IDOLS

WDG

Our country decided to replace God a long time ago when it took prayer out of schools.

And for the record I’ve never been to one church ( and I’ve visited many) that sang patriotic songs much less a whole service dedicated to it. Calling upon unverifiable extreme anecdotal experiences did nothing for his argument. Also for the record, singing patriotic songs inside a church is no more worshipping idols than it is to be listening to patriotic music blaring through the background while watching fireworks light up the dark skies. If at one time, a mythical church decided to have a light Sunday morning during 4th of July weekend, so be it. After all, my pastor always jokefully lamented that that weekend was the time when half of his pews were empty as many church members were on vacation or went elsewhere to be with families.

More importantly, I don’t think most people are treating the flag as an idol.  The flag is symbolic to our freedoms that our country has fought for. It’s a symbol for freedom of speech, freedom from religion, freedom of assembly, and many other rights. It’s also a symbol of sacrifice. To have a positive warmth of emotions toward the flag is not a bad thing as if the emotions were illegal or too good to be true. As if we were indeed worshipping the flag as though it was our personal idol. 

We don’t. The flag is blemished. Concentration camps, needless atrocities, legalized slavery/segregation, My Lai, etc, were all carried out under the shadows of our highly esteemed flag. The flag is imperfect, and it demands accountability for its transgressions. Otherwise, the flag doesn’t  represent “the land of the free, home of the brave” anymore than it represents war-crimes, greed, and a lack of empathy for the third world countries that we often exploit for our privilege. 

So, yes, we should respect the flag, and give it its due, but we should also accept it’s imperfect history. Should accept the opportunity that the flag has provided- the opportunity to learn, to grow emotionally, spiritually, and physically, and the opportunity for self-advancement, while also realizing that at some point, in some way, we possibly achieved opportunity at another’s expense. We must be mindful of the minorities that don’t view the flag through the same lens of experience that we do. But should also find solidarity in the shared values among all races, and stand for the flag and for what the flag can provide for all races. 

MODS -- Put this in the politically speaking thread because this is politics, not All Things Considered.

mod edit:  do NOT evade the profanity filter

13 hours ago, AURex said:

MODS -- Put this in the politically speaking thread because this is politics, not All Things Considered.

mod edit:  do NOT evade the profanity filter

Concur. In support of my second, I provide the original Pledge of Allegiance [Frances Bellamy, 1892]

All changes since were made by act of Congress.

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

46 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Concur. In support of my second, I provide the original Pledge of Allegiance [Frances Bellamy, 1892]

All changes since were made by act of Congress.

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

Is this the pledge that enlistee's make upon their introduction into the armed forces?

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Is this the pledge that enlistee's make upon their introduction into the armed forces?

Nope. Is the military required to salute when in uniform and in presence of the flag during the national anthem? Or required to face it during reveille?

MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. -- President Woodrow Wilson once said, "This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation. The choices are ours. It floats in majestic silence above the hosts that execute those choices, whether in peace or in war. And yet, though silent, it speaks to us -- speaks to us of the past, or the men and women who went before us, and of the records they wrote upon it." 

For both past and current military members, rendering a salute has always been deeply imbedded in their minds as part of the U.S. Armed Forces. Sword salutes, gun salutes, greetings and honoring the American flag - while distinct salutes - are all similarly done to express honor and respect. 

According to Air Force Pamphlet 34-1202, 8.4.1, Customs and Courtesies, "[A salute] is rendered with pride as a sign of recognition and respect between comrades in the honorable profession of arms." 

Whether during organized physical training, walking in formation or wearing civilian attire while outdoors, most Airmen maintain proper etiquette during the daily playing of reveille, retreat and taps. However, some may have forgotten the appropriate protocol.

Reveille and Retreat
According to AFPAM 34-1202, 14.10.1, Reveille and Retreat, the U.S. flag is flown daily from reveille until retreat. Reveille is the raising of the flag for the day's activities and is a ceremony to honor the flag when it is raised in the morning and plays at 7 a.m. Retreat is the retirement of the flag from the day's activities and plays at 4:30 p.m.

During the playing of reveille and retreat, uniformed military personnel should stand at attention and face the American flag, or the direction of the music if a flag is not visible. If reveille or retreat is followed by the national anthem or "To the Color," military personnel should salute (during the entirety of the song).

Military personnel and veterans who are present but not in uniform may salute when outdoors [during reveille and retreat] or stand at parade rest. Civilians should stand at attention and place their right hand - with a hat if they're wearing one - over their heart. All vehicles on military installations should come to a complete stop and wait until the last note of the music stops. Military members in their vehicles should sit at attention.

However, according to Air Force Instruction 34-1201, 8.1.6.2, Protocol, if the U.S. flag flies for 24 hours and is not being raised or lowered, when reveille and retreat are played, individuals are not required to stop and salute. 

Military customs and courtesies also apply to Airmen in a physical training uniform. Airmen should stop all sporting or physical training, stand at parade rest during reveille and retreat, then stand at attention and salute during the first notes of "To the Color," or the national anthem and hold through the last note if the flag is being raised or lowered. Airmen undergoing official physical fitness assessments are an exception to this regulation.

Protocol during taps
A commonly known military bugle call - taps, continues to be played at funerals, wreath-laying and memorial services. It also is played as the signal for the end of the day and is played at 10 p.m.

According to Air Force Instruction 34-1201, 2.20, Protocol, "Many Air Force installations play taps to signify lights out or to begin quiet hours. For these purposes, there is no formal protocol procedures required."

When taps is played during military funerals, military members will render a salute from the beginning until the conclusion of the song. Civilians should place their right hand over their heart during this time. 

For more information on Air Force protocol regarding reveille, retreat and taps, go to http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a1/publication/afpam34-1202/afpam34-1202.pdf.

Information from this article was taken from the following websites:
-http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagquot.html
-http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/12/27/taps-national-song-remembrance/1793559/
-https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr4310/text

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Nope. Is the military required to salute when in uniform and in presence of the flag during the national anthem? Or required to face it during reveille?

I have no idea. I thought I remembered hearing an oath of enlistment without "under God", but I'm obviously confused. 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

No. Original (1789) was (best I can tell):

Enlisted Oath: I, A.B., do solemnly swear or affirm (as the case may be) to bear true faith and allegiance to the United States of America, and to serve them honestly and faithfully against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and to observe and obey the orders of the president of the United States of America, and the orders of officers appointed over me.

The one I can vouch for (>1962) is:

Enlisted Oath: I, ___, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the president of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

ETA (in light of yours above), the "So help me God" was added to Officer's Oath back in the 1860s, but not to enlistees 'til 1962

http://www.barefootsworld.net/sui_juris/oath_of_office.html

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

No. Original (1789) was (best I can tell):

Enlisted Oath: I, A.B., do solemnly swear or affirm (as the case may be) to bear true faith and allegiance to the United States of America, and to serve them honestly and faithfully against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and to observe and obey the orders of the president of the United States of America, and the orders of officers appointed over me.

The one I can vouch for (>1962) is:

Enlisted Oath: I, ___, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the president of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Yeah, my memory is failing me - I have no idea what I'm attributing that thought to. Thanks for looking into it.

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, my memory is failing me - I have no idea what I'm attributing that thought to. Thanks for looking into it.

FWIW - I think (and probably won't bother to confirm), the "under God" was added to the Pledge mid-50s, in response to Godless communism.

ETA - Couldn't help my self. My 1st reference above (to Mr. Rex) says 1954

Archived