Things I Think I Saw (AU vs Ole Miss).....

JMR

Great takeaways Coach.  The missed tackles really bothered me.  I believe we had more missed tackles in this game than all other games combined.  Tackling had been a strong point until yesterday. 

To me, the missed tackles were bad, but not as bad as the jogging around by others in pursuit. That is one of my pet peeves.

• Like 9

I'm curious about the LSU not being very well coached comment. I get the HC is ultimately responsible for his team, but have you seen anything from Aranda or Canada to doubt their abilities? Both seemed to be pretty well regarded prior to arriving at LSU.
Thanks as always for the recap.

• Like 1

Yes, Cox and the WRs are blocking a lot better. There were some noticeably good blocks by them on KJs TDs. On the first one, Cox got a great block after a pretty violent collision on their much bigger DE. Jalen Harris had a nice one downfield on the same play too.

On the 3rd TD, Craig-Myers made an excellent block to the inside, R. Davis to the outside and Cox neutralized his man. There were several other instances of Cox and the WRs with excellent blocks. It makes a big difference.

Thanks for the analysis Coach. I always enjoy them.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Coach I have question.

After most explosive offensive plays, we "hurry up" to run  up the middle for a one yard gain. 2nd an 9.  2nd and 9. 2nd and 9.

What is up with that?

I don't understand it either. But I've never made $4.7 mil a year, and maybe that's why. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

The OM tackle's holding had me shouting at the tv the whole time. On time, he pulled Holland to him, picked both feet up, and fell right on top of him (not a real pancake). I noticed that Holland began to do some last minute shifts from that guy's side to the other side. I wondered if it had something to do with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CR said:

I'm curious about the LSU not being very well coached comment. I get the HC is ultimately responsible for his team, but have you seen anything from Aranda or Canada to doubt their abilities? Both seemed to be pretty well regarded prior to arriving at LSU.

I feel like they do a lot of counter-productive things. Canada's pre-snap shifts and motion will give Steele a busy week, but Florida almost ignored it, especially up front, and I didn't see a numerical advantage gained. I would THINK that's the purpose of it, but I haven't seen it. At least not yet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CR said:

Yeah I thought they were too.  Wasn't it Canada's offense that beat Clemson last year?  

I believe the defensive player that did the belly flop also earlier just made contact with the O-lineman. Then bent over and with his head down and did nothing else.

8 minutes ago, WDavE said:

I believe the defensive player that did the belly flop also earlier just made contact with the O-lineman. Then bent over and with his head down and did nothing else.

You saw what I did. 

I think  many of us noticed the D not being as sharp as in past weeks. I note that Ok lost yesterday to a huge underdog while neither Bama nor Clemson won as big as expected. Meanwhile we were playing a huge underdog who got humiliated the week before. And it's midseason with the biggest games ahead. I can't help but think it was something of a let down day for a lot of teams & players, including our D. I think Gus was concerned about that. Under those circumstances, we should perhaps praise the offense more loudly for their play in the 1st half which put the game away. Or at least I hope that's what why the D was off a bit. I expect watching film will light a fire for them for Saturday, as watching film of the 2nd half should prevent any complacency on the part of the offense.

4 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Still no Sal Canella.

I watched Cannella's JUCO tape and had high hopes for him as a flexed receiver. But my admittedly sloppy count, he's been targeted three times, caught one, and dropped two. So I don't know. 

I expect to see some shorter practices this week.  More mental reps and scout reps.  I think some of our DBs and LBs legs are getting tired.  Still 2 more games until a BYE week. Just an observation from afar especially considering missed tackles and angles.  Normal has to do with fatigue.

• Like 3

Thanks for the response. I'll admit to thinking the combination of Orgeron with some good coordinators could be a better combination than most thought. So far, looks like "most" were right and I was dead wrong.

10 minutes ago, CR said:

Thanks for the response. I'll admit to thinking the combination of Orgeron with some good coordinators could be a better combination than most thought. So far, looks like "most" were right and I was dead wrong.

You're not the only one. I thought so too. I still think if they had a QB they would be dangerous.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Ole Miss perfected the blueprint with Evan Engram.

Huge difference between Ingram and canella 

Prince Tega didn't play a whole lot, but I noticed him on a couple of plays. On one, he put his head on the wrong side of the DL he was blocking, and KJ had to take a stutter step to let the penetrating defensive lineman overrun the play before taking off for a good gain. On another play, Tega showed excellent quickness and balance. The kid has the tools; he just has to understand the game. Head placement for an offensive lineman is as important as anything he does. That last statement is a mouthful...one of my three cardinal rules for o-line...

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

You're not the only one. I thought so too. I still think if they had a QB they would be dangerous.

Les Miles says hello.......LOL. 

I have always thought if he had the QB that some of the other SEC schools had they'd be dangerous. He'd also still be HC there. 

Edited by wdefromtx

No comment about the humidity? ?  I couldn’t remember a game being that bad, although the breeze and clouds were nice. 

Always like reading your insights. I was surprised and relieved that the stadium was somewhat full and decently loud for an 11 o’clock game. 

8 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Coach I have question.

After most explosive offensive plays, we "hurry up" to run  up the middle for a one yard gain. 2nd an 9.  2nd and 9. 2nd and 9.

What is up with that?

Hopefully establishing firm tendencies prior to UGA and bammer...and in both games going play action pass on first down after explosive plays instead.  ("Get your sunshine! Get your sunshine here! Fresh from the pump and pulp free!")

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Hopefully establishing firm tendencies prior to UGA and bammer...and in both games going play action pass on first down after explosive plays instead.  ("Get your sunshine! Get your sunshine here! Fresh from the pump and pulp free!")

Man CleCo, we’ve been establishing these firm tendencies for years now, we sure are going to fool UGA and Bammer soon, I’m sure. :drippingsarcasm7pa: