Humble Observations from AU-OM Tape

Gowebb11

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a coach or video analyst at any level. These are just my humble observations. Also, I'm aware we are a Top 10 team and improving every week, so I'm not trying to be be negative. Here goes. 

After watching the game a second time with the help of the rewind and freeze function, I no longer feel like Gus took his foot off the gas in the second half. We misfired on some execution and it costs us. Some examples (and these are mostly obvious) are:

Stidham needs to run occasionally. When we were in bunch formation, Ole Miss was putting 8- 9 guys in the box and in a case or two 10 guys in the box. Their LBs and Safeties had their eyes glued on the running back and man in motion. On more than one occasion, JS could have pulled the handoff and ran for 10-12 yards before being touched. He doesn't need to do it a lot, but doing it once or twice early could open up a lot. 

Wildcat needs to diversify. Late in the third quarter with 3D and 5 from the 11 or 12 yard line we went to Kerryon in the Wildcat.  Ole Miss had all 11 defenders within 5-6 yards of the line of scrimmage. KJ faked to Kam Martin on a jet sweep look and ran right into a stack of defenders for one or two yards. We settled for a field goal. Kam had an easy touchdown if he had gotten the ball. 

Finally, we could do better on check downs and situational reads. In the third quarter we had third down and JS overthrew KD in the end zone into triple coverage. He had a completely open field to his right and could have picked up a huge chunk of yardage before stepping out of bounds. 

Again, hard to complain when putting up the numbers we are. But if we keep making improvement each week on some little things with execution, November could be real special. 

WDE?!

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a coach or video analyst at any level. These are just my humble observations. Also, I'm aware we are a Top 10 team and improving every week, so I'm not trying to be be negative. Here goes. 

After watching the game a second time with the help of the rewind and freeze function, I no longer feel like Gus took his foot off the gas in the second half. We misfired on some execution and it costs us. Some examples (and these are mostly obvious) are:

Stidham needs to run occasionally. When we were in bunch formation, Ole Miss was putting 8- 9 guys in the box and in a case or two 10 guys in the box. Their LBs and Safeties had their eyes glued on the running back and man in motion. On more than one occasion, JS could have pulled the handoff and ran for 10-12 yards before being touched. He doesn't need to do it a lot, but doing it once or twice early could open up a lot. 

Wildcat needs to diversify. Late in the third quarter with 3D and 5 from the 11 or 12 yard line we went to Kerryon in the Wildcat.  Ole Miss had all 11 defenders within 5-6 yards of the line of scrimmage. KJ faked to Kam Martin on a jet sweep look and ran right into a stack of defenders for one or two yards. We settled for a field goal. Kam had an easy touchdown if he had gotten the ball. 

Finally, we could do better on check downs and situational reads. In the third quarter we had third down and JS overthrew KD in the end zone into triple coverage. He had a completely open field to his right and could have picked up a huge chunk of yardage before stepping out of bounds. 

Again, hard to complain when putting up the numbers we are. But if we keep making improvement each week on some little things with execution, November could be real special. 

WDE?!

I agree the execution was lacking, but there is (no doubt) Gus took Chips foot off the gas. I started counting in the second half, how many times we ran the ball up the gut on first down. At one time it was 14, out of 16 first down plays. That is not only taking your foot off the gas, that is asinine. Couple that in with that stupid wildcat play, and you have what you got.

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Stidham was likely told to hand the ball every time. 

True. And the bullpuppies and trailer park dwelling rednecks will EXPECT the same.......

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I agree the execution was lacking, but there is (no doubt) Gus took Chips foot off the gas. I started counting in the second half, how many times we ran the ball up the gut on first down. At one time it was 14, out of 16 first down plays. That is not only taking your foot off the gas, that is asinine. Couple that in with that stupid wildcat play, and you have what you got.

Gus has a history of a horrible 3rd quarter when he has the needed tools..... JMHO

2 hours ago, WarTim said:

True. And the bullpuppies and trailer park dwelling rednecks will EXPECT the same.......

I am going to hold out hope that Chip may want them to think that. I have no basis for saying it other than a gut feeling. 

6a3cae02b3fe31c88f06b8464326d96c--the-sting-famous-stars.jpg

Did we really need to run up the score on Ole Piss? 

I felt the defense played more of a contain and less of an attack mode.  While they handled it very well, it is not who they are and I hope we play to that strength this week.

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Stidham was likely told to hand the ball every time. 

I agree with you and sure hope so.  Don't get me wrong, I like to crush opponents as much as the next guy, but having JS carry any footballs when you are up 4-5 TDs is a waste, and asking for an unnecessary injury.   Can you imagine how irate we would be if JS were injured running a football in the 2nd half of that game?

8 hours ago, autigeremt said:

This isn't about Ole Miss.  It is about executing for four quarters. A missed opportunity here and there costs us a TD or two against OM. It could cost us the game against UGA or Bama. It's the difference between winning 8 games a year or winning championships. 

49 minutes ago, GoAU said:

I agree with you and sure hope so.  Don't get me wrong, I like to crush opponents as much as the next guy, but having JS carry any footballs when you are up 4-5 TDs is a waste, and asking for an unnecessary injury.   Can you imagine how irate we would be if JS were injured running a football in the 2nd half of that game?

No one is suggesting he become Nick Marshall and run up the middle. The plays I referenced he had opportunities to run 10-15 yards untouched. The point of my post wasn't to run it up on Ole Miss. it was to point out that we still have some cleanup to do on execution. Throwing into triple coverage vs Bama when you can run untouched for a first down will get you beat. 

The better solution was to get JS out of the game and let Malik keep the ball on the play mentioned above.  Then there is no risk of injury to JS, it's a TD for MW and JS spends the rest of the game over on the sidelines enjoying it with his teammates.  

9 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Yes, In so much as it allows auburn to run the full O with our backups in order to build quality and experienced depth ... which might have kept the D Energy higher.  There is also a morale factor for the O backups.  

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

A missed opportunity here and there costs us a TD or two against OM. It could cost us the game against UGA or Bama. 

A TD or two meant absolutely nothing against Ole Miss. Implying that we will use the same strategy and let up in the second half against those two teams is very faulty logic iyam.  Also, just implying at all that we didn't let up in the second half is very faulty logic. We passed on first down a lot in the first half. Hardly at all in the second half. The play calling definitely changed to a time killing strategy. Heard we also played 77 players in the game. If that's not letting off the gas I don't know what is.  No way to compare this second half to the UGA and bama games. 

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

A TD or two meant absolutely nothing against Ole Miss. Implying that we will use the same strategy and let up in the second half against those two teams is very faulty logic iyam.  Also, just implying at all that we didn't let up in the second half is very faulty logic. We passed on first down a lot in the first half. Hardly at all in the second half. The play calling definitely changed to a time killing strategy. Heard we also played 77 players in the game. If that's not letting off the gas I don't know what is.  No way to compare this second half to the UGA and bama games. 

The point is not how many points we scored against Ole Miss. My disclaimer was clear:  I'm happy with our production and results. But we are not a finished product. I was pointing out situations where we were running into 9 man fronts with 6 blockers or throwing into triple coverage when the QB had 20 yards of green grass in front of him. Our last two SEC opponents have elite defenses and we will need to take advantage of every opportunity.  WDE?!

38 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The point is not how many points we scored against Ole Miss. My disclaimer was clear:  I'm happy with our production and results. But we are not a finished product. I was pointing out situations where we were running into 9 man fronts with 6 blockers or throwing into triple coverage when the QB had 20 yards of green grass in front of him. Our last two SEC opponents have elite defenses and we will need to take advantage of every opportunity.  WDE?!

Agreed. My point is that the offense we saw in the second half was not our gameplan for UGA and bama

I hate to say this, but Saturday vs. Ole Miss was eerily similar to a Tuberville "we have a big lead, we have a solid defense, we know what our guys can do, let's be conservative and get outta here" 2nd half.

19 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Wildcat needs to diversify.

I personally liked the reverse wildcat that we used to get Jarrett that long pass against moo state and using that same play but instead letting km keep for a nice gain against ole siss. You are right, the wildcat can work very well to our benefit if we just switch it up. I have no quarrels with it if we do that.

2 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I hate to say this, but Saturday vs. Ole Miss was eerily similar to a Tuberville "we have a big lead, we have a solid defense, we know what our guys can do, let's be conservative and get outta here" 2nd half.

The Tubershell

3 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Except that Tubs would sit on a 3 point 3rd quarter lead.

18 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Gus has a history of a horrible 3rd quarter when he has the needed tools..... JMHO

The point is to win the game, don't make any big mistakes that let the other team back into the game....so just keep the ball and run the clock down.    I guess I'm the only one but playing conservative to win the game. and get a bunch of the 2s and 3s into the game.   So we win by 21......sure can't see a problem with that..

BUT....I suspect there are a bunch of folks out there who are not gonna be happy if bama happens to score more against one of our opponents than we do.  It's like AU has to beat two teams each week.....the one on the field ...and bama too .......and can't be happy otherwise.....which in my view is pretty sad. .

44 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Except that Tubs would sit on a 3 point 3rd quarter lead.

Yep! I like TT and will always have good memories of him as the head coach at AU but this drove me crazy. Once he got a lead going into halftime he would just sit on it and rely on the defense. Thank goodness it worked most of the time because we had good defenses. 

Archived