Head Coach Gene Chizik's staff. A recent message was about keeping things in proper perspective.

"We get so busy as coaches during the season, and it's very easy to lose perspective. The message this week was you are a football coach, but that doesn't define who you are. My players know that I want to win as bad as anybody and that football is important here, but they also know that I am more than a football coach. When my family is around, I hope they see an example of a godly husband and father who loves his family more than anything in the world." 

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Last one for me...I'm making it my favorite.  Such an asset to the profession!

BSEFENGQTRAITMA.20140124194141.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpeg

https://www.fca.org/magazine-story/2011/10/01/jeff-grimes-auburn-university

TRUE LOVE--reposted here.-- from Oct. 7, 2010 --by Jack Smith--Courtesy, FCA

"While Jeff and Sheri Grimes were celebrating the Fourth of July with family and friends in Utah in 2009, their prayers were being answered halfway around the world. Jada Grimes was born on that Independence Day in a remote Ethiopian village. They didn't know it at the time, but Jada's birth was the long-awaited answer to their prayers to adopt a baby- of a different race.  International adoption of children from developing nations is not a story unique to the Grimes, who have lived in Auburn, Alabama, since Jeff was hired as the offensive line coach at Auburn University. What makes their story unique is that their decision to adopt a child of a different ethnicity was made over a decade ago, even before they had three children of their own.

Jeff and Sheri both credit divine inspiration for sparking that first conversation about adopting a child of color. They were waiting on a flight in an airport after a coaches' convention when the subject arose. "I just felt like God was leading us in that direction," Jeff said recently during an interview at their Auburn home, where four children, including Jada, now 14 months, her big sister Bailey, 10, and brothers Garrison, 8, and Greydon, 5, live a hectic but happy life. 

"From the moment I first had the thought, the thought was to adopt a child of a different race," Jeff said. Sheri is quick to point out that it was more than mere coincidence that they both felt a strong urge to adopt. "Obviously God placed that on our hearts," Sheri said. "We both felt that was something God wanted us to do. We felt certain it was from God because we both had that desire at the same time. At that point we envisioned a child of color."

Jeff, who grew up in Texas and played college football at UTEP, had already been thinking of the kind of statement such an adoption would make and the impact it would have on his own children one day and their view of the world. "In our world today, there is still a lot of prejudice and racism," Jeff said. "While it has become a little less obvious in a lot of circles, it is still there. We wanted to make a statement that God doesn't see skin color and we shouldn't either." 

Jeff and Sheri met through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes during their college years, while Jeff was playing football at UTEP and Sheri was playing volleyball for Texas A&M. They met at an FCA Weekend of Champions event and got to know each other through working FCA summer camps. 

They have competing stories about how their relationship evolved, but FCA is at the heart of both of them.  "She completely blew me off the first time we met," Jeff says. "But I didn't give up. I was persistent."  "It was love at first sight," Sheri adds. "We are a product of FCA. Our wedding was like an FCA reunion. We joke that for us it was "Fun, Faith, Fellowship, Fiancé." 

They both credit FCA with nurturing their faith--the faith that would eventually lead them to the poor east African nation of Ethiopia. Like any couple seeking to adopt internationally, the Grimes would encounter their share of challenges. The process took three years to complete, but that time was a blessing to the family in many ways.  "Initially we were just praying for whoever God was giving us," Sheri said. "We had our kids praying for her as soon as this process started. We would pray as a family for Jada once we knew her name and we would pray for her mother and her family and their safety and health."  

Once approved, they were on a waiting list for 14 months. Then came the long-awaited journey to pick up Jada in the bustling, poverty-stricken Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa. The trip wasn't Jeff's first experience in a developing country--he has been on mission trips before--but what they witnessed in Ethiopia was still eye opening. They saw beggars on the streets, residents bathing in water holes, and endless rows of shacks that vastly outnumbered the handful of opulent homes where the country's few people of wealth live.

"It's very busy," Jeff said of the capital city that is home to 5 million. "All day long the streets are busy with people coming and going, donkeys, chickens, merchants selling things. There are people begging on the street." Jeff said the journey to pick up Jada in her native homeland reminded him of something he learned from mission trips to Mexico. Many of the people they saw and met in Ethiopia had nothing but were happy. 

"Over here, we have so much yet we're never content with what we have and we always want more," he said. "Better house, newer car, better job, and we spend all of our time working to accumulate things. Over there, people don't have much. But they have their priorities in order. As much as we have going for us here, we have that totally backwards. It was a powerful reminder that people, not things, really matter." While media accounts some times paint a dire and even depressing picture of foreign orphanages, the Grimes found loving nannies at the House of Hope, where Jada had been taken by her mother, who tried to care for her but couldn't for lack of food or money, when she was four months old.

When the nannies handed Jada over, they wept.  An intensely emotional scene happened when Jada's mother, who the Grimes also met, saw her daughter for the last time before they brought Jada home to America. Jada had just been united with her new parents a few days earlier and was already clinging to her new parents.  "She was extremely emotional," Jeff said of the mother. "It was tough. I wanted to give Jada to her mom. But Jada was crying and screaming and reaching back to us. It was emotional. We were bawling."

Jeff and Sheri want Jada to grow up knowing of her homeland and her family. They had Jada's mother and grandfather write her letters that they will one day read to her. They also hope to take Jada back to Ethiopia when she is old enough to remember the trip. The entire experience has brought the Grimes family closer together--emotionally and spiritually.  "The whole picture of adoption is a picture of what God does with us," Jeff said. "In Romans it talks about us being adopted and becoming children of God. We are not in any way trying to be self-righteous when we talk about this process and how it has affected us. We just feel so grateful and thankful for all we've been given and blessed with and we felt like it was a way we could share that love and that message with others."

It is a message of love that Jeff hopes the men who play for him at Auburn, where an active FCA chapter ministers to student-athletes in every sport, will also see. Just as it did for him years ago as a young man adjusting to life away from home for the first time, FCA continues to nurture his faith. The Rev. Chette Williams leads a weekly Bible study for the football coaches on Head Coach Gene Chizik's staff. A recent message was about keeping things in proper perspective.

"We get so busy as coaches during the season, and it's very easy to lose perspective. The message this week was you are a football coach, but that doesn't define who you are. My players know that I want to win as bad as anybody and that football is important here, but they also know that I am more than a football coach. When my family is around, I hope they see an example of a godly husband and father who loves his family more than anything in the world." 

ToraGirl,

Thanks for posting that article.  He is the kind of guy you would want your son to be associated with!

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Finally getting a moment.  Before I start...just a few so that we can capture history.

LSU football coach Les Miles at his first press conference of the 2016 season. He talked with the media on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 in Baton Rouge. (Photo by Chris Granger, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune)Image result for gene hackman

I always thought Les was a time traveler:

George 'Baby Face' Nelson

image.png

13 minutes ago, augrad68 said:

I always thought Les was a time traveler:

George 'Baby Face' Nelson

image.png

Perfect!!

On 10/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, AUBwins said:

BLDZBJKSXOBJRYV.20170428160151.jpg.1accda04609e5a2e31190262e2b4fdd4.jpg

images-1.jpg

You're killing me Petey, you're killing me! ;)

Archived