Finebaum? Really?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

Finebaum thinks otherwise, and talked about it on his show, this past Thursday

Finebaum? Really?

3 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but is there an implication that Gus would be interested in the Arky job if BB is fired???

my thread got zapped and called "rumor" even though it was talked about on a national tv/radio show.   Let me hear from WDE first, and see if he has heard anything from the inside

3 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

my thread got zapped and called "rumor" even though it was talked about on a national tv/radio show.   Let me hear from WDE first, and see if he has heard anything from the inside

Well, if that were to happen then at least both sides of the Gus debate would be winners.  Those who are ready for change get their wish and the Gus lovers get to say he didn't get fired!! Its win-win. 

22 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I don’t even like corndogs 

Those frozen things you get at Publix or Sam's are just nasty to take in.  I love those fresh ones you get at a fair or some type of outdoor venue.  Put a little Guilden's or however you spell it, makes for a great snack prior to one of those mega funnel cakes with a ton of powdered sugar, butter, whipped cream, and strawberries.  This is a meal to die for and if I ate a triple helping of each of these, death could be around the corner!  Nah..........maybe 2 corndogs and a nice funnel cake would easily do the job! 

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

Anybody have an theory or analysis on why LSU is so weak?

It's hard for me to accept their talent level has dropped off significantly, but it's also hard to accept it's simply coaching.  Did they become over-confident and arrogant about Troy and MSU?

I am concerned for their potential if they suddenly get their act together at home.

You know, you have to go back a decade or so and examine Coach "O" at OM. He could recruit well and talk the pigskin off of the FB. He is a very good DL coach. He crapped out big at OM and never had a winning season or close to one.  With this being said, he is NOT HC material and is proving this so far this season. LSU will likely finish 7-5 or 8-4 with some miracles here and there.

Not all position coaches make great HCs. Some do and others just cannot take the coaching up to the level of what is expected from a HC.  I see Coach "O" making it through the 2018 season and then let go. Aleva, the AD is on the hot seat big time and will lose his job if he fires Coach "O" mid season like he did Les. Coach miles is light years better as the HC at Lsu than "O" will ever come close. Just my 2 cents worth folks. I would like to hear other theories.

10 hours ago, djg0017 said:

Yep spot on, the biggest reason to doubt LSU right now is because they are losing the most important battle: the trenches. Against UF it seemed like they had maybe a 6 man DL rotation. Not gonna cut it against our offense despite any struggles they’ve had earlier in the year.

Also their offensive and defensive MVPs are playing like average players at their respective positions.

BR is a scary place to play for sure, especially for AU, but it’s going to take turnovers, blown assignments, lack of effort to lose to them IMO.

We by no means need to take them lightly, but our guys should definitely play with lots of confidence.

I don't know man. Clempson was shallow on d-line. The thing is, if a d-line is having a good night (having fun), they can play for eternity and not get tired. I hope you're right, and we can get them to put their hands on their hips. As confident as I can possibly be, we just have to know- the corndogs are gonna want this game more than anything in the world. I wish they had more wins so we could sneak up on them. War Eagle.

Imo ark is worse than OM and M state. LSU is same as OM M state. AtM is 4th best team in conference imo, so they will be tough. LSU will not be as easy as ark but not much tougher than OM... UA,AU,UGA are best 3, with a drop off AtM 4th. After those its a steeper drop off.

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Arkansas does not have a good football team at all. They will have motivation, and they are at home, but they stink. 

After what I saw against USC, Arkansas is in real trouble for the rest of the season. Yes they will be motivated, but they just do not have the team to really give us a scare. Not being over confident, but when this team is clicking we are as lethal as UGA & bammer.  TAMU will be the toughest of the 3 road games and one where we will have to have our A game and not let up regardless of the score.  I hope that Gus will go aggressive every game left and if he runs up scores so be it.

46 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I don't know man. Clempson was shallow on d-line. The thing is, if a d-line is having a good night (having fun), they can play for eternity and not get tired. I hope you're right, and we can get them to put their hands on their hips. As confident as I can possibly be, we just have to know- the corndogs are gonna want this game more than anything in the world. I wish they had more wins so we could sneak up on them. War Eagle.

They do not match up well with us on both sides of the ball. That is what happened with MSU and Troy. We cannot take this game lightly whatsoever and will need to go in hungry and wanting to win this game big. We have the tools to do this.  I thought going into the season that Lsu would be good, but this just is not happening. The UF game was one either team could have won. UF & LSU are likely equal in many ways.  We are in the top 3 teams in the SEC and there is not a whole lot of separation between us, bammer and Uga.

Auburn needs to go into Saturday's game with their A+++ game. LSU is going to be ready so if Auburn gets the chance to put their foot on LSU'S throat early I hope they take advantage.

Lets honest about this, we can call this a no excuses game or whatever else you want to call it. I call it a no win situation. If we lose Gus is gone, if we win then no big deal that's what we should have done ( no credit will be given). Every game until Ga. and bama will be the same deal. I believe we will win until we get to bama and then we will see what we have. I have been consistent in saying that, even early on when others said all of these teams that we are dominating would beat us. All of these threads seem to deteriorate into the same thing. Gus needs to win or he is fired or there is nothing Gus can do right at this point so fire him. Bottom line is we have to win out and beat one of Ga. or bama most people acknowledge that. I wish we could all just enjoy the fact that we are not just beating the teams we play but winning convincingly. So my advice for everyone would be enjoy what is going on, its fun and stop worrying that each week will bring failure. Some of you are really missing a fun season.  

20 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Not an 11am game. Night game on ESPN it SEC Network. Those worries are over.

YES!!

4 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Some of you are really missing a fun season.  

Whatever.    Some of us just know the Gus Malzahn system of operation and know better than to get excited about a team that he coaches.   Same thing different day.   Load,wash,rinse,unload,dry.   repeat cycle

I don't know if we get the texanm that played the turds well or the one that went 2 or 3 over times with Arkansas. Either way we have to go into every game as if we need to execute every play perfectly to win. I don't think we did vs Mercer. I wouldn't have either. 

35 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Lets honest about this, we can call this a no excuses game or whatever else you want to call it. I call it a no win situation. If we lose Gus is gone, if we win then no big deal that's what we should have done ( no credit will be given). Every game until Ga. and bama will be the same deal. I believe we will win until we get to bama and then we will see what we have. I have been consistent in saying that, even early on when others said all of these teams that we are dominating would beat us. All of these threads seem to deteriorate into the same thing. Gus needs to win or he is fired or there is nothing Gus can do right at this point so fire him. Bottom line is we have to win out and beat one of Ga. or bama most people acknowledge that. I wish we could all just enjoy the fact that we are not just beating the teams we play but winning convincingly. So my advice for everyone would be enjoy what is going on, its fun and stop worrying that each week will bring failure. Some of you are really missing a fun season.  

While I agree we have to win out and beat one out of UGA or bama for me to advocate Gus keeping job; however, I will never take a victory over LSU, especially in BR, lightly.

wde

53 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I think that gets to why some people get so mad at Gus. It's why I get so mad at him, anyway. You're absolutely right. I should be enjoying this more.

But he crapped the bed last season in a way that was super not okay. And everyone knew it. And then he did it *again* earlier this season. So now I can't help but feel like the other shoe is going to drop at some point. 

To be fair, there are plenty of people like yourself who don't have this problem. I get that it's more on me than anything and that I need to just let go and relax. I suppose I'm just doing some self-scouting out loud here, lol. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think that gets to why some people get so mad at Gus. It's why I get so mad at him, anyway. You're absolutely right. I should be enjoying this more.

But he crapped the bed last season in a way that was super not okay. And everyone knew it. And then he did it *again* earlier this season. So now I can't help but feel like the other shoe is going to drop at some point. 

To be fair, there are plenty of people like yourself who don't have this problem. I get that it's more on me than anything and that I need to just let go and relax. I suppose I'm just doing some self-scouting out loud here, lol. 

You can't win man.  They keep saying that a whole bunch of folks said we would lose these games we just won.  I would challenge them to find more than a couple of people who said that.  I even said we would run the table all the way to UGA but they don't want to see that.  I AM enjoying the winning.  I never take an Auburn football Saturday for granted because you don't know how many you have.  Doesn't mean I can't be skeptical at the level of competition.  Bottom line is its not the fans or alumni that have put Gus in this position of a lot of the Auburn folks being skeptical, Gus put himself in that position with 3 straight underachieving seasons.  In 2014 it was internal strife and a bad defense, in 2015 it was a miss on JJ (which should be Gus's fault) and last year it was injuries (which every team, every year deals with).  This year its the old "it takes Gus a few games" excuse for crapping the bed at Clemson in a game we could have won with even an average offensive performance.  If we win 10 or more they will tell us how great he is right up until next year when we go 8-5 again.  If he loses 4 or  more this year they will tell us he just needs one more year to put it all together.  If he loses to our rivals again that will make 8 in a row to them both combined and next year we play both on the road...and I don't see either of them getting any weaker.  Can any true Auburn fan stomach the thought of 10 straight losses to uga and uat?? All that being said, and I have said this repeatedly, if he wins 10 or more and beats just ONE of those two teams at the end then I will be saying bring him back...despite my skepticism that he will ever take Auburn back to the next level.  

For me, its never been about losing per se, its been about how we lose. Sometimes guys are put in a position to succeed and they just don't play well. Running backs fumble, wide receivers drop balls, quarterbacks throw INTs, corners get beat one-on-one, LBs miss tackles, etc. 

Other times, its clear that players either aren't prepared, or were never put in a position to succeed. I can tolerate the former. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Great post. All my trust has dried up with Gus. But man, I love our personnel. So I'm like you, waiting for the other shoe to drop as you put it because Gus has a history of just being illogical about some things.

Maybe I should stop expecting Gus to change in some areas and this expectation of change (no matter how obvious it may be -- like not running a RB into the ground when you have other options at the position) is what makes me get mad at Gus. And if we get a new coach, while he may not be idiotic when it comes to personnel management or might have some semblance of an idea of what his team is good and bad at prior to the first 1/3 of the season being in the books, it's almost guaranteed we would trade a boost in that area for a dip in another area. No coach is perfect, even Saban has weaknesses. 

Even with that being said, I'll continue to be pissed at the runs up the gut on 1st down or after a big play. Is it that hard to have a built in 2 or 3 play package that we run in the HUNH after a big play? Or shoot, maybe even just ONE automatic pass play we would go to after a big gain to mix in with the run up the middle?

Dammit, this is going to be harder than I thought. I'm going to wooosaahh my way into being positive for the players.

Just now, Tiger said:

Great post. All my trust has dried up with Gus. But man, I love our personnel. So I'm like you, waiting for the other shoe to drop as you put it because Gus has a history of just being illogical about some things.

Maybe I should stop expecting Gus to change in some areas and this expectation of change (no matter how obvious it may be -- like not running a RB into the ground when you have other options at the position) is what makes me get mad at Gus. And if we get a new coach, while he may not be idiotic when it comes to personnel management or might have some semblance of an idea of what his team is good and bad at prior to the first 1/3 of the season being in the books, it's almost guaranteed we would trade a boost in that area for a dip in another area. No coach is perfect, even Saban has weaknesses. 

Even with that being said, I'll continue to be pissed at the runs up the gut on 1st down or after a big play. Is it that hard to have a built in 2 or 3 play package that we run in the HUNH after a big play? Or shoot, maybe even just ONE pass automatic pass play we would go to after a big gain to mix in with the run up the middle?

Dammit, this is going to be harder than I thought. I'm going to wooosaahh my way into being positive for the players.

Here is what I'm trying to do.  I have enjoyed the last 3 weeks and am very much looking forward to this week against the Corndogs.  A buddy of mine is having a birthday get together plus Auburn watch party and we will be yelling and cheering like always.  At the end of the day the people who decide Gus's fate are not reading this board so I will just enjoy and see what happens.  If things go well then we can all be happy and hopefully enjoy a special season.  If things go badly then I guess it will take care of itself in the end.  The best part is if a change has to be made it looks likely it won't be JJ making the new hire!!! WDE. 

17 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Here is what I'm trying to do.  I have enjoyed the last 3 weeks and am very much looking forward to this week against the Corndogs.  A buddy of mine is having a birthday get together plus Auburn watch party and we will be yelling and cheering like always.  At the end of the day the people who decide Gus's fate are not reading this board so I will just enjoy and see what happens.  If things go well then we can all be happy and hopefully enjoy a special season.  If things go badly then I guess it will take care of itself in the end.  The best part is if a change has to be made it looks likely it won't be JJ making the new hire!!! WDE. 

YES.

We are a top 10 team in October and starting to hit on all cylinders with the 2nd half of the season ahead of us. The Clemson game (+ ugly losses last year) burned me but I need to put that behind me. We have all of our goals in front of us and looking like we are actually good enough to accomplish them -- while still improving! Great point about JJ not making the change too. This next road stretch is going to be tough but we are good enough to navigate it without a loss. It sucks we would still have some margin for error if we were just average on O vs Clemson but we still have everything to play for.

Archived