injury updates

aubiefifty

Updates on 4 injured Auburn players, including Kamryn Pettway

Updated on October 7, 2017 at 4:35 PM Posted on October 7, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Auburn offensive lineman Mike Horton (64) recovers after injury during the second half against Ole Miss Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.(Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

241 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Auburn rested ailing running Kamryn Pettway in its win over Ole Miss and he was joined by a starting defensive back and several other players went down during the 44-23 victory on Saturday.

Pettway was held out for a second time in three weeks due to heel and ankle injuries that have derailed the first half of his redshirt-junior season.

"We're going to try to get him healthy," Malzahn said, "because the way we've been doing it is not working - letting him play a little bit."

Pettway has only 61 carries for 208 yards and three touchdowns in just three games. He was suspended for the season opener, missed the Missouri game and have five carries for six yards against Mississippi State.

On Thursday, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn left the door open to resting Pettway, who is coping with plantar fasciitis and an injured left ankle, until he's fully recovered and that appears to be the plan moving forward.

"What we've been doing up to this point is not working, where we play him a little bit," Malzahn said. "So we just made the decision: 'Hey, we're going to hold him out.'

"He didn't hardly do anything at practice, there's a lot of treatment. We'll do something similar this week; we'll see where he's at. When he gets close to 100 percent then we'll get him back out there and get him going. I'd really like to see him and (Kerryon Johnson) 100 percent, I think it could be a lot of fun."

ADVERTISING

Pettway, who has not spoken publicly since getting 34 carries against Mercer, was joined on the sideline by starting cornerback Javaris Davis, who also missed the Missouri game due to a hamstring injury.

It's unclear if Davis, who had an interception return for touchdown against Mississippi State, aggravated the same injury.

"Javaris wasn't healthy enough to go," Malzahn said. "Obviously, he's one of our best defenders, and you're (when) playing a passing team like (Ole Miss) it's extremely tough."

After missing two games with a right shoulder injury, starting middle linebacker Tre' Williams came off the bench for his first action in three weeks. He made four tackles in the first half before apparently aggravating the injury.

"Tre' has been battling that same injury for a while," Malzhan said. "He's a tough guy and trying to get out there and compete."

Starting left guard Mike Horton went down with a left ankle injury during the third quarter. Malzahn said it may have been a "relapse" of an exiting injury as well. Austin Golson moved from left tackle to left guard and Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. returned at left tackle with Horton out.

"He hurt his ankle the other day and I think he relapsed that," Malzahn said. "We'll see where that goes."

The Auburn secondary had to replace several players besides Davis during the game.

Starting cornerback Jamel Dean, who tied for a team-high with seven tackles and had a pass breakup, was shaken up during the third quarter as well. Dean came off the field motioning to the left side of his helmet but his injury was unclear.

Starting safety Stephen Roberts was drilled in the helmet by Ole Miss defensive back A.J. Moore while fielding a punt during the second quarter. Moore was ejected for targeting and Roberts missed two series but returned to the field and had three tackles and a pass breakup.

"It was a lot of different moving parts," safety Tray Mattews said. "The great thing about our defense, we have a lot of different guys that can play different positions. We have somewhat (challenges to) depth, but people stepped in and did pretty good."

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

Sports

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

"We're going to try to get him healthy," Malzahn said, "because the way we've been doing it is not working - letting him play a little bit."

Pettway has only 61 carries for 208 yards and three touchdowns in just three games. He was suspended for the season opener, missed the Missouri game and have five carries for six yards against Mississippi State.

On Thursday, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn left the door open to resting Pettway, who is coping with plantar fasciitis and an injured left ankle, until he's fully recovered and that appears to be the plan moving forward.

Wow, way to go Gus.  Some forethought and concern for the player.  Evidently there was an adult in the room when this decision was made.

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Wow, way to go Gus.  Some forethought and concern for the player.  Evidently there was an adult in the room when this decision was made.

Well there was an outcry on the forum here that he shouldn't play again until he is healthy. I'm positive that's where they got the idea 

1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

Well there was an outcry on the forum here that he shouldn't play again until he is healthy. I'm positive that's where they got the idea 

I doubt it seriously, someone has to explain to Gus not to play injured players and a forum like this has no influence.  You should know better. 

Someone on this forum ripped me one time about this......said guys play hurt all the time....has that changed...only play if 100% now?..or does this just provide another opportunity to rag Gus?

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Someone on this forum ripped me one time about this......said guys play hurt all the time....has that changed...only play if 100% now?..or does this just provide another opportunity to rag Gus?

There is a difference between hurt and injured. Players play hurt all the time. 

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There is a difference between hurt and injured. Players play hurt all the time. 

Yep....and what is the distinction and who is making it?   ...is a sprain an injury?   Or maybe a broken finger on a lineman or linebacker?    To me at least a critical factor is whether playing the game is a risk of making it more serious and I'm assuming that trainers and doctors have a voice in that too. .

We had three important guys out yesterday and another went out during the game.....decisions made by the coaching staff for the well-being of the players I hope. 

I recall Cam limping around in the championship game with a bad back...and nobody calling for Gus or Chiz to take him out.   Turns out he was hurt/injured for several games and played through it.   Might have missed it but I don't recall the doctors on this forum wanting to take him out or complaining because he played.  

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....and what is the distinction and who is making it?  

Hurt means there is pain, injured means there is harm or risk of continued harm.  Playing hurt usually occurs when playing will not exacerbate the condition.  Those decisions are typically made by the trainers and the palyers. Coaches rarely, if ever, have a say in it.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Hurt means there is pain, injured means there is harm or risk of continued harm.  Playing hurt usually occurs when playing will not exacerbate condition.  Those decisions are typically made by the trainers and the palyers. Coaches rarely, if ever, have a say in it.

I understood that was the case but nice to see you confirm it.  

So then it's up to the coaches to decide if the "hurt" detracts from player;s capability and that it would be wiser to have a more healthy player out there....or not ?

Meanwhile Tre has missed 3 games I think....any word on when he might be back....seems to be more than "day to day" at this point?

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Meanwhile Tre has missed 3 games I think....any word on when he might be back....seems to be more than "day to day" at this point?

Says a lot about how far we have come defensively and depth wise that he has missed so much time and our D is still playing well.  

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hurt means there is pain, injured means there is harm or risk of continued harm.  Playing hurt usually occurs when playing will not exacerbate the condition.  Those decisions are typically made by the trainers and the palyers. Coaches rarely, if ever, have a say in it.

Does performance on the field have anything to do with these type of decisions? Is any concern given to other potential injuries while trying to compensate for the primary injury?

ETA: Are you saying coaches rarely have a say in a player playing the next week, or an in-game decision?   Also, I’m sure the trainer/player decisions is how it has been handled since the dawn of time, but that has a lot of flaws in it.  How much autonomy does the trainer have?  What are the lines of communication between the trainer and coach? 

Thanks for the insight.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Updates on 4 injured Auburn players, including Kamryn Pettway

Updated on October 7, 2017 at 4:35 PM Posted on October 7, 2017 at 4:34 PM

Auburn offensive lineman Mike Horton (64) recovers after injury during the second half against Ole Miss Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.(Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

241 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Auburn rested ailing running Kamryn Pettway in its win over Ole Miss and he was joined by a starting defensive back and several other players went down during the 44-23 victory on Saturday.

Pettway was held out for a second time in three weeks due to heel and ankle injuries that have derailed the first half of his redshirt-junior season.

"What we've been doing up to this point is not working, where we play him a little bit," Malzahn said. "So we just made the decision: 'Hey, we're going to hold him out.'

"He didn't hardly do anything at practice, there's a lot of treatment. We'll do something similar this week; we'll see where he's at. When he gets close to 100 percent then we'll get him back out there and get him going. I'd really like to see him and (Kerryon Johnson) 100 percent, I think it could be a lot of fun."

ADVERTISING

Pettway, who has not spoken publicly since getting 34 carries against Mercer, was joined on the sideline by starting cornerback Javaris Davis, who also missed the Missouri game due to a hamstring injury.

It's unclear if Davis, who had an interception return for touchdown against Mississippi State, aggravated the same injury.

"Javaris wasn't healthy enough to go," Malzahn said. "Obviously, he's one of our best defenders, and you're (when) playing a passing team like (Ole Miss) it's extremely tough."

After missing two games with a right shoulder injury, starting middle linebacker Tre' Williams came off the bench for his first action in three weeks. He made four tackles in the first half before apparently aggravating the injury.

"Tre' has been battling that same injury for a while," Malzhan said. "He's a tough guy and trying to get out there and compete."

Starting left guard Mike Horton went down with a left ankle injury during the third quarter. Malzahn said it may have been a "relapse" of an exiting injury as well. Austin Golson moved from left tackle to left guard and Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. returned at left tackle with Horton out.

"He hurt his ankle the other day and I think he relapsed that," Malzahn said. "We'll see where that goes."

The Auburn secondary had to replace several players besides Davis during the game.

Starting cornerback Jamel Dean, who tied for a team-high with seven tackles and had a pass breakup, was shaken up during the third quarter as well. Dean came off the field motioning to the left side of his helmet but his injury was unclear.

Starting safety Stephen Roberts was drilled in the helmet by Ole Miss defensive back A.J. Moore while fielding a punt during the second quarter. Moore was ejected for targeting and Roberts missed two series but returned to the field and had three tackles and a pass breakup.

"It was a lot of different moving parts," safety Tray Mattews said. "The great thing about our defense, we have a lot of different guys that can play different positions. We have somewhat (challenges to) depth, but people stepped in and did pretty good."

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

Sports

Wow, walking wounded.  Still have 2 weeks until the bye so need to try and survive. 

Desperately need Horton back. Prince got beat multiple times. If he’s matched up against Arden Key next weekend, I’ll be pretty worried about offensive production. 

1 hour ago, logan adams said:

Desperately need Horton back. Prince got beat multiple times. If he’s matched up against Arden Key next weekend, I’ll be pretty worried about offensive production. 

Agree, we must have AG at LT....

PTW will be great but he is so inexperienced. I would have thought the other Transfer from FSU would have replaced Horton and keep AG at LT. That seems more ideal. But I'm no Herb Hand. 

Horton is the biggest question mark for me. We seemed to finally get the right lineup on the field and he went down. This is a huuuge deal IMO

Recent reports say that teammates believe Mike Horton is fine. Let’s hope this is true and that he will be good to go this weekend. 

Any updates on the injury front?  I know the injured players practiced last night.  How did they perform?

Archived